• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You dont need to the Hakchi games folder is not the Hakchi folder for your games ,your games are saved in another folder. Wen you use Linked Export the folder is nothing more than a bunch off shortcuts to your games.

In other words I don't lose the games (or more importantly the progress) each time I do this. Thanks for the clarification.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen anyone report issues with the Seiken Densetsu 3 March 31st patch that fixed the "wind corridor" issue.
Started a new play-through and noticed that while it did indeed fix the wind effects and gamma on the text boxes, after a while all text boxes would become dark and eventually screen would go completely black.

Did some testing on the Japanese version with just the patch and ID 1016 to see what was triggering it and it looks like after a certain threshold of text box popups it will trigger and if you keep opening dialogue boxes the screen will go completely black.

Easiest way to trigger it is just speak to an NPC in a town for like 20-30 times continuously and it will eventually happen.

Didn't seem to happen on emulators and it looks like the previous patch did not have this issue.

Couple of screenshots after the issue has been triggered:
https://imgur.com/a/mULAU

There is an updated patch in the RHDN thread if you'd like to test it out.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't seen anyone report issues with the Seiken Densetsu 3 March 31st patch that fixed the "wind corridor" issue.
Started a new play-through and noticed that while it did indeed fix the wind effects and gamma on the text boxes, after a while all text boxes would become dark and eventually screen would go completely black.

Did some testing on the Japanese version with just the patch and ID 1016 to see what was triggering it and it looks like after a certain threshold of text box popups it will trigger and if you keep opening dialogue boxes the screen will go completely black.

Easiest way to trigger it is just speak to an NPC in a town for like 20-30 times continuously and it will eventually happen.

Didn't seem to happen on emulators and it looks like the previous patch did not have this issue.

Couple of screenshots after the issue has been triggered:
https://imgur.com/a/mULAU

ribm

New patch test.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/fvcsv7

Apply patch to a CLEAN game. Do NOT use SFROM Tool or else you will automatically apply an older patch and break everything. Use ID 1610 on hakchi to enable hi-res.

You might want to export your saves with hakchi so you can import them to the new patched game. It's best if you test the bug starting a new game, but if you want to use your previous save, make sure you use the normal battery save as you would on a real SNES, and do not use a save state (suspend save) since loading a save state, will also load the previous bugs.

ribm

Oct 27, 2017
There is an updated patch in the RHDN thread if you'd like to test it out.
ribm

New patch test.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/fvcsv7

Apply patch to a CLEAN game. Do NOT use SFROM Tool or else you will automatically apply an older patch and break everything. Use ID 1610 on hakchi to enable hi-res.

You might want to export your saves with hakchi so you can import them to the new patched game. It's best if you test the bug starting a new game, but if you want to use your previous save, make sure you use the normal battery save as you would on a real SNES, and do not use a save state (suspend save) since loading a save state, will also load the previous bugs.

Clean JPN game - Lunar ips patched.
No saves, new game - after 1st dialogue box shows up with no issue with correct gamma, from 2nd dialogue box onwards all textbox have the incorrect gamma again.

Afterwards imported battery save just to test and had same issue, after 1st dialogue with any NPC shows up without issue, all textbox from then on have the incorrect gamma.
However the previous issue after repeatedly talking to NPC does not show up in this patch.

2nd dialogue on new game:
https://imgur.com/a/XF4Gb

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tried running G.O.D. with the 1016 preset, but the text is still blurry. Is it done through the usual way (CTRL+ALT+E)?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
ribm

I can't seem to replicate your issue. I am using sd3_6.ips (the wind corridor patch - current is sd3_6a.ips with the random gamma issue) and I am using Hawk's intro. After I get control, I talk to the guard outside 30 times (he says "No problems!") but my screen is not changing.

What did you do to get this to happen so I can try and replicate?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sigh... I wish I could test stuff on my own.

ribm , did you patch the game yourself and ONLY used Hakchi to add the game? Because if you used SFROM Tool to make the rom first, then it automatically patched the game with a probably older patch which caused conflicts with the new patch. Please verify info because demi is not getting that weird dark and darker glitch you initially reported.

Here's the original patch that is supposed to be perfect: https://www.sendspace.com/file/eiqala

Try it again on a clean JPN game, do not use SFROM Tool. You can add the ID if you want (1610 in Hakchi) and test that NPC glitch of the screen getting dark and darker.

