• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Really odd, I left the SNESC on the menu (not inside any folders) and after a minute or so it starts scrolling right super fast through all the games. I have to unplug the controller to stop it. Surely that's not normal?

"My Game Play Demo" and "Classic Demo" and "Screen Burn-In Reduction" are all off.

Any ideas?

Nov 1, 2017
The main changes are to reduce flashing and remove any graphical symbols that are not acceptable today compared to the early 1990s. Rather then ripping the rims of the SNESC, some of us override the default games with patched versions that improve QOL/controls/fix bugs etc.

Just choose "reset/restore original games" in hakchi2CE. sorry can't remember the exact wording.

Perfect! Thanks for responding. :)

Really odd, I left the SNESC on the menu (not inside any folders) and after a minute or so it starts scrolling right super fast through all the games. I have to unplug the controller to stop it. Surely that's not normal?

"My Game Play Demo" and "Classic Demo" and "Screen Burn-In Reduction" are all off.

Any ideas?

Do you use a stock controller?

ren-shin

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a way to convert a retroarch snes save file to work on canoe?

I played half of Dragon Quest 3 and would like to finish it on the snes classic if possible.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017

Did all that, verified I had the good raw files with a crc checker, applied the translation patch via lunar ips then the .bps patch with flips.exe. The final rom runs fine on higan but on canoe I get a blackscreen then a C8 error after a couple minutes. Do I need to mess with headers (I assume no since my base file had the right crc32 checksum), or use a patch from sfrom_tool?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
So is DQ3 good good or are we just going with the notion that something will break down the road.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I followed the RHDN SNes thread and found that there was a beta fix for Tales of Phantasia. I know its not complete but I had to try it out and sure enough it boots up and goes through the opening cinematic. Its a little stuttery but not bad.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, sluffy did amazing work getting DQ3 and Phantasia to work. They shouldnt at all.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, sluffy did amazing work getting DQ3 and Phantasia to work. They shouldnt at all.
Other than upgrading the TOP patch to final, whenever that happens, I think I'm pretty much done hacking the SNES mini. I got a couple of games that don't have translations so I may add them if that ever happens, but I'm at 144 games which is pretty close to the end and honestly more than I may ever play.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Tales of Phantasia is now getting worked on for Canoe emulation? Hurray!!!

Will Star Ocean's English translation ever be fully finished...? Dare I ask :P

Kamenjojo

Oct 27, 2017
Hey so I haven't touched Hakchi since October (still have hakchif) and do I need to install a new driver to get the latest version of hakchi to work? It keeps getting stuck when it attempts to restart the snes classic after trying to upload the new kernal.

Also in the device manager it is only coming up as "classic" and then becomes a samsung USB device which is super strange. Any help with this would be greatly appreciate.

EDIT: Also how do you get the sailor moon fighting game to work on this, everytime I put it in hakchi it doesn't work?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So is the built in emulator better than using RetroArch?. Also how do you install RetroArch?

It has much better control responsiveness (less input lag), so it's much better for all the games it supports. However if you're looking to run some of the games that it can't run properly (or at all), then you'll have to go with RetroArch.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
How do i remove hakchi from the snes mini completely?
Uninstall menu item in Hakchi2. You can then reflash the original kernel but that's only required with very old versions of hakchi2.

So is the built in emulator better than using RetroArch?
Better is subjective. But it is definitely competitive.

Canoe gives you a mostly hassle free experience. On the other hand it doesn't work with all games, though that list gets shorter every day thanks to sluffy's efforts.

RetroArch works for all games, but it can be quite complicated to use. Getting rid of input lag currently requires additional configuration effort. And of course it supports dozens of platforms not just SNES.

Also how do you install RetroArch?
Easiest way is to use the hmod store in Hakchi2CE 1.2.x

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
I know this a little off topic but I hope we get a community like this when the Genesis mini comes out because I know it's gonna need it

More on topic, is Panel De Pon working now? I haven't updated since the first stable release of hakchi

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
More on topic, is Panel De Pon working now? I haven't updated since the first stable release of hakchi

Panel de Pon is fine. Didn't even know there was an issue, had it on mine for as long as I can remember.

Does it give you various options for SNES emulators? IIRC, someone said there's only one version of SNES9x that works for TengaiMakyoZero.

snes9x_10_25_17. And even then, it doesn't do the whole real-time thing, because the SNES Mini has no clock.

