• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
From Nintendo? On what grounds I wonder. Altering code for an IP?

Don't assume that. No one knows. It has to be someone trolling him. For some reason he gets a lot of hate PMs according to him.

He's doing nothing illegal. If Hakchi teams aren't getting C&D letters, then someone making patches shouldn't either.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah it's gotta be someone trolling him, Why would Nintendo ignore Hakchi and ignore the fact their mini consoles could be hacked in the first place and then just suddenly go after someone making patches?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
WTF? O.o It baffles me how someone who only makes something work would get hate mail. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Entitled pricks that want sluffy to fix their game by any means necessary, and when he doesn't because he can't, then he gets hate messages. That's according to him, though. But I have no reason not to believe it, this is the Internet after all.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
He already quit before and didn't come up with an excuse like this one.

I've known about site owners that have gotten C&D letters and they turn out to be fakes sent by trolls. Whoever sent that to him is just trolling.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Entitled pricks that want sluffy to fix their game by any means necessary, and when he doesn't because he can't, then he gets hate messages. That's according to him, though. But I have no reason not to believe it, this is the Internet after all.
That does make sense. At least on the internet...
What games could they even be at this point?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Last edited:

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this is simple and abundantly covered but a lot of this thread goes over my head so hopefully someone can humour me.

I am Hakchi'd and have only added SNES games (running under Canoe) and GBA titles so far. I would like to add a few SNES games that do not run under Canoe but want the ones I have already to continue to use Canoe. Do I need to do anything special to enable this or so I just install SNES9X or whatever the same way I did MGBA and it picks up the games the built-in emulator won't run?

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Don't assume that. No one knows. It has to be someone trolling him. For some reason he gets a lot of hate PMs according to him.

He's doing nothing illegal. If Hakchi teams aren't getting C&D letters, then someone making patches shouldn't either.
More speculation than assumption, but if someone is trolling him, thats really fucked up. I guess they resent or are jealous of his reputation, and from how you describe him, he doen't give two shits about any of that.
Its one of the many reasons we can't have nice things. People can be shitlords

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this is simple and abundantly covered but a lot of this thread goes over my head so hopefully someone can humour me.

I am Hakchi'd and have only added SNES games (running under Canoe) and GBA titles so far. I would like to add a few SNES games that do not run under Canoe but want the ones I have already to continue to use Canoe. Do I need to do anything special to enable this or so I just install SNES9X or whatever the same way I did MGBA and it picks up the games the built-in emulator won't run?
if you want to run SNES games on retroarch install SNES9x and then put --retroarch at the end of the games command line

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, apparently the c&d was mailed to sluffy directly and sent to his work? I dont know the full story but I'd be spooked to shit too.

Thanks for all you did for us sluffy. Many people are happy with what was accomplished.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is it a far fetch to suppose that maybe sluffy worked for a Nintendo affiliate or some such and had somehow gotten access to proprietary information?

Even though he was coy about the type of info he gave about himself. The very little he said about himself was actually quite weird and mysterious, in my opinion. But I really don't think he worked at Nintendo-affiliate or had inside info. I've been reading the RHDN thread since the start and it seemed he was winging it when it came to most of the patches he made. He's definitely very smart to have figured out so much without even having the SNES Classic.

He originally was only making patches for SNES9X, but people started asking him to fix Canoe games since the patches he made also fixed games for Canoe.

The few things he said about himself were strange though. He's definitely European. When people offered a free SNES Classic he said that if he were to receive one, he would throw it in the trash because he wasn't allowed to have it. When people offered money, he didn't even reply. He also stated a few times that he couldn't test games with audio because he wasn't allowed to play audio (or make any noise?). He has also stated a few times he couldn't work on patches certain times because he wasn't allowed (to be on the computer or something?). He said he makes patches for games to work on old SNES9X versions, which led me to believe that maybe he has an old computer that can't run newer emus at full speed? I think he mentioned once having a wife?

He claimed several times he wasn't "allowed to" when it came to several things, so I thought that maybe he was a teen? But what teen would be so interested in SNES games and hacking them? I thought thought that maybe his wife was strict, or maybe he lived with his parents, or maybe he lived in a place with thin walls, or maybe that he was even in jail and could only use the computer on certain hours. I dunno.

Anyway, it all was very strange. He was constantly getting PMs from people, and some insulting or trolling him, or requesting stuff in private instead of posting it on the thread. Whenever he said something not related to patches he was kind of vague, like when the first time he quit, or with the mysterious guy that was helping him hack and the reason he came back, and now with this C&D.

The impression that I got when he first started mentioning those bullish PMs was that maybe he used to frequent other forums/communities and there were people from those communities following and pestering him around. He must have a history in another place.

Anyway, he fixed a ton of games, and we are all grateful. Hopefully he comes back, and if he doesn't... well... it lasted more than I thought it would really. He had no reason to do all this, specially since he doesn't even have a SNES Classic.