*edit*
Forget it, another user did a test and got the same same results as you. So it wasn't a fluke.

Last edited:

ribm

Oct 27, 2017
ribm

I can't seem to replicate your issue. I am using sd3_6.ips (the wind corridor patch - current is sd3_6a.ips with the random gamma issue) and I am using Hawk's intro. After I get control, I talk to the guard outside 30 times (he says "No problems!") but my screen is not changing.

What did you do to get this to happen so I can try and replicate?
with the sd3_6.ips patch, you can try loading my save - 3rd slot and go outside and speak with any NPC multiple times (over 30 plus times when I just tested again for it to trigger, so find an NPC with a short text box)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/jsjo34

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
with the sd3_6.ips patch, you can try loading my save - 3rd slot and go outside and speak with any NPC multiple times (over 30 plus times when I just tested again for it to trigger, so find an NPC with a short text box)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/jsjo34

Ok new patch
https://www.sendspace.com/file/w2t9uu

Please do not use SFROM Tool to test. Just patch the game with Lunar and add it directly to hakchi. Add the ID if you want. Do not load a save state, but you can load the battery save if you want.
Check for the NPC issue, the gamma issue, and check the wind corridor if you know how to get there.

ribm

Oct 27, 2017
Ok new patch
https://www.sendspace.com/file/w2t9uu

Please do not use SFROM Tool to test. Just patch the game with Lunar and add it directly to hakchi. Add the ID if you want. Do not load a save state, but you can load the battery save if you want.
Check for the NPC issue, the gamma issue, and check the wind corridor if you know how to get there.

sd3_6c patch tested:
Gamma: no issues after several dialogue boxes
Dialogue box dimming/black screen issue: no issues after testing over speaking with an NPC over 30+ times
Wind corridor: no issue https://imgur.com/a/zKVuZ

Going to actually play a full play-through of the game using this patch as that was my original intent when I first noticed the sd3_6.ips issue and will update if any other issues come up.
Gotta say, didn't expect when I start playing that I would be installing four diifferent patched versions of the game and talking to the same NPC over 300+ times for testing.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hahahahaha. Well, everyone appreciates the help and that way sluffy can fix the game 100%.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Well the patch was just to fix the "gamma" that the Preset ID causes. You could just disregard the patch and start there if the color didnt bother you. The game still has other issues beyond that (someone reported an issue with the Ghost Ship boss)

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well the patch was just to fix the "gamma" that the Preset ID causes. You could just disregard the patch and start there if the color didnt bother you. The game still has other issues beyond that (someone reported an issue with the Ghost Ship boss)

Yes, but someone else then said he saw no issue there. Hopefully ribm gets there and reports any problems.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Robin64 I remember you once reported issues with both Battletoads games. Well the issue in Battlemaniacs has been fixed with ID 1068. Try that same ID in the other game to see if the gameover message is fixed.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
I tell you what, as "wrong" as reversed PIDs might be, going with a different order in SFROM tool is probably the worst thing to happen with regards to this ongoing effort. It really has cause more confusion than it should have done.

Anyway, maybe we can mitigate the effects with a new way of writing PIDS.

e.g.
H1016
S1610

?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think its confusing at all. I think it should be more unified, but not confusing

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Robin64 I remember you once reported issues with both Battletoads games. Well the issue in Battlemaniacs has been fixed with ID 1068. Try that same ID in the other game to see if the gameover message is fixed.

I'm gonna have to patch in an infinite lives code, I suck at Battlemaniacs.

Luckily sucking at Battletoads and Double Dragon is exactly what you need in this case.

Edit: Made a patch. You start with 255 lives, which is probably enough. http://www.robin64.co.uk/files/Battlemaniacs255.ips

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I could do it, I'm at work though. I did all the Battletoads achievements on Rare Replay (it was the NES version but)

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Was just having a peruse through hakchi's source code and found the section that tells you when a game is a problem game. Thought it was interesting, as I think most of these are covered now right?

