• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 25, 2017
FE5 shows the Shaya patch, which is all good conversations, garbled menus (as I've heard; I haven't actually tried an FE5 translation in quite some time, and don't want to bother with a half done translation).
FE4 seems to list an older translation than Project Naga, which might work, but I might as well get Retroarch installed anyway, even if my initial reason is for FE4.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine, I was just picking your brain since you seemed familiar with the Fire Emblem scene

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine, I was just picking your brain since you seemed familiar with the Fire Emblem scene
Mid 2000's or so I was very much *in* the scene, making hacks and shit (though there was no fame around me, all just really basic stuff haha), last thing I really remember was oggling at how much more complex the DS games handled their portraits and such. I dropped out around that time; the DS games were simultaneously harder and easier to fuck with, since you actually got some folder structure to work with instead of raw addresses, but the actual edits were harder.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
BS F-Zero 2

I can't get this work. I have the no-intro version, but I can't get it to run. People have told me that they have versions that do run, which is why I am presenting this now. Does anyone have it working? Speaking Canoe here, naturally.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
BS F-Zero 2 is a BS-X soundlink game. You need a hacked version to be able to play it. A hack that removes the 7 minute wait limit or maybe that even makes it playable on Canoe. Only emus that properly play non-hacked versions of the game are Higan and SNESGT.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, are you sure you mean BS F-Zero GP 2? Because I see than only GP 1 is the one that has been dumped.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Probably GP1. Each week was a different cup.

GP2's only dump is a practice game.

There are so many BSX games lost to the ages now :(

*edit*
Lies. It was BS F-Zero GP2 Practice. It only has an Ace Cup like you remember. That version was not a soundlink game, so it had no wait time.

Any emulator should play it, which means sluffy could maybe fix it assuming it doesn't have any kind of Satellaview-specific programing in it.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Would be cool if sluffy took a look at it. It would be good to have the patch as a separate file instead of relying on a hardcoded hack.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
GP1 had all the FZero tracks, plus new ones (and new cars). Each broadcast week was a different Cup.
GP2 soundlink version has not been dumped, but there is a VHS recording of one of the broadcast weeks. Don't know what's new or changed, or how many broadcast weeks it got.
GP2 Practice (the non-soundlink version) only has the new tracks from GP1, plus 1 or 2 new tracks from GP2. Only Ace cup.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm slightly confused what the patch is for. Are we saying it should be used on the "clean" GP2 dump to make something better than the h1C patch?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I asked sluffy because I assumed whoever hacked GP2, didn't leave a patch for it. And for "accuracy" purposes, I would rather have a clean rom + patch, than a hacked hardcoded rom.

But someone happened to give sluffy the the [h1C] patch (I don't know who). So what he did was make his own version by cleaning the header.

Point is, both apparently work, but since I don't know where to find the [h1C] patch, then I'll go with the one sluffy made.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The list of BS stuff on the Good ROMs site is nuts. Most games seem to have about 15 things dumped. It's a minefield.

(Search for "BS F-ZERO Grand Prix 2 (J) [h1C].smc" and you'll see the same index I am looking at...)

((I guess "BS F-ZERO Grand Prix 2 (J).smc" is our base ROM in this case))

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, well we're talking about "vanilla" dumps when we've been using no-intro as a base, so if there's no base to use then . . . ?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The list of BS stuff on the Good ROMs site is nuts. Most games seem to have about 15 things dumped. It's a minefield.

Nah.

Soundlink games (games played live during a satellite broadcast) had 4 releases, one for each broadcast week, each week with different content. Soundlink games are the ones that usually start with "BS" on their title.

Regular releases didn't have the "BS" title (99% of the time). And those only have one dump. Most releases were just ports of Super Famicom games, others were original games, like Radical Dreamers (Chrono Trigger's sequel).

But I guess if some of those games have been hacked, then yeah, there are going to be a lot of releases for one game.

Ok, well we're talking about "vanilla" dumps when we've been using no-intro as a base, so if there's no base to use then . . . ?

In this case the "base" is GoodSNES.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Seems like everyone just chucks BS in front of anything that was on the BS, as stuff like Radical Dreamers and Dr Mario are listed there as such. Annoyances.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I guess it's a way to identify it's the BS-X version easily when looking at a list.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So.. should Radical Dreamers work in Canoe? How do I know if something is a "soundlink"?

Edit: First ROM I nabbed gives a C7. Works fine on PC (snes9x). It was an already patched English Demiforce 1.4 translation.

2: "BS Radical Dreamers (J) [T+Eng1.2_Demiforce].smc" works.

3: I'm an idiot, 1.4 works too. Just had to rename from .sfc to .smc.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Probably has a header?

Only way to know if a game is soundlink is looking at a list of soundlink games on wikipedia. You could also tell by the "BS" name, but I guess most romsites call all BS-X games like that anyway.

