• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
If you're thinking of updating your hakchi2CE then don't

just wasted 2 hours of my life and am now back to where I was having to rebuild everything due to not taking a backup!

FFS

ecto

Jan 28, 2018
Yall gotta stop updating just because its there. 2.21f for life

But... but... I thought the real game was installing, patching looking for info and striving for the perfect setup! :D

That being said, Hakchi CE now has some advantages. Namely the differential updates. I have an internal SD mod and the game installation is reduced to only uploading the newest game additions.

On the other hand, I had some serious problems, too. Backups all the way!

"Save early, save often" (was that Sierra?)

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Does everything here apply to the Super Famicom Mini? Will this change everything to the NA region?

I've got one and it does apply to the SFC Mini. It won't make it everything to NA but the SFC and SNES ROMs are all NTSC.

There is a patch to make the interface in English but when I saw the size of the file (it seemed large to me) I passed on it.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Sounds good to me, I just want it to stay as is (with more games that I should soon be able to rip).

It's been a while since I hacked my SFCmini but IIRC the English menu hack wasn't worth using the space on it versus having it for game space.
I think the SFC's menu looks better than the SNESc... the SNESc 's font looks awful.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It's been a while since I hacked my SFCmini but IIRC the English menu hack wasn't worth using the space on it versus having it for game space.
I think the SFC's menu looks better than the SNESc... the SNESc 's font looks awful.

Changing menus to English doesn't interest me; I'd like everything to stay as close to the original format as possible. I don't have a SFC mini yet myself, but I bought it as a gift, and I liked the format it came with (when I played it with the kids).

In an ideal world, Nintendo would have carried the virtual console over from the Wii U to the Mini, but I suppose hacking it will give me access to more games anyways. I think I read that the limit was 60 or so games though? Then again, I might not go over that.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No. You can have as many games as you can fit, you just shouldn't have more than 40 games PER PAGE/FOLDER or else you'll get system crashes.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone feel like helping out testing games that haven't been tested before?

There are tons of Japanese games that have not been tested yet, or at least reported. I would like to do something about it, so I compiled a list of games that haven't received reports yet. Since there are so many, and I don't want to overwhelm anyone, I will post a list of 15 games, split in segments of 5 games. So anyone that wants to test will take any of the segments (or all?) and claim it so that no one else repeats the same tests.

I will then add the games and results to the Compatibility doc and to sluffy's doc, and if a game has an issue, then sluffy might fix it in the future.

Some guidelines:
  • Use a No-Intro set.
  • Use Hakchi to add the game, do not use SFROM Tool.
  • Just test if a game boots, check the menus and start the gameplay. If everything is fine, then good. If there's an issue with the graphics or sound, please report back with as much detail as possible, and if you can, make a video or take a pic of the issue. Even reporting something silly like a game giving a black screen in silence versus a game giving a black screen with music is sometimes the trigger that allows sluffy to fix a game. So don't skimp on the details.

Here's the first list:

Set 1
Angelique - Voice Fantasy (Japan)
Animal Buranden - Brutal (Japan)
Aoki Densetsu Shoot! (Japan)
Appleseed - Prometheus no Shintaku (Japan)
Aqutallion (Japan)

Set 2
Aretha (Japan)
Aretha II - Ariel no Fushigi na Tabi (Japan)
Aryol (Japan)
Asameshimae Nyanko (Japan)
Atlas, The - Renaissance Voyager (Japan)

Set 3
Bakukyuu Renpatsu!! Super B-Daman (Japan)
Bakumatsu Kourinden Oni (Japan)
Bakutou Dochers - Bumps-jima wa Oosawagi (Japan)
Barbarossa (Japan)
Battle Commander - Hachibushuu, Shura no Heihou (Japan)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Did wonder when we'd get around to all the Japanese games.

Just to add to the above, my version of The Sheet has a JP Games tab that contains every Japanese game we know to have an official Preset ID and ideally you would use that when testing. So if the game you are testing isn't there, you'll want 0000 as standard, tweaking to 1016 if you see hi-res, and so on.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I don't think anyone cares to test stuff anymore. They have the games they wanted fixed already.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
That's pretty much it. Era is primarily English-based so that's the games most users would want.
I'd say, for English versions of games that have issues, why not test those to see if the problem exists or not (like Mega Man X2's slowdown or PilotWings weird collision issue with default ID).

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Because this is to help the cause, not to advance each person's individual library. And if no one tests those Japanese games, then no one will be able to fix them. That's why I separated the games in chunks of 5, to make it easier for lazy people that would still want to help.

