• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I just tested (Rev 1) CRC: 23084FCD

And it works just fine. IDK what you or SFROM is doing, sorry. Try just adding it directly thru Hakchi itself.... you might be surprised to find that life doesn't end

demi

Oct 27, 2017
It's a romset that uses cleaner dumps than GoodSNES. GoodSNES was made during a time of copiers which required headers for games to run. Thats why a lot of old translations require them. With modern emulation and flashcarts, headers aren't required anymore.

Give it a google, you'll find more information about the two terms

Eyothrie

Oct 27, 2017
I just tested (Rev 1) CRC: 23084FCD

And it works just fine. IDK what you or SFROM is doing, sorry. Try just adding it directly thru Hakchi itself

Yup, I tested the same version directly through Hakchi, and it works. The SFROM tool must be the culprit here. Have you tried it through the SFROM tool to corraborate what I've found?

you might be surprised to find that life doesn't end

I tested a game and reported an issue I ran into. Figured it would be appreciated, but this is the internet lol

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Welp good news everyone! The tunnel exteriors in Top Gear are indeed fixed:

topgearroo8e.png

Can someone report to sluffy? I don't have an account on romhacking.net. Mind you I haven't played the entire game so there's no telling if it may fuck things up elsewhere. I'll play through a few races and see. Looks promising though! :D Also he says he fixed Top Gear 2 but I don't see the patch anywhere?

Someone else reported that the tunnels were fine, however I don't know if whoever reported the tunnels being glitched in the first place (someone from the compatibility doc last year) was right or if the patch fixed it. Whatever the case, it seems to be fine (unless the glitch happens in another tunnel).

Now all that's left is glitch 3. Can you play the first country (USA) and reach the 4th race? Set the game to easy and pick the white car, you won't have issues getting there. You don't even have win races in first place to get to the 4th race.

Check if objects such as trees, pegs, blockades, are where they are not supposed to be. Trees should not be in the road. There will be pegs and road blocks on certain parts, but I remember them being glitched by being in the wrong place.
Anytime you see something, stop or reduce speed and make a video if possible.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry I realize my post wasn't real clear. I got Insignia brand extension cables from Best Buy. They seemed to have positive reviews and have functioned fine other than the cable not disconnecting from the port. Just like the standard snes mini controllers, you have to squeeze the end of the cable to get these tiny "teeth" or maybe "hooks" to retract in order to unplug the cable. I'm not sure why but even when I squeeze the end, the cable won't budge. I'm not sure why it's stuck. I have two extension cables, and the other one disconnected just fine.

I guess the cables must be of a bad quality. Get the ones I linked to. I've disconnected the plug from the SNESC like 50 times and it works just fine. I don't feel like anything is about to break or get stuck or anything.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I just got a Super Famicom Mini and I'm overwhelmed any time I get the idea of hacking a console or handheld. I guess the first step is to get the system language changed to English..

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
I guess the cables must be of a bad quality. Get the ones I linked to. I've disconnected the plug from the SNESC like 50 times and it works just fine. I don't feel like anything is about to break or get stuck or anything.
Well if I'm ever able to get this cable to actually disconnect then I might pick them up. But in the mean time I'm more concerned with getting the cable to come out of the port lol.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm considering finally doing this thing, but I care a lot about consistency with existing game saves on my carts. I have the tools to get my saves on PC, but they're PAL saves.

Is there an easy way to convert these saves to NTSC? PAL is obviously garbage and a thing of the past, but I'd like to carry over my existing work.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well if I'm ever able to get this cable to actually disconnect then I might pick them up. But in the mean time I'm more concerned with getting the cable to come out of the port lol.

I think you are effed. I watched a teardown of the system and the metal hole where you plug the cable is encased in plastic so you can't push the pin or whatever from the outside to remove the cable. You can either find a replacement for that specific park and throw away the cable and the hole-piece, or see if you can get some strong pliers or something that can cut strong materials and just cut the cable plug in half so you can pull the pin yourself. Once it's cut open, use a needle-nose plier so see if you can crush the metal piece head of the cable, or use it to pull the pins yourself.

https://youtu.be/bM8UdhL8MCY?t=611

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm considering finally doing this thing, but I care a lot about consistency with existing game saves on my carts. I have the tools to get my saves on PC, but they're PAL saves.

Is there an easy way to convert these saves to NTSC? PAL is obviously garbage and a thing of the past, but I'd like to carry over my existing work.

The saves are compatible between regions. And as long as the games are in the same language, then no character names will be screwed up in the process.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a romset that uses cleaner dumps than GoodSNES. GoodSNES was made during a time of copiers which required headers for games to run. Thats why a lot of old translations require them. With modern emulation and flashcarts, headers aren't required anymore.

Give it a google, you'll find more information about the two terms
Oddly, my Google Fu is failing me; I see plenty of links for acquiring those which are "no intro" but no information on what that actually means.
But, it sounds like you're just talking about either headers, which are marginally inconvenient, or those "This room brought to you by!" ten second monkey dance things, which are aggravating.

