• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 25, 2017
So I know that true super gameboy emulation isn't feasible for this thing, but I know a number of pc emulators have simulated it in the past by setting the same color palettes and displaying the SGB borders.
AU8UELB.png

Is it possible to do similar on the SNESC? I'd settle for the palette alone if I have to. Maybe have retroarch simulating the color palette and then manually setting a retroarch border on a per game basis? I think I read that's possible. How would I do that?

atmuh

Oct 25, 2017
just got to hacking mine and I have 2 questions, apologies if they have been asked over and over.

1. is it possible to enable 4 player support for a game like Bomberman?
2. how do I enable slowrom to get illusion of gaia to work?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Just want to say that the 2D Box Art link posted earlier worked a treat. They got the Equinox box incorrect though, no big deal. Just spent tonight testing a bunch of translated games. All seemed to work without issue aside from one (Villgust, unless someone got it working?).

I've been adding and editing the community google spreadsheet as I've been going along as well.

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm going to drive myself mad but I started making my own boxes for arcade games that don't have good artwork or just ones I wanted to do.
bmPJxL7.png

PSogUbi.png

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend would like me to hack games onto his NES classic, I assume the start process is the same? (Hold Reset, hit power, release Reset a few second later - install driver, dump kernal, flash custom kernal)?

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
My friend would like me to hack games onto his NES classic, I assume the start process is the same? (Hold select, hit power, release select a few second later - install driver, dump kernal, flash custom kernal)?

The process is pretty much the same. With how small NES games are you can pretty much fit the entire library on there no problem.

TigerPhin

Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to say thanks for the excellent thread and guidance.

Worth hacking just for the button combination hook to jump back to the selection screen.

My SNES classic has now become a dream machine by being able to add titles like Super Tennis that are in my parents attic somewhere but weren't in the 21 included.

Really awesome and easy to use tool.

Next up, delving into custom backgrounds...

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't see anything about it in the OP, but do headered vs. non-headered SNES ROMs matter anymore? I extracted all mine from Wii Virtual Console and I think they're probably headered? Maybe?

A header is a vestige of an old era when copiers (game dumpers) would add a line of information to the game. A clean unadulterated ROM shouldn't have a header. Verified dumps from GoodSNES (the ones with a !), shouldn't have a header. And every No-Intro dump should be completely clean of headers too.

Problem arises with old patches, a lot of them used the game dumps of the time, which had headers, and that presents a problem nowadays because dumps are no longer headered.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Right, those patches expect roms w/ headers... and when there isn't one they end up patching the wrong bytes and turn a working rom into a broken one. Considering how prolific headered roms are out there even now and the fact that patch authors eventually stop updating their old patches it's probably going to be an issue that will never go away.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I know that true super gameboy emulation isn't feasible for this thing, but I know a number of pc emulators have simulated it in the past by setting the same color palettes and displaying the SGB borders.
AU8UELB.png

Is it possible to do similar on the SNESC? I'd settle for the palette alone if I have to. Maybe have retroarch simulating the color palette and then manually setting a retroarch border on a per game basis? I think I read that's possible. How would I do that?

I actually made some borders based on each of the Super Game Boy Pokemon frames. They are all located in this folder.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017

Thank you BGSW! Hopefully can be of more use!

I just wanna put a shout out for a cool little mario kart clone on the Super Famicom called "Waku Waku Ski Wonder Shoot"... I'm getting the snes borders loading up but only a black screen for the game and no announcement of a C7 error popping up (that's promising right?). It was released by Human on January 13th 1995... anyone got a ballpark idea of what the preset ID may be to help get the game potentially working without retroarch?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So here's the deal with my Auto Border Generation tool. Right now, it creates the borders but with a white window. This works fine in Canoe, but apparently Retroarch puts its screen behind borders and not on top of them. As such, the white window is obscuring the game.

I've tried coding it to create a transparent window, by filling it with magenta and then having php set that colour to transparent, which sort of works. In Windows, the image is transparent. In web browsers, the image is transparent. Heck, in Paint, the image is transparent. But if I open it in Photoshop, it shows it as magenta. Only Photoshop does this, everything else interprets it as transparent.

As such, I've made a test directory and would love it if someone could use it to generate a border and see if it works with Retroarch now. I don't use it myself, so I can't test.

http://astrasealtools.com/misc/autobordertest/

Please, someone test and let me know. :)

Thanks!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So here's the deal with my Auto Border Generation tool. Right now, it creates the borders but with a white window. This works fine in Canoe, but apparently Retroarch puts its screen behind borders and not on top of them. As such, the white window is obscuring the game.