Pilotwings has been fixed for a long time already. There's nothing to be done about MMX2 unless someone converts the game to fastrom.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Demi's going to flip once he sees all the games I'm adding which will give him an uncontrollable urge to test them all to make sense of his existence.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So whatever happened to trying to fix Yoshi'S Island disappearing background? Did he ever manage to do it or did he give up? :(

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
There was no conclusive reason as to why the on-board YI works but an added ROM doesn't, right? (Well, flickers IIRC)

Thora-G

Oct 27, 2017
Ok i Testet all 3 sets

Set 1
Angelique - Voice Fantasy (Japan)
http://abload.de/img/q8uxy.jpg , http://abload.de/image.php?img=gxuiu.jpg
and here a Pic of the Character Portraits in BSNES https://abload.de/img/angelique-voicefantaselot7.png Looks like it should look like this , google Image Search shows the same with the Portraits gonig outside of the Text Box

Animal Buranden - Brutal (Japan)

Aoki Densetsu Shoot! (Japan)

Appleseed - Prometheus no Shintaku (Japan)

Aqutallion (Japan)

Set 2
Aretha (Japan)

Aretha II - Ariel no Fushigi na Tabi (Japan)

Aryol (Japan)
Title Screen is Glitched http://abload.de/image.php?img=6hqbc.jpg should look like this https://abload.de/img/aryoljapan-20180501-11qr2i.png game itself looks ok

Asameshimae Nyanko (Japan)
http://abload.de/image.php?img=hzrgi.jpg looks ok but i have no idea what i should do in this game

Atlas, The - Renaissance Voyager (Japan)
http://abload.de/image.php?img=iaraf.jpg another game where i have no idea what to do

Set 3
Bakukyuu Renpatsu!! Super B-Daman (Japan)

Bakumatsu Kourinden Oni (Japan)

Bakutou Dochers - Bumps-jima wa Oosawagi (Japan)
http://abload.de/image.php?img=9nsfd.jpg yea i runs fine but i have no idea what kind of game this is

Barbarossa (Japan)
http://abload.de/image.php?img=d0sdw.jpg I have no idea how to start the game . After you press new game there is i think a unit selection but i cant figure out what to do here same in bsnes

Battle Commander - Hachibushuu, Shura no Heihou (Japan)

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the tests Thora-G !!

But next time don't put them in spoiler tags, it actually makes it harder for me to go through the info :P

Angelique - Voice Fantasy. Sorry but I don't understand the report? I can't see what the problem is.

Atlas, The - Renaissance Voyager. The game actually uses hi-res, can you use ID 1610 (Hakchi) / 1016 (SFROM Tool) and see if it makes the map and text look sharper?

For Barbarossa all you have to do is press Y when you are at the vehicle selection screen, pick the second option and press B.

As for the other games, if you think they are fine, then there's no need to take pics of them. Just report on the ones that have issues.
Don't worry about not understanding how to play the game, right now the tests are more about apparent issues like testing if the game loads at all, or if there are any apparent graphical issues.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Please help out testing games that haven't been tested before.

There are tons of Japanese games that have not been tested yet, or at least reported. I would like to do something about it, so I compiled a list of games that haven't received reports yet. Since there are so many, and I don't want to overwhelm anyone, I will post a list of 15 games, split in segments of 5 games. So anyone that wants to test will take any of the segments (or all?) and claim it so that no one else repeats the same tests.

I will then add the games and results to the Compatibility doc and to sluffy's doc, and if a game has an issue, then sluffy might fix it in the future.

Some guidelines:
  • Use a No-Intro set.
  • Just test if a game boots, check the menus and start the gameplay. If everything is fine, then good. If there's an issue with the graphics or sound, please report back with as much detail as possible, and if you can, make a video or take a pic of the issue. Even reporting something silly like a game giving a black screen in silence versus a game giving a black screen with music is sometimes the trigger that allows sluffy to fix a game. So don't skimp on the details.

Here's the first list:

Set 1
Battle Dodge Ball - Toukyuu Daigekitotsu! (Japan)
Battle Dodge Ball II (Japan)
Battle Jockey (Japan)
Battle Master - Kyuukyoku no Senshi-tachi (Japan)

Set 2
Battle Robot Retsuden (Japan)
Battle Soccer - Field no Hasha (Japan)
Battle Soccer 2 (Japan)
Battle Submarine (Japan)
Battle Tycoon - Flash Hiders SFX (Japan)

Set 3
Battle Zeque Den (Japan)
BattleTech (Japan)
BattleTech 3050 (Japan)
Bazoe! Mahou Sekai (Japan)
Benkei Gaiden - Suna no Shou (Japan)

Last edited:

Thora-G

Oct 27, 2017
In Angelique the Character Portraits dont fit in the Text box and at first i thougt this was a bug but apparently it should look like this.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
In Angelique the Character Portraits dont fit in the Text box and at first i thougt this was a bug but apparently it should look like this.