Last edited:

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
found 2 presets that exist in Canoe that aren't in the preset ID list because they exist outside of it
pid 1190 and pid 1193

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
Not sure, the presets can be grouped together in actual groups, like the hires presets are grouped together, but some presets are all over the place, there's some presets listed on the preset list that aren't in Canoe at all so for those I'm guessing it just defaults to 0000. From what I can figure it looks like Marvelous uses 0A for its SA-1 byte. pid 1190 is tied to a specific game.

Last edited:

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
I'd only heard of doxing before today. That somebody would fuck with a person's real life because of something they were, or were not, doing on a web forum is really out of order.

I know haters gonna hate, but this is next level crazy shit.

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
Those pid's have jump tables in the code like every other preset so there used for something, so does pid 1000 so who knows what there used for.

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
1000, 1016, 1025, 1039, 103D, 1076, 1089, 1097, 10D2, 10DB, 10E7, 10E8, 112C, 112D, 1113, 1114, 1115, 1116, 111C, 1120, 1121, 1123, 1124, 1125, 1126, 1127, 1128, 1129, 112C, 112D, 1140, 1149, 118E, 1190, 1193, 123E, 123F, 1244 - These are the presets that are in the code that there is no game listed for them in the preset ID list, 123F seems to have to do with SDD-1

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So my NES Mini has been "dead" for some time now and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I've tried uninstalling Hakchi through the application itself, but when I hook up it up to my tv all I get is a black screen and a blinking red light.

Anyone able to help guide me through the process to fixing it?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
1000, 1016, 1025, 1039, 103D, 1076, 1089, 1097, 10D2, 10DB, 10E7, 10E8, 112C, 112D, 1113, 1114, 1115, 1116, 111C, 1120, 1121, 1123, 1124, 1125, 1126, 1127, 1128, 1129, 112C, 112D, 1140, 1149, 118E, 1190, 1193, 123E, 123F, 1244 - These are the presets that are in the code that there is no game listed for them in the preset ID list, 123F seems to have to do with SDD-1

123F is Star Ocean.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
So my NES Mini has been "dead" for some time now and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I've tried uninstalling Hakchi through the application itself, but when I hook up it up to my tv all I get is a black screen and a blinking red light.

Anyone able to help guide me through the process to fixing it?
What's your setup? Mac/VM or Windows? What version of hakchi2/CE? What power supply are you using?

Feb 15, 2018
I had loads of issues with mine powering off after a few seconds. Turned out it was because i was running it through an HDMI switch. So if you are using one, try taking it out of the chain!

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
SRW Elemental Lords - I'm using pid 10EF plus extra Byte 09 and -no-lowlatency, the game has sound issues running with 0000, 10EF clears them up

Gideon Zhi seems to have used the overdumped rom for his base, if using the good dump use Lunar Expand to expand the rom to 32Mbit before applying the translation patch. You can use the overdumped rom which is only available in GoodSNES but is probably harder to find.

Last edited:

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
I was thinking it would be useful to have a flow/decision chart that could be used by somebody new to testing to figure out what might be the best PID.

Dedicated PID?
SFX?
SA-1?
SDD-1?
Sound problems?
Hi-res?
-no-lowlatency?

And other factors.

Sound useful?

Eyothrie

Oct 27, 2017
I am sure this has been asked before, but is there a compatibility guide similar to the ones in this thread but for the NES Classic?

SWChris

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody know of a way to intermix folders with the games when sorting games alphabetically? Hakchi CE currently offers no way to do this. It only allows folders to sort Rightmost, Right of Games, Leftmost, and Left of Games.

After poking around the .desktop files and comparing two .desktop files sorted to "Rightmost" vs. "Leftmost", folder sorting seems to have something to do with what's in the ReleaseDate field for each "folder game". Possibly even the TestID, ID, Players, and Simultaneous fields, but that's way too many variables to try to experimentally find out how hakchi accomplishes folder sorting. Anyone have any info on how hakchi accomplishes folder sorting?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Code for the folder position priority is in here https://github.com/TeamShinkansen/hakchi2/blob/mainline/Apps/NesMenuFolder.cs

You can see in getAdjustedDesktopFile that folders are given prefixes (numbers or Russian letters) on their SortName to force their position in alphabetical sorting. You can manually remove those from .desktop files but you'll have to do it after every sync.

You could write a startup script to strip them out on every boot.

Alternatively, you might want to request the team add an option "inline alphabetical" in addition to the existing "leftmost" and "rightmost" options?

Last edited:

Tarpii

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so impressed by the work done by the community here. I updated my SNES to Hakchi 2 CE and it certainly has come a long way. Thank you.

I see that hakchi 2 has also made additional USB storage a breeze. Does anyine have any recommendations they can share for an OTG compatible USB host ( or is there anything I should look out for?)

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see I could add Megadrive roms now.....that's very tempting but the space aspect of it would limit what I can add, does the SNES mini support external cards or anything?