• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Mountain out of a molehill. I notice the slight distortion but.... yeah, non-issue, can we fix games with actual issues please : )

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So I've made two videos. One is Chrono Trigger with SPC audio and one is Chrono Trigger with PCM audio. (If done correctly, the .sfrom sizes should be 4.00mb for the SPC one and 4.68mb for the PCM one)

Will admit, I struggle to even see the base problem. I think there's a tiny clip on the first menu open after I go into Tata's House in the first one? And then the third menu open there seems to make the pitch change a little? And then, to be honest, I can't hear any difference with the PCM version.

In the first clip it's very audible when you open the menu in the forest near the end. The pitch bends quite a lot.

In the second clip it happens in one of the houses, and again in the forest.

It's the exact same thing that happens in Super Mario RPG as well.

There's also quite an abundance of tiny pops/skips here and there. Hard to say if this is the result of your capture or YouTube or my PC though. Could be my PC not keeping up with the 60fps video.

I know complaining about this will probably sound like nitpicking to many of you, but to anyone with musical ears, it's like someone grating against a chalkboard every time it happens. :(

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Tradeoff of using Canoe brother

Use Retroarch for that 30fps cinematic feel, or Canoe for that 60fps smooth experience

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm backing the side of Canoe just has issues with some audio. It does the same thing on some instruments. You either get a grating BZZZT (Choujikuu Yousai Macross - Scrambled Valkyrie) or a noticable pop on some bass instruments (Plok, Space Megaforce, etc.).

There might be a preset that helps. I know EF10 does wonders on some games (Evermore, Brainies... etc)

demi

Oct 27, 2017
If someone could just fix the damn input lag, I'd switch to Retroarch and never look back. Canoe's shortcomings are starting to be annoying.

What shortcomings exactly? For what it's accomplished, Canoe is actually a really good emulator. It's not Higan level accurate and it never will be. It runs at least 80-90% of your favorite games without issue (maybe 70% if not using patches or presets lul).

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Whatever, I've fixed it. Now it sounds beautiful!

U5dqr8FDimK6JRx752kogn8SZFDAJF9

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Well all those games boot with the patches and offer varying levels of translation. Are they not supposed to work normally? Not familiar with any of them.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
There's no reported issues with some, but these games dont have "official" translations on RHDN and I came across them. Just curious what degree of translation they provide. I think they're mostly menu patches.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Ah right, cool. Yeah, most are just menu translation, but the Ebisumaru puzzler seems to be a full translation as far as I can see. It seems like it would be an excellent game, too, except it's isometric and pressing "up" on the d-pad goes "up-left" rather than "up-right" of most isometric games. Hard to get used to!

Albert Odyssey seems like a full translation too, didn't see any Japanese in my time with it.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, if you think any of them are playable I will probably include it as a note on the sheet for anyone interested.

When I played Ebisumaru during testing I thought it would seem like a neat puzzle game (Pipe Dream is the best comparison I think)

trinitron

Oct 28, 2017
Tetris Battle Gaiden is a pretty good Tetris iteration that focuses on to no surprise, battling others. I know Giant Bomb highlighted the game and somewhat more popular.

I have the game on my SNESC so maybe I'll use the patch linked. Thanks~

Oct 25, 2017
So I've made two videos. One is Chrono Trigger with SPC audio and one is Chrono Trigger with PCM audio. (If done correctly, the .sfrom sizes should be 4.00mb for the SPC one and 4.68mb for the PCM one)

Will admit, I struggle to even see the base problem. I think there's a tiny clip on the first menu open after I go into Tata's House in the first one? And then the third menu open there seems to make the pitch change a little? And then, to be honest, I can't hear any difference with the PCM version.
First of all, thanks for your efforts Robin. :) Currently visiting my parents so I'm not really able to apply any changes to my SNES Mini. To clarify, I had the official Preset ID applied since I had SFROM Tool installed when I added Chrono Trigger via hackchi.