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a Super Famicom Mini and I'm overwhelmed any time I get the idea of hacking a console or handheld. I guess the first step is to get the system language changed to English..
That part is super easy; I'm on mobile so I don't have it off hand, but there's a single file you just drag and drop onto hakchi and ban, it's taken care of.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Someone else reported that the tunnels were fine, however I don't know if whoever reported the tunnels being glitched in the first place (someone from the compatibility doc last year) was right or if the patch fixed it. Whatever the case, it seems to be fine (unless the glitch happens in another tunnel).

Now all that's left is glitch 3. Can you play the first country (USA) and reach the 4th race? Set the game to easy and pick the white car, you won't have issues getting there. You don't even have win races in first place to get to the 4th race.

Check if objects such as trees, pegs, blockades, are where they are not supposed to be. Trees should not be in the road. There will be pegs and road blocks on certain parts, but I remember them being glitched by being in the wrong place.
Anytime you see something, stop or reduce speed and make a video if possible.

I'm the one who reported the glitchy tunnels in the document. It was all of them. This is what they looked like before sluffy's patch:

topgearglitchf3rjk.png

sluffy's patch also fixed the single line of glitchy pixels at the horizon points on night tracks.

As for your request on track 4, I'm really not sure what I should be looking for. Everything looks perfectly normal to me. I recorded 2 laps around the track. Let me know if you spot what you're talking about:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Since you're the Top Gear fan, would you say the patch is a success or is there work to be done?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Since you're the Top Gear fan, would you say the patch is a success or is there work to be done?

I've played through around 50% of the tracks in the game and didn't spot anything out of the ordinary.

As far as I'm concerned the game is perfect now. There's still the case of the slight audio pitch drop when the game transitions to the results screen after a race, but that happens in many other games, even stock ones, so this won't get fixed unless sluffy manages to somehow improve Canoe's current performance limits.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I never got around to installing Hakchi, and I have a few questions:

1. Is there any reason not to use the USB-host support? I'm assuming I'd still have to worry about the titles per folder limitation, since that is a RAM limitation and not a storage one? Is the following adapter something that'll work? (I don't seem to be able to manually embed links in text on ERA) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...NUF0Y&linkId=a4f773ce3753f86421f29912f0424b2b

2. If I understand correctly from the OP, the SFROM tool is built into Hakchi now? When applying translation patches/fanhacks to ROMs already loaded into Hakchi using the tool, do I have to worry about whether the patches require headered or unheadered ROMs?

3. Should I just be using the Hakchi Easy Installer app now?

Thanks for the help.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Hackchi is installed on the console instead of USB storage, can you still add custom borders to the USB storage? Or does it have to be where Hackchi is installed?

If it's the latter, I may wipe the console clean and put Hackchi on USB. Borders and artwork can take up considerable space, which is why I got a 64GB drive to begin with.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oddly, my Google Fu is failing me; I see plenty of links for acquiring those which are "no intro" but no information on what that actually means.
But, it sounds like you're just talking about either headers, which are marginally inconvenient, or those "This room brought to you by!" ten second monkey dance things, which are aggravating.

No-Intro does mean no "ten second monkey dance things", it also means no headers, and no impurities. Basically, they dump and verify that the the ROM dump is exactly like the original game.

Previous sets (GoodSNES), probably due to having people all over the world dumping without much regard of what was accurate or not, often marked bad dumps of games as being perfect dumps. While they slowly did get around to actually verifying some of the perfect dumps (denoted by the ! sign), it was too late. No-Intro had gained notoriety for only dumping clean ROMs and not having a bloated game collection with 10 different versions of a game filled with bad dumps, over dumps, hacks, etc.

Unfortunately, there are some people that have ROM collections from decades ago, which are filled with bad dumps, and those games either don't run or have issues on the SNESC. Some old or shady websites also might have old GoodSNES sets. Luckily most decent websites and torrents have No-Intro sets readily available.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm the one who reported the glitchy tunnels in the document. It was all of them. This is what they looked like before sluffy's patch:

topgearglitchf3rjk.png

sluffy's patch also fixed the single line of glitchy pixels at the horizon points on night tracks.

As for your request on track 4, I'm really not sure what I should be looking for. Everything looks perfectly normal to me. I recorded 2 laps around the track. Let me know if you spot what you're talking about:

Ah great, I've never seen a pic of the tunnel glitch. Good to know it's fixed then.

I saw your video and now I think I know what the problem is. Notice how sometimes when the road goes up and the horizon goes down, parts of the light poles on the sides (or other objects) seems to appear on the track when they shouldn't be visible since the elevated track is supposed to be covering them from view.

That has to be what I remember. Unfortunately I can't test my unpatched version because I have no way of playing the system anytime soon.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Ah great, I've never seen a pic of the tunnel glitch. Good to know it's fixed then.

I saw your video and now I think I know what the problem is. Notice how sometimes when the road goes up and the horizon goes down, parts of the light poles on the sides (or other objects) seems to appear on the track when they shouldn't be visible since the elevated track is supposed to be covering them from view.

That has to be what I remember. Unfortunately I can't test my unpatched version because I have no way of playing the system anytime soon.