Code:
static List<string> problemGames = new List<string>()
        {
            { "ActRaiser-2 USA" }, // ActRaiser 2 (U) [!].smc
            { "ALIEN vs. PREDATOR" }, // Alien vs. Predator (U).smc
            { "ASTERIX" }, // Asterix (E) [!].smc
            { "BATMAN--REVENGE JOKER" }, // Batman - Revenge of the Joker (U).smc
            { "???????S???????????" }, // Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S - Jougai Rantou! Shuyaku Soudatsusen (J).smc
            { "CHAMPIONSHIP POOL" }, // Championship Pool (U).smc
            { "ClayFighter 2" }, // Clay Fighter 2 - Judgment Clay (U) [!].smc
            { "CLOCK TOWER SFX" }, // Clock Tower (J).smc
            { "COOL WORLD" }, // Cool World (U) [!].smc
            { "CRYSTAL BEANS" }, // Crystal Beans From Dungeon Explorer (J).smc
            { "CYBER KNIGHT 2" }, // Cyber Knight II - Chikyuu Teikoku no Yabou (J).smc
            { "ASCII DARK LAW" }, // Dark Law - Meaning of Death (J).smc
            { "DIRT TRAX FX" }, // Dirt Trax FX (U) [!].smc
            { "DBZ HYPER DIMENSION" }, // Dragon Ball Z - Hyper Dimension (F).smc
            { "DRAGON BALL Z HD" }, // Dragon Ball Z - Hyper Dimension (J) [!].smc
            { "DRAGONBALL Z 2" }, // Dragon Ball Z - La Legende Saien (F).smc
            { "SFX DRAGONBALLZ2" }, // Dragon Ball Z - Super Butouden (F).smc
            { "SFX SUPERBUTOUDEN2" }, // Dragon Ball Z - Super Butouden 2 (J) (V1.0).smc
            { "DUNGEON MASTER" }, // Dungeon Master (U).smc
            { "EARTHWORM JIM 2" }, // Earthworm Jim 2 (U) [!].smc
            { "F1 WORLD CHAMP EDTION" }, // F1 World Championship Edition (E).smc
            { "FACEBALL 2000" }, // Faceball 2000 (U) [!].smc
            { "THE FIREMEN     PAL" }, // Firemen, The (E).smc
            { "HAMMERIN' HARRY (JPN)" }, // Ganbare Daiku no Gensan (J) [!].smc
            { "HARMELUNNOBAIOLINHIKI" }, // Hamelin no Violin Hiki (J).smc
            { "HOME ALONE" }, // Home Alone (U).smc
            { "HUMAN GRANDPRIX" }, // Human Grand Prix (J).smc
            { "HUMAN GRANDPRIX 3" }, // Human Grand Prix III - F1 Triple Battle (J).smc
            { "ILLUSION OF GAIA USA" }, // Illusion of Gaia (U) [!].smc
            { "ILLUSION OF TIME ENG" }, // Illusion of Time (E) [!].smc
            { "JumpinDerby" }, // Jumpin' Derby (J).smc
            { "KRUSTYS SUPERFUNHOUSE" }, // Krusty's Super Fun House (U) (V1.1).smc
            { "Mario's Time Machine" }, // Mario's Time Machine (U) [!].smc
            { "MARKOS MAGIC FOOTBALL" }, // Marko's Magic Football (E).smc
            { "POWER RANGERS FIGHT" }, // Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - The Fighting Edition (U).smc
            { "MOMOTETSU HAPPY" }, // Momotarou Dentetsu Happy (J) [!].smc
            { "NHL HOCKEY 1998" }, // NHL '98 (U).smc
            { "RENDERING RANGER R2" }, // Rendering Ranger R2 (J).smc
            { "ROBOTREK 1 USA" }, // Robotrek (U) [!].smc
            { "ROCK N' ROLL RACING" }, // Rock N' Roll Racing (U) [!].smc
            { "ROMANCING SAGA3" }, // Romancing SaGa 3 (J) (V1.1).smc
            { "SD??????GX" }, // SD Gundam GX (J) [!].smc
            { "SECRET OF EVERMORE" }, // Secret of Evermore (U) [!].smc
            //{ "Secret of MANA" }, // Secret of Mana (U) [!].smc
            { "SIM CITY 2000" }, // Sim City 2000 (U).smc
            { "SMASH TENNIS" }, // Smash Tennis (E) [!].smc
            { "Star Ocean" }, // Star Ocean (J) [!].smc
            { "STREET FIGHTER ALPHA2" }, // Street Fighter Alpha 2 (U) [!].smc
            { "SUPER BASES LOADED 2" }, // Super Bases Loaded 2 (U).smc
            { "PANIC BOMBER WORLD" }, // Super Bomberman - Panic Bomber W (J).smc
            { "TALES OF PHANTASIA" }, // Tales of Phantasia (J) [!].smc
            { "TERRANIGMA P" }, // Terranigma (E) [!].smc
            { "TOP GEAR 3000" }, // Top Gear 3000 (U) [!].smc
            { "UNIRACERS" }, // Uniracers (U) [!].smc
            { "WARIO'S WOODS" }, // Wario's Woods (U) [!].smc
            { "WORLD CLASS RUGBY" }, // World Class Rugby (E) [!].smc
            { "WORLD CUP STRIKER" }, // World Cup Striker (E) (M3) [!].smc
            { "WORLD MASTERS GOLF" }, // World Masters Golf (E).smc
            { "WWF SUPER WRESTLEMANI" }, // WWF Super WrestleMania (U) [!].smc
            { "WRESTLEMANIA" }, // WWF WrestleMania - The Arcade Game (U) [!].smc
            { "SENSIBLE SOCCER" }, // Sensible Soccer - International Edition (E).smc
        };