Anyway, in your both your videos you can hear the pitch issue pretty clearly around 0:43. Doesn't seem to happen if you transition areas, I only hear it when I open a menu screen (sometimes the tiny clip). It is indeed a very minor issue indeed but I really wonder if this was present in the VC version on the Wii. Sorry, I'm just the kind of guy who notices such small quirks rather quickly. Didn't notice any specific differences between your two videos though so PCM audio does not appear to change anything at all.

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, thanks for your efforts Robin. :) Currently visiting my parents so I'm not really able to apply any changes to my SNES Mini. To clarify, I had the official Preset ID applied since I had SFROM Tool installed when I added Chrono Trigger via hackchi.

Anyway, in your both your videos you can hear the pitch issue pretty clearly around 0:43. Doesn't seem to happen if you transition areas, I only hear it when I open a menu screen (sometimes the tiny clip). It is indeed a very minor issue indeed but I really wonder if this was present in the VC version on the Wii. Sorry, I'm just the kind of guy who notices such small quirks rather quickly. Didn't notice any specific differences between your two videos though so PCM audio does not appear to change anything at all.
Yeah, it's there. It's much more noticeable with some tracks compared to others. At the very beginning of the game If you open the world map with select you will hear a noticeable distortion.Like you said it's minor but it would be great if it could be fixed.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

No this was definitely not present in the Wii Virtual Console release of Chrono Trigger (or any other game). I have played it to death and this kind of sound warping never occurred. This is something they broke when porting Canoe to the SNES Mini hardware. I'm pretty sure it occurs because Canoe eats too much processing during those transitions and just can't keep up, in the same way that slowdown also occurs in Seiken Densetsu 3, Marvelous, etc.

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018

The 3rd video is a result of a quick test I compiled. During SFROM Tool development I'd generate bad SFROMs without all PCM patching working, and it suggested something to me that I never got around to testing. If PCM audio was just music, or music and sound effects. The 3rd video answers that question in that it shows a separation of music and sfx.

Anyway, the PCM music, if anything, would probably show a difference if the issue was performance. That certainly fits with the issue happening during a menu screen transition. A little to much going on at the same time. The fact that the PCM music doesn't change it just may mean that the PCM audio playback may not be rendered differently then SPC for that game.

Sadly Robins videos had a border being used. Did you try using the solid black border? Or the -no-lowlatency param? Both have shown to have an effect on games with audio related performance issues.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Turning the border off made no difference here. The only one I've ever seen it have any effect on is Marvelous, which barely runs without -no-lowlatency, so it makes sense squeezing an extra bit ouf of the machine helps there.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ok apparently Uniracers is 100% fixed according to the latest tests.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
SFROM Tool 1.1.1.0 Has Released
  • Advanced window will refresh if you select a new file while its open.
  • Added a menu option to force the database.xml to reimport/recompile.
  • Fixed the database.xml to now check and reimport as needed when the program is run via command line.
  • Fixed detection/compatibility for "Space Football - One on One".
  • Fixed a issue with the patch select popup always defaulting to the first option, no matter which you chose.
  • Added console output messages for the various steps of the patching process, so CE users can better know when and what has happened.
This is great. Thanks DarkAkuma ... could I request a drag and drop feature for ROMs? Perhaps for SFROMs too? It's save time when using the main program.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Ok apparently Uniracers is 100% fixed according to the latest tests.

I tested all recent patches (Pilotwings, Sufami Turbo) and things are a-ok so far. Took a look at Ultimate Fighter again, the black screen still stumps me to give sluffy a starting point.

GideonZhi updated Great Battle 5, which fixed the UI and Logo issues.

For giggles I tested Super Scope games to see what actually loaded. Only a couple gave C8, not that it matters.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully someone finds a way to make those Super Scope games playable with a controller (like Mario Paint) and then it will matter if they C8 or not :P

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Robin64 did you check those translations demi linked before? I notice you can make patches for them, but I couldn't find a way to download the files, do you happen to know?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
There are IPS files included in each folder. I tested them out - they all work. Albert Odyssey literally copies over english letters over the japanese so you get sentences like I FOLLOW YOU, ALBERT

I mean I guess its the closest to an english translation.

