• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm pretty sure these slowdowns were on original hardware. I know once I thought I noticed emulator slowdown in SMW but when watching a lets play on original hardware... the slowdown was there as well.

I've read in Spanish forums that there are slowdowns and frame drops in some games that weren't present in their original versions.

That's because often the games over here in Europe wouldn't slow down in the same place that the US version's did, due to ours only running at 50hz and not being as taxing on the hardware.

So now Europeans are seeing the US versions, they have slowdown they don't remember, but that has always been there in the US versions.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
isnt the wall jump in Metroid a bit of a fudge of the mechanics anyway and not something actually official youre supposed to be able to do?

Nov 4, 2017
Come on, LttP is easily in the bottom 20 mainline Zelda games.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's definitely the worst Zelda game on the SNES.

Man I'm having a blast playing some of my favourite games of all time. I did notice a bit of screen tearing in the Yoshi's Island opening, and the inability to hide the UI is a pain, but other than that it's excellent. Oh and being able to swap the bumper and trigger roles would make me happy.

I definitely need to get one of those SNES controllers ASAP though. The d-pad on the Pro is very noticeably bad in these games :(

Random question: how is the d-pad on the SFC 8bitdo controllers? If it's good I figured I could just pay a little more for a controller I can use for more games/systems.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's definitely the worst Zelda game on the SNES.

Man I'm having a blast playing some of my favourite games of all time. I did notice a bit of screen tearing in the Yoshi's Island opening, and the inability to hide the UI is a pain, but other than that it's excellent. Oh and being able to swap the bumper and trigger roles would make me happy.

I definitely need to get one of those SNES controllers ASAP though. The d-pad on the Pro is very noticeably bad in these games :(

Random question: how is the d-pad on the SFC 8bitdo controllers? If it's good I figured I could just pay a little more for a controller I can use for more games/systems.

D-pads on 8bitdo controllers are super hit-and-miss. Mine is pretty good, but I've read TONS of reports from users who've had issues with theirs. If the official Switch SNES controllers are anything like the SNES Classic controllers, the d-pad should be great.

can't tell if this is a joke or I just havent gotten to it yet /shrug
not a joke

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Kirby Dreamland 3 is charming. It has great spritework and the various partner combinations are fun. Sure it seems a bit limited compared to the more modern entries but it is still enjoyable.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Kirby Dreamland 3 is charming. It has great spritework and the various partner combinations are fun. Sure it seems a bit limited compared to the more modern entries but it is still enjoyable.

To make it a better game, be sure to go for the special task on each level to earn the start/heart thing.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
now not sure if I actually played Super Metroid as a kid or I just absorbed information over the years from various random videos, but theres a grappling hook right? For these metal ceilings.

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
That's because often the games over here in Europe wouldn't slow down in the same place that the US version's did, due to ours only running at 50hz and not being as taxing on the hardware.

So now Europeans are seeing the US versions, they have slowdown they don't remember, but that has always been there in the US versions.

That makes sense.

Nov 4, 2017
D-pads on 8bitdo controllers are super hit-and-miss. Mine is pretty good, but I've read TONS of reports from users who've had issues with theirs. If the official Switch SNES controllers are anything like the SNES Classic controllers, the d-pad should be great.
Cheers. I've read super mixed things too. If the official SNES controllers are based in the original design, they should be god-tier. It's only 40 dollarydoos, I'll just go ahead and order one and maybe look at getting a 8bitdo later.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Finished SMW yesterday, that was surprisingly quick! And I'm playing Demon's Crest atm, never heard of it before and it's pretty good. Man, playing these games on the go is pure joy and worth the long wait!

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I've been testing some games and in my opinion, not everyone has aged well. Super Mario Kart, Super Tennis, Super Soccer and Puyo Puyo make little sense if you can access more modern games.
SMK is still good IMO.
It's just that it's very different from the true 3D MK so you need to adapt to it.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Most of these games are such tight experiences. They (mostly) last anywhere between 7 and 15 hours and are paced marvelously.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Never played demons crest. What can I expect? Liking it so far.

You can expect to have no idea what you're doing and then accidentally beat the final boss and get the bad ending an hour or two in. I really need to try it out again, after 'beating' it on the Wii U. It sorta felt like it demanded an actual guide.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
You can expect to have no idea what you're doing and then accidentally beat the final boss and get the bad ending an hour or two in. I really need to try it out again, after 'beating' it on the Wii U. It sorta felt like it demanded an actual guide.

Lol that sounds like a bit of a mess. I wasn't expecting that kind of unexpectedness.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't sleep on Breath of Fire guys. It's moderate difficulty, straightforward, turn-based RPG goodness. Cliche story, but you know what? It's zen.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd like to see them add:

Kirby Superstar
Super Mario RPG
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy II & III (IV & VI)
Donkey Kong Country 1-3

to start with.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
It's limited compared to Super Star, which came out the year before!
Yeah, that was a real kick in the teeth.