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
1068 fixes both Battletoads and Battletoads Double Dragon confirmed.

Battletoads has beautiful shadows on everything in that level, snakes includeds.
Battletoads Double Dragon showed no corrupt graphics in the scrolling text on game over.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if ID 1068 fixes Eye of the Beholder's enemies? And Lemmings flickering?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Well 1068 is the official BOF2 PID so I would hope so. What's wrong with Retranslation? It was reported working?

Thora-G

Oct 27, 2017
Some Graphic problem the first is right at the start as a Kid, in the Forest where you search for your sister . It is way to dark and the shadows of the clouds are not there .

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, I guess I will test out some BOF2 this weekend and see what's up thanks for the report

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This part:

jnPl9xQ.png

? Looks fine to me. Pretty sure I used the Preset ID when I added it to the SNES Mini a while ago.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Probably added the ID the wrong way depending on the tools used.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Just got there myself in both the original and the retranslation, yeah, it's fine.

Gotta say, while we're on it, that patch is pretty impressive. The title screen goes from boring to having a full song, the font becomes much nicer, backgrounds have artwork, text boxes have a new transparency feature..

Edit: Fine with 0000 too, so.. /shrug

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Got my SNES mini today - I've been trying to flash the custom kernel onto it, but during the final part of the process, the light always turns off, seemingly disconnecting from my PC. When I then try to play the thing, it boots straight into the "Shutting down" screen, turning off a few seconds after. Now, I can flash the original kernel back onto the console and play it fine that way, but I can't seem to find a way to get more games on this thing. Can anyone help me out? Already tried turning off selective USB suspend in Windows 10 and running the program as administrator, neither of which made a difference.

Thora-G

Oct 27, 2017
yes testet it and it works with the Id in both the Original German Retranslation and the Later English Retranslation but in the German Retranslation is a weird bug on the World Map, the top and Bottem wobbles a bit

Just got there myself in both the original and the retranslation, yeah, it's fine.

Gotta say, while we're on it, that patch is pretty impressive. The title screen goes from boring to having a full song, the font becomes much nicer, backgrounds have artwork, text boxes have a new transparency feature..

I was sure there was something wrong with it maybe i used a wrong id and messed things up :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It's cool, man. We're here to figure things out. I'd rather people make a report even if they messed up than say nothing at all, I'm sure everyone here feels the same.

And you might not have messed up. There could be something else going on.

demi

Oct 27, 2017

Yes the Retranslation is probably the best way to play this game. GBA version was great only for the run feature (not sure Retranslation has this) but this basically makes BOF2 a brand new expeerience.

demi

Oct 27, 2017

It sounds confusing when I say something like "1068 / 6810" but I make the instructions pretty clear on the compatibility sheet on how the numbers work.
I don't use SFROM tool, and go with the assumption that people do it manually, while directing people to the tool and relevant info for those that do.

You can lead a horse to water etc....

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
GBA version was great only for the run feature (not sure Retranslation has this) but this basically makes BOF2 a brand new expeerience.

Oh? Didn't know that. I wanted to like SNES BoF2 so much, but I hated it. Too slow and the enemy encounter was criminal. I ended up selling the game and buying Castlevania Dracula X, and I didn't regret it one bit.

Did they fix the enemy encounter rate in the GBA version?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. No encounter rate change. Too bad. But I guess running helps in getting faster to places, which I guess reduces the amount of enemies you can encounter.