• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Problem games be like:

pYQMNve.png

Speaking of which, has sluffy looked into the Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy background bug? If he could fix that (and the flickery top line), I'd hide the stock rom and replace it in a heartbeat!

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hah, I was just about to start my yearly Terranigma playthrough. I love doing the optional stuff and getting all the cities developed.
I may be joining you soon as I'm almost done with Gaia. Boy is that game....rough. I still like it but that translation, half the plot feels like its delivered equal parts school play and absurdist non-sequiter.

EDIT: BTW whats the status on Star Ocean? I hadn't heard much since DA's post in December/January I think.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Another Sufami Turbo has been fixed to load.

And another one.

And some games that need testing.

Last edited:

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Oh dammit. Just realised when I reformatted my computer I lost my original firmware backup

Any way to get it back?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
... no? Though I'm sure you can just get one of the many uploaded ones out there and be fine.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I felt like the NES Mini never got enough love. I know mine didn't. So I've gone back and made it resemble my SNES Mini, by doing the title screen thing and sprites as thumbnails.

QnrOn1s.png

It's a shame it can't do borders. :(

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting on that summer restock for the NES Mini. I can use hakchi for that one, too, right? How's the compatibility with all the different NES games?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Still waiting on that summer restock for the NES Mini. I can use hakchi for that one, too, right? How's the compatibility with all the different NES games?

Yep, you can use the same hakchi.

Compatability is okay. It's generally based on mappers. Common ones like 0, 1, 2, 4 etc work, but then crazy ones like 41 and 228 don't. Sometimes you can convert a game to a different mapper to have it run, and I have a patch pack coming that does this for a bunch of games.

But a mapper being supported isn't a guarantee a game will run flawlessly, which is I why I am (very slowly) working my way through testing them all. You can see, for example, Air Fortress is mapper 1 but comes out like this:

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I actually used CE to update my NES mini since the last time I hacked it back in ....2016 I guess? Back then I know Star Tropics 2 and Rad Racer 2 didn't work, but now Star Tropics 2 does (Rad Racer 2 still doesn't).

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can see, for example, Air Fortress is mapper 1 but comes out like this:

Maybe you just gotta blow into your console to make it work. :P

I have no idea what mappers my games use, so I'll guess I'll just see what's working whenever I can get an NES Mini.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Nice, I'll have a little look at the games they list as "No" for the NES Mini first.

At a quick glance, I've already made patches for a few they list as not working. Nothing as elaborate as sluffy's, but simple header edits that get the game working.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
What's refreshing about the NES Mini and NES patching is that a) there's no Preset ID getting in the way of things and b) patching is a case of putting an ips in hakchi's patch folder. Any hakchi.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I felt like the NES Mini never got enough love. I know mine didn't. So I've gone back and made it resemble my SNES Mini, by doing the title screen thing and sprites as thumbnails.

QnrOn1s.png

It's a shame it can't do borders. :(

I would happily give it the same amount of love if I could manage to find one. It's not like I haven't tried: I constantly check eBay and Craigslist in the hopes someone would sell it at a reasonable price.

Nintendo's vague Summer date for the restock is killing me. I better get the chance to pre-order it this time.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah, will definitely have to cross-compare those docs, rather than fully relying on them. Low G Man has a C7 crash almost "randomly", but it's not actually random. See the final seconds of this video:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
But wow Robin64, the only people who mark games as working are complete noobs ha ha ha ha I guess you will have to sit down and test every single game from start to finish for issues

edit:

/s

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
But wow Robin64, the only people who mark games as working are complete noobs ha ha ha ha I guess you will have to sit down and test every single game from start to finish for issues

Little bit aggressive there, but my point in this case is that someone out there knew it errors and it wasn't hard to find that it does.

And even the worst games, I would force myself to do more than the first level when trying them out. For the SNES that was hell, and I bet it's worse for the NES. And I don't intend to test every game by myself, just as I didn't for the other sheet. Many many ResetEra and NeoGAF users joined in, taking chunks each to do, and if the NES Mini comes back in decent supply I would hope they or others do so again.

The key that I asked for last time, and would always ask for, is if you are familiar with the game please test it out.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
My comment was for the people who have already made such comments (I've seen them on the reddit) because of the time investment (it took TMR roughly 3 years to play all ~714 licensed NES games), I'm not sitting down to playtest all these games either nor am I getting up in arms about minor issues like Touch Fuzzy or Gradients being missing.

I should have edited in the /s

I respect the hustle but there are times where you just gotta ship it

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I agree that nobody should test them all, but I do think that someone who loved, let's say Low G Man here again, if they loved it on the NES then it would be useful if that person played it on the NES Mini and reported back.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I feel it, thats why I dont comment on Uniracers, I honestly have no issue with some of sluffy's latest patches : )

AleSatan

Oct 26, 2017
Narth Curralinaa
Quick question: can the mini be set to output 240p? Or is it always upscaled 1080? Does pixel perfect mode accomplish the same image quality as 240?

