• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MarcioAP1

May 12, 2018
Hi guys!

First I'd like to congratulate all involved in making the SNES Classic the best place to experience the SNES library of games.

I have two questions, hope someone can answer...

1) The compatibility list on the OP says that the game Top Gear has some issues. However I found in this thread an ips patch that fixed most of them. The game seems better now, without graphical bugs on the tunnels. Strangely this patch isn't on the patch pack of Robin64. What's the catch? Is there something wrong with this patch?

2) I read that there's a limit of 63 games to avoid errors when shutting down. When I first modded my SNES Classic, I had 63 games on it and everything worked fine. Then I decided to put more games on it and now I use two "pages" of games. I have around 50 games on each page. Everything is fine but Hakchi always warns me that it's not recommended to put so many games per page. Why is that? What's the limit of games when using folders or pages? Why is it different?

Thanks in advance for the tips!

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
The SNES Classic frontend is being ported to Switch homebrew:

I wonder whether putting the entire emulator on there is possible? There was a post on reddit the other day - quickly taken down - of someone's 'disassembly' of the Canoe emulator. High hopes? it would be amazing if all the work for Canoe going on here had a second life on the Switch.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Has there been any work to reduce input lag for retroarch on the classic? I really want a nice box for neo geo emulation.
Yes, as of 1.7.2 there is a new menu option "Latency" in which you can set the number of frames to "Run-Ahead" to reduce input lag.

To manually check how many frames of lag the game you're playing has is easy on a computer: pause, hold an action/jump button for the rest of the process, press K to advance a frame at a time until you see the action happen. Each press of K is a frame of lag. Should be similar on SNESC if you configure a button to frame advance.

I play MegaDrive golf game Pebble Beach Golf Links (and others in the series) using the PicoDrive core, which had one frame of lag. I now use run-ahead to remove that! Result. Not tried it with NeoGeo but will do when I get a chance.

Also, now that this is in RetroArch, the development team are optimising emulators to squeeze out some extra performance gains. Plus they plan to improve the run-ahead system as time goes on in order to lower performance requirements. So a great bonus: even if you never use run-ahead you'll benefit from the performance gains that are coming to because of it.

It won't. It requires a *lot* of processing power and the SNESC is just not going to cut it.
So this run-ahead lag-reduction feature does in fact work on SNESC :)

1) The compatibility list on the OP says that the game Top Gear has some issues. However I found in this thread an ips patch that fixed most of them. The game seems better now, without graphical bugs on the tunnels. Strangely this patch isn't on the patch pack of Robin64. What's the catch? Is there something wrong with this patch?
There are Top Gear patches, but still listed as having issues on the sluffy fixes doc.
What remains is incredibly minor though. Most people would never notice.
Indeed. This is the sort of thing that has worn sluffy down, partly because some people refuse to say the game is fixed until it's 100% perfect, and that includes sluffy himself.

That's cool! I had read about somebody reimplementing the SNESC interface. I had assumed it would be so we can put a modified front end on the SNESC, with things like search for games. So, I guess, why not put it on Switch?

I wonder whether putting the entire emulator on there is possible? There was a post on reddit the other day - quickly taken down - of someone's 'disassembly' of the Canoe emulator. High hopes? it would be amazing if all the work for Canoe going on here had a second life on the Switch.
That was from me, it's here: https://github.com/gingerbeardman/canoe-disassembly

That is a new disassembly of the Canoe emulator, superceding the older one I did. There seem to be two versions of Canoe and the main purpose of this disassembly is to understand Canoe better. I don't expect people to add features or fixes to it and then let us load it on the SNESC, in fact that would be illegal. But maybe we can understand the PID system future to enable sluffy to do even greater work?

The interface is seperate: it's coded in the LUA scripting language, but put on the machine in compiled form. I tried to decompile it but gave up. This guy seems to have rewritten it as a clone and so it would be quite easy to add features and fixes.

Last edited:

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait! I skipped it the last time, because the games didn't seem so appealing to me, but now that I have an SNES Mini and seeing how easy and nice it is to use (and hack), I want the NES one, too.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Part of me wishes it was updated to allow borders, fix the 4:3 pixel shimmer, and add the rewind feature.

The rest of me is glad to save £60.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the only thing I ever used the rewind feature on the SNES Mini for is to document Unirally bugs. lol

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Indeed, the new 50th Anniversary Edition Famicom Mini has new support for (mostly Bandai) mappers 016, 066, 152, 153, and 159. The current NES/Famicom Mini does not.

That covers these games:

Code:
--Mapper 016--

Akuma-kun: Makai no Wana
Crayon Shin-chan: Ora to Poi Poi
Dragon Ball 3: Gokuu Den
Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku
Dragon Ball Z II: Gekishin Freeza!!
Dragon Ball Z III: Ressen Jinzou Ningen
Dragon Ball: Dai Maou Fukkatsu
Famicom Jump: Eiyuu Retsuden
Meimon! Dai San Yakyuu Bu
Nishimura Kyoutarou Mystery: Blue Train Satsujin Jiken
Rokudenashi Blues
SD Gundam Gaiden: Knight Gundam Monogatari 2: Hikari no Kishi
SD Gundam Gaiden: Knight Gundam Monogatari 3: Densetsu no Kishi Dan
Sakigake!! Otoko Juku: Shippu Ichi Gou Sei

--Mapper 066--

Doraemon
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball: Shen Long no Nazo
Dragon Power
Family Trainer 9: Totsugeki! Fuun Takeshijou 2
Gumshoe
Kidou Senshi Z Gundam: Hot Scramble
Paris-Dakar Rally Special
Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt
Takahashi Meijin no Bugutte Honey
Thunder & Lightning
U-Force Power Games

