• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

demi

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is the ips format itself. You can't make a tool with the limited data in the files that does header/unheadered detection except in some rare cases.

For example, if I make a patch that changes a single offset halfway through the file, there's nothing in the ips there to give a clue if I meant to use a headered or unheadered ROM. The info given is "offset, size of change, bytes to change to" and so the position would be valid in both a headered and unheadered ROM.

You could detect if an ips is trying to write to an area beyond the ROM's end, in which case you could assume it needs a headered ROM, but that's a rare occurence.

I would guess you could just make an option that says "Patch requires Header" then it does a pass to add a header -> apply patch -> remove header -> done, just like the TUSH method.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I would guess you could just make an option that says "Patch requires Header" then it does a pass to add a header -> apply patch -> remove header -> done, just like the TUSH method.

Or just removes $200 from the ips values at the point of patching.

But yes, it's odd this isn't a thing that any app added. It wouldn't stop people getting it wrong, but would give an easy second option to try if their first attempt failed because they didn't know what they were doing so much.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Well, looking at the source, it turns out there actually is an option to remove a header (when a game is added that has a header). Of course, this is useless if the game comes in without a header, while the patch requires one.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The source code is nicely written, and I understand.. a chunk of it.

Wouldn't be too hard to have an option when adding an IPS that asks "Does this patch require a headered ROM?"

We already know if the user is supplying a headered ROM or not based on the file size. So then one of four things will happen:

Headered ROM + Headered Patch = Apply IPS values then remove ROM header
Unheadered ROM + Headered Patch = Apply IPS values - $200
Headered ROM + Unheadered Patch = Remove ROM header then apply IPS values
Unheadered ROM + Unheadered Patch = Apply IPS values

I'll have a proper look tomorrow at work, I have more tools for that sort of thing there.

--------------------------

The other option is we convince romhacking.net to stop hosting old patches that require headered ROMs. We've moved on now, so someone could "easily" get all the patches that require headers, run them through ipsbehead, and reupload them.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I highly gotta recommend Marvelous: Another Treasure Island. Played the 2016 localization and translation patch, really cool game

You played it on the SNES Classic? Please we need a save near the ending to test a glitch. Just connect the SNESC to hakchi, open save manager, export the save, and upload somewhere.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I see people whining about MegaMan X2 and Bubble Crab's stage. They are saying there is slowdown during the fish segment and when he shines its light.

I'm not sure if this is emulator or hardware, but this does slowdown on there too. Is it similar to this or worse?

https://youtu.be/UVelfjFf2a8?t=45s

Nothing that can be done about it. Either someone makes a fastrom patch better than the one sluffy made, or disassembles Canoe to optimize the emulation of the game.

This is a completely new OS install, so I've lost all that data unfortunately. I was hoping to avoid having to redo everything, but that might be unavoidable.

You can FTP into the SNES and extract your games.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that was my question if it was intentional slowdown. But as you know people apparently remember games being 60fps BALLS TO THE WALLS ACTION back then

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
SNES games were plagued by slowdown. It never bothered me one bit, but other people hated it.

The fish section gets slower than normal in the SNESC, but the original had a bit of slowdown too, specially when there was a lot on screen (missiles, laser, enemies, bullets and a HUGE FUCKING FISH)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
SNES games were plagued by slowdown. It never bothered me one bit, but other people hated it.

It always cracked me up when people would report the slowdown in Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts as an emulation issue

I've mastered that game back in the day. I've tried the restoration patch that also removes the slowdown, however, for me, it makes it play like an entirely different game! The game isn't the same without the slowdown!

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When Virtual Console switched to 60Hz games and I got to play many old SNES games as US version for the first time, the extra slowdown compared to the PAL versions was the first thing I noticed. It is kinda annoying when you remember these games running "better", but then again 50Hz was hardly "better".

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
When Virtual Console switched to 60Hz games and I got to play many old SNES games as US version for the first time, the extra slowdown compared to the PAL versions was the first thing I noticed. It is kinda annoying when you remember these games running "better", but then again 50Hz was hardly "better".

Yeah man, exact same experience here. It's been weird seeing how many US games have slowdown where our PAL ones were fine other than running completely slower all round.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
You played it on the SNES Classic? Please we need a save near the ending to test a glitch. Just connect the SNESC to hakchi, open save manager, export the save, and upload somewhere.
Sure I'll see if I can do that this weekend. I have a save state at the escape sequence. Or do you mean the battery save file?

The credits did glitch out on me at the end.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Preferably the battery save. Just do an export via hakchi and it should contain any save states and battery saves you have (*.clvs)

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sure I'll see if I can do that this weekend. I have a save state at the escape sequence. Or do you mean the battery save file?

The credits did glitch out on me at the end.

Well, if you used the game's native save, then yes, the battery save will be there. But if you ONLY used save states, then no, the battery save will not be there. Is there any way you can load your save state and save the game like you would normally do with a real cartridge?

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if you used the game's native save, then yes, the battery save will be there. But if you ONLY used save states, then no, the battery save will not be there. Is there any way you can load your save state and save the game like you would normally do with a real cartridge?
I thought upon loading a savestate, it generates the sram?