Ahhhh I see it now! Oh my god you're right! Parts of objects that should get drawn behind the track are getting drawn in front of it when the track has a downward slope coming up. Kinda like sprites think the "horizon line" is much lower than it should be. For example:

topgearglitch2ieqh8.png

That was there before sluffy's patch though. Also I checked and this happens in both ZSnes and Snes9X, but not in BSNES. Well good luck to sluffy if he wants to fix that one... yikes!

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the pic. If it happens in snes9x (what version?), then it's something he'll be able to fix 100%. The problem with him not being able to fix some things is that if the emulators don't produce that issue, or if he can't break the game to reproduce the issue, then he can't fix it because he doesn't know what's wrong. That's why a lot of games with sound issues will probably stay like that, because no emulators have those issues.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the pic. If it happens in snes9x (what version?), then it's something he'll be able to fix 100%. The problem with him not being able to fix some things is that if the emulators don't produce that issue, or if he can't break the game to reproduce the issue, then he can't fix it because he doesn't know what's wrong. That's why a lot of games with sound issues will probably stay like that, because no emulators have those issues.

Snes9X 1.41-1. I know, I really should update...

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I tried sluffy's latest Uniracers patch and... bad news. In single player mode the CPU, when off screen, is constantly drawn in the top-left corner. :(

uniracersglitch47rhv.png

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I tried sluffy's latest Uniracers patch and... bad news. In single player mode the CPU, when off screen, is constantly drawn in the top-left corner. :(

uniracersglitch47rhv.png

Noooooooooooooooooooo.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Uniracers is apparently fixed. Who was the one with the raging boner for the game? We need their approval.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
finally snatched myself a snes classic and should be arriving tommorow. I was wondering, should I play the games on canoe or are third party emulators better on snes classic? Mostly asking for input lag / bugs

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

uniracersglitch47rhv.png

By the way, are you sure you didn't use any save states or even loaded a battery save done with the previous patch or even vanilla game?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
finally snatched myself a snes classic and should be arriving tommorow. I was wondering, should I play the games on canoe or are third party emulators better on snes classic? Mostly asking for input lag / bugs

Canoe is without question better than Retroarch for input lag. Retroarch can handle games better though - depending on what game. ie. Canoe cant load Tales of Phantasia, but Retroarch can.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Does anybody have Sailor Moon: Another Story working on Hackchi CE 1.1.0? I see from truly101's post last month they had it working on a previous version but have been getting C-7 errors since which is the problem I'm having as well.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Does anybody have Sailor Moon: Another Story working on Hackchi CE 1.1.0? I see from truly101's post last month they had it working on a previous version but have been getting C-7 errors since which is the problem I'm having as well.

Works fine. Just tested a fresh copy, and with the translation patch, both are okay. Note that the translation patch requires a headered ROM. (Yes this shit again)

Download my version of ipsbehead here and just drop your patch file on to ipsbehead.bat for it to make a new patch that doesn't need a headered ROM.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Hum, okay. False alarm it seems.

First time around I loaded the rom directly in Sfrom and applied the ips in the F1 menu (making sure to unselect "Canoe fix") and generated the Sfrom. I guess it generated an incorrect rom?

This time I applied the patch on the rom directly with Lunar IPS, then loaded that into Sfrom to generate the Sfrom, and now Uniracers is works perfectly fine!

Huh, so I guess there might be a bug/inconsistency in how the Sfrom tool applies external ipses? Or maybe it's something else I did...

In any case Uniracers is fixed!! Fuck yeah! :D

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's best not to use SFROM Tool when testing these patches. Wait until the final patch is made to build your perfect roms with SFROMT. In the meantime, patch them with Lunar and add them to hakchi like normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Do remember that an early version of my Patch Pack had the first Uniracers patch in it, before people noticed more was wrong. This is why these days I tend to wait just a couple of days before adding a patch now. Your build likely picked up that old patch.

When testing the new patch, please make sure you try all the various types of level. With some old ones, problems would only present themselves on a certain type and not others.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Works fine. Just tested a fresh copy, and with the translation patch, both are okay. Note that the translation patch requires a headered ROM. (Yes this shit again)

Download my version of ipsbehead here and just drop your patch file on to ipsbehead.bat for it to make a new patch that doesn't need a headered ROM.

Great, that worked! So happy I've got the collection I wanted complete now.
Many thanks for your help!

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sluffy as added an updated Uniracers patch that makes sure it cleans the screen if the CPU is not in it.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Gonna boot up Uniracers myself now. Very familiar with the game, used to 100% it back in the day in my sleep. :D

(All those skills are so gone now, though)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Well, single player is very impressive! Doesn't even do that thing where you see the CPU on the other side screen for a second any more. There's a small quirk in 2-player though (which you can view solo by leaving it on the title screen for a demo).

aUJWYDe.png

You'll note that as the green player falls off the orange players screen, their entire sprite moves over into the green half, making it look like there are two greens on the bottom screen. As soon as the sprite is fully over, it vanishes.

At this point, that screen should look a bit like this, if you'll pardon the quick Paint job:

DwctMph.png