Oct 25, 2017
Total newbie to the scene here. Got my SNES mini and looking to customize it. Super surprised to see ppl are running PS1 games on it. Do they run well and competently? Anything I should know before trying this out? Reading up on thr process online but still a bit worried about accidentally bricking it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
2) I read that there's a limit of 63 games to avoid errors when shutting down. When I first modded my SNES Classic, I had 63 games on it and everything worked fine. Then I decided to put more games on it and now I use two "pages" of games. I have around 50 games on each page. Everything is fine but Hakchi always warns me that it's not recommended to put so many games per page. Why is that? What's the limit of games when using folders or pages? Why is it different?
I would like to see this answered too, especially the bolded

Also if I put retroarch on it does it open as a program or like a game would instead of taking up the whole system? I like the default layout and would like to keep that for SNES games and not have to replace it with retroarch

Finally if I do put retroarch on it do NeoGeo games run well?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Does it give you various options for SNES emulators? IIRC, someone said there's only one version of SNES9x that works for TengaiMakyoZero.
At least 4 versions of SNES9x, and others.

I know this a little off topic but I hope we get a community like this when the Genesis mini comes out because I know it's gonna need it
It would be surprising if AtGames/Sega put together a good emulator given they've tried many times to date and failed. The Nintendo emulator has been improved over many years of Wii/DS Virtual Console.

Super surprised to see ppl are running PS1 games on it. Do they run well and competently? Anything I should know before trying this out? Reading up on thr process online but still a bit worried about accidentally bricking it.
Basically impossible to brick the SNESC. PS1 games vary depending on their complexity. Earlier and less demanding titles run better. I play a card game, plays perfectly. The first Ridge Racer runs well, the later ones less so. Tue major barrier is that unless your game is super small, you either have to spend time ripping out FMVs or double down and setup USB storage.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
I don't think there's a limit. I regularly have over 200 games on mine, depending on what platform I'm playing. As long you're sensible with folders you'll be fine.

Also if I put retroarch on it does it open as a program or like a game would instead of taking up the whole system? I like the default layout and would like to keep that for SNES games and not have to replace it with retroarch
It doesn't change the Main Menu. You control what games to run using a chosen RetroArch core.

Finally if I do put retroarch on it do NeoGeo games run well?
yes. https://youtu.be/dpKO8oFBPEM

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Ha sorry about that!

So do I need Hakchi2 CE to load cores or can I just use hakchi 2-1 which I've been using? I have the genesis core in the user mods folder but the games won't work.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
You're better off with CE.

The process:
- add RetroArch hmod
- add core(s) hmod
- set command line for games

CE makes these steps largely automatic.

With cluster 2.x you'll have to do it manually

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Having over 60 games per page risks you having crashes and C8 errors. The recommended amount to not have any errors is 45 games per page. If you don't want the icons on the bottom to go off screen, then you have to limit yourself to 30 games per page.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
how do i get DQ 3 to work ?

Never mind fixed the issue i had.

Pretty great how many games are running in Canoe

Last edited:

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Which is weird, he's doing nothing that everyone else on that site isn't already do: rom hacking.
His wording makes it weirder. I don't know what he means by 'trusted the wrong person somewhere'; that doesn't really sound like a generic C&D from Nintendo, but whatever.

At the same time, I could see how Nintendo would be more miffed about his rom hacking than the usual stuff, since it kinda lowers the appeal of potential future SNES classics with different libraries. Not that I really expect that to happen.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's so hard to keep track of all of this. So does Tales of Phantasia work now? I saw someone in the romhacking thread saying there's still something wrong with it (namco screen). What's going on?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Apparently sluffy got a c&d? That wraps that up, hes definitely not coming back.
FFS.

Perhaps cuz it's for their physically sold product rather than a stand alone emulator?
but sluffy only makes patches that benefit multiple emulators, including Canoe. As well as, most often, snes9x 1.5.1

Canoe is just a black box that happens to be good at giving us clues about where games are being a little bit naughty. Sluffy just brings them into line.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
It's so hard to keep track of all of this. So does Tales of Phantasia work now? I saw someone in the romhacking thread saying there's still something wrong with it (namco screen). What's going on?

You're gonna have to deal with it or install RetroArch. Sorry bud. People who expected Canoe to output Higan level accuracy needed to stop 6 months ago.