EDIT: Just checked, it does.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It generates one yes, but if you never saved in wherever the game allows you to save (inn? world map? menu?), then it won't have a valid sram file. I need the sram because that's what I can load on a PC emulator, which sluffy would need to possibly fix the text issue.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys!
I've just noticed that there's a new version of Hackchi2 (I'm at v2.21f and the new one it's 2.30) Should I update my SNES Mini? It's worth it? Where can I find a tutorial to update? I don't want to kill mi SNES.
Also, is Top Gear 2 working? I'm having a black screen when I start the game :(

demi

Oct 27, 2017
1. If everything is working fine DONT update. Theres no reason to. I am on 2.21f and things are peachy.

2. Top Gear 2 should be working after patch. I dont know how you are adding this game to help diagnose.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think it is. Nothing CE has makes me want to update. In fact I'll stay on 2.21f for the forseeable future. I have what I want.

TeenTin

Mar 14, 2018
What I concern most are :

1. Compatibility
2. Performance
3. Stability

Any other things are just minor.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Hakchi CE will do nothing to make games run better. You can use Robin's patches and SFROM Tool on any version if that is your concern.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. If everything is working fine DONT update. Theres no reason to. I am on 2.21f and things are peachy.

2. Top Gear 2 should be working after patch. I dont know how you are adding this game to help diagnose.

I'll stay on 2.21f for the moment, I don't have any reason to update since all my games ar working fine.
I used the sfrom tool to convert my roms from .smc to .sfrom and now Top Gear 2 works perfect! (Don't know about 2 players)

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Unless it doesn't let you save in the escape sequence, yes. I used the native game save function regularly but I don't know how close the last one to the ending was. If it's not that close I can play through a bit from a previous save since I know all the solutions at this point.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Unless it doesn't let you save in the escape sequence, yes. I used the native game save function regularly but I don't know how close the last one to the ending was. If it's not that close I can play through a bit from a previous save since I know all the solutions at this point.

A native save as close to the ending as possible would be great. And directions to get to the ending would be aces too :P

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Search for -KM Mednafen NGP HMOD- thats the Core for NGP and NGPC
I tried googling a lot, and found similar files. I tried to rename a file that was almost that name, but the file extenion was not hmod. Offcourse that did not work. :P Seems like it's not a part of the core packs I'm finding.

Now I am looking into applying a re-translation patch to Final Fantasy VI. Is it recommended to run all patched games in retroarch instead of the included emulator?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
It is recommended to use Retroarch if a game does not work on Canoe. Does the re-translation work on Canoe? Pretty sure the Woolsey patch is confirmed working.

MrMan2k7

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
I tried googling a lot, and found similar files. I tried to rename a file that was almost that name, but the file extenion was not hmod. Offcourse that did not work. :P Seems like it's not a part of the core packs I'm finding.

Now I am looking into applying a re-translation patch to Final Fantasy VI. Is it recommended to run all patched games in retroarch instead of the included emulator?
Which core pack are you using? Try KMFDManic's pack here: https://github.com/KMFDManic/NESC-SNESC-Modifications/releases

The Neo Geo Pocket (Color) hmod is called "_km_mednafen_ngp_4_12_18.hmod"

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Woolsey Uncensored translation does indeed work, it's the one I am using myself.
It is recommended to use Retroarch if a game does not work on Canoe. Does the re-translation work on Canoe? Pretty sure the Woolsey patch is confirmed working.

Which core pack are you using? Try KMFDManic's pack here: https://github.com/KMFDManic/NESC-SNESC-Modifications/releases

The Neo Geo Pocket (Color) hmod is called "_km_mednafen_ngp_4_12_18.hmod"

Thank you, you are all so helpful. I am very grateful! :) I'll start working on it. On a side not: Playing the Snes mini with my 4 year old daughter and my wife is such a joy. Connecting old systems is such a hassle, but with this little thing I am actually going back to my joys of my youth. Ah nostalgia :)

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK

The link to the KM retroarch pack is in the penultimate paragraph of the OP. It's not so obvious. Robin, can we change it to the full URL rather than the linked "here" word? Cheers

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Slim. That method requires a lot of grunt that the SNES Mini just doesn't have.

This feature is available in RetroArch 1.7.2a that is already available from hakchi resources or the hmod store in the latest Hakchi2CE.

I'm yet to try it.

Hmm, keep the thread posted.

I'm just waiting for the day we get input lag equal to the Classic itself, so that we can then just insert whatever game we want through Retroarch, SNES or otherwise.

Oct 27, 2017
This feature is available in RetroArch 1.7.2a that is already available from hakchi resources or the hmod store in the latest Hakchi2CE.

I'm yet to try it.
Is it actually implemented on the SNES Mini build or just listed in the UI?
The UI for the Neo and KMFD builds have a lot of options that are holdovers from the fully functional Retroarch but not actually implemented and don't do anything if you change the settings.

I'd be surprised if this is actually fully supported as even the Raspberry PI that's far more powerful then the SNES Mini can't come close to playable frame rates emulating the NES with it enabled let alone the SNES.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to play:

- Dragon Quest 3 (Eng)
- Fire Emblem (Project Naga)
- Tales of Phantasia
- Tengai Makyo Zero

Just go ahead and install Retroarch

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Also I know I'm late (been busy) but I can confirm that patch rock2a for Rock n Roll Racing fixes all issues. The game seems perfect now. Could not spot any anomalies! Hail sluffy!

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Doubtful. Sluffy doesn't know how to fix sound issues yet.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently running hakchi 2.21f. What are the pros and cons of upgrading at this point? It seems like the way patches work is easier, or do I have that wrong? Also I know that I need to download the new patch file, so does updating hakchi make that whole process easier or harder?

I'm really inexperienced with all of this, and I'm looking for some direction and maybe what to do to update what I currently have.