• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 21, 2018
Wow, I'm having a lot of trouble here. Trying to use hakchi2.2, and it always freezes up at this screen when trying to install the driver.

EDIT - seems I totally broke my SNES mini. When I turn it on now, the LED turns on, then turns off after about 5 seconds. When plugged into a display, it just shows 'shutting down' as soon as I turn it on. Somehow in the process of trying to add more games, I now have zero.

Last edited:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Hey Robin64 I FINALLY decided to get Hakchi and mess around. The only thing is, I downloaded 1.2.2, I figured it can't be much different but the only thing is, there's no Dump Original Kernel, just Install/Repair, so I just did that assuming it made the backup automatically. Am I screwed?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Hey Robin64 I FINALLY decided to get Hakchi and mess around. The only thing is, I downloaded 1.2.2, I figured it can't be much different but the only thing is, there's no Dump Original Kernel, just Install/Repair, so I just did that assuming it made the backup automatically. Am I screwed?

That function was out-dated and isn't needed any more. The backup is now done automatically as part of the install script and saved directly in the console's NAND memory.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems like games with sound issues like Plok! and Space Megaforce received a patch? Is it still a work in progress?
Different issue but is there any hope for WeaponLord to be fixed aswell?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Those two games are fixed,unless someone finds something new.

WL hasn't been worked on. Sluffy works with what he's interested at the moment. Maybe one day it will get fixed, maybe not.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Those two games are fixed,unless someone finds something new.

WL hasn't been worked on. Sluffy works with what he's interested at the moment. Maybe one day it will get fixed, maybe not.

Oh I see, still great to have the games with sound issues fixed.
Can't believe how much progress has been done in a few months, things like Uniracers and Space Megaforce seemed unfixable, I wonder if someone will ever go back and fix problem games on the NES mini aswell; there weren't *that* many of them but the console didn't receive so much love last year.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Robin is working on a compat list for the NES Classic, and possibly fixing some games by the time it's released this summer.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Gun Smoke's entry says this:
"It boots, but nothing can be done without a NES Zapper which the NES Mini does not emulate."

I think this goes in Gumshoe.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well, the only good one is Gun Smoke, so you can forget about the other ones.

Last edited:
Should be of interesting note that a standalone Quake package (comes with Shareware pak, so its good on that end) is in the works for Hakchi aswell as Quake 3 Arena. Swingflip will release that when the subreddit reaches 10k subscribers (Which as of now, are already reached, last i checked they were at 10.451).

There is also Zdoom coming along the way. So it seems like the olde classics could be running as standalone titles on the NES/SNES Classix hardware soon enough.

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
Robin, if you want i can upload my patch pack for the NES Mini, I have 29 patches in it at present, that includes the ones already part of hakchi

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
29? Wow! What do you have? Let's have a look.

Ones I have...

Snow Bros
Micro Machines
Battletoads
Linus Spacehead Cosmic Crusade
Low G Man
Startropics II
Dizzy the Adventurer
Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy
Robocop 3
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Awesome thanks. I see some patches we have for the same game with different CRCs already, but both can happily live in the patches folder with no conflict so that's fine. Nice one.

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
The weird one is Youkai Club mapper 86 hack which works, don't know why Nintendo put that mapper in, I made the Road Runner and Rolling Thunder mapper hacks last year when we were trying to get more stuff to work, Rolling Thunder was thanks to the French Translation which had the mapper hacked. Mapper 86 is used for Moero!! Pro Yakuu, maybe they were going to include it at some point so its mapper is included.

Last edited:

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
The Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken patches in my NES Mini patches aren't needed, the translation is what needed the mapper hack, Here's the patch for that https://www.sendspace.com/file/22rs77
This patch works but not quite correctly, Just remove this game from the patch pack for the time being.
Robin, you have Klax as working on your doc, the US Tengen version doesn't work only the Japanese rom of Klax works

Last edited:

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to get Robin64 's FFV patch to work with the GBA script port?, once I patch the rom with the re translation it no longer picks up Robin's patch.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There was mention a bit back about a fix for magic in Rudras? http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=rnh

Can this just be applied on top of the English translation and hi-res text fix?

I haven't actually dipped into Rudras yet as I'm focusing on finishing Earthbound for the first time ever (using MaternalBound).

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Honestly I don't see why not, but if you haven't started the game yet anyway, why not just make a nice new fresh version?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So I've finally started playing Star Ocean now that the patch has been released and uh... couple of observations (most on the game itself, not necessarily related to Canoe):

1. I've clocked in 3 hours so far and I'm utterly confused as to how battles are supposed to not turn into a random chaotic mess. So far I've been able to win every single one by just mashing A. Does this ever get good?

2. Whenever you win a fight and items spring out of chests with that neat Yoshi's Island-style scaling effect, some very noticeable slowdown occurs. Did this happen on real hardware?

3. Often when dashing around environments, it's not rare to see parts of sprites that should be behind a background appear in front. It happens because the characters' tails occupy more space when dashing. Is this normal or a priority glitch in Canoe?

4. Skill Points. Am I expected to spend all of them immediately or what? I'm not sure about how I should be spending any of them or why/how anything unlocks any ability. The game explains jackshit. Can I get fucked later on if I spend them the wrong way?

5. Whenever at the entrance of a town, you get a "Private Action" option that allows you to explore the town without your party. So far I've not come across a single time where something has changed because of this. Is this normal or am I not looking hard enough? What's the point?

6. Is it just me or is the art in the game weird, in the sense that the delimitation between walkable and non-walkable tiles is very muddy? I often can't make sense of what I'm seeing on screen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
1. You do, for the most part, mash A. The strategy comes from setup, especially later on. But it never evolves beyond that really.

