• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Found another obvious bug in Seiken Densetsu 3. In the Corridor of Wind, any tile that has the "wind" effect (which blows your party members around) appears black:

5FYpYwOl.jpg

(Sorry for the potato quality of the photo, I have no way to take direct feed shots of my Mini, since I lent my external monitor to a friend.)

Update on this one - apparently this is a sideffect of sluffy's Gamma patch.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Well thank you for reporting the issue. Its difficult testing these long RPGs for possible issues and nobody here really has the time for that.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yes there's been lots of improvements to Canoe compatibility. Depending on how you add games to your Hakchi, there are ways to get Gaia and Terranigma fixed, and more.

Yup and I've played through the whole of Terranigma. Can vouch for it working perfectly on Canoe, the native emulator!

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Hah, I was just about to start my yearly Terranigma playthrough. I love doing the optional stuff and getting all the cities developed.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Sluffy the mad wizard has made it so Sufami Turbo games can load on Canoe. The first working game (knock on wood) is Gekisou Carranger Sentai (aka Power Rangers Turbo)

This game is actually pretty terrible but... what are ya gonna do

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to force SRAM to work between games? I updated my Final Fantasy V with a newer version of the GBA Script hack and some quality of life improvements but Hakchi considers this to be a new game, and SRAM saves didn't transfer over.

If it helps at all, here's how it looks on Hakchi:
e4bb8594e8.png

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Can't you just copy the new FFV sfrom Hakchi created over into the older FFV's folder, replacing the older sfrom? Then you can just delete the duplicate entry and reflash the game list.

I haven't done anything with my SNES classic and hakchi since before the fork versions, so I might be forgetting some crucial detail.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Cisce I might be missing the point but, the games are in separate data folders on the mini... it shouldn't go between them for the SRAM as the mini sees them as completely separate games. At least that's what it appears to be. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
edit-complete swing n a miss :(

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any way to force SRAM to work between games? I updated my Final Fantasy V with a newer version of the GBA Script hack and some quality of life improvements but Hakchi considers this to be a new game, and SRAM saves didn't transfer over.

e4bb8594e8.png

Select your old game, export save, select your new game, import save.

Or, use FTP, go to saves folder, copy saves from one game to the other. Only sram saves, save states will not be compatible and even if it loads, it can cause conflicts.

Or, export save of the game you want, change .cvls to .tar.gz, open with winrar or 7zip, change the game code (example: CLV-U-BKJYJ) to the code of the game you want. Save and change extension back to .clvs, import to system.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
demi

How do you have it in your doc so that people can highlight and copy text? I try doing that with my doc (as anonymous) and Robin's and I can't highlight anything, I can only copy the entire text box.
I just noticed that if I put multiple URLs, people can't individually highlight it or copy it.

Oct 25, 2017
Select your old game, export save, select your new game, import save.

Or, use FTP, go to saves folder, copy saves from one game to the other. Only sram saves, save states will not be compatible and even if it loads, it can cause conflicts.

Or, export save of the game you want, change .cvls to .tar.gz, open with winrar or 7zip, change the game code (example: CLV-U-BKJYJ) to the code of the game you want. Save and change extension back to .clvs, import to system.

Thank you!

Oct 25, 2017
So, given a clean install of everything, what reasons can I see to blame for getting a C7 error literally any time I try any game with --retroarch

demi

Oct 27, 2017

I did this recently with a save (Mystic Ark) when I had to move over an updated patch.

Export Save via Save-State Manager
Rename .clvs file to .tar.gz
Use 7zip (or equivilant) to extract. You should get a folder labeled with the gamecode of your game.
Rename this to the gamecode of your newly added game.
Compress folder to .tar.gz (7zip makes you compress to tar before it lets you gunzip it)
Rename .tar.gz to .clvs
Not sure if this matters but I named the file what it originally was (the Title being used on display)
Import via Save-State Manager

demi

Oct 27, 2017
demi

How do you have it in your doc so that people can highlight and copy text? I try doing that with my doc (as anonymous) and Robin's and I can't highlight anything, I can only copy the entire text box.
I just noticed that if I put multiple URLs, people can't individually highlight it or copy it.

You can't, thats how Google Docs / Excel works, you can only copy the cell itself. There is an edit / function area up top that lets you individually highlight items

https://imgur.com/uEl614B

If you want clickable links, I would suggest making a new column with the cell housing the link just by itself

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Put together a page for collecting SNES Mini Custom Borders. Just mine there right now but will add more, hopefully.

http://robin64.co.uk/customborders/

Hope you don't mind but there's also a massive gallery from Reddit: https://imgur.com/a/b6i31

And download here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B34HFZ1S05pHck1sNmxtbE10OW8?usp=sharing

I finally managed to achieve my goal of adding borders to the USB slot. Keep in mind that if you do this method you'll lose the original borders included with the system, so you'll have to add them back in.