Ah, ok. I thought there was an issue I wasn't seeing. Thanks!

Thora-G can you take a pic of the "Altron presents" logo in Aryol? It's a hi-res logo and I want to know how it's displaying.

Last edited:

Thora-G

Oct 27, 2017

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. Yep, thought so about the Altron logo. It goes offscreen.

So when you used the ID on atlas the bottom went black? Thanks, that helps a lot.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Aryol's title screen is also hi-res, so I'd like to see what 1016/1610 does to that. It's unlikely it will un-corrupt it, but who knows.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Aryol's title screen is also hi-res, so I'd like to see what 1016/1610 does to that. It's unlikely it will un-corrupt it, but who knows.

It probably also goes off screen (on top of being glitchy). Check his original image, it shows it going offscreen.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
I'm up for testing exclusive SFC games. After all a bunch of those are in my favorites list. T&E SOFT golf games, Umihara Kawase, etc

However, I'd rather not test crap games that nobody will ever play. So is there any way we can prioritise good games rather than simply going through from A to Z?

Just a thought.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm up for testing exclusive SFC games. After all a bunch of those are in my favorites list. T&E SOFT golf games, Umihara Kawase, etc

However, I'd rather not test crap games that nobody will ever play. So is there any way we can prioritise good games rather than simply going through from A to Z?

Just a thought.

Well, look up the doc, check if your fav game is there. If it's not, or if it doesn't say "Working", then test the game and report back.

I can't prioritize it the way you want because I have no idea what games other people might like. It's best to go in order to be able to maintain some sort of organized structure and minimize mistakes.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I used the EvilGames patches for all my testing of PAL games, but its probably the Preset ID that is needed

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Please help out testing games that haven't been tested before.

Some guidelines:
  • Use a No-Intro set.

Here's the first list:

Set 1
Battle Cross (Japan)
Battle Dodge Ball - Toukyuu Daigekitotsu! (Japan)
Battle Dodge Ball II (Japan)
Battle Jockey (Japan)
Battle Master - Kyuukyoku no Senshi-tachi (Japan)

Set 2
Battle Robot Retsuden (Japan)
Battle Soccer - Field no Hasha (Japan)
Battle Soccer 2 (Japan)
Battle Submarine (Japan)
Battle Tycoon - Flash Hiders SFX (Japan)

Set 3
Battle Zeque Den (Japan)
BattleTech (Japan)
BattleTech 3050 (Japan)
Bazoe! Mahou Sekai (Japan)
Benkei Gaiden - Suna no Shou (Japan)

I already have Battle Cross on my Mini and I can report it works fine

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
For a few off the list - La Wares works using the translation so the Japanese rom should be fine, SpellCraft - Aspects of Valor (Proto) works

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
05 Apr 1991
New 3D Golf Simulation - Harukanaru Augusta, Japan = OK

10 Apr 1992
New 3D Golf Simulation - Pebble Beach no Hatou, Japan = OK

Same engine.

--

18 Sep 1992
New 3D Golf Simulation - Waialae no Kiseki, Japan = GRAPHICS ISSUES
https://i.imgur.com/UMIUtBv.png
https://i.imgur.com/kZ6HXXN.png

05 Mar 1993
New 3D Golf Simulation - Devil's Course, Japan = GRAPHICS ISSUES
https://i.imgur.com/9jWI7bo.png
https://i.imgur.com/yJZn48B.png
https://i.imgur.com/xXNcmIT.png

Same engine.
Same problem that was fixed by sluffy in Wicked 18 (USA)

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For a few off the list - La Wares works using the translation so the Japanese rom should be fine

Not necessarily.

Thanks for the reports gingerbeardman . Weird that New 3D Golf Simulation - Waialae no Kiseki has graphic issues, but the USA version (True Golf Classics: Waialae Country Club) is marked as working fine? Does anyone know if it's a bogus report?

Last edited:

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Question about the NES mini space ( not snes ), im at 281MB out of 333MB with my game installed. I dont plan to use much really the built in save point system ( only want to use the save from the game mostly ) and retro arch auto save state is disable. Im just wondering if i could squeze more game ( like to go to around 300 MB), leaving an extra 30 MB, should be ok so i wont get an error ? Never had any so far, i just want to be precaucious.