• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Yo I'm sorry but is that $85 for the Classic Controller I see!?
Should I be selling mine!?

It's amazon prime automatically displaying an item at its highest price. I wouldn't think it would be that expensive. But hey maybe, I got one myself and it's a quality product. Maybe it is worth it, idk.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Hey guys. Hoping you can help. I just want to add Chrono Trigger to this thing with a border that looks official. My mom got Chrono Trigger for me years ago and she passed away so I want to play it again. Istill have my copy, I don't want to hook up my OG SNES because it will look like shit. And I don't want to play it on ds.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I think there's a few Chrono Trigger borders on the Custom Borders page.

http://www.robin64.co.uk/customborders/

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question. I followed the instructions on this page:

http://snesclassicmods.com/how-to-add-more-games-to-snes-classic-mini/

But it ends up hanging at the end and giving me this error: "Your device is taking a long time to reboot. You can wait some more and try the action again if it co mes online after a while. Use Tools > Reboot to get back to normal operation from recovery mode"

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. The snes mini shows up as NES mini in my device manager after the driver has been installed. Hakchi shows up as hitting 28% before the reboot. I installed the driver as instructed, so that doesn't appear to be the issue, but when hakchi tries to reset the snes mini, it stops showing up in device manager and the power light comes on after Hakchi attempts to reboot. What do I need to do here? It's at 28% (waiting on device) when this happens.

Also, I was wanting to apply this patch to Chrono Trigger: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3147/

The actual zip has a readme that lists this:

For these patches to be compatible with Canoe, and therefore on the SNES Classic without RetroArch, you will need to obtain the patch by Sluffy and pimpinelephant at the link below. I have been told that Preset ID 110B + 03 is the way you want to get this to work natively. This is made using Skydark+Name Liberties as a base.

https://mega.nz/#!6Z8FQLiI!0KzlOCdTtS8PRiiMp0sJFyMP2fxRlcNNkZoGWAf0_Is

I've downloaded that patch but it's not an IPS patch, its a .bps patch. How do I patch this with Lunar IPS?

Last edited:

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Quick question. I followed the instructions on this page:

http://snesclassicmods.com/how-to-add-more-games-to-snes-classic-mini/

But it ends up hanging at the end and giving me this error: "Your device is taking a long time to reboot. You can wait some more and try the action again if it co mes online after a while. Use Tools > Reboot to get back to normal operation from recovery mode"

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. The snes mini shows up as NES mini in my device manager after the driver has been installed. Hakchi shows up as hitting 28% before the reboot. I installed the driver as instructed, so that doesn't appear to be the issue, but when hakchi tries to reset the snes mini, it stops showing up in device manager and the power light comes on after Hakchi attempts to reboot. What do I need to do here? It's at 28% (waiting on device) when this happens.
The device has a different name in each mode. Just keep trying the reboot method. Once you're done your good, you only need to do this once.

SWChris

Oct 27, 2017
My Google-fu has been exhausted. :(

I'm trying to get a Famicom Disk System game to load on my SNES Classic using Kyland's core set. It just kicks me back to the SNES Classic screen with a floating suspend point. Here's my command line: /bin/nestopia /var/games/CLV-D-HMBBW/Super_Mario_Brothers_2.fds. I've tested it with km_RetroArch 173 Xtreme NetPlay Edition and km_RetroArch 173 Standard NetPlay Edition. No joy. :( I think it may want a BIOS file because regular NES games run fine. But I don't know where to put it, if anywhere. Can anyone help me troubleshoot?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
The scene is dead. The Classic is relegated to yet another retro-pie clone (wowee a DOOM port and a Wolfenstein port EXCITING)

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Bosco and Pimpinelephant have kept doing patches, but only for smaller issues and not as frequent as sluffy, of course.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think the biggest problem is how hard it is to keep up with all the new developments. We should update the OT with some compilation of recent happenings, and of the state of things like RetroArch? (Have they fixed the input lag yet?). Everything is scattered everywhere and gets lost in the flood of troubleshooting posts and whatnot.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Canoe patch updates are still in the same place.

There's the romhacking thread, there's the patch doc, there's robin's site. For retroarch or snes mods stuff, there's that snesmods site and the snesmods reddit.

And by the way, pimpin fixed Act Raiser 2 completely now. The slowrom fix doesn't slow down the game anymore.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't use my SNES Classic much recently because I have been busy with new games. Will probably go back to it when the NES Classic (re-)releases.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I know y'all are Canoe focused on here (me too) BUT it looks like the ever manic KMFDManic has figured out a way to get BS-X Satellaview roms running on Retroarch. (release coming on monday 18th, apparently). This is super exciting for me, because there are heaps of games on BSX which were never converted into formats that Canoe could handle. Granted, we got some of the best games, like Daisuki Golf and BS Zelda, but there are tons of hidden gems still to be toyed with.

I am looking forward to adding a Satellaview folder to my main menu. I already have a .zip full of BSX games - many already translated - I could never play.

