• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrMan2k7

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
I know that this thread tends to be more purist and focus on SNES games only, but I made a ton of "Switch-style" icons for almost every system that the SNES Classic can feasibly play, from A to V (Arcade to Virtual Boy). (Sorry ZX Spectrum, I haven't made any icons for you... yet.)

Robin64, would you mind updating the link in the OP? I moved everything over to DropBox instead of Google Drive.

There are two options available: Basic (2 pixel black border) and System Borders (2 pixel color-coded border with abbreviated text in lower-right corner for system title).

See the link here:
SNES Classic - "Switch-style" Icons
Disclaimer: I did not create all of the icons in these links. Most were created by me, but others were found from various sources around the internet. I added the borders and uploaded them so they could all be easily found at a single location.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know that this thread tends to be more purist and focus on SNES games only, but I made a ton of "Switch-style" icons for almost every system that the SNES Classic can feasibly play, from A to V (Arcade to Virtual Boy). (Sorry ZX Spectrum, I haven't made any icons for you... yet.)

Robin64, would you mind updating the link in the OP? I moved everything over to DropBox instead of Google Drive.

There are two options available: Basic (2 pixel black border) and System Borders (2 pixel color-coded border with abbreviated text in lower-right corner for system title).

See the link here:
Disclaimer: I did not create all of the icons in these links. Most were created by me, but others were found from various sources around the internet. I added the borders and uploaded them so they could all be easily found at a single location.

I'm a big fan of the Switch-style icons for the SNES Classic, particularly the ones that don't have the title on them. Looks real snazzy and would gladly take more.

Is there no active resource that collects custom borders anymore? Once I get the extra USB storage I really want to fill out with more backgrounds.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I tried this and no joy; I've still got stock SFC working fine, but any time I try to flash the custom kernel everything breaks.

If you flashed the original kernel back and was able to do a factory reset, then your SNESC is fine. Whatever you are doing with hakchi is damaging the process.

Make sure you are using the ORIGINAL USB cable to hook it up. Make sure you are using your own hakchi with your own folder for that specific SNES. Do not mix it up with any other configuration. It's best if you just delete the entire hakchi folder and download the latest version (do NOT download the installer). If you download the portable version, place that hakchi folder anywhere on your PC that it's not in Drive C or any windows system folder.

You're saying everything breaks, but you need to be more specific. What steps from the OP did you do? Where does it break? What messages do you get? Are you using a MAC?

*Sorry if you have mentioned some of this before, but I don't really keep up with troubleshooting posts because there are hundreds of help posts on reddit, gbatemp, youtube, and here about it already. Whatever is happening to you has already happened to someone else, so there will be a solution.*

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hold on, I think I may have fucked something with the NAND's. In my haste to clean up the system being stuck in FC mode, I think I flashed the NAND C, and that my be my problem. I think I need to get an untouched, "only just modded" NAND C to fix my issues.

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

See the link here:

Is there anyway to download the entire package? Or maybe I don't understand Dropbox...

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
demi Robin64

Please test a Jurassic Park patch, the guys that have tested it say it gives a black screen, but sluffy thinks it might be a problem with the ROM or something else because it shouldn't give a black screen. Instructions are there are RHDN.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Jurassic Park (Rev 1) with jp_test4.ips

0000 = Black Screen on launch, no error
A210/10A2 = Black Screen on launch, no error

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. So it's the same for everyone then.

Can you post the following on romhacking.net for me? Since I'm still a new user over there, my posts are stuck in limbo until a moderator verifies my posts. I'd edit my previous post, but I don't want Sluffy to overlook it!

When I posted my test results earlier, I wasn't sure exactly what we were looking for. I thought the checkerboard shadow below Grant was the glitchiness. I saw your two pictures over on romhacking and can confirm the following tests,

test1 on 0000 = fine, no random colored pixels appearing around Grant when moving
test2 on 0000 = fine, no random colored pixels appearing around Grant when moving
test2a on 0000 = fine, no random colored pixels appearing around Grant when moving
test3 on 0000 = fine, no random colored pixels appearing around Grant when moving
test4 on 0000 = black screen on boot. no SNES classic border shown. c7 error when I reset

all patches on either 10A2 or 10A4 = black screen upon boot, shows SNES classic border, no c7 upon reset

Give my apologies to Sluffy for any confusion!

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. So it's the same for everyone then.

