• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Thanks ReyVGM and gingerbeardman. I really appreciate the help. I will give it another whirl tonight.

I've noticed that whenever I install modules I get a USB disconnect sound immediately followed up with a Done prompt and then shortly after I get a USB connect sound. Is this expected behaviour? Looking at the Hackchi2 CE debug screen it seems like the disconnect occurs once the module has been installed and when the browsing the SNES Mini using WinSCP the modules seem to be transferred. I would love to know if any of you experience this?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A brand new translation release has gone up, for G.O.D - Mezame yo to Yobu Koe ga Kikoe, which the author describes as "one of the last great SNES RPGs left untranslated". And yep, it works fine in Canoe. Except.. hi-res text! So of course, you need to preset ID 1016. But honestly, I don't think the increase in gamma here makes it look that bad. It's an obvious difference when seen together like this, but by itself, the Canoe one isn't blinding or anything (like, say Rudra). Still, if sluffy does have time... :)

Canoe:
nqRYDg9.png

Snes9x:
zFgvrtz.png

That looks neat. I love undiscovered gems like this, which is what drew me to Rudra: it's like this feeling of discovering lost SNES games, as if from an alternate timeline or something. Just when I think we've exhausted all the titles released for the platform, there's probably so many more that still haven't been touched.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I dont use USB but that seems normal in my case when I sync games, it reboots the Classic, so it disconnects then reconnects.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
That looks neat. I love undiscovered gems like this, which is what drew me to Rudra: it's like this feeling of discovering lost SNES games, as if from an alternate timeline or something. Just when I think we've exhausted all the titles released for the platform, there's probably so many more that still haven't been touched.

There's a lot more that still havent been touched, SNES will never die baby

off the top of my head:

Albert Odyssey 1 & 2
Traverse: Starlight & Prarie
Lady Stalker
Last Bible 3 (I expect this to be released next, I've been monitoring updates)
Little Master

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I really hate it when games do that. When you see that, the real "title screen" is usually presented during the intro. Check it out here: https://youtu.be/2Znvefvva6I?t=54

Better. Cheers dudes.

Yeah, it annoys me too.

Resized, squared, transparent cornered, for anyone that wants it.

YG0H7jE.png

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Boxart for Violinist of Hameln I made (forgot to upload in prev post)

Currently has issues unfortunately

HW1gHnV.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry to jump in on this thread late, but I just got around to hacking my SNES Classic this weekend.

My main impression is how much I enjoy Canoe's flexibility when compared to any other Nintendo emulator made. Having random Super FX games like Stunt Race FX run perfectly on a Nintendo emulator is just incredible. It makes me want a N64 Classic so badly.

My next move is I bought some cheap NES and SNES Classic knock off controllers and I want to see if I can fit their circuit boards in an OG controller shell for a more authentic experience (especially for NES games).

Two questions I have:

-My favorite filter so far is 4:3 with —smooth43 to add bilinear filtering. It stops the pixels from being so sharp you can cut yourself on them and it displays at the ratio I am used to. Is there any downside to this filter I don't know about? Because it seems like a magic hidden option to me.

-I have mine setup to dual boot into NES Classic mode and I noticed the NES CRT mode has this distortion above and beyond the SNES Classic and it's pretty cool. Can we fiddle with the blur or scan line settings in a way to get closer to that?

Thank you!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My next move is I bought some cheap NES and SNES Classic knock off controllers and I want to see if I can fit their circuit boards in an OG controller shell for a more authentic experience (especially for NES games).

!

What's not authentic about about the NES/SNES Classic controllers?

Oct 28, 2017
What's not authentic about about the NES/SNES Classic controllers?

Just that they aren't used and worn like my old ones are. The battle damage of my older controllers is part of the nostalgia, they were earned so to speak.

I moved all the SNES and NES games I owned as a kid that I ripped to roms in college to it so going forward this thing is basically my one stop nostalgia box. It only makes sense to convert over my older controllers too, as my old actual SNES broke and I don't see me going back to that old hardware in the future.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Opening brand new SNES controllers again, as an adult, was bliss. My old worn ones can stay in the cupboard where they belong. :)

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate the new controllers for sure, and that is what I will play on outside of nostalgia going forward.

But I know one day I will want to play a SNES game with the now deceased family pet's bite marks on it just like when I was a kid and now I can:

207n5ac.jpg

Everything works after sacrificing a pretty terrible SNES Classic controller Frys has on sale this week. That circuit board fit almost perfectly minus a plastic shim I had to add for support on the L button.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Robin64

So I heard you are building a doc for NES Classic compatibility? And are planning on fixing problem games? How's that going?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sluffy fixed all the Sufami Turbo games.
However, there are a bunch of games that have link up features if you play with two games inside the cart slot at the same time. On SNES9X or Higan this is easy because there's a way to load multicart games, but on the SNESC that's not an option. However, you don't need to actually have two games linked up, you just need the sram from one game injected into the other.