Yes, I'm looking for lo-fi. :)

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I agree that nobody should test them all, but I do think that someone who loved, let's say Low G Man here again, if they loved it on the NES then it would be useful if that person played it on the NES Mini and reported back.
All the games could be tested if they were allocated into chunks and people commited to trying them out. I am not playing 714 NES games, but I'd happily test 20 out and update notes.

35 people could test every game and make notes in one day.

Just a thought.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
What have you guys been using for Satellaview game covers? I'm considering using screenshots of the title screen, but it kinda looks weird among everything else that has proper box art :p

Oct 25, 2017
Started replaying Chrono Trigger (added via hakchi2 CE) and noticed some weird issue with the music. Every time a fullscreen menu pops up (like in shops and when you press X) the pitch of the music is changing slightly. Has anyone noticed this yet? Can anything be done about it?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Started replaying Chrono Trigger (added via hakchi2 CE) and noticed some weird issue with the music. Every time a fullscreen menu pops up (like in shops and when you press X) the pitch of the music is changing slightly. Has anyone noticed this yet? Can anything be done about it?

Maybe. Someone needs to ask sluffy about those. Many games have that very same issue. I've noticed it in Super Mario RPG (whenever opening the X menu), Top Gear (transitioning to the Results after a race), Donkey Kong Country 2 (transitioning to the map after a level). Yoshi's Island (transition from attract mode to title screen). Always happens during black screen transitions. I wonder what the hell the roms are doing that cause Canoe to choke during those times. Rom access? Decompression? Maybe sluffy could help...

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

Have you tried using Chrono Trigger's PCM patch to see if makes a difference?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Ah, not yet. I guess I grab the patch from http://darkakuma.z-net.us/p/sfromtool.html#Patches and apply it... how do I do that (via hakchi)?

Download SFROM Tool itself and unzip it into the sfrom_tool folder hakchi has. Then put the PCM patch in its sfrom_tool/patches folder. Finally, enable SFROM Tool from within hakchi itself, making sure to also tick "Use PCM audio if available".

(A nice "side effect" of this is that you'll also be using the official Preset ID)

ren-shin

Oct 28, 2017
These PCM patches, are they considered best to use? Or just optional? I never understood it right.

I did not use it yet.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
These PCM patches, are they considered best to use? Or just optional? I never understood it right.

I did not use it yet.

Honestly, we don't really know. It was something Nintendo used on the Wii, maybe so they didn't have to emulate the SPC700. Every time those games released on VC again, on Wii U or 3DS, they used PCM audio again. However, games new to the Wii U and 3DS did not, they emulated the SPC700 properly.

Canoe supports the holdover, and some people say they hear better audio quality with the PCM samples, and some people believe that by using PCM you free up a little bit of CPU time. Frankly there hasn't been enough testing, especially by audiophiles.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Pilotwings has been fixed!!!!!!

There's also a Yoshi Island test patch to fix the fuzzy level glitch, and a Megaman X2 to test see if the slowdowns are reduced (test done, apparently it helps with the slowdown).

Last edited:

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Thank you. In your opinion, does it achieve the same IQ as original hardware if the signal is converted to RCA or is it noticeably cleaner?
I've only converted to SCART RGB but it did seem noticeably cleaner. I guess you could buy a poor quality converter, or hack one to become worse?

Depends on your TV/monitor I guess? Looked great and pretty authentic on my PVM.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Same issue. I tried using the PCM patch by Darkakuma and it makes it even worse with more music clipping besides the pitch change when transitioning to menu. I don't know if i am doing something wrong or not.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Same issue. I tried using the PCM patch by Darkakuma and it makes it even worse with more music clipping besides the pitch change when transitioning to menu. I don't know if i am doing something wrong or not.

It's possible you did, or it's possible Chrono Trigger and its PCM audio don't play nice on Canoe. Did you also try with -no-lowlatency?

Keep in mind, this is technically Nintendo's patch that they used on the Wii, so it should sound like it does there. Plus, most of the stock games on the SNES Mini use the PCM audio patch already. There are, like, four that don't. And they seem fine.

If Nintendo had put Chrono Trigger on officially, it would've used this PCM audio. I'll go have a look myself when I get back home, though I'm not a huge audio guy so who knows if I'll notice. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
SFROM Tool 1.1.1.0 Has Released
  • Advanced window will refresh if you select a new file while its open.
  • Added a menu option to force the database.xml to reimport/recompile.
  • Fixed the database.xml to now check and reimport as needed when the program is run via command line.
  • Fixed detection/compatibility for "Space Football - One on One".
  • Fixed a issue with the patch select popup always defaulting to the first option, no matter which you chose.
  • Added console output messages for the various steps of the patching process, so CE users can better know when and what has happened.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So I've made two videos. One is Chrono Trigger with SPC audio and one is Chrono Trigger with PCM audio. (If done correctly, the .sfrom sizes should be 4.00mb for the SPC one and 4.68mb for the PCM one)

Will admit, I struggle to even see the base problem. I think there's a tiny clip on the first menu open after I go into Tata's House in the first one? And then the third menu open there seems to make the pitch change a little? And then, to be honest, I can't hear any difference with the PCM version.