I've tried coding it to create a transparent window, by filling it with magenta and then having php set that colour to transparent, which sort of works. In Windows, the image is transparent. In web browsers, the image is transparent. Heck, in Paint, the image is transparent. But if I open it in Photoshop, it shows it as magenta. Only Photoshop does this, everything else interprets it as transparent.

As such, I've made a test directory and would love it if someone could use it to generate a border and see if it works with Retroarch now. I don't use it myself, so I can't test.

Thanks!

Sorry Robin, I don't use Retroarch either, can't help. :/

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Thanks!

Speaking of borders, I've noticed you didn't update the OP with the border lists created by people in the prior thread. No rush, but I do want to keep track of any new and potentially amazing borders people have created.

It would also be great if someone made a border creating tool where you could manually split the image any way you want. Like if I have a picture that has a predominantly middle image, I'd want to have the image displayed on the left and right of the main window, instead of swallowed by it.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea if more Hakchi updates are coming? It has been a while.

I've not yet had to update hackchi. Anything special to updating versions?

have RetroArch added though don't know if being used on any of the SNES games as all pulled up backgrounds with the code you had in the first post. Tried using the code on non SNES games but just got a black screen

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
I made an alternate boxart for Yoshi's Cookie because... well the original was a little lacking in my eyes. Here's how it looks on my menu and if you want it for yourself you can find it in my gallery post...

CzHavrP.jpg

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Looked up the PAL version of Yoshi's Cookie and it must have been a super rare release, with someone trying to sell just the manual for over £100 on eBay! (At least the game on its own is less than that).

But if you thought the American box art was boring, the PAL version is even lamer. It's just Chef Mario riding Yoshi on a solid blue background. It also suffers from 'all black box' syndrome.

21240_front.jpg

Last edited:

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
That PAL cover is ...I have no words!!! Why not just go the whole hog and use the complete JPN art haha?!

EDIT: Hmm I might actually add that floor of cookies asset from the SFC cover to my alternate take...

EDIT: Nevermind... did not come out well!

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I took quite a break from PAL boxing, but since Terranigma is now working, I thought I'd work on a few more games from the Super Play's fantasy article.

FFZ2YTP.png
WQstjno.png
GCgrF6r.png
42gi63c.png
DjR6kgD.png
qDyrkM3.png
YOw18n9.png

That Shadowrun art is quite something compared to the American release ha ha.

Wild Guns and R-Type III were a bit annoying in that they both shifted all the assets a bit, so don't quite follow the same template as other boxes. Since I'm trying to more or less re-create them so they are true to the original I did replicate this oddity which is why, for example, the Nintendo logo is smaller on the Wild Guns box.

Album at the usual location.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to play this again.

21624_front.jpg

Castle of Illusion, PGA and the Sonic trilogy too. Can this thing handle it with retroarch without issues?

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Have just bought a SNES Mini from a friend and have now loaded it with Illusion of Time, Terranigma, and all the other classics from my childhood. Thanks for bringing this thread over!

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
I made an alternate boxart for Konami's Sparkster because I always loved the clip art in the instruction manual more than what the cover represented. Here's how it looks on my menu and if you want it for yourself, you can find it in my gallery post...

wpYb6aN.jpg

EDIT: Jeez... I love Sparkster so much, I just couldn't help but make an alternate cover art to my alternate cover art! Grab it also from my gallery post
3dKxH9t.jpg

Last edited:

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Spent my morning wowing Lance with my hang-gliding skills. Pilotwings on the mini works great, and it really benefits from save states so you can retry events.

Can the exact same program and method be used to hack the NES classic as well?
You can use Hakchi for as NES or SNES but you must have a unique copy of Hakchi per device.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Nintendo Age (http://nintendoage.com) is the only place I've found where can find a complete 100% authentic US SNES boxarts collection. I have verified their boxarts for over 100 games and not once I've encountered a fake one. The only problem is you have to crop the front of the box because they scan the entire box.
Thanks for the tip!
I'm going to use this shortcut (replacing 'face' with what I need) to help my boxart hunt.

I'm in the UK but I'm starting to realise resources for PAL boxart are far less reliable.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Anyone regret hacking it? I mean, I'm very pleased to have Actraiser, Demon's Crest and especially Chrono Trigger in it, but now it feels tainted.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK NO!

Also ^this^

In fact i've hacked 3 extra. 1 for my gf's siblings and 2 for friends. If anything it felt tainted before it was hacked with such a small selection of probably one of the best console generations of all time.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the UK but I'm starting to realise resources for PAL boxart are far less reliable.
Tell me about it ha ha.

I've found eBay UK a good place to check what the art should look like since, more often or not, if you do find a nice clean version of PAL boxart, it's actually a Photoshop rather than a proper scan.