Apr 21, 2018
Cheers. I've read super mixed things too. If the official SNES controllers are based in the original design, they should be god-tier. It's only 40 dollarydoos, I'll just go ahead and order one and maybe look at getting a 8bitdo later.

This might be a dumb question, but can we use the SNES switch controller with non-SNES games? I would love to use it for indies/fighters/Mario Maker.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I should give Super Metroid a proper go. I've tried to get into it multiple times, but I just absolutely hate how Samus controls, and it always put me off.

At the furthest I got progression wise, I had:
Charge Beam
Spazer Beam
Varia Suit
Morph Ball and Bomb
Hi-Jump
Speed Boost
35 missiles
5 big missiles
2 pink energy squares

And I was at Norfair.

I have no idea how far in that is though.
I love the art, music and atmosphere, but I've never enjoyed playing it.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
SMK is still good IMO.
It's just that it's very different from the true 3D MK so you need to adapt to it.
Yes it is. Played some last night. Felt tight as ever. I started at 50cc mushroom and nearly lapped the 2nd place racer on one track. It controls like a dream. Just different than the modern ones.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I used to be a badass at Super Soccer back in the day. I tried it yesterday and got my arse kicked by the CPU. I forgot all about the day referee that comes on to the pitch when you commit a foul. Hah.

Nov 4, 2017
This might be a dumb question, but can we use the SNES switch controller with non-SNES games? I would love to use it for indies/fighters/Mario Maker.
That's.... Actually a pretty good question. I assume they work with the NES games, but the lack of sticks and motion would rule out a lot of games. I'd definitely prefer to play Hollow Knight with the SNES controller.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I feel like I should give Super Metroid a proper go. I've tried to get into it multiple times, but I just absolutely hate how Samus controls, and it always put me off.

At the furthest I got progression wise, I had:
Charge Beam
Spazer Beam
Varia Suit
Morph Ball and Bomb
Hi-Jump
Speed Boost
35 missiles
5 big missiles
2 pink energy squares

And I was at Norfair.

I have no idea how far in that is though.
I love the art, music and atmosphere, but I've never enjoyed playing it.

About a 3rd of the way.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017

On the Nintendo website it says this about the snes controllers:
Super Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers are compatible with Nintendo Switch software titles that require only the directional buttons and A/B/X/Y/L/R Buttons, such as Super Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online.

Which is different from what it says about the NES controllers:
Please note: Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers can only be used while detached from the Nintendo Switch system, and only to play NES – Nintendo Switch Online games

https://www.nintendo.com.au/

So that sounds promising.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played Super Metroid years ago and enjoyed it well enough, but didn't really love it. I think I'm loving it now though <3

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
As someone that really couldn't get into NES games, I am having a ton of fun here. It's making me think about how if they ever add GB or GBA games it would be out of control for me lol

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, until they made a N64 mini or gameboy/gba collection, i dont expect another console on the online. Their would make way more money selling a n64 mini than adding the library online for 20$

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Is breath of fire any good?

I played and beat Breat of Fire for the first time about five years ago and, aside from my love for 16 bit RPGs, I had zero nostalgia, since I had never played a BOF game.

Well, I really, really enjoyed it. Since it's done by Capcom, it's a bit different from other RPGs of the time when it comes to the graphics and the music, and I appreciate that a lot. After I beat it, I instantly started BOF2 and it's even better.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I played and beat Breat of Fire for the first time about five years ago and, aside from my love for 16 bit RPGs, I had zero nostalgia, since I had never played a BOF game.

Well, I really, really enjoyed it. Since it's done by Capcom, it's a bit different from other RPGs of the time when it comes to the graphics and the music, and I appreciate that a lot. After I beat it, I instantly started BOF2 and it's even better.
Thanks! Will try!

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

This was my experience too. I never understood the praise this game gets other than the nice graphics. The gameplay feels slow and clunky. The music is depressive and lacks punch or catchiness. The minigame where you have to jump and break things in the wall is pure bullshit. The game doesn't have a whole lot of content/levels and is very short once you remove all the backtracking. A good chunk of said content (including the only non-bad ending) is hidden behind obscure secrets that I can't imagine anyone finding on their own without a guide. The real final boss is absolute bullshit. I have no desire to ever replay this game.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
So after playing Super Metroid for like 5 times, I have finally decided to sequence break the shit out of it. That game is still so fucking GOOD.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
. A good chunk of said content (including the only non-bad ending) is hidden behind obscure secrets that I can't imagine anyone finding on their own without a guide. The real final boss is absolute bullshit. I have no desire to ever replay this game.

Weird...
I've finished it and beat the real boss when the game was released.
I didn't have any pbs at all finding the secrets,without a guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.