The others arent really worth caring about, imo. But I linked a few on the sheet for reference since there isnt any other translation for these games out there.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Feck, completely missed that the ips were there -_-

Thanks.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why don't my GBA games launch? Games goes to black screen for a second then back to Classic menu.

I have the VBA module installed.

Edit:

Okay, i had Game Boy games working with Gambette, install VBA and neither the Game Boy or GBA game work. Delete Gambette. GBA games still don't work. Delete VBA and reinstall Gambette, Game Boy games still don't work.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Both are GB emus, you need to specify on the commandline which one you want the games to load with. If you remove Gamebete and only leave VBA, then re-add the games and the commandline will default to that. At least that's how I remember it being like many months ago.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both are GB emus, you need to specify on the commandline which one you want the games to load with. If you remove Gamebete and only leave VBA, then re-add the games and the commandline will default to that. At least that's how I remember it being like many months ago.
But shouldnt the GB games I added when Gambette was installed launch in Gambette after I uninstalled VBA and reinstalled Gambette?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Don't know exactly. It's possible retroarch changed the default core when you uninstalled one and kept it even after you went back.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You can always load any game with Retroarch, press Start+Select to enter the RA menu. I don't know where it is exactly, but you can manually change what core to use to load what type of game. You can also check there what RA is using to load the GB/GBA games.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can always load any game with Retroarch, press Start+Select to enter the RA menu. I don't know where it is exactly, but you can manually change what core to use to load what type of game. You can also check there what RA is using to load the GB/GBA games.
Ok, I launched a NES game, entered the Retroarch menu, loaded the Gambette core, loaded a GBC game through the Retroarch menu and everything worked like you'd expect it to.

After trying to sift through the Retroarch menu I can't find any menu for setting the default cores. Do I need to do this on my PC through Hakchi?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No, it's there on the menu. Check each option until you find it. You can tell RA which core to use for what type of game, or you can modify the commandline for each game in hakchi too.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Nice work!

edit: all seems to be working fine with patching and loading, but I know you guys did plenty of testing already :-)

Last edited:

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
Amazing! Epic effort! Been lurking about waiting for this to drop! Thank you so much!

Just a reminder , I made this box art a few months back, if anyone wants it ;)

ZeFttQI.png

The US style box art reminds me.

This has been tested with and does work with the English patch. Just select Dejaps patch via SFROM Tools "Add IPS" option.

It has not been tested with any other translations.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
this is great except I have zero idea how to even open SFROM to use it. I tried to extract it with 7zip and its not working.

Walk it through for people who are stupid, like me. I don't use RAR files.

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
I'm surprised anyone here needs a step-by-step at this point. This should be just typical SFROM Tool use by now.
  1. Place the "WUP-JUOJ.cnp" in sfrom tools "patches" folder.
  2. Open SFROM Tool.
  3. Select the Unmodified Star Ocean ROM.
  4. Open the Advanced window.
  5. Click the "Add IPS" button.
  6. Select the Dejap English IPS patch. (I think its called "soe.ips".)
  7. Save/close the Advanced window.
  8. Save as .sfrom.
If you're using CE, the only difference beyond typical use is pressing Ctrl+Alt+E to open the SFROM Tool Advanced window, and doing steps 5-7.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
this is great except I have zero idea how to even open SFROM to use it. I tried to extract it with 7zip and its not working.

Walk it through for people who are stupid, like me. I don't use RAR files.

7zip opens all files.

Congrats DarkAkuma on getting this working!!!

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Um, this is not exactly filling me with confidence that this will work on the weak SNES Mini hardware...

Be aware that this method is highly resource intensive. The higher the number of frames you are going to run ahead of emulation, the higher demands it places on your CPU. For instance, Snes9x on a Core i7 7700k CPU would normally run at 1500fps with Super Mario World. With runahead set to 2 frames, we get 440fps.

I'm not asking for better-than-real-hardware input lag, just Canoe-like input lag would be perfect for me!