Saw you wanted testing on the vanilla Rev 1 rom

vanilla Rev 1 on 0000 = fine, no random colored pixels appearing around Grant when moving
vanilla Rev 1 on 10A2 = glitchy pixels appearing around Grant (just like your pictures), game lags
vanilla Rev 1 on 10A4 = glitchy pixels appearing around Grant (just like your pictures), game lags

game lags slightly on 10A2 and 10A4 in addition to the glitchy pixels around Grant. "Welcome To Jurassic Park" audio is choppy. Grant movement is choppy.

EDIT: there was lag present, but upon rebooting my SNES, it disappeared

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Saw you wanted testing on the vanilla Rev 1 rom

vanilla Rev 1 on 0000 = fine, no random colored pixels appearing around Grant when moving
vanilla Rev 1 on 10A2 = glitchy pixels appearing around Grant (just like your pictures), game lags
vanilla Rev 1 on 10A4 = glitchy pixels appearing around Grant (just like your pictures), game lags

game lags slightly on 10A2 and 10A4 in addition to the glitchy pixels around Grant. "Welcome To Jurassic Park" audio is choppy. Grant movement is choppy.

Thanks for the tests.

I didn't notice any lag, but if there is, it's due to the hi-res ID.

If you add -no-lowlatency and remove any border then it might be fixed.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tests.

I didn't notice any lag, but if there is, it's due to the hi-res ID.

If you add -no-lowlatency and remove any border then it might be fixed.

Now I'm a little freaked out. Just retested vanilla Rev 1 on 10A2 and 10A4. Glitchy pixels appear around Grant, however, this time I have no lag on both IDs.

Only thing that changed between this testing and the last testing was I actually shut down my SNES Classic. I've been testing for a couple hours. Maybe a full power-down cleared some cache/ram, thus no more lagging? Not sure what happened.

So ignore my previous post about lag being present. Don't want to confuse Sluffy with a non-existent issue!

Last edited:

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
Finally upgraded to CE from 2.21f and I think I f'd it all up. The system itself seems fine but the games are all messed up. Is there any info on the proper way to move an existing library from one version to the next? Should I be reimporting all my games into the new version or can I just copy the folders from one version to the next? Do I still need Retroarch for some games?

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Finally upgraded to CE from 2.21f and I think I f'd it all up. The system itself seems fine but the games are all messed up. Is there any info on the proper way to move an existing library from one version to the next? Should I be reimporting all my games into the new version or can I just copy the folders from one version to the next? Do I still need Retroarch for some games?

You can't "upgrade" to hakchi CE, you have to format the SNESC and install CE like new. To keep your games, just copy the games_snes folder from old hakchi to CE.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Hi. I am new to this so I was wondering if this is something that I should be concerned about.
cPR2tZm.png

I was simply attempting to install what I assume is the latest snes9x hmod, Hakchi reports the installation was a success. Is the reboot intentional? Any input would be appreciated.

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
You can't "upgrade" to hakchi CE, you have to format the SNESC and install CE like new. To keep your games, just copy the games_snes folder from old hakchi to CE.
That's what I did. Flashed original kernel then flashed CE kernel. Copied game folder then synced games. My issues is some don't work right and I'm not sure if I still need Retroarch or special configs to make games work.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hi. I am new to this so I was wondering if this is something that I should be concerned about.
cPR2tZm.png

I was simply attempting to install what I assume is the latest snes9x hmod, Hakchi reports the installation was a success. Is the reboot intentional? Any input would be appreciated.

Holy shit! How did Nintendo get access to your system?? Were you online while trying to hack it?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's what I did. Flashed original kernel then flashed CE kernel. Copied game folder then synced games. My issues is some don't work right and I'm not sure if I still need Retroarch or special configs to make games work.

After flashing original kernel, you have to do a factory reset.
If the non-working games didn't work before, then that's not CE's fault. There are 2 docs detailing what games work or how to make them work, use that as a guide.

Last edited:

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Seriously now. I don't know why you got all that when you dropped the snes9x.hmod into hakchi. Try uninstalling it and be certain that what you are dropping is a real file and not something else.

