• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great question. I've never played Mario Maker so I did a google image search:

13300752273_149bf53884_o.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Top is SMW in pixel-perfect vs 4:3
Bottom is Mario Maker

Looks like Mario Maker uses the original internal art in a pixel-perfect (perfectly square pixel) format.

I only have a few minutes this morning. Gotta get to work. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Wow, that's good to know. I had no idea, really thought it'd be 4:3 and have been playing the games like that forever. Gonna give the pixel perfect look a try then.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was really surprised how fast Stunt Race FX played. I remember renting it for a week and vividly remembered the visuals and stuff, but I remembered it as being a very low-framerate game that sorta chugged with the Mode 7 or whatever. But I play it now and feel like I'm quickly sliding around the curves, back and forth across the track and stuff. Game feels much looser and wild than I remember it.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I was really surprised how fast Stunt Race FX played. I remember renting it for a week and vividly remembered the visuals and stuff, but I remembered it as being a very low-framerate game that sorta chugged with the Mode 7 or whatever. But I play it now and feel like I'm quickly sliding around the curves, back and forth across the track and stuff. Game feels much looser and wild than I remember it.
....you must be playing a different game than me.
It runs like dog crap in molasses

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

It does! And that's part of the charm. Back then it was the most amazing 3D graphics you could hope to get at home. Back then its mere existence was mindblowing! I'll give you that the controls are a little bit rough around the edges, but it's totally playable if you set your mind at it!

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Nah, I mean more in the controls and the pace of the game. Completely agree about the frame rate and how it runs, my memory was correct there. Just wasn't expecting so many wild corrections and swerving and stuff with my steering. The combination of the way it runs and the loose controls makes me really stay on my toes when playing it.

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I just started Super Mario World, A Link to The Past, and Super Metroid. I've never actually played ALTTP before, so this will be my first time!

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The rewind feature makes grinding in Breath of Fire a little more tolerable.

Try it out once you reach the town of Bleak.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I just wanted to state again how ridiculously happy the fact that they finally added an option to get the UI text garbage off the screen makes me. :D

It only took a year of begging/bitching!

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
It does! And that's part of the charm. Back then it was the most amazing 3D graphics you could hope to get at home. Back then its mere existence was mindblowing! I'll give you that the controls are a little bit rough around the edges, but it's totally playable if you set your mind at it!

Mh. By 1994 Descent would be out for example, which was smooth and fast full 3D. The Super FX stuff was impressive for being able to wrestle that stuff out of the ol' SNES at all, but it really was crowbarring it. It's neat to look back at this stuff though. I have a big soft spot for "before it was ready" 3D.

That's honestly the coolest thing about this. In a VC like model, nobody would buy a game like this, including me. I love that they are putting weirder stuff on this.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
When launching the app, I thought it would be a good opportunity to finally finish demon's crest. But here I am, playing Alttp and Super Metroid for the twentieth time.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yoshis Island has some weird frameyness when you eat power ups like bubbles or watermelons. Super weird for a version running on extremely capable hardware.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Played F Zero last night. I never played it on the SNES but played the F Zero games on the GBA. I can't believe how well the game holds up. The music is on point, the courses are challenging, the ships are chunky and cool. Definitely going to keep playing it.

In comparison, I tried Mario Kart and found it to play really slowly and just not fun.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
In comparison, I tried Mario Kart and found it to play really slowly and just not fun.
If F-Zero was based on breakneck speed, SMK was based on drifting.
SMK is slower than F-Zero (duh) however jeep in mind that the speed improve once you get to the 100 and 150cc classes.
Both are classic and hold up great.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Joe and Mac 2, it's a very basic game but it's fun and not too hard, although I used the rewind feature on the boss gauntlet to save some time.

It's funny that the game lets you marry someone but it doesn't really have much of a point...

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So emulation is meh?
The input latency is ridiculously good, the games included all run fine, and the online works really well

I've been testing some games and in my opinion, not everyone has aged well. Super Mario Kart, Super Tennis, Super Soccer and Puyo Puyo make little sense if you can access more modern games.

Kirby Dream Land 3 partly suffers from the same, I have only played Kirby Planet Robobot and it is hard to go back.

I think Puyo Puyo makes sense on this service. Tsu still plays pretty much identically to the more recent games, and if being free makes it something that I can see being used as a fallback for friends. Though fumbling through Japanese menus isn't much fun.

Also that was pretty much the consensus of Kirby's Dreamland 3 at the time compared to Super Star. (Sidenote please play Kirby Super Star it is tremendous)

Last edited:

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
Finished Joe and Mac 2, it's a very basic game but it's fun and not too hard, although I used the rewind feature on the boss gauntlet to save some time.

It's funny that the game lets you marry someone but it doesn't really have much of a point...

I actually would have preferred the first Joe & Mac game. Always liked it more ^^

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
If F-Zero was based on breakneck speed, SMK was based on drifting.
SMK is slower than F-Zero (duh) however jeep in mind that the speed improve once you get to the 100 and 150cc classes.
Both are classic and hold up great.

I didn't say it was slow in comparison. It just felt slow.

