• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Hrm. Okay.

We really should have some resource that just like, updates with these improvements, just a thread with an OP with milestone/major improvement milestones.

Retroarch stuff on SNES Mini is changing daily, and there's such a huge amount of it. It wouldn't really be feasible. Just follow the subreddits.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll finally have an NES Classic to myself at the end of this month. Is there a way to get identical rewind functionality from SNES Canoe in the NES Classic?

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I made these from the MMLC1 covers. Best of both worlds.

vvGGpkb.png

HegFIAZ.png

TMVrMvq.png

W101Kqh.png

cbmqAHF.png

x4iWQJZ.png

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This works with a super famicom mini too, yeah?

Because I think those are cheaper currently...

Oh and those are powered through USB so they should work in Europe right?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
This works with a super famicom mini too, yeah?

Because I think those are cheaper currently...

Oh and those are powered through USB so they should work in Europe right?

Absolutely does. My SFC is very nice. :)
(And I've never powered my SFC or SNES minis via AC, only USB, and they've always worked fine.)

There's even a JP to English mod for the SFC if you're so inclined.

basic_element

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had any luck loading Warriors of Fate and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs using Mame2003? When I import it, it shows as qsound.bin and then when I run the game, it shows throws me back to the game select menu. Any ideas? Thanks.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Is it STILL impossible to hack the SNES classic without us lowly MacBook owners who aren't willing to change operating systems?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys play 3:4, CRT, Pixel perfect? I am leaning towards Pixel perfect, but I want to remove the icon from the UI, so I need to pick one to stick with if I do.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I also use 4:3. They got rid of the shimmer the NES had with its 4:3 mode when scrolling.

But it's annoying how some games took 4:3 into account and others didn't, and some games even mix both in the same game (like Chrono Trigger)

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
Do you guys play 3:4, CRT, Pixel perfect? I am leaning towards Pixel perfect, but I want to remove the icon from the UI, so I need to pick one to stick with if I do.
I use 4:3. Pixel perfect looks a bit off to me.

Pixel perfect IS off-looking because it's in the wrong aspect ratio. Back then, TV screens stretched the imagine (no square pixels like on LC-Displays) and games had been designed to compensate for this. As a result, everything in pixel perfect looks thinner than it's supposed to be. Did anyone here play the SNES Mini on a CRT? I imagine that pixel perfect would be the best choice in this case, isn't it?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Maybe I will flip back to 4:3 and give it a go for bit. I am not set on any one resolution.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
Interesting. Maybe I will flip back to 4:3 and give it a go for bit. I am not set on any one resolution.

Just take Super Mario World for example. Put it in 4:3 mode and look at the Mario sprite. In pixel perfect mode, Mario looks much thinner. It's not a big deal in some games, but in other titles it can really mess with the artwork.

The SNESC exclusively outputs a 16:9 720p signal, so by definition the pixels are square on all TVs and there is no stretching, even on a CRT (which I have).

Oh, I see. Well, that's a pity. :/
Thanks for pointing that out!

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

I use 4:3 because that's how the games were seen by everyone at the time, even though that's technically incorrect for games that didn't take the stretching into account. But since many developers did the proper compensation, one can only assume that those who didn't never even realized it, or if they did it was too late to redo all the art.

Last edited:

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just take Super Mario World for example. Put it in 4:3 mode and look at the Mario sprite. In pixel perfect mode, Mario looks much thinner. It's not a big deal in some games, but in other titles it can really mess with the artwork.

Yes, but then look at the many big round objects in the game, and you'll notice that in 4:3 they're actually ovals, while in Pixel Perfect they become perfect circles as you'd expect them to be.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
A lot of games around that time accounted for and compensated for the stretch, Chrono Trigger is a great example, Above is 4:3, Below is Pixel Perfect
bPHRl3D.png

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, but then look at the many big round objects in the game, and you'll notice that in 4:3 they're actually ovals, while in Pixel Perfect they become perfect circles as you'd expect them to be.

Yeah, I noticed. It really seems to vary from game to game. I'm glad it's not a huge inconvenience to change the setting to whatever looks best. I'm also glad that stuff like this, incl. the old NTSC / PAL differences are a thing of the past now. Certainly something I don't miss about that time, especially since this nonsense lasted for so long. I still have nightmares about that terrible FF-X PAL version (yeah, obviously not a SNES game). And don't get me started on comparing Mario Kart lap times with my US friends. :/

Marcos

Oct 25, 2017
I just hacked my SNES mini, if I want to hack another one do I just plug it ans sync or do I need to add retroarch again?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Every time I see SNES games played at non-4:3 ratio I die inside a little. It's like all the folks that think Street Fighter 3 sprites are supposed to be wide and dumpy.

I guarantee that no SNES developer was designing their art to be viewed at 1:1 ratio. I did a lot of Amiga artwork in the 90s and dealing with the art ratio was just part of the process.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Except then you have cases like this where Mario's blocks are exactly square when viewed in 8:7, and everything since that keeps them square.

Or even Mario himself, where Super Mario Maker took the 8:7 size for things.

mario-compare.png

And the infamous Metroid morphball image, where it's incorrectly an oval in 4:3.

E96apYV.png

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
GBA didn't have any other option, and any rotating circle is a pain.

But you're right, I guess a couple of decades of emulators have made this the new standard.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Been a while since I've updated my Mini. Where are we on the disabling of the epilepsy filter? Was a universal solution ever found or was it always going to be a game-by-game case? Been playing Earthbound recently and... I find it annoying when it kicks in.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been wanting to play some of my GBA games on my mini, but I've been having a hard time getting retroarch and the proper cores going. I highlight the proper mods I want to use, and it installs and says done! no issues. But the games don't boot up and the mods remain unchecked?

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
ok i've been banging my head over and over and over running virtual box and followed the steps METICULOUSLY and I keep getting this when I "flash the kernel" (good lord what a dumb sentence)

zS6NCPF.png

Please help and feel free to ridicule me for not being able to do this. Because it has been HOURS. Any solutions?

EDIT: OH GOD I DID IT

EDITEDIT: Wait no i didn't, the game's aren't showing. I'm not good at this.

EDITEDITEDIT: ok i did it.

Last edited:

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Malwarebytes blocked the Windows driver issue guide link. Hopefully it won't be a problem for me when I attempt to hack my SFC mini. Is this more likely to be an issue on Windows 10?

But I feel like I need someone to explain this to me like I'm five. Does "dumping" the kernel mean taking a file off of the super famicom mini? Then "flashing" the new one mean ... something I tell "hakchi" to do upon installing it? No, I have no clue what I'm talking about.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Been a while since I've updated my Mini. Where are we on the disabling of the epilepsy filter? Was a universal solution ever found or was it always going to be a game-by-game case? Been playing Earthbound recently and... I find it annoying when it kicks in.

Only way to avoid that is to add your own earthbound game.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Who here is waiting for Switch hacking with excited anticipation? My SNES Mini is very solid right now (1.1.0 is a stable island in a storm of hakchis). The thought of playing Super Mario World, again, on my Switch but through RETROARCH fills me with horror. I want a Canoe based emulator for Switch. And I want it soon.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys. Hoping you can help. I just want to add Chrono Trigger to this thing with a border that looks official. My mom got Chrono Trigger for me years ago and she passed away so I want to play it again. Istill have my copy, I don't want to hook up my OG SNES because it will look like shit. And I don't want to play it on ds.

Thanks for any help you can give.