• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Hm. Yeah, so the SD3 issue is pretty bad. It does seem to be only on outdoor areas, where there was never a gamma problem. On indoor areas, where there was, it's fine. Though after going in and out multiple times, my normal music began acting up, as you can hear in this video. But you can still see the difference between opening the menu outdoors and indoors.

(This is totally unpatched and just using 1016)

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hm. Yeah, so the SD3 issue is pretty bad. It does seem to be only on outdoor areas, where there was never a gamma problem. On indoor areas, where there was, it's fine. Though after going in and out multiple times, my normal music began acting up, as you can hear in this video. But you can still see the difference between opening the menu outdoors and indoors.

(This is totally unpatched and just using 1016)

Try removing the border and see if that helps out (and use no-lowlatency).

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
-no-lowlatency was enabled, but I did a borderless one too.

Performs fine in lo-res, by the by, none of this stuttery nonsense.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I see. Well, I guess people are going to have to play it like that or use Retroarch. Unless someone optimizes the game, there's no other way.

Eyothrie

Oct 27, 2017
You can find all the patches on the community doc (read the OP).

Or you can use SFROM Tool that has all the patches in one package (read the OP).

And if you're new, read the OP.

What does it mean when a game on the community doc has a preset ID (e.g. Actraiser), and what does it mean when a game on the doc doesn't (e.g. DKC2)? I didn't see the preset ID thing explained in the OP.

I really just want to add Actraiser, Final Fantasy 2, Chrono Trigger, DKC2, and DKC3 (all US versions), and I'm not sure if using that SFROM tool is needed in my case

Actraiser has a preset ID of 100A
FF2/4 has a preset ID of 1095
Chrono Trigger has a preset ID of 110C
DKC2 - no preset ID
DKC3 - no preset ID

They all show as "Working" (US versions)

Appreciate the help!

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What does it mean when a game on the community doc has a preset ID (e.g. Actraiser), and what does it mean when a game on the doc doesn't (e.g. DKC2)? I didn't see the preset ID thing explained in the OP.

I really just want to add Actraiser, Final Fantasy 2, Chrono Trigger, DKC2, and DKC3 (all US versions), and I'm not sure if using that SFROM tool is needed in my case

DKC2 - no preset ID
DKC3 - no preset ID

Appreciate the help!

When adding the games with hakchi press CTRL+ALT+E to enter the ID. I don't know what list you are looking at because the community doc doesn't have those IDs, Robin's doc does. But Robin's doc does have IDs for DKC2&3.

When adding, notice how the IDs start with a 10 or an 11? When entering into hakchi you have to flip them. For example, 1095 becomes 9510. If a game does not have an ID listed, then it will be 0000.

Or just use the roms with SFROM Tool and it will automatically add the known working IDs correctly for you, plus patch the games with whatever patches have been made to fix issues. If you add IDs using SFROM Tool, then you can enter them the correct way (starting with 10 or 11).
After you create those SNES Classic roms (called .sfrom), then you can drop them into hakchi.

Robin64 could you please rename your doc to something like "Robin64's SNES Mini Compatibility List" or something? That way people not familiar with the 3 docs can identify it by name.

Last edited:

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
Only just read the replies regarding the SD3 issue and yeah, the videos show exactly what I was talking about.

I see. Well, I guess people are going to have to play it like that or use Retroarch. Unless someone optimizes the game, there's no other way.

I read Sluffy's reply to your post, it will be interesting to see if a fix is possible when (or if) he takes a look. Sounds like it will be pretty cut and dry as to whether anything can be done.

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
The SD3 issue is exaggerated af tbh. Looks playable to me.

It's perfectly playable and limited to a few instances (it seems) but there's nothing wrong with trying to bring everything up to maximum performance and compatibility, especially for gems such as SD3.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The SD3 issue is exaggerated af tbh. Looks playable to me.

It's a minor issue yes, but that's one of the games I want to run flawlessly, really. I could give a damn if games like Lion King are literally vomiting you through the controller. They could explode for all I care. So if I can push to get SD3 running flawlessly on Canoe, then I will try :P

demi

Oct 27, 2017

DKC2 - no preset ID
DKC3 - no preset ID

Appreciate the help!