There were a lot of BS-X released, sadly more than half have not been dumped. I wanted to try that Super Mario Collection week 1 that had a version of Super Mario 1 with a cool map screen.

By the way, Radical Dreamers is a visual novel. Just in case you are expecting an RPG.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Probably has a header?

Only way to know if a game is soundlink is looking at a list of soundlink games on wikipedia. You could also tell by the "BS" name, but I guess most romsites call all BS-X games like that anyway.

There were a lot of BS-X released, sadly more than half have not been dumped. I wanted to try that Super Mario Collection week 1 that had a version of Super Mario 1 with a cool map screen.

First I heard of that. Man, that's a shame that's lost. Just looked up a video, looks really interesting. The BS-X was so ahead of its time.

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I need help with a snes mini related issue and this is the only active thread I've seen on it lately.
I bought an extension cable so I could play with the corded controllers included from my couch, and now the cord plugged into the 1st player port will not disconnect. I figured one or both of the teeth just weren't retracting, so I opened the plastic casing on the cable and manually pushed down the internal prong. But to my surprise in still won't come out, does anyone have any ideas as to why it would be stuck like this? I mainly thought it was the teeth on the right side because I can wiggle the left side of the cable slightly loose. While the right side won't budge.

Any help would be appreciated! I Googled a bit and didn't see anyone with this issue.

Eyothrie

Oct 27, 2017
I have a few questions, specifically about Final Fantasy 5 with the two English translation patches.

Does the original RPGe English patch work, or should I stick with the GBA script port?

Is there a fix for the top line flicker in the Desert battle scenes? I see the note on Robin's document: Minor issue: Desert battle scenes cause the top line of the screen to flicker.

I reeeeeaally want to add this one and play it again, but I want it as close to perfect as it can be. Thanks in advance!

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I need help with a snes mini related issue and this is the only active thread I've seen on it lately.
I bought an extension cable so I could play with the corded controllers included from my couch, and now the cord plugged into the 1st player port will not disconnect. I figured one or both of the teeth just weren't retracting, so I opened the plastic casing on the cable and manually pushed down the internal prong. But to my surprise in still won't come out, does anyone have any ideas as to why it would be stuck like this? I mainly thought it was the teeth on the right side because I can wiggle the left side of the cable slightly loose. While the right side won't budge.

Any help would be appreciated! I Googled a bit and didn't see anyone with this issue.

I don't understand exactly what is it that's stuck? The cable? The teeth on the cable? On the console? Why are teeth even retracting? Anyway, I don't know what shoody or weird extension cables you bought, but I bought these https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Controller-Extension-i-Kawachi-Nintendo/dp/B07114C4TL/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521851934&sr=8-3&keywords=nes+classic+extension+cable

And so far I've had zero issues. I would recommend you buy these instead.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks, someone else tested it, but it would be good if someone with good knowledge of how the game should play to test it. Someone that can verify if the computer's behavior is correct. If you are familiar with the game, then go right ahead and provide a test run.

Well based on what I read from the romhacking thread the people who tested it reported (and showed through vids/screenshots) that it's still very buggy. So I'll skip on that one.

However I see that he's made a potential fix for Top Gear, so I'll be checking that one out.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Used the new auto-installer to install Hackchi CE on my SNES. Also finally set up the USB storage plus dongle.

I have a few questions for those who have a similar setup:

1. Games and save states transferred over successfully. The only thing missing are the custom borders I added using FTR. How do I get those back, and if I want to add more do I still have to FTR into the system or is there now an easier way?

2. How do I disable the Hackchi splash screen upon startup?

3. How do I set the time in which the system goes to sleep?

4. If I use the export button to export a game to USB storage, is that moving the game from the console's storage to USB, or is it making a copy?

5. If it is making a copy, how do I then delete the game from console's storage?

6. How do I make the USB storage the default location for games I install?

7. Does the PC not read the SNES when using the dongle? Seems it wouldn't recognize it at all, so I had to take it out and plug it directly to my PC's USB port using the default power cable.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Welp good news everyone! The tunnel exteriors in Top Gear are indeed fixed:

topgearroo8e.png

Can someone report to sluffy? I don't have an account on romhacking.net. Mind you I haven't played the entire game so there's no telling if it may fuck things up elsewhere. I'll play through a few races and see. Looks promising though! :D Also he says he fixed Top Gear 2 but I don't see the patch anywhere?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Used the new auto-installer to install Hackchi CE on my SNES. Also finally set up the USB storage plus dongle.

I have a few questions for those who have a similar setup:

2. How do I disable the Hackchi splash screen upon startup?

Can't be disabled since it takes a small amount of extra time for the SNES to access the USB drive. You can change the boot screen however to whatever you like by taking a 1280x720 PNG image and naming it boot,png and placing it into the hakchi folder on your USB

4. If I use the export button to export a game to USB storage, is that moving the game from the console's storage to USB, or is it making a copy?