The only (untested) solution is to load any of the games so they create a save file (sram). Then with hakchi, export the save from one game (let's call it game A) and, and then import that save into another game (game B). Then, if done right, load game B and it should be "linked" with game A. If someone tests this and it works, then it would be good if hakchi or SFROM Tool adds an option specifically for Sufami Turbo games to start the game vanilla, or "linked" with their respective games. The tools can even include the sram (or patch? DarkAkuma ) already in their files so people don't have to create or have one in the first place.
There's really no reason to ever be "unlinked" since being linked gives you more characters and stages.

Here are all the linkable Sufami Turbo games:

• Poi Poi Ninja (links to another Poi Poi Ninja)
  • SD Gundam: Generations part 1 (links to any other SD Gundam game)
  • SD Gundam: Generations part 2 (links to any other SD Gundam game)
  • SD Gundam: Generations part 3 (links to any other SD Gundam game)
  • SD Gundam: Generations part 4 (links to any other SD Gundam game)
  • SD Gundam: Generations part 5 (links to any other SD Gundam game)
  • SD Gundam: Generations part 6 (links to any other SD Gundam game)
  • SD Ultra Battle: Ultraman Legend (links to Seven Legend)
  • SD Ultra Battle: Seven Legend (links to Ultraman Legend)
The only way to make that work for Poi Poi (since it links to itself) is to just import an already linked-up save created on an emulator because even if you do manage to inject two Poi Poi games on the SNESC, the sram created will be identical and it wouldn't recognize it as a link-up save. Me thinks.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Robin64

Can you make a patch to see if the Super Game Boy and/or Super Game Boy 2 boots in the SNESC?

PAR codes. Without these, the SGB doesn't load as a regular rom in emulators, so I assume it must be the same in the SNESC.

SGB 1
00BE4300
00B8C101
00B11400
00B0AA13
00B0ABAF

SGB 2
00BE4300
00B8C101
00B11400
00B0FF05

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Very interesting. Without those codes, the SGBs boot in snes9x, but just the border. Nothing else happens. With the codes (written to the ROM) they get further. The Super Game Boy splash activates, then it gives the No Cart symbol in SGB1 and just sits on a blank screen in SGB2.

SGB1 Patch: http://www.robin64.co.uk/files/SGB1.ips
SGB2 Patch: http://www.robin64.co.uk/files/SGB2.ips

Sadly I've just started a day of work, so if someone could test those that would be ace. But certainly they make a difference in snes9x, so we know the patches took.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I finally got everything working just the way I wanted... Except for one thing.

Most of the games that were having trouble I fixed by either compressing or decompressing them. The remaining few I fixed by just deleting them and re-adding them. There's one I just can't get to work however, which worked when I tested it on my PC. Mickey to Donald: Magical Adventure 3.

The original Japanese version works, but with patch it does not, compressed, uncompressed. Had anyone had luck getting this to work? I'd like it in English because it's mainly my kid who wants to play it. But every time I patch it it just doesn't work anymore. My only theory is it has to do with the splash screen at the start of the hack giving credit to the translators

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never considered the possibility of GB games working on Canoe via the Super Game Boy. Hope that's something obtainable in the future.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I never considered the possibility of GB games working on Canoe via the Super Game Boy. Hope that's something obtainable in the future.

Nah, even if the Super Game Boy BIOS boots, without the hardware to talk to the GB games simply won't run. I think getting the SGB booting is more a curiosity than anything.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The original Japanese version works, but with patch it does not, compressed, uncompressed. Had anyone had luck getting this to work? I'd like it in English because it's mainly my kid who wants to play it. But every time I patch it it just doesn't work anymore. My only theory is it has to do with the splash screen at the start of the hack giving credit to the translators

This one? The patch requires a headered ROM. Use "Easy ipsbehead" (from here) to alter the patch.

Or use TUSH to add a header to the ROM, apply the patch, then use TUSH to remove the header again.

Either way is fine.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
The one I got was actually prepatched, but I'll try patching it myself
Well, Robin64 after I applied the patch myself rather than using a pre-patched version it all finally worked! Now I have everything I want running with switch style icing, snazzy folders and everything! Thanks!

I figured out another thing I wasn't sure of before. I had asked how many to have in a folder so it smoothly wraps around, the answer is 10-12. With 10 it will loop back around, though the cursor kind of weirdly jumps. With 12 is when everything is perfectly smooth. Of course you can have more than 12 if you want, and everybody knows 30 is when you break thumbnails.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Very interesting. Without those codes, the SGBs boot in snes9x, but just the border. Nothing else happens. With the codes (written to the ROM) they get further. The Super Game Boy splash activates, then it gives the No Cart symbol in SGB1 and just sits on a blank screen in SGB2.

