• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Got my SNES mini today - I've been trying to flash the custom kernel onto it, but during the final part of the process, the light always turns off, seemingly disconnecting from my PC. When I then try to play the thing, it boots straight into the "Shutting down" screen, turning off a few seconds after. Now, I can flash the original kernel back onto the console and play it fine that way, but I can't seem to find a way to get more games on this thing. Can anyone help me out? Already tried turning off selective USB suspend in Windows 10 and running the program as administrator, neither of which made a difference.
Which hakchi and what version are you using?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Thanks. No encounter rate change. Too bad. But I guess running helps in getting faster to places, which I guess reduces the amount of enemies you can encounter.

Well unless the enemy rate is set by number of tiles stepped on, in which case you're just going to be having the same amount of battles but faster.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe there's a patch to help with that stuff. I think BOF2 is a good game, never played Retranslation though.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Doubt it, or else I would have heard the complaints somewhere.

Maybe nobody minds as much as you :P

But it's pretty common for tile-based RPGs to do RNG and other events based on number of steps. Pokémon's egg hatching being a prime example.

Time based would mean you could stand still for 5 mins between battles and get one every tile, which is very unlikely.

Still, give it a go, let us know what it's like.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe there's a patch to help with that stuff. I think BOF2 is a good game, never played Retranslation though.

Nah, I have a disease that compels me to only play games as they were officially produced. I make an exception for translation patches because, well, I have no other choice. But I want all glitches and annoyances there as the original game had. That way I can hate or love the game as it was originally intended.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
So would you be against the patch for 7th Saga which changes the US version to how it was in original Japan release?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's not that I'm against it. It's that I won't play it. Other people can create or play as many patches as they want. I'll stick with my broken original :P

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Okay it's definitely tile based. A value gets written to a memory location after each battle (and at boot) which is how many steps you will take til the next battle triggers. There are instructions to make a patch that increases the max possible value there. So where before it might be between 1 and 10 tiles, now it would be between 1 and 20, say. Want me to make you the patch? Or you okay with the default?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Haha, fair enough. I personally love doing the odd tweak. Fixing the brick bug in Mario 1/Lost Levels in All-Stars, for example.

(I should make it and add it to the QoL Patches thread, though..)

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Which hakchi and what version are you using?
hakchi2 version 1.1.0. Already managed to fix it by rebooting my PC and using one of the USB ports on the back (instead of the front) though.

I've run into another problem: I installed the NES dual-boot module so I can switch to the NES Classic's menu from my SNES mini. Games are working great, but I can't power off the console properly - I just get a C8 error. I'm assuming this happens because I have 31 icons on the NES menu: the 30 NES games + the "Switch back to SNES Classic" button. Is there a way to solve this problem?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Domino089 from RHDN told me that since ID EF10 (in Hakchi) has fixed sound issues before, then we were wondering if some of you might test a few games to see if the ID fixes some of the sound issues. Hopefully this ID (or another yet to be discovered one) becomes the magical ID that fixes sound issues, like 1068 was for games with graphics issues.

If you are not familiar with the sound issues for the following games, then please try them without the ID first so you can identify the problems, and then use the ID and check if the sound is better or fixed. Please use Hakchi directly, do not use SFROM Tool for testing.

Earthworm Jim 2
Weird sounds replace the accordion music in the Nintendo logo. Jim doesn't yell when getting hit.

Micro Machines
Music playback issues: stutters, skips, distorts.

Plok
Annoying clicking noise as part of the music.

Space Megaforce
Bass sound in music 'pops' at high level

Super Pinball Behind the Mask
Audio popping on bass instruments.

Terminator
Audio vanishing during gameplay.

Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits
Most games lack or have garbled audio, though Sinistar is fine.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What's the name of a website that was posted here some weeks ago, it's a new site and had lots of info, guides, mods, about hacking the SNESC. I think they were even releasing a new mod, can't even remember what it was for. But they had programs to automatically migrate from one hakchi to another or something like that.
I swear I bookmarked it, but apparently I didn't.

It's not snesclassicmods.com.