Still haven't figured out how to replace the ugly splash screen but I'm real close to building the perfect SNES box.

Do you still need to keep the games list split into multiple folders in order to avoid crashes? It's a very minor quibble, but jumping between the More Games folders means restarting the custom menu music.

ecto

Jan 28, 2018
I did this recently with a save (Mystic Ark) when I had to move over an updated patch.

Export Save via Save-State Manager
Rename .clvs file to .tar.gz
Use 7zip (or equivilant) to extract. You should get a folder labeled with the gamecode of your game.
Rename this to the gamecode of your newly added game.
Compress folder to .tar.gz (7zip makes you compress to tar before it lets you gunzip it)
Rename .tar.gz to .clvs
Not sure if this matters but I named the file what it originally was (the Title being used on display)
Import via Save-State Manager

I haven't tried to reimport the saves, yet. But you can open the .clvs with 7zip and just rename the folder from within the 7zip manager. It's just a small QOL hack ;)

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

Yeah, I nabbed a couple of the best ones. Some were rather low effort, shall we say, so I didn't grab everything. Sadly most of it was uncredited apart from my ones on there and "NeoGAF user", some of which were also mine. Oh well.

As well as my own, I've added some from friends too. And I'm hoping ResetEra folks will submit theirs to me so we can have one page for everything.

Now at 55 borders.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I used this to install Hakchi on my Super Famicom Mini and it was a breeze.

Shoutout to demi and anyone else that has been contributing info for the game compatibility spreadsheet. Definitely essential!

One thing I wanted to ask, is it possible to remove original games, or can they only be "hidden" by sticking them in a folder?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I dont use Hakchi CE, but in Hakchi 2.21f there is a section called "Original Games" and you simply uncheck them to hide them.

Here's a pic from 2.30 above to show what I'm talking about.

e4bb8594e8.png

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Heck, CE has them listed individually under a heading, allowing you to easily do things like alter their boxart and stuff. Same principle though no matter what version you're on.

O9oleKU.png

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You can't, thats how Google Docs / Excel works, you can only copy the cell itself. There is an edit / function area up top that lets you individually highlight items

https://imgur.com/uEl614B

If you want clickable links, I would suggest making a new column with the cell housing the link just by itself

Thanks. It's baffling that such as simple feature is not allowed.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We don't have a Wii U hacking thread on Era.

If anyone familiar with WUP installer on Wii U wants to help me out I'd appreciate a PM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What's wrong with the current patch that everyone drooled over?

Last I read about it the patch didn't fix the thing about the cycles not disappearing when crossing the middle of the screen. These were some other issues from the previous patch too:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg354700#msg354700

Then sluffy said he couldn't do anything more and to use Retroarch if people wanted 100% emulation:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg354713#msg354713

Then he figured something from messing around with Top Gear that could fix the Uniracers issue:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg354730#msg354730

And then he released the latest patch which no one has tested yet
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg354866#msg354866

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Ah right okay. I'll have a go. For what it's worth, though, the v5 definitely stopped cycles crossing the middle of the screen. I wonder if the poster there used the right one. Either way, I'll check when I get home.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ah right okay. I'll have a go. For what it's worth, though, the v5 definitely stopped cycles crossing the middle of the screen. I wonder if the poster there used the right one. Either way, I'll check when I get home.

Sluffy confirmed it was an issue. The sprites disappeared when in the middle yes, but apparently they disappared too soon or something? Anyway, I guess the latest patch is to fix that.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I just used my carefully curated, edited, patched and beautiful looking SNES Classic setup to hack two more machines (family members). Feels like all the time and effort was worth it when you see other people enjoying it. If only they knew how many hours went into making it possible! Not just my time, but all the people here, darkakuma, sluffy, reddit etc.

Hats off to all of you for helping spread the joy.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Unrelated but its cool to see SNES Classics on store shelves now. Saw a couple in my local Target earlier.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Poor sluffy does get asked to fix some obscure shit, eh..

Are you referring to the Tests? I dont see the harm, might shed some light on Canoe.

Sluffy does what sluffy pleases, he's already said he'll keep doing it as long as he's interested and in the mood. Its the weirdos behind the scenes PMing him asking him about stuff.

I also reported this post for saying Hammerin Harry is obscure shit

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I mostly meant the PMs. :P
He'll come out with a fix for something that nobody in the thread even mentioned.
Or if not a fix, then a preliminary look at least.

The test cart fixes are useful.

And Hammerin' Harry was awesome on NES, I didn't know there was a SFC one.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I had a save for that stage in the game, so getting that pic was quick. Sprites are easy to find too. The font is what gave me issues because the ones I downloaded all applied antialiasing. After 20 minutes of searching I figured if I used GIMP I could remove it, and thus this masterpiece was born.