What BSX games are you looking forward to trying out?

UPDATE: It has been released. But it doesn't look like you care. Oh well.

Last edited:

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know of any extended sets of folder icons to match the existing pixelated Hakchi set?

Looking for Sega CD, Megadrive MK1, PC Engine CD, PSX, PSP, Amiga, C64 etc...

Oct 28, 2017
I think the biggest problem is how hard it is to keep up with all the new developments. We should update the OT with some compilation of recent happenings, and of the state of things like RetroArch? (Have they fixed the input lag yet?). Everything is scattered everywhere and gets lost in the flood of troubleshooting posts and whatnot.
I like that idea. Although there is a lot of information on other sites and on reddit, I find it all a bit convoluted.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So the re-release of the NES Mini, while having nothing new for the player, has a new firmware version and actually uses the SNES Mini board rather than the original NES Mini board. Also a dev of hakchi2 CE posted this:

Hi everyone, please do not attempt to mod a new NESC from the new batch of console. It has come to our attention that the new batch of consoles come with a new kernel.

We need to get a kernel dump from the console so we can patch Hakchi to accomodate for it. If you have a new console from this batch please contact me directly so I can walk you through the steps to dump the stock kernel so we can get this fixed.

Thanks!

Swingflip

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, interesting. And good to know, it would have been the first thing I did. lol

Any changes to the UI? Borders, maybe?

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want the exact same rewind functionality on the NES Classic. Buying these consoles in reverse has spoiled me.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will we get a separate NES modding thread once the next wave of consoles goes out?

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I just got back into my SNES mini after a long haitus

I had so many fucking issues trying to get Hakchi to work. For some reason it would not recognize my console when I tried to load in games but would do it just fine when dumping the kernal.

Using CE and a new USB drive and completely uninstalling and reinstalling worked.

Working my way through Zelda 1 right now and causually plopping down some Tetris NES runs whenever I feel like it.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So are we aware of any actual emulator improvements to NES-Canoe (idk the actual name for it) ? That one guy posted in here a while back saying some stuff was fixed or improved.

Doubt it. Maybe if they include the same firmware they used for that special edition Famicom Mini with all the Jump games, then yes, it would have compatibility for more games and mappers.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I forgot about that one. When does that release? Glad I dont have to worry about this new batch, already got several collecting dust in my closet

rizE

Jun 20, 2018
Hey Guys, I am on hackchi2 2.20 and have a fair few games getting the C7 error. I have my folders set to 45 games max, I am wondering if the ROMS themselves are bad or if upgrading to hackchi2 CE 1.10 is worth trying? Or should I just try and download ROMS from somewhere else and re-add them?

To add to that - on some of my games the music skips quite a bit

Also do you need retroarch as well as the SFROM Tool and patches in this thread? Or is it one or the other? And what is the best 'setup' to have currently? I am just using the base canoe atm

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Guys, I am on hackchi2 2.20 and have a fair few games getting the C7 error. I have my folders set to 45 games max, I am wondering if the ROMS themselves are bad or if upgrading to hackchi2 CE 1.10 is worth trying? Or should I just try and download ROMS from somewhere else and re-add them?

Also do you need retroarch as well as the SFROM Tool and patches in this thread? Or is it one or the other? And what is the best 'setup' to have currently? I am just using the base canoe atm

2.20 is very old. I would update to latest CE in your case, or 2.21f (my personal preference)

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Check the compatibility doc for your non-working games:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12HKfz4ZQBy6Ip5awvh8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y

If the list says they work, then you have a bad rom. If it says it works with a patch, then patch the rom. If it says it doesn't work, then use retroarch.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to doing this. One question though. How do I know if a game I added got auto patched? Like I did the sfrom tool thing from the second post but don't know if it is so automatic that there isn't even a popup about being patched or not.

I guess would Terranigma just launching and playing mean it was patched?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Finally got around to doing this. One question though. How do I know if a game I added got auto patched? Like I did the sfrom tool thing from the second post but don't know if it is so automatic that there isn't even a popup about being patched or not.

I guess would Terranigma just launching and playing mean it was patched?

Correct. The fact that Terranigma works means you set it up correctly.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Correct. The fact that Terranigma works means you set it up correctly.

Cool, thanks. For the response and the thread in general.

Guess I should try messing around with custom borders and filter options now. There is no way to add extra filter options to the actual in device menu, right? Just the command line stuff?

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i recently learned that you can emulate psx games with the snes classic. are playstation games playable with the snes controller though?

i've used the version of hackchi that came out right when the snes classic released so i'm thinking about updating/doing a reinstall to get all the new features if it's not too much work but i don't know where to start and what to do

demi

Oct 27, 2017
IDK about the SNES controller but there's already a controller that's compatible with the Classic that looks totally not at all like a Playstation controller

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Do they sell the controllers individually? I'm picking up a NES Classic and would love to use the snes controller with it