SGB1 Patch: http://www.robin64.co.uk/files/SGB1.ips
SGB2 Patch: http://www.robin64.co.uk/files/SGB2.ips

Sadly I've just started a day of work, so if someone could test those that would be ace. But certainly they make a difference in snes9x, so we know the patches took.

Thanks for the patches.

Actually, you can interact with the SGB exactly like you would on the real thing without a cartridge in. Press L+R to enter the SGB menu.

Nah, even if the Super Game Boy BIOS boots, without the hardware to talk to the GB games simply won't run. I think getting the SGB booting is more a curiosity than anything.

I don't know... I mean, the GB hardware is already in the SGB, and if the SNESC can run it? Maybe? All there would be needed is a way to "combine" a GB game with the SGB?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I don't know... I mean, the GB hardware is already in the SGB, and if the SNESC can run it? Maybe? All there would be needed is a way to "combine" a GB game with the SGB?

But the software dumped doesn't (and can't) contain any of the hardware's function. The ROM we have just interacts as an I/O bridge to the hardware in the SGB. Or consider that if it was just the ROM that ran the GB games, Nintendo wouldn't have needed to put the GB hardware in the SGB at all.

Edit: Huh, sadly these patches don't work on the SNES Mini anyway. They don't C7, but they just sit at a black screen.

Edit2: I have no idea what I've done to my SNES Mini, but everything is stuttery now, even the frontend music. It's like it's running too slow. Rebooting hasn't helped. Welp, back to factory settings I guess!

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
But BSNES uses the SGB to boot GB Games with the multiboot option, couldn't that be possible here too if there was a way to combine the games?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The reason it works in BSNES is because it includes emulation of SGB hardware. That's what we're missing here, unless you go over to Retroarch.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just like there are mods that make the SNES do things it's not supposed to do, can't someone create a mod that allows the SNESC to "emulate" the SGB?

Also, emus already emulate the SGB, you just couldn't run it. With those cheats you can run and pay with the SGB, you just can't load any GB games. But the SGB works perfectly, even on ZSNES. So it should also work with the SNESC.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just like there are mods that make the SNES do things it's not supposed to do, can't someone create a mod that allows the SNESC to "emulate" the SGB?

Also, emus already emulate the SGB, you just couldn't run it. With those cheats you can run and pay with the SGB, you just can't load any GB games. But the SGB works perfectly, even on ZSNES. So it should also work with the SNESC.

Yes, but in Retroarch only. It'll never run in Canoe because it doesn't support GB hardware emulation.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
But that's the part that confuses me, the SGB isn't merely an adapter, it actually has the GB hardware inside, and the actual SNES hardware was never made or updated to work with the SGB. Everything that's needed to make the connection between the SNES and a GB game is housed inside the SGB.
So, if the SNESC loads the SGB, shouldn't be hypothetically possible that it can also run a GB if there was a way to multiboot?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
But we're not loading the entire SGB, we're loading the SNES ROM portion of it which was used to communicate with the GB hardware in the cart. So here, we have nothing to communicate with, but the SNES ROM part will carry on regardless.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
But that's the part that confuses me, the SGB isn't merely an adapter, it actually has the GB hardware inside, and the actual SNES hardware was never made or updated to work with the SGB. Everything that's needed to make the connection between the SNES and a GB game is housed inside the SGB.
So, if the SNESC loads the SGB, shouldn't be hypothetically possible that it can also run a GB if there was a way to multiboot?

If Canoe doesn't know how to emulate a GB or to handle a multi-boot, there's nothing you can do about it. Someone would near to tear Canoe to pieces and implement GB emulation or that multi-boot bridge. It's not gonna happen.

Edit: Imagine for a second that Canoe didn't support super FX emulation. Even if you threw the Star Fox rom at it and it booted somehow, you still wouldn't get the 3D graphics because the FX chip isn't emulated. There's no amount of hacking the Star Fox rom that could get that to work. Same with SGB and its "GB chip".

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I thought there mere loading of the SGB meant it was also "recognizing" the GB part too.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
You can put the SGB boot ROM on a flash cart and it will run on hardware. That's how little check there is that the GB hardware is present. I guess Nintendo never felt the need to add such a check as there wouldn't be a legitimate case where this happened.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If Canoe doesn't know how to emulate a GB or to handle a multi-boot, there's nothing you can do about it. Someone would near to tear Canoe to pieces and implement GB emulation or that multi-boot bridge. It's not gonna happen.

Edit: Imagine for a second that Canoe didn't support super FX emulation. Even if you threw the Star Fox rom at it and it booted somehow, you still wouldn't get the 3D graphics because the FX chip isn't emulated. There's no amount of hacking the Star Fox rom that could get that to work. Same with SGB and its "GB chip".

Ok so in this case the GB Hardware would be a "special chip" then. Ok I think I get it now.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Retroarch doesn't emulate the Super Game Boy, which is what we're talking about here.