2. Yep.

3. Normal.

4. Make sure you have dash (which you clearly have done) to open rooms in an early dungeon, otherwise focus on stuff that aids in combat. For the weirder out of battle skills, only one person in your party needs them. Just be sure to always buy the skill books in towns to get all of them opened up. Late game, more exclusive stuff for characters crops up too. You can get every single skill to max on everyone if you really want, so you can't screw up.

5. They're mostly just for extra character development, but a few will unlock stuff. Honestly, I would consult a guide there, your chance of randomly hitting a positive effect is very slim.

6. It is a bit. Late SNES game, trying to push 2D to the limit, doesn't always work.

Star Ocean isn't the amazing long-lost classic some people will hope for, I'm afraid, but it was the first in an excellent series. The later games really do get much better (and then worse again).

Every games company ever is currently chasing Nintendo bandwagon:SNK is Releasing a Neo Geo Classics Retro Console

I mean... Nintendo are always ahead of the pack.

I would kill for an Amiga Mini. Actual murder.
Perhaps the Apollo Team Vampire V4 Standalone might be of interest? It is an Amiga running an FPGA with a new 68k CPU as a softcore, and running SAGA (Super AGA), equivalent to 200-300 Mhz 060, with 512 mb DDR3 and the ability to run at 1080p.. Vampire is also available as drop-in replacement for Amiga A1200.

Picture:

DSC02308-1.jpg

Specs: http://www.apollo-accelerators.com/files/V4_announcement_v1_5.pdf

Coud be interesting :) I am looking forward to this one, seems as small as a TV box but runs Amiga natively :)

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
1. You do, for the most part, mash A. The strategy comes from setup, especially later on. But it never evolves beyond that really.

2. Yep.

3. Normal.

4. Make sure you have dash (which you clearly have done) to open rooms in an early dungeon, otherwise focus on stuff that aids in combat. For the weirder out of battle skills, only one person in your party needs them. Just be sure to always buy the skill books in towns to get all of them opened up. Late game, more exclusive stuff for characters crops up too. You can get every single skill to max on everyone if you really want, so you can't screw up.

5. They're mostly just for extra character development, but a few will unlock stuff. Honestly, I would consult a guide there, your chance of randomly hitting a positive effect is very slim.

6. It is a bit. Late SNES game, trying to push 2D to the limit, doesn't always work.

Star Ocean isn't the amazing long-lost classic some people will hope for, I'm afraid, but it was the first in an excellent series. The later games really do get much better (and then worse again).

Okay! Thanks Robin! :) :)

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
IF you want to play those games on a NES mini Retroarch you will have to use retroarch, Lagrange Point uses Konami VRC 7 for the high quality audio

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Robin, does the NESC also play FDS games natively or does it need retroarch?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Weird, there are many VC FDS games, and some of the Famicom Mini's games are even FDS games (like Zelda 2 and Famicom Tantei Club).

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I keep wondering when the NES Classic is getting restocked already. Still just the vague Summer date?

I really want to have the two Nintendo boxes sitting next to each other while I obsessively patch in hundreds of games I'll probably never play.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I keep wondering when the NES Classic is getting restocked already. Still just the vague Summer date?

I really want to have the two Nintendo boxes sitting next to each other while I obsessively patch in hundreds of games I'll probably never play.

Good question. I wonder if Nintendo was planning on the SNESC to still be somewhat hard to get a hold of by this point in time. Everywhere I look it's still sold out. Wouldn't be such a good idea to put a stop to it in order to bring back the NES...

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They don't need to stop the SNESC. Both systems will be available at the same time.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo said that the NESC was intended to be a novelty item, something they were going to make once and that was it because they didn't think it was going to sell too much. But the sales frenzy ended up being so high, they decided to produce it again.

Now, I'm sure that by the time they realized it was a hit, they had already started production of the SNESC, so there wasn't a quick way to get more NESC done right away.

But, they are taking almost 2 years to re-release the same product? I don't think so. I firmly believe the NES Classic they are going to release this summer will be an updated device. Instead of being $60, it will be 70 or 80. Will have 2 controllers (with longer wires), will have a rewind feature and will possibly have a better/different selection of games. The Japanese version will probably have properly sized controllers this time around, instead of the mini crap controllers they released.

There's just no reason to take almost 2 years to re-release the exact same device.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo said that the NESC was intended to be a novelty item, something they were going to make once and that was it because they didn't think it was going to sell too much. But the sales frenzy ended up being so high, they decided to produce it again.

Now, I'm sure that by the time they realized it was a hit, they had already started production of the SNESC, so there wasn't a quick way to get more NESC done right away.

But, they are taking almost 2 years to re-release the same product? I don't think so. I firmly believe the NES Classic they are going to release this summer will be an updated device. Instead of being $60, it will be 70 or 80. Will have 2 controllers (with longer wires), will have a rewind feature and will possibly have a better/different selection of games. The Japanese version will probably have properly sized controllers this time around, instead of the mini crap controllers they released.

There's just no reason to take almost 2 years to re-release the exact same device.

That's what I'm hoping for: I've been tempted more than once to scour eBay and Craigslist, but if the wait gets us an updated model that's at least on par with the SNESC (and just as moddable to boot), then it'll be worth it.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If Higan doesn't show that background, then Canoe definitely will not show it either.

If the guy that did that demo added some sort of programming that a real SNES doesn't recognize, then emulators will not recognize it either. That new emulator you mentioned shows the background because it it obviously recognizes whatever programing that guy used.

Now, of course, that's assuming it's something new.