• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Canoe is without question better than Retroarch for input lag. Retroarch can handle games better though - depending on what game. ie. Canoe cant load Tales of Phantasia, but Retroarch can.

Thanks I'll stick to canoe then. I already have higan on my pc for accurate emulation I can settle for the lowest input lag emulator on snes classic even if it has worse compatibility

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks I'll stick to canoe then. I already have higan on my pc for accurate emulation I can settle for the lowest input lag emulator on snes classic even if it has worse compatibility

Robin has maintained a compatiblity sheet in the OP to help see what games work.

I have done similar tests on a sheet as well if you want a second pair of eyes here: link

Tldr - compatibility is very good, and problem games are being fixed almost daily by 90s leet hacker sluffy

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Unless you plan to fill the SNESC with all the romz evar made, then compatibility won't be a huge issue. If you have a curated list of games, games you like, and games that are good. Then the amount of games with problems is reduced dramatically for you. You WILL need Retroarch for certain games, like Tales of Phantasia that so far is impossible for Canoe to play it.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Thought this might be interesting. I expanded Super Mario World in various ways to find out what size ROMs Canoe does and doesn't support, and here are the results.

UTgETR0.png

As you can see, you can only get 48 Mbit and 64 Mbit games running if they are LoROM. And even then, they need to be a certain type of LoROM. The ones that use the 00:8000-6F:FFFF map don't work, but the other two types do. HiROM at these sizes doesn't work at all. This means stuff like Tales of Phantasia and Crimson Echoes will never work properly in Canoe as they are HiROM at those sizes.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Where does Star Ocean fall under for reference? That seemed like a game that would never be run and here we are

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, wonder if its possible to do some magic to convert Phantasia to a working type then

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still wondering: can you install custom borders to the USB storage if it doesn't have Hakchi directly installed to it?

On the subject, I remember Robin64 had a do-it-yourself border program, which was neat. Problem was there was no way to manually adjust the images afterwards (say I wanted to split the image left or right since the center block covers up the artwork). Has there been an improvement on this?

Adding custom borders as backgrounds for the games was one of my favorite early mod features, so I want to start adding them again. It'd be great if the OP was updated to include all the galleries people added too.

Eyothrie

Oct 27, 2017
If I wanted to completely uninstall Hakchi to start over, should I flash the original kernel first then uninstall, or uninstall first then flash the original kernel? Or does it matter?

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this might be interesting. I expanded Super Mario World in various ways to find out what size ROMs Canoe does and doesn't support, and here are the results.

UTgETR0.png

As you can see, you can only get 48 Mbit and 64 Mbit games running if they are LoROM. And even then, they need to be a certain type of LoROM. The ones that use the 00:8000-6F:FFFF map don't work, but the other two types do. HiROM at these sizes doesn't work at all. This means stuff like Tales of Phantasia and Crimson Echoes will never work properly in Canoe as they are HiROM at those sizes.
Is this the source of the issues with the Project Naga patch?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If I wanted to completely uninstall Hakchi to start over, should I flash the original kernel first then uninstall, or uninstall first then flash the original kernel? Or does it matter?

Flash original kernel, do a factory reset, then start the process. You will lose all your saves unless you back them up.

If I reinstall Hakchi to update to a later version, will I lose my SRAM and save states for games that I had added earlier?

Your saves will always stay inside the system unless you manually delete the saves or unless you do a factory reset.

Eyothrie

Oct 27, 2017
Flash original kernel, do a factory reset, then start the process. You will lose all your saves unless you back them up.

Thanks. I assume that there's no need to select "Uninstall" within the Kernel drop down menu if flashing the original kernal? Trying to understand what that Uninstall option actually does. Appreciate the help!

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I tested both DQ3 and Phantasia, and they dont give a C8/C7 Error, the border appears. Fievel Goes West had this same issue and that turned out to be playable.

You suppose there's just something interfering with the game loading?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I tested both DQ3 and Phantasia, and they dont give a C8/C7 Error, the border appears. Fievel Goes West had this same issue and that turned out to be playable.

You suppose there's just something interfering with the game loading?

This seems to be the more common crash with ExHiROMs. I believe the reason is because theres nothing inherently wrong with the boot instructions, but the problem will occur as soon as it addresses memory that Canoe does not cope with. Super Mario World when expanded crashes in the same way.

Last edited:

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Actually you don't need to flash the original kernel at all. Choose uninstall, then ignore any request to install original kernel, then flash custom kernel and do a factory reset.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Question, the OP said there was a guy who made a ton of custom borders and had a link to the gallery, but unfortunately the section where that link would be was (coming soon), did that ever get posted elsewhere in the thread?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Latest patch looking good! Will test a full solo session in a bit.

Edit: Absolutely spot on. Can't find anything wrong at all. Solo video uploading right now.

Solo vid:

I've updated the patch in my SFROM Tool pack or you can get the IPS here.

Last edited:

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
All hail sluffy!!! He is amazing!!

Say has anyone asked him yet if it would be possible for him to look into the possibility of improving Canoe's performance to resolve games with slowdown/warping sound?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
sluffy modifies games to remove slowdown, in fact that's how we found him.

What examples are there? They'd need to be reproducible 100% reliably.

Modifying canoe would require somebody with ARM CPU skills, which isn't sluffy.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
sluffy modifies games to remove slowdown, in fact that's how we found him.

What examples are there? They'd need to be reproducible 100% reliably.

Modifying canoe would require somebody with ARM CPU skills, which isn't sluffy.