*edit*
Found it. https://hakchiresources.com

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So a bunch of games just got the sound fixed by the Return of the Jedi (and Empire) ID.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A bunch, can't remember all the names, but it's like 5 or something in one go.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I spent this morning doing a bunch of tests on games. Feel free to review over the sheet here ( link ) for any updates.

I never did test Chrono Trigger with the IDs. Maybe after I smash on this pizza.

If the ID fixes the sound issue, please do another test to make sure some other scenes do not get broken.

Save:https://www.sendspace.com/file/npppgt
https://www.sendspace.com/file/npppgt

Load the 3rd save, go to the right stairs, board the epoch, full speed ahead, select 1999 apocalypse, the select Fight.

You'll see a sequence of Lavos shooting fire and a mode 7 map will be shown. Check if that looks ok.
Also, the ship will try to crash into lavos once you select "Fight", the cutscene it shows is an interlaced scene not seen anywhere else on the game. Check if that one looks ok.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I completed a full walkthrough of Battletoads in Battlemaniacs with the new ID and can confirm that the game is now flawless from start to finish! :D

I still find it weird that a game that has "Battle" in its title has only two stages where you actually... battle, and 6 (including the bonus rounds) where the main focus is something else entirely.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Robin64 can you make one of those direct feed videos of yours for Super Aleste / Space Megaforce? Sluffy wants to hear what and where is the problem exactly because all the videos are available are not direct feed and have background noise. If you wouldn't mind, do a video for the following games too so we can have them on file as to what the problem is exactly: Earthworm Jim 2, Plok, Troddlers, Terminator.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I see all this confusion about Panic Bomber W. I'm pretty sure Hakchi just adds the preset ID automatically since it uses SA-1, I dont recall having any problem loading this game when I tested it.

This is similar to the Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension issue. I can't vouch for the tool since I dont use it.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Okay.

Plok: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmtIykxegGM
Troddlers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opQsTG3NhoI
Space Megaforce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKHYz-bsQNY
The Terminator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg__P9mHZMQ
Earthworm Jim 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYH2eMnRIKU

So it seems Plok, Troddlers, and Space Megaforce have the same bug between them. You can hear a click that stands out as part of the music that shouldn't be there. The other two are something else.

Yes, there are lots of other games with this similar issue. Frantic Flea does the same thing - but when I tested it on Higan it seemed like this sound was actually correct, but Higan does a better job muting it. Canoe is just like TURN THAT TO 11 BRUH and blows your speakers

Sluffy talked about it in a post when discussing Frantic Flea.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That pizza was so good that you forgot to do the Chrono Trigger test?

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
Here's the thing I haven't noticed any sound glitches since i changed Chrono Trigger's ID to 110B, which is as far as I've figured out is the correct ID for the US Chrono Trigger.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing I haven't noticed any sound glitches since i changed Chrono Trigger's ID to 110B, which is as far as I've figured out is the correct ID for the US Chrono Trigger.

According to DarkAkuma's preset ID list
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PbIPVA4NpFEXs1zk249aR3FSuBTY3r-ajpTq3dP3GnQ

Chrono Trigger should be using 110C for the US version.

EDIT: Nevermind. An orange box on his sheet means guess work so Chrono Trigger very well could be 110B

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well his list does have a note for Chrono Trigger that says the ID could be one less than what he has there, so it's possible Chrono's real ID is 110B and not 110C.
And for Megaman X Pal ID 110B, it does say he can't get it to work, so the ID could be completely wrong.

And if Bosco said the 110B ID fixed the sound issues, then that's probably Chrono's real ID.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Is there a way to use cheats on these games yet? I assume theres someway via the retroarch emulator? Is there a tutorial i can follow somewhere?

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
Going by VC releases, there was only Megaman X US and Rockman X JP, then 4 Chrono Trigger releases NTSC-U, NTSC-J, PAL-E, and PAL-I so there should only be 2 Megaman/Rockman X ID's, and Chrono Trigger should have 3 ID's

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Having just tried it, I agree, 110B gives much better sound in Chrono Trigger. That must be its real PID.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Keep in mind if you change your Chrono Trigger to 110B from 110C, the save state might not function any more. Be sure to have a battery save first.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Even if it does, you'd just be loading all the problems and issues too.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
^ You mean assuming someone already has the save state? If its a fresh run theres no problem ?