• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I always use CRT/scanline filters when playing old sprite stuff on my TV but not sure if I like it handheld. Hmm.
In general small screens probably work better with raw pixel output since you can't really see individual pixels that well. But a lot of games look like a hot mess when you play them on the big screen IMO and were never really intended to be blown up like that without CRT blending. I honestly cannot stand raw pixels on large screens unless the pixels are very detailed.

Can someone tell me how the CRT filter is on this? Did they put work into it, or does it just look like a really crappy CRT line filter.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Started with the games I had never played (or even heard of) before and gotta say: Demon's Crest and Joe & Mac are actually quite fun.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
posting this here as well, here are the first party titles i want to come:

Super Mario All-Stars
EarthBound
Super Punch-Out!!
Donkey Kong Country
Wario's Woods
Kirby's Avalanche
Mario's Super Picross
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (they would need SE's permission i think?)
Kirby Super Star
Tetris Attack
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
Dr. Mario
Metal Slader Glory: Director's Cut (not gonna happen)
Star Fox 2

i think most of them will eventually be added

Last edited:

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I didn't play the NES games in Switch and haven't had a chance to try SNES games yet, but do the NES/SNES games allow for save states or do you have to save a game normally (for those that even have saves)?

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
In general small screens probably work better with raw pixel output since you can't really see individual pixels that well. But a lot of games look like a hot mess when you play them on the big screen IMO and were never really intended to be blown up like that without CRT blending. I honestly cannot stand raw pixels on large screens unless the pixels are very detailed.

Can someone tell me how the CRT filter is on this? Did they put work into it, or does it just look like a really crappy CRT line filter.
It does a nice job of emulating an analog signal by applying a horizontal linear filter, but they also added in some composite video artifacts which are pretty ugly. It's a shame you can't customize the effect a little to decide how you'd like it filtered. Separate options for filter type, scanlines, and composite signal simulation would be neat, but that's too in-depth for Nintendo.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Feb 24, 2018
So like with the NES App, can you download the Super Famicon app as well if you also have a Japanese account because the Switch is Region Free?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So like with the NES App, can you download the Super Famicon app as well if you also have a Japanese account because the Switch is Region Free?

any differences in the lineup?

when should we expect the controllers to be available to order? On the uk site they have a product page and price but no buy/preorder button (even when signed in)

Feb 24, 2018
any differences in the lineup?

when should we expect the controllers to be available to order? On the uk site they have a product page and price but no buy/preorder button (even when signed in)
Not yet but the Famicom app got several games the NES one didn't so it's nice to have both, plus it's nice looking at the different artwork.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Does pixel perfect retain the correct aspect ratio of games? What disadvantages does 4:3 mode have? Thanks!

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Actually there is one difference between the Super NES and Super Famicom lineups.

The Super NES app has Super Tennis while the Super Famicom app has Super Family Tennis (which came out in the west as Smash Tennis)

These are not the same tennis game.

Feb 24, 2018
Actually there is one difference between the Super NES and Super Famicom lineups.

The Super NES app has Super Tennis while the Super Famicom app has Super Family Tennis (which came out in the west as Smash Tennis)

But will the game that allows you to play Football with Godzilla, Ultraman, Gundam and Kamen Rider be there?
Battlesoccersfc.jpg

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Does pixel perfect retain the correct aspect ratio of games? What disadvantages does 4:3 mode have? Thanks!

That's a tricky question...

Pixel perfect just means that each pixel is a square like modern screens.

However, CRTs did not use square pixels - in fact they don't use pixels at all. It's just a beam of light drawn in lines, left to right and from top to bottom.

The CRT doesn't care what aspect ratio the original console was processing the pixels inside their PPUs: it's going to draw a 4:3 image on the screen.

So the internal 8:7 aspect ratio of the SNES will automatically be stretched out to 4:3 when playing on a CRT. This is how everyone played these games back in the day.

So it really comes down to preference: do you prefer square pixels, or how the image is displayed on a CRT? When playing in stretched 4:3 mode, you can have upscaling artifacts because each pixel is no longer a square. I've personally never had a problem with this.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

My god I loved Super Tennis as a kid but this plays so much better o.o

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tried Joe & Mac 2 and it was surprisingly good. Rewind feature is golden, I'm not interested in replaying sections and it lets you decide difficulty for yourself.