--Mapper 152--

Arkanoid II
GeGeGe no Kitarou 2: Youkai Gundan no Chousen
Pocket Zaurus: Juu Ouken no Nazo
Saint Seiya: Ougon Densetsu

--Mapper 153--

Famicom Jump II - Saikyou no 7 Nin

--Mapper 159--

Dragon Ball Z: Kyoushuu! Saiyajin
Magical Taruruuto-kun 2: Mahou Daibouken
Magical Taruruuto-kun: Fantastic World!!
SD Gundam Gaiden: Knight Gundam Monogatari

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018
So the latest version of Hakchi 2 CE (1.2.4) doesn't seem to have any provision for pages etc. Does this mean I can't upload more than a specific number of games before encountering issues? It also means I have to visit a "more games" folder rather than see them integrated within the preinstalled games.

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, the new 50th Anniversary Edition Famicom Mini has new support for (mostly Bandai) mappers 016, 066, 152, 153, and 159. The current NES/Famicom Mini does not.

That covers these games:

Code:
--Mapper 016--

Rokudenashi Blues

--Mapper 066--

Doraemon
Dragon Ball
Dragon Power
Gumshoe
Thunder & Lightning
U-Force Power Games

--Mapper 152--

Arkanoid II

--Mapper 153--

--Mapper 159--

I can confirm the sound emulation has also been improved. Internally this was improved quite a while back ago.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I accidentally downloaded covers for the 21 original games and some of them use an inferior source than what was there by default. Any way to undo that short of flashing the console again?

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI

That covers these games:

Code:
--Mapper 016--

Rokudenashi Blues

--Mapper 066--

Doraemon
Dragon Ball
Dragon Power
Gumshoe
Thunder & Lightning
U-Force Power Games

--Mapper 152--

Arkanoid II

--Mapper 153--

--Mapper 159--

I can confirm the sound emulation has also been improved. Internally this was improved quite a while back ago.

So is it possible to update the emulator in the NES Classic to enable the new features?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have an archive of Japanese boxes in American style boxes? I know people have posted them here, but I don't know if there's an archive for them.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So i have touched my hack snes mini since like November time, whats the latest hack to use and how would i got about installing it, would it be best to reset the snes mini back to factory default it thats even possible?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
From what I could find there isn't. Would be a good idea to round up what's out there and set one up though.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Sadly, the Super Metroid x Link to the Past hack doesn't seem to work on the Mini :(

It converts it to an ExHiROM type that the SNES Mini doesn't like.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have custom NA style boxarts for these games, or are willing to make one?

- Battle Pinball.
- Far East Of Eden Zero.
- Ganbare! Daiku No Gen-San.
- Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman Zero.
- Keeper.
- Romancing Sa-Ga.
- Romancing Sa-Ga II.
- Romancing Sa-Ga III.
- Shin Nekketsu Kouha: Kunio-Tachi No Banka.
- Super Drift Out.
- Ys IV - Mask Of The Sun.
- Ys V - Kefin, Lost Kingdom Of Sand.

Nov 1, 2017
I just picked up a SNES Classic. I have to say, I really appreciate how the system cycles through each game demo. Particularly how Luigi selects the graphical models while Mario selects the game.

I'm surprised that CRT is probably my favorite display mode. I'll have to do some experimenting before I make a final decision though.

I originally planned to add a few extra games onto the system (Donkey Kong Country 2, Chrono Trigger, and Pilotwings to name a few). However, seeing how neat a package it all is, I think I'll keep them to an emubox build instead.

If I'm not mistaken, the ROMs built into the SNES Classic are heavily modified versions to work with the SNES emulator correct? Otherwise, perhaps they could be extracted and used with Higan? I realize the answer to this question has probably been answered somewhere within this massive thread, so I'll start reading through it.

I accidentally downloaded covers for the 21 original games and some of them use an inferior source than what was there by default. Any way to undo that short of flashing the console again?

I'm curious to hear if there's a fix for this. I'm going to connect my SNES Classic as soon as I have access to a computer. If they're easily extractable from a stock build, I can grab a copy for you.

Last edited:

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
If I'm not mistaken, the ROMs built into the SNES Classic are heavily modified versions to work with the SNES emulator correct? Otherwise, perhaps they could be extracted and used with Higan? I realize the answer to this question has probably been answered somewhere within this massive thread, so I'll start reading through it.
The main changes are to reduce flashing and remove any graphical symbols that are not acceptable today compared to the early 1990s. Rather then ripping the rims of the SNESC, some of us override the default games with patched versions that improve QOL/controls/fix bugs etc.

I'm curious to hear if there's a fix for this. I'm going to connect my SNES Classic as soon as I have access to a computer. If they're easily extractable from a stock build, I can grab a copy for you.
Just choose "reset/restore original games" in hakchi2CE. sorry can't remember the exact wording.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have custom NA style boxarts for these games, or are willing to make one?

- Battle Pinball.
- Far East Of Eden Zero.
- Ganbare! Daiku No Gen-San.
- Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman Zero.
- Keeper.
- Romancing Sa-Ga.
- Romancing Sa-Ga II.
- Romancing Sa-Ga III.
- Shin Nekketsu Kouha: Kunio-Tachi No Banka.
- Super Drift Out.
- Ys IV - Mask Of The Sun.
- Ys V - Kefin, Lost Kingdom Of Sand.

did u finally get a new TV?