• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

demi

Oct 27, 2017
bruh... got around to updating and adding games after all this time. I'm actually playing Tales of Phantasia, this is lit

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Star ocean's english translation got Japanese yes/no choices though lolol

They planned another update, but shortly after the group disbanded.

Code:
=======================================================================================
THINGS TO DO IN THE FUTURE
=======================================================================================

-Make Yes/No dialogue menu to display in English
-Add an 8x8 variable width font.
-Voice dubbing.
-Add four-line descriptions in the menu (many descriptions had to be shortened
 to fit the three-line maximum).
-Replace the elemental symbol images
-Do some extra hacking to include some of the dummied-out items in shops, etc. 8-)
-Add list of donators to in-game credits
-Fix rom checksum
-Bug fixes.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
They planned another update, but shortly after the group disbanded.

Code:
THINGS TO DO IN THE FUTURE

-Make Yes/No dialogue menu to display in English
-Add an 8x8 variable width font.
-Voice dubbing.
-Add four-line descriptions in the menu (many descriptions had to be shortened
 to fit the three-line maximum).
-Replace the elemental symbol images
-Do some extra hacking to include some of the dummied-out items in shops, etc. 8-)
-Add list of donators to in-game credits
-Fix rom checksum
-Bug fixes.
Oh that is most unfortunate that they were not able to complete all the tasks they've set out to do for this game. However, what they've accomplished is already extremely impressive and allow us to play through the whole game. We should all be grateful for that and hopefully maybe somebody else will be able to pick up the mantle and complete the translation.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
Just thought id share my imgur boxart album here as I posted on reddit and thought id share here too in case anyone needs em. I like to do translated boxes for translated titles, although they are time consuming somewhat and some are damn imposible : A couple of examples....

1bp224x.png

ECWhFVl.png

I try to get them close to the originals... (hopefully)

Last edited:

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Okay I am wondering if I need to pull apart my SNES to remove the remote for the controller because it lost sync. If this is going to be the case, I think it is actually too much of a pain and I should just keep it plugged in external.

Any one else do this mod and have this issue?
when SNES mini is powered on the adapter goes into pairing mode, so i'm thinking you're not waking the controller up correctly?

So are you switching on your 8bitdo pad the correct way? holding down the correct button/s?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
when SNES mini is powered on the adapter goes into pairing mode, so i'm thinking you're not waking the controller up correctly?

So are you switching on your 8bitdo pad the correct way? holding down the correct button/s?

I will have to try that, I thought I had but maybe I did not. I removed it anyways, so I will backtrack to it.

Edit: So I am at the last part of the CE where it tries to reboot my mini. I get an error message that it is taking too long to reboot. Any idea what I am doing wrong? My hakchi2 CE thinks the system is offline also. Even though I have it pulled in and on.

Never mind, it took 4 times but it finally worked. Now I need to try and get things back to where they were before the update. I am glad I did though. Once I do that, I need to look and see what else happened since I last did this.

Last edited:

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So now that I flahed with the new version, do I need to keep my backup saved anywhere? I still have it saved and will keep it, but will I ever need it?

SWChris

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to get a DOSBox game that requires keyboard input to work (it needs the full range of letters and numbers for its teleportation game mechanic to work). Is there a virtual keyboard for DOSBox? If so how do I enable it? If not, which retroarch emulators include one? This game was released for multiple platforms.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish there was a way to modify the menu for this. One of my main complaints is how bad it can be to navigate through the folders.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
There's a "Reset SFROM Header" function in hakchiCE, but it doesn't actually seem to work. Someone messed up. So right now, you'll need to re-add the game.

But, what are you trying to do exactly?

Nothing specifically. I just upgraded to the CE version and was reading the first two posts by you. I figured it would not hurt to install/use that.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
so i still have hackchi 2.21F, haven't kept up with the software updates since i got everything set up smoothly. i don't really add anything new except here or there and everything seems to run fine, so i kinda don't wanna rock the boat if i don't need to. is there any real reason i need to consider upgrading? i already updated all the codes for the games and such and patched them manually back when i set this up, which took a lot of time so everything i have is acceptable to me as it is. but is there any appeal to the new updates that should make me reconsider?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
CE only offers quality of life changes. It doesnt really make adding games and updating them any easier. I think you will be fine on 2.21f if theres no reason to.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I forgot what I needed to do to replace the packed.png file. I can FTP into the SNES, but I am not allowed to replace the file. I was able to before (way back when) but I seem to have forgotten how. Is this a permissions issue or something?