I think it just makes a copy if the game is already on the console's internal storage. The export button doesn't interact with the actual console in any way. It just takes the games you loaded onto Hakchi and puts them on the USB for the SNES to read.

5. If it is making a copy, how do I then delete the game from console's storage?

Just uncheck the games you want to delete and select sync games with SNES Mini

6. How do I make the USB storage the default location for games I install?

Just use the export button when adding games to Hakchi

7. Does the PC not read the SNES when using the dongle? Seems it wouldn't recognize it at all, so I had to take it out and plug it directly to my PC's USB port using the default power cable.

Yeah unfortunately PC's can't read the SNES with the OTG connected, at least in my experience so you need the direct connection between SNES and PC using the standard usb cable. A bit of a pain but what can you do?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I upload all patches here: link

Again I dont use SFROM so if you want Robin's patch you will have to wait for him to make one

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't be disabled since it takes a small amount of extra time for the SNES to access the USB drive. You can change the boot screen however to whatever you like by taking a 1280x720 PNG image and naming it boot,png and placing it into the hakchi folder on your USB

Okay, that works. I wouldn't mind using something like this as an image: https://wallpapercave.com/wp/L4FPmFS.jpg

Would you happen to know where in the folder boot.png is located? Can't seem to find it. Also I don't suppose there's an option for a random splash screen of your preferred images?

Just uncheck the games you want to delete and select sync games with SNES Mini

How would I delete it from the USB then?

Just use the export button when adding games to Hakchi

So far it looks like the export button just moves "everything" to USB. Would I just have to uncheck everything and check only what I want exported?

Oct 27, 2017
?

Small correction, it can be disabled through Settings>Boot Splash>Disable boot splash, or by FTP'ing in and deleting the p7010_bootlogo in /etc/preinit.d.
Alternatively you can delete the logo itself in the /etc folder but that would lengthen boot time very slightly.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Okay, that works. I wouldn't mind using something like this as an image: https://wallpapercave.com/wp/L4FPmFS.jpg

Would you happen to know where in the folder boot.png is located? Can't seem to find it. Also I don't suppose there's an option for a random splash screen of your preferred images?

You would just create boot.png and place it in the hakchi folder. It's not an existing file that you need to delete. Since boot.png that you create will automatically override the default

How would I delete it from the USB then?

Find the game's folder on your USB, The CLV ID will help you, and delete it manually

So far it looks like the export button just moves "everything" to USB. Would I just have to uncheck everything and check only what I want exported?

Yes uncheck everything you don't want to export

Small correction, it can be disabled through Settings>Boot Splash>Disable boot splash, or by FTP'ing in and deleting the p7010_bootlogo in /etc/preinit.d.
Alternatively you can delete the logo itself in the /etc folder but that would lengthen boot time very slightly.

I wasn't aware you could do this, Thanks

Eyothrie

Oct 27, 2017
Any ideas as to why I am getting a C7 error on Final Fantasy 2 (U) (V1.1)? The SFROM tool is enabled, and I havent made any config changes to this one other than adding cover art

demi

Oct 27, 2017
V1.1 makes me think you arent using no-intro set, which labels their games (Rev 1) and such

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
I don't understand exactly what is it that's stuck? The cable? The teeth on the cable? On the console? Why are teeth even retracting? Anyway, I don't know what shoody or weird extension cables you bought, but I bought these https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Controller-Extension-i-Kawachi-Nintendo/dp/B07114C4TL/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521851934&sr=8-3&keywords=nes+classic+extension+cable

And so far I've had zero issues. I would recommend you buy these instead.
Sorry I realize my post wasn't real clear. I got Insignia brand extension cables from Best Buy. They seemed to have positive reviews and have functioned fine other than the cable not disconnecting from the port. Just like the standard snes mini controllers, you have to squeeze the end of the cable to get these tiny "teeth" or maybe "hooks" to retract in order to unplug the cable. I'm not sure why but even when I squeeze the end, the cable won't budge. I'm not sure why it's stuck. I have two extension cables, and the other one disconnected just fine.

Eyothrie

Oct 27, 2017
V1.1 makes me think you arent using no-intro set, which labels their games (Rev 1) and such

I've tried:

Final Fantasy II (USA) (Rev 1).sfc (the no-intro one)
Final Fantasy II (U) (V1.1).smc
Final Fantasy II (U) (V1.0) [!].smc

The only one that is working for me through the sfrom tool is that bottom one (V1.0 [!]). But the sfrom tool doesn't add the preset id, the publisher shows up as "UNKNOWN", and the release date shows up as "1900-01-01". Very strange. Getting C7 errors using the top two.