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
Is there any chance that we'll get some of the Square games from the SNES Classic on the SNES app? Is it possible that Nintendo could have gotten rights to add them to the SNES app as part of the agreement for the SNES Classic?

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017
Haven't played almost all of these games before, so it's a bunch of new experiences

They're so cooooool

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Giving us NA boxart in Europe is really lazy, I want my SMK to have a Blue box dammit

Nov 3, 2017
I just played a bunch of Super Mario World with my friend via the Internet and it worked really well?! We had 0 bars (yes zero) and it still worked with little to no lag!

this is really surprising considering how NES games were unplayable for us

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
That's a tricky question...

Pixel perfect just means that each pixel is a square like modern screens.

However, CRTs did not use square pixels - in fact they don't use pixels at all. It's just a beam of light drawn in lines, left to right and from top to bottom.

The CRT doesn't care what aspect ratio the original console was processing the pixels inside their PPUs: it's going to draw a 4:3 image on the screen.

So the internal 8:7 aspect ratio of the SNES will automatically be stretched out to 4:3 when playing on a CRT. This is how everyone played these games back in the day.

So it really comes down to preference: do you prefer square pixels, or how the image is displayed on a CRT? When playing in stretched 4:3 mode, you can have upscaling artifacts because each pixel is no longer a square. I've personally never had a problem with this.

Thanks a lot, i suspected this. So the games are designed for 4:3 and appear slightly squished in pixel perfect mode, got it! ☺ Will keep playing in 4:3 as I did not see any scaling artifacts.

Also, it seems I never actually played though Zelda: Link to the Past... I always thought I did, but actually the experience seems so fresh to me that it seems I only played it in short bursts and never really sat down and tried to put my mind to it and beat it. Having these games on Switch really is awesome!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Star Fox looks and runs like complete crap nowadays, but I still have a ton of fun every time I replay it. I ran through route 1 & 2 and it was like I was a kid all over again.

I really hope the Star Fox 2 is part of the next batch of SNES games, whenever that happens to drop.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
All it takes for me to dust off my Switch is Super Metroid. Everything else is great too! I never would've expected them to add Super EDF. For me, they're just missing Kirby Superstar, Killer Instinct (prob not happening), and DKC1-3 and I think that's about it when it comes to first party games I own/played as a wee lad.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll ask again but is there something wrong with the start button with these games? I'm playing Super Mario World and no menu comes up. Was there never one to save whenever I wanted? I don't remember. As it is I can only choose to save when I beat a castle. I don't remember that.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I'll ask again but is there something wrong with the start button with these games? I'm playing Super Mario World and no menu comes up. Was there never one to save whenever I wanted? I don't remember. As it is I can only choose to save when I beat a castle. I don't remember that.

Yeah that's how Super Mario World is. Beat a castle, fortress, switch palace, or ghost house to save. But you can just press ZL and ZR to bring up the emulator's menu and save a state there wherever you are.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Is it just me (EU region) or is there a random Japanese game that has made it into the lineup. I cannot tell you what it is, because I cannot read it!

Actually may do a playthrough of Metroid, because I have never ever done so before. I've done Metroid Advance and most of Metroid Prime in the past.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

No, that is the game. The save points are pretty weird. After a while, you get to know what events/levels in the game trigger a save point and can exploit that.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Is it just me (EU region) or is there a random Japanese game that has made it into the lineup. I cannot tell you what it is, because I cannot read it!

That's Puyo Puyo 2.

It's pretty rare, but Nintendo have given us untranslated Japanese games before, such as Mario's Super Picross for the SNES on Virtual Console.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Actually may do a playthrough of Metroid, because I have never ever done so before. I've done Metroid Advance and most of Metroid Prime in the past.

looks like puyo puyo - interesting - and with the proper japanese box art too

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Love nearly all these games. Super excited that they included Demons Crest, which is an amazing game.

Now please give me Actraiser and EVO: Search for Eden

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
So happy to be able to play Yoshi's Island for the first time.

Whats the favoured egg throwing control scheme, hold or tap? At the moment I prefer holding but i'm finding both a bit awkward.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah it looks so weird and out of the place in the tile set

Japanese tiles look so great and neat on their app

Status
Not open for further replies.