Edit: AS I dive deeper, I know it is in the /var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/share/ui/snes-usa/resources/sprites/ but it is not really working. I created a new preinit.d file also...

Last edited:

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Famicom Detective Club II... I have the translation working in Canoe with the newly released patch, and it's almost 100% perfect and I'm incredibly excited to finally play it for the first time, EXCEPT.... there's a continuous bright red rectangular bar that sits at the top of the screen from the moment the game is loaded. Is it possible I have a bad ROM? I'll try finding a different one when I have some time, but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Everything else works perfectly.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
These are old directions by Robin:

Okay, to do the UI stuff..

Copy the packed.png file to /var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/share/ui/snes-eur/resources/sprites/

Download this file and put it in /etc/preinit.d

Reboot the SNES Mini.
I did this (as I did in the past) but it does not see my new packed file. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? (file name is p8073_ui)

Edit: Okay I got this part working. I defiantly did some UI magic last time which I forget of course. I know I removed the 1/2 player controller. But I did not remove it from the png. I think I replaced a scn file or something. Hrm.

Last edited:

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
Famicom Detective Club II the red bar happens because pid 10A8 is meant for the 1.1 rom and the translation is for the 1.0 rom, just use pid 0000 for it.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't looked into SNES Classic Mini hacking for a couple months.

What major releases and features have I missed?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I seriously hope that if a n64 collection happens modding goes as smoothly as it has for this because I would totally digitize my n64collection for convience. Also thanks for all the hard work and help you guys!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least 4 versions of SNES9x, and others.

It would be surprising if AtGames/Sega put together a good emulator given they've tried many times to date and failed. The Nintendo emulator has been improved over many years of Wii/DS Virtual Console.

Basically impossible to brick the SNESC. PS1 games vary depending on their complexity. Earlier and less demanding titles run better. I play a card game, plays perfectly. The first Ridge Racer runs well, the later ones less so. Tue major barrier is that unless your game is super small, you either have to spend time ripping out FMVs or double down and setup USB storage.

Re: PS1 games, some are shockingly small when compressed. On my PSP Go are several eBoots:

Ridge Racer 3mb (no music)
Cotton Original 4.5mb
Raiden Project 24mb
Dead or Alive 33mb
Tekken 3 35mb
Gaia Seed 63mb

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I seriously hope that if a n64 collection happens modding goes as smoothly as it has for this because I would totally digitize my n64collection for convience. Also thanks for all the hard work and help you guys!
I'm sure it will go fine.

My worries regarding the N64 Classic are several. It NEEDS to have 4 controller ports and ideally come with 2 controllers. I'm not too worried about finding 2 more N64 controllers, though, since you should be able to just use Classic Pro controllers which are easy to find.

How much more expensive would it be? The SNES Mini cost more than the NES Mini and had 10 fewer games. Will the N64 be $100 and come with 12 games or something? I presume the added cost to the SBES was the additional controller since the guts are the same, but the N64 is going to need a lot more internal storage. Hopefully it's more powerful, too.

Personally, I would happily pay more if it upscaled the games and rendered them at a higher resolution. But I doubt it will.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather it come with just one controller if it's going to have an impact on the number of games.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Famicom Detective Club II... I have the translation working in Canoe with the newly released patch, and it's almost 100% perfect and I'm incredibly excited to finally play it for the first time, EXCEPT.... there's a continuous bright red rectangular bar that sits at the top of the screen from the moment the game is loaded. Is it possible I have a bad ROM? I'll try finding a different one when I have some time, but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Everything else works perfectly.

What new translation patch?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Total newbie to the scene here. Got my SNES mini and looking to customize it. Super surprised to see ppl are running PS1 games on it. Do they run well and competently? Anything I should know before trying this out? Reading up on thr process online but still a bit worried about accidentally bricking it.
Re: PS1 games, some are shockingly small when compressed. On my PSP Go are several eBoots:

Ridge Racer 3mb (no music)
Cotton Original 4.5mb
Raiden Project 24mb
Dead or Alive 33mb
Tekken 3 35mb
Gaia Seed 63mb
Indeed! And as of today PS1 performance is 43% faster meaning more games, even some hi-res ones, can be run at full speed.

