• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pick One

• Chrono Trigger

Votes: 649 59.7%
  • Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 335 30.8%
  • I can't choose (you've failed!)

Votes: 103 9.5%

• Total voters

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
FF6 is one of my favorite games. I'm very biased towards it.

Still, CT just is the better game. I can barely find fault with it.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
In the past I would have said FF6 edges out CT, but after replaying FF6 recently I think it's the other way round. There's nothing quite like CT, while FF6 stutters a bit in the WoR when the tight story pacing falls apart.

They're still both excellent.

(FFV is very close behind both)

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
It's Chrono Trigger for me. They're both among my favourite games ever made and are in my top five, but Chrono Trigger is #1 while Final Fantasy VI is like #3 or #4 for me. I decided ages ago that I liked Chrono Trigger slightly more, but the two are roughly equal in my estimation. I just find Chrono Trigger a bit more effective since I think it's a better made game (but only slightly so).

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Both top 3 games(with Xenogears). FFVI has the better story and characters. Chrono Trigger has the better music and battle system. I play RPGs for the characters. FFVI wins.

picasso

Oct 28, 2017
how on earth is CT winning this so handily? FFVI is the GOAT, without question. And I played both of them in real time, as a child of the 80s. It's not even close.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I played through FFVI for the first time this year hot off the heels of FFV and I thought it was a great game, but not of the same caliber as Chrono Trigger. I loved the music and characters but I found the way the story was delivered a little disjointed and frustrating.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Trigger and it's not even close. More memorable characters, locales, unique moments, etc. Better graphics, music, pacing. More action-packed combat. FF6 does some things better, and it's longer, but it just doesn't add up.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say a single bad thing about FF6. It's pretty much perfection and a masterpiece.

But even then I just like Chrono better. It's my most replayed single player game of all time. Nothing else comes close. It's just so damn fun. Even now if I started up a game I would be able to put it down until I got through several endings.

Oct 30, 2017
There's nothing quite like CT, while FF6 stutters a bit in the WoR when the tight story pacing falls apart.

World of Ruin is my favorite part of the game, oddly. I love collecting party members and powerful equipment. I love both, but Chrono Trigger isn't just my favorite jRPG on SNES: it's my favorite jRPG period.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
how on earth is CT winning this so handily? FFVI is the GOAT, without question. And I played both of them in real time, as a child of the 80s. It's not even close.
VI is a much bleaker game: the bad guy wins, the world ends, one of the main characters attempts suicide, and the rest of the story is about scraping together some kind of hope - some kind of meaning - from the ruins of civilization.

In CT, the heroes see the bleak future awaiting them and go on an adventure to stop it ever happening. It's a much more upbeat, accessible game.

And then Chrono Cross happens.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how Chrono could be seen as having better characters (Frog and Magus are cool, not sure about the rest) or a better villain.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Played both when they first released and it's extremely hard for me to choose but I ended up picking Chrono Trigger for the reason they I love the entire cast so very much.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Funny timing playing through FFVI for the first time now, though I haven't played CT so can't vote.

My real answer is DQV though.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
FF VI is the best FF game by far.... but CT is the best Square JRPG ever. Funny how the company peaked at the SNES era and never went close to make anything as good.

Even with the bad art (Toriyama will never look good to me), CT is a game that feels like a real adventure: time travel, good pacing, epic fights, Mitsuda's music... The only JRPG that comes close to that ambition is the first Xenoblade, that is IMO another all-time classic.

Ira

Oct 27, 2017
FFVI is one of the best RPGs of its era (if not the best,) so, VI.

I'll admit though, I never finished CT, I just didn't find it very compelling. The combat and music are quite good, but the characters and plot both came off kind of bland, so I always find myself confused about the adoration it receives (I'm also not a fan of Toriyama so it loses points in character design for me too.) Always makes me wonder what I missed.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
dsfgsqergfd.png

I still think about this scene where Cyan has to part ways with his family going to the afterlife on the Phantom Train. In this moment you control Sabin and there is nothing you can do. The scene runs on a timer, for 20 seconds you get to see him grieve silently with his head down. And it just boots you to the overworld. Almost no words are exchanged, no music, nothing. Just silence.

It's the kind of scene direction that just blew my mind. They used silence & time as devices to convey emotions. It said much more than words could ever convey.

FFVI is something else. I could speak about it for decades and still not be bored

I've read about it, but I don't think it disproves my interpretation, nor that they didn't have any ideas how to go on. WoR is still a big amount of work that they must have planned in some ways even as pre-production stage.

This and Celes attemp of Suicide really hit me the first time i played it.

FF6 was a pioneer in showing really dark and mature moments in a console for children.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how Chrono could be seen as having better characters (Frog and Magus are cool, not sure about the rest) or a better villain.
They really don't. No characters have the same level of development as most characters in VI. Magus is the one who gets the most and is a highlight of the game, but the rest doesn't shine as much.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
two of the best RPGs of all-time but I prefer FFVI between them

I'm surprised how lopsided the poll is in favor of CT though

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
CT is one of the best games of all time.
I voted for FF6: the first time I played, I didn't save Shadow, didn't realize I could, Cyan'a family, Cid and the fish, the ghost train, opera house, two female main protags that shift POV ... so many memorable moments for me.

There are no losers in this thread.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger. I need to replay Final Fantasy 6 and give it another chance, because I remember not enjoying the World of Ruin at all.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I have to say, I've heard a lot of praise for VI's soundtrack but while it's good I don't think it's anywhere near CT's level. Uematsu's work for Lost Odyssey is way more memorable/affecting for me personally.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
I voted for FFVI cause I played it first and immediately compared Chrono Trigger to it after playing it......but they are so close, I feel it would be FFVI one day and CT the other....I'm just happy I experienced both when they were new and still have my original complete in box copy of both that I bought in the 90s....even if I don't play them, they are a part of me and I'll never get rid of them as long as I can help it.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Trigger. I don't particularly fuck with FF6 that much. It does have some cool side quests though.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Ff6 is more epic. A big collection of great short stories that all fit together in great entangled web.

Chronotrigger is a highly polished with beautiful high production values it plays out more like a summer blockbuster than a epic rpg which isn't a bad thing.

Can't choose.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
I'd I'm gonna nitpick, as cool a concept as World of ruin is, it's kind of a Mish mash of random events that for the majority don't really add anything to the characters or story at large. Chrono Trigger is just such a tightly wound masterpiece with next to no fluff or excess, and nearly every major scenario feels consequential.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Chrono and it shouldn't even be close. Now if we were debating Cosmic Star Heroine vs Chrono trigger we might have a debate for best jrpg.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
Chrono Trigger is the Michael Jordan of video games to me. I played 6 shortly after I played CT and I can't really relate to all the praise it got online reading forums years later (played these games in the 90s close to CTs original release).

CT had more memorable characters while 6 had a lot of disposable ones. Gameplay goes to CT. Story also goes to CT, it was much tighter without filler. CT has also aged better imo and is still very playable today. A truly timeless game.