Thanks, appreciate the pointers. I am attempting to install _km_snes9x2016_3_15_18.hmod that's included in KMFDManic-NESC-SNESC-Cores.3-22-18. Are there any preconditions I need to satisfy in order to do this?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not really. If the system is hacked, all you have to do is drag and drop of the hmod file on hakchi and it should install without any fuss. I would take it out of the zip/rar first just in case. And make sure your hakchi folder is not inside some windows system folder like Drive C or installed program folders.

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
After flashing original kernel, you have to do a factory reset.
If the non-working games didn't work before, then that's not CE's fault. There are 2 docs detailing what games work or how to make them work, use that as a guide.

That's my main issue. I had all the games working prior to the upgrade. Some were using Retroarch and a few had customs execution line to make them work. Spent a ton of time getting it all right.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Read the compatibility docs and compare to the games you have that don't work. Update them with the patches found in the doc, if there are no patches, then use retroarch. Just add -retroarch at the end of the commandline to have your games boot with it.

Oct 25, 2017
So, in regards to putting on Retroarch, what are my concerns?
I know Retroarch on PC is something to be configured, is that still the case on SFC Classic? Or is it pretty much drag and drop? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

I ask because as I understand it, a lot of translation patches won't work on Canoe, and I'd like to play FE4 in English.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
"A lot" is a stretch, its only two patches that I know of (DQ3, Project Naga) and a couple games (Phantasia, Tengai Makyo Zero). Star Ocean being the exception since DA has that working and pending a release.

But you will need to tweak settings and such, since RetroArch has considerable input lag versus Canoe, which is why we have all these game-specific patches in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
"A lot" is a stretch, its only two patches that I know of (DQ3, Project Naga) and a couple games (Phantasia, Tengai Makyo Zero). Star Ocean being the exception since DA has that working and pending a release.

But you will need to tweak settings and such, since RetroArch has considerable input lag versus Canoe, which is why we have all these game-specific patches in the first place.
Well, Project Naga is in fact the FE4 patch, so...!
So Star Ocean isn't working now, but will be in the future?

I had heard it had *some* latency, but you're saying it's significant... Is it anything I'd notice playing an SRPG?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'll check it out tonight if no one has by then.

Thanks, someone else tested it, but it would be good if someone with good knowledge of how the game should play to test it. Someone that can verify if the computer's behavior is correct. If you are familiar with the game, then go right ahead and provide a test run.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
No, absolutely not.

Retroarch will serve you just fine for any game, but keep in mind on -why- most of us prefer to not use it for our SNES games.

edit:

In FE4's case, you can use DarkTwilkitri's patch on RHDN just fine. It's just Project Naga that doesn't work.

I've personally tested all the translations for Fire Emblem

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well, Project Naga is in fact the FE4 patch, so...!
So Star Ocean isn't working now, but will be in the future?

I had heard it had *some* latency, but you're saying it's significant... Is it anything I'd notice playing an SRPG?

If you are not sensitive to input lag, and are not going to play any action or shooting games, then you'll be fine using retroarch. Just drag and drop the retroarch module, and the snes9x one. On hakchi, where the command line is, add this in the end: -retroarch to have the game load with it specifically. You can tell if it's running with RA because in the game, if you press Start + Select, it should open the RA menu.

Oct 25, 2017
No, absolutely not.

Retroarch will serve you just fine for any game, but keep in mind on -why- most of us prefer to not use it for our SNES games.
Okay; I'm not aware of any games that are action heavy that I'd want to use it on, but it'd still have been annoying if there was a delay when moving around the map.
So setting up Retroarch for FE4, is that something that would take a lot of time? Or just a few minutes tweaking some "preference" type of stuff? I'd imagine there's some more or less premade configs for this device.

Now if only someone could actually make a good FE5 translation patch. -_- I can play without it, but I tend to skip a lot of text out of laziness lol.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Is the one available on RHDN (Shaya) terrible? I know the Fire Emblem games are like expert-level in terms of hacking and translating so its not easy to just crank one out.

Oct 25, 2017
Is the one available on RHDN (Shaya) terrible? I know the Fire Emblem games are like expert-level in terms of hacking and translating so its not easy to just crank one out.
I've never actually used an FE5 translation (in part since when I care I can 'more or less' read it anyway), but as I understand it, there's one patch that does a fairly good job of menu translation, and one that does a fairly good job of conversation translation, but none that does both well; and worse yet, using one patch will make the rest of the text that it doesn't translate into garbled messy garbage that puts me off using either since I'd rather read everything kind of well than read half of it very well.