Well Seiken Densetsu 3 and Marvelous are easily reproducible. Robin posted a video of the slowdown in Seiken Densetsu 3 a few pages back.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Found another obvious bug in Seiken Densetsu 3. In the Corridor of Wind, any tile that has the "wind" effect (which blows your party members around) appears black:

5FYpYwOl.jpg

(Sorry for the potato quality of the photo, I have no way to take direct feed shots of my Mini, since I lent my external monitor to a friend.)

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Robin64 sorry for the noob question but how do I make Street Fighter Alpha 2 work on canoe? I don't see the game in the patch database on post 2 but I just stumbled on your youtube video showcasing it D:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Found another obvious bug in Seiken Densetsu 3. In the Corridor of Wind, any tile that has the "wind" effect (which blows your party members around) appears black:

5FYpYwOl.jpg

(Sorry for the potato quality of the photo, I have no way to take direct feed shots of my Mini, since I lent my external monitor to a friend.)

Please provide a save and directions on how to get there.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting for new page... I'm not sure whether these are all considered stupid questions or something?

I never got around to installing Hakchi, and I have a few questions:

1. Is there any reason not to use the USB-host support? I'm assuming I'd still have to worry about the titles per folder limitation, since that is a RAM limitation and not a storage one? Is the following adapter something that'll work? (I don't seem to be able to manually embed links in text on ERA) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...NUF0Y&linkId=a4f773ce3753f86421f29912f0424b2b

2. If I understand correctly from the OP, the SFROM tool is built into Hakchi now? When applying translation patches/fanhacks to ROMs already loaded into Hakchi using the tool, do I have to worry about whether the patches require headered or unheadered ROMs?

3. Should I just be using the Hakchi Easy Installer app now?

Thanks for the help.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Reposting for new page... I'm not sure whether these are all considered stupid questions or something?

1. USB Host is for people who want ALL THE GAMES - do you want ALL THE GAMES? Then use USB Host

2. SFROM is not built into Hakchi, its an opt-in addon. Yes you still need to look into games that require header or unheadered. There are tools that do this work for you.

3. I dont know, I guess? I'm sitting pretty on 2.21f

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. USB Host is for people who want ALL THE GAMES - do you want ALL THE GAMES? Then use USB Host

2. SFROM is not built into Hakchi, its an opt-in addon. Yes you still need to look into games that require header or unheadered. There are tools that do this work for you.

3. I dont know, I guess? I'm sitting pretty on 2.21f

My only unanswered question is how to install borders on the USB host if I don't have Hakchi directly installed to it.

Reddit's been real slow answering this, the last comment said to "install them as an hmod". Seeing how I haven't messed with hmods, I have no idea how to do that.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ok here's a Canoe save for Seiken Densetsu 3 near the Wind Corridor Cave. Someone that has the game with the proper ID (1610 in Hakchi) and the latest fix patch please test the wind effect issue on this post. Use the original Japanese game just in case.

To get to the spot in question (it's easy and short), just load the first save, exit left, take the stairs up then right, continue the linear path until you get to a cave entrance on the left next to a bridge. The Cave entrance might be hard to see. Enter the cave. Inside go all the way up, then left through an almost hidden entrance. You'll hear the wind, follow the path to get to the spot where the issue happens.

Here's a map to get to the Wind Corridor Cave from your save file in case you need it. And here's a map inside the cave in case you need it (you start in the bottom-right).

SRAM Save
https://www.sendspace.com/file/o4nkrw

Canoe Save
https://www.sendspace.com/file/3mtyrf

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My auto border generation tool had been broken for a while, but I fixed it by changing web hosts.

http://www.robin64.co.uk/autoborder/

Do you think you could update this so that we have the option of manually adjusting pictures? Like if I added a picture where a character's face was cut off by the middle, so I could just adjust the left side of the picture while keeping the right side unaltered?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Honestly that's way beyond the scope of not just the app but also my programming ability. I would suggest you just use Paint to adjust an image before processing it.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think you could update this so that we have the option of manually adjusting pictures? Like if I added a picture where a character's face was cut off by the middle, so I could just adjust the left side of the picture while keeping the right side unaltered?

Shouldnt you be playing Rudra instead of dressup? You were the one who wanted to play it after all

Clix

Banned
I have not checked in here in a while, but I went to the first page to see if there were updates to Hakchi and I see there is a link to a different program? So I am confused. Is Hakchi not used anymore? Is this a completely different program? And if so, what is the pro over Hakchi?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I have not checked in here in a while, but I went to the first page to see if there were updates to Hakchi and I see there is a link to a different program? So I am confused. Is Hakchi not used anymore? Is this a completely different program? And if so, what is the pro over Hakchi?

Its not a different program, its a different build by a different team.

If nothing is wrong with your current setup, dont stress over updating, the changes are few and not very impactful.

People seem to have this need, desire to update to the latest when they don't have to and then come back like "BUH ALL MY STUFFS IS BROKE HELP"

Just IMO and this is not directed to you specifically.

Clix

Banned
Its not a different program, its a different build by a different team.

If nothing is wrong with your current setup, dont stress over updating, the changes are few and not very impactful.

People seem to have this need, desire to update to the latest when they don't have to and then come back like "BUH ALL MY STUFFS IS BROKE HELP"

Just IMO and this is not directed to you specifically.

Everything runs fine and have no desire to add more games really. I have all my childhood favorites and some I never got to try but always wanted but did not know a lick of Japanese.

Actually, I'll take that back. Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma. Are they working now? With the native emulator? Have n no desire to add RetroArch or anything. If they still don't work, oh well. No biggie.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes there's been lots of improvements to Canoe compatibility. Depending on how you add games to your Hakchi, there are ways to get Gaia and Terranigma fixed, and more.