I'm glad Mario Kart holds up for you but it doesn't for me.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Playing a LTTP for my pseudo-2nd time - I don't remember most of it past the intro so it is kind of new to me, although bits and pieces come back to me. I don't think I ever finished my initial playthrough, I did a few dungeons post dark world. Also, are there actual hints to some of the super useful items? The witch tells you about the ice rod, but the flippers are an even more important item that I wouldn't have known about without glancing at a walkthrough. Also, there was no indication where to start for Death Mountain - I guess you are just supposed to go everywhere and test since the world isn't that big?

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I just wanted to state again how ridiculously happy the fact that they finally added an option to get the UI text garbage off the screen makes me. :D

It only took a year of begging/bitching!

I wonder how long it'll take them to add an option to remove the user/profile icon and also enable us to choose pure black borders?

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't say it was slow in comparison. It just felt slow.

I'm glad Mario Kart holds up for you but it doesn't for me.
What I'm saying is that SMK's speed (and technical part of the driving) is heavily reliant on the drifting (and of course the class and character you choose like any other Mario Kart).
It might looks slower than it actually is in the beginning.
I say this for those who are playing SMK for the first time and never seriously delved into the game before.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Why does a game from 1994 that I have already finished many times take me away from Astral Chain?

Also F Zero is still my favorite racing game lol

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
You really do pick up pace with Super Metroid when you replay it. I got to Kraid really quickly.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't even imagine what people who didn't have SNES must feel like - we're talking about some amazing games right there, the inspiration of thousands of today's games.

I'm starting A Ling to the Past in preparation for the remake ^_^

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yoshis Island has some weird frameyness when you eat power ups like bubbles or watermelons. Super weird for a version running on extremely capable hardware.
This is because most emulators emulate the same CPU/GPU (including clock speeds) that the original hardware had to ensure accuracy. This is why you still see lag/slowdown in old games despite the emulators running on exponentially better hardware.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
After checking out Kirby Super Star briefly, it is true DreamLand 3 feels archaic in comparison. Like Kirby changing appearance depending on your power, the different moves possible, the way more dynamic gameplay, it feels like the foundation of modern Kirby.

DL3 has all the companions, it offers quite a lot of possibilities, it looks charming, I find it quite fun but it also feels so different from what Kirby is nowadays. DL3 feels like some sort of retro throwback to the gameboy games (calling it DreamLand feels adequate). Even Kirby adventure on NES feels more in line with SS and modern Kirby. I suppose it has to do with Sakurai directing them.

It is still weird since DL3 came out after SS. Maybe they were targeting an even younger audience ? It was SNES final year so they maybe thought snes was mostly an entry point for very young kids ? Kirby 64 also rather feels like a DreamLand game rather than modern Kirby. Interestingly enough, I just found out Shinichi Shimomura directed both (and DL2) and seems to be a complete mystery.

I hope SS will come quickly on switch, I can't wait to play it.

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
This is because most emulators emulate the same CPU/GPU (including clock speeds) that the original hardware had to ensure accuracy. This is why you still see lag/slowdown in old games despite the emulators running on exponentially better hardware.
So these particular things lagged in the original game? Never played the original so I have no idea.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Save states really make all the difference. It sure the worm boss in LttP with the tail and falling out of the arena. I think I'm gonna finally beat LttP this time, finished the dark palace.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh dang. I didn't know you can only play online against friends.

I don't have enough of those or time to coordinate matches.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Wow, that's good to know. I had no idea, really thought it'd be 4:3 and have been playing the games like that forever. Gonna give the pixel perfect look a try then.

But SMW uses different physics. My impression is that the physics is designed for 4:3, I can't play in pixel perfect mode, feels wrong.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4:3 is a complete no-go because of how the ratio scales to 720p on the Switch. Way too much of the screen real estate goes unused as a result.

Oct 27, 2017
After checking out Kirby Super Star briefly, it is true DreamLand 3 feels archaic in comparison. Like Kirby changing appearance depending on your power, the different moves possible, the way more dynamic gameplay, it feels like the foundation of modern Kirby.

DL3 has all the companions, it offers quite a lot of possibilities, it looks charming, I find it quite fun but it also feels so different from what Kirby is nowadays. DL3 feels like some sort of retro throwback to the gameboy games (calling it DreamLand feels adequate). Even Kirby adventure on NES feels more in line with SS and modern Kirby. I suppose it has to do with Sakurai directing them.

It is still weird since DL3 came out after SS. Maybe they were targeting an even younger audience ? It was SNES final year so they maybe thought snes was mostly an entry point for very young kids ? Kirby 64 also rather feels like a DreamLand game rather than modern Kirby. Interestingly enough, I just found out Shinichi Shimomura directed both (and DL2) and seems to be a complete mystery.

I hope SS will come quickly on switch, I can't wait to play it.
You can say the Kirby series branched into two different sub-series after Kirby's Adventures. Super Star ignored everything Dream Land 2 introduced and, on the other hand as you said, DreamLand 3 and 64 do the same with Super Star. Not only the gameplay is different, but the characters too: e.g. Meta Knight is nowhere to be seen in the DL games.

Nowadays the Kirby formula builds on Super Star and DL2-3-64 are the outliers. You should try to play them for what they are - very slow platforms with some puzzles here and there and a very cute artstyle - without comparing them to modern Kirby, even though they have the same main character.

Status
Not open for further replies.