Is there any decent n64 emulation on this?
As of today there are 3x N64 emulator cores: Mupen, Glupen, Parallel.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm sure it will go fine.

My worries regarding the N64 Classic are several. It NEEDS to have 4 controller ports and ideally come with 2 controllers. I'm not too worried about finding 2 more N64 controllers, though, since you should be able to just use Classic Pro controllers which are easy to find.

How much more expensive would it be? The SNES Mini cost more than the NES Mini and had 10 fewer games. Will the N64 be $100 and come with 12 games or something? I presume the added cost to the SBES was the additional controller since the guts are the same, but the N64 is going to need a lot more internal storage. Hopefully it's more powerful, too.

Personally, I would happily pay more if it upscaled the games and rendered them at a higher resolution. But I doubt it will.
Actually I expect us to hold at 20, I had a huge write up, but it got deleted by my tablet, so here's the long and short of it, by using some rough analytics and perceived costs we can assume that on the nes classic games are roughly 1.50$ each, Snes is $3 each, which if we go linear would be roughly 18 games at 4.50$ each on a n64 classic if the jump is linear, but if they are more interested in keeping things rounded out game wise they can do 20 at $4.00(all assuming a n64 classic is 100$). So yeah I don't expect a drop
Also, unlike virtual console adding a game to a classic does not increase the cost since it has a single rating from the advisory boards rather than on a per game basis which is a perk for partnering Third parties who simply have to loan the games and get money back.
So far the classics line has had the same 3 partners and I'd expect the same from a n64 classic. Those are Square Enix(who hold the rights to: Ogre battle 64, Mischief Makers, And Bust-a-move as far as n64 games go), Capcom (Megaman 64 and ms Pac-Man maze madness), and Konami (Bomberman 64/Hero/64 2, Castlevania/DX, Deadly arts, Hybrid Heaven, Goemons great adventure/adventure of the mystical ninja, and a few others) all who have a few games that would round things out nicely

Also Nintendo can easily fill 16 slots with first party games with no rights issues without even having to use sequels(I broke things down a few days ago, I could bring it here if asked)

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I totally forgot that Mischief Makers belongs to Square-Enix now. One of my fave Treasure games, but the 50hz version we got in Europe was terrible. Audio samples would play at the same pitch, but slower, so they would have a stuttering.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Famicom Tantei works just fine without any patch. Bosco released a minor patch that resolves the weird overscan quirk when you change display types or resume a game.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally cleaned up my SNES a bit and exported a bunch of those save states I accumulated doing the Classic Club. Deleted those suckers and holy shit did they take up a lot more memory than I realized. Like 100 MB worth. Before I was kind of juggling the games I wanted on there, but now I've just slapped them on. Including Mother 3 and that fatass patch.

Looks like I learned my lesson lol.

So in that spirit, what Genesis games do ya'll recommend? Besides Sonic and Castlevania.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps, Rocket Knight Adventures, Dynamite Headdy, Shining stuff, Phantasy Star stuff, QuackShot, Ecco, Beyond Oasis.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what changed that PS1 games are being run now?
Was there some stupidly big update to the PS1 cores that they just run 10x faster now or some shiz?

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So my Illusions of Gala has the menu bars. How do I go about fixing that? I have not tried to patch games before.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Wait what changed that PS1 games are being run now?
Was there some stupidly big update to the PS1 cores that they just run 10x faster now or some shiz?
Pretty much. The emulator received some optimisations resulting in a rather large performance increase.

I've just started a playthrough of open world game Panekit and it runs full speed 60fps. Faster if you disable vsync!

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the Genesis suggestions!

Got another question. When I first set up hakchi I didn't install the MAME retroarch cores, but now I want to do so. How do I go about adding those without mucking anything up? I've got other retroarch cores installed, and don't want to mess with them.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
When did this happen? Do these apply to the PC version of retroarch or are the improvements to the retroarch itself on SNESC?
This week. As far as I know the improvement is only on SNESC.

Thanks for the Genesis suggestions!

Got another question. When I first set up hakchi I didn't install the MAME retroarch cores, but now I want to do so. How do I go about adding those without mucking anything up? I've got other retroarch cores installed, and don't want to mess with them.
Just install/uninstall retroarch plus cores via CE hmod store.