These preset IDs on Robin's sheet are what are assigned when Nintendo released these games on Virtual Console (either in JPN or NA usually). What they actually DO is up in the air, or if they are even needed period.

The short answer is that you do not need the tool to add any of those games you want. I do not use this tool and none of my games have shown questionable issues no more than a game which has been added via the tool has.

But the tool does streamline the confusing work with Preset IDs and Patches and whatnot, which Robin has done a good job keeping on top of. Use whatever you want.

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
Hmm, having a bit of a issue, I finally got the NES classic installed on my SNES classic (my games that I tried adding in are absent, oh well), but when I hit reset to go back to the NES menu, it gives me a C8 error as it goes back to the menu, not allowing me to save my progress. What have I done wrong with this? What can I do to save progress in NES games?

OH NEVER MIND, I'm a dummy, I use SELECT and DOWN to save, not flipping the switch like before.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The creator of the music shuffle mod responded on Reddit saying that CE was the preferred version of Hackchi to use, though they also said normal Hackchi would work as well. They didn't answer whether I could cleanly move over from 2.21f to CE without losing any of my data or settings, though.

What are the advantages of CE anyway?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
It feels like Hakchi and the CE ed group are going to have their separate versions merged any day now... and all of these "which version" issues will dissipate. That'd be nice.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The main reason I went to CE wasn't actually SFROM Tool. I still prefer using that seperately, and 2.21f is fine with that method.

It was for these two small features:

DUHpvhb.png

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Those are some carefully drawn arrows, did you draw'em yourself?

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
The main reason I went to CE wasn't actually SFROM Tool. I still prefer using that seperately, and 2.21f is fine with that method.

It was for these two small features:

DUHpvhb.png

Sadly the save count always sets to 0 if you add via sfrom tool integrated. I mentioned it to DarkAkuma earlier in the thread so hopefully it gets fixed at some point.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Those are some carefully drawn arrows, did you draw'em yourself?

Haha, just an MS Paint shape.

It being set to 0 sounds like a bug. That's not something SFROM Tool controls in any way (it's part of the .desktop file, which SFROM Tool doesn't generate), so something in hakchi is wrong there. Might be worth a github submit.

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
Yeah I probably should do that and mention the database.xml generation issue too, it would be cool if the sfrom tool integration could be improved a little as personally I like the 'all-in-oneness'.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I do believe DarkAkuma's current WIP build of the Tool has the database.xml generation fixed when something access the program via command line, ie, hakchi integration. It also has more console output in hakchi CE's second text-filled window, telling you what's going on.

TeenTin

Mar 14, 2018
May I ask whether the game : Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden (1) Japanese Version is working well or not ?

I do not test it myself because I don't have the system yet. But if this game is working well, I will get the system for playing this game.

Thank you very much indeed.

Oct 25, 2017
So, I guess my SFC Mini is in a bit of a weird spot, and I don't know how to fix it.

I tried going for the multiboot option, but found that once I booted into the Famicom Mini FW, I got stuck there -- I couldn't get back to SFC, and trying to open Hakchi would only let me flash the SFC side of things, but not let me get back to it. Trying to modify the FC side left me with no joy; it would just complain that I was using an SFC, not an FC.

So after lots of trying to clear off Hakchi altogether, I've got it booting into fully stock SFC, no added games nor the English mod, but if I try to flash the custom firmware onto it, the SFC will go straight to "Shutting Down", without doing anything else. So clearly, I've somehow fucked up something that Hakchi uses, but not Stock, but don't know how to fix that.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I had a bad time trying to migrate to CE and found 2.21f to be perfectly fine. I don't plan on changing anytime soon and I think once Star Ocean is done, I'm done as well (other than trying new fixes). the one thing CE has that 2.221f doesn't that I liked was the ability to remove the original games. My ROM of SMAS also has world on it so I don't need both games, and I prefer SSFII to SFIITE so I'd like to get rid of that as well.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
You're not actually "removing" the games though, its just hiding them.

Pretty sure 2.21f does that too . . . ?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At this point all I want to know is whether I need to move past 2.21f in order to use USB storage. If I don't have to update, then I'll skip all this CE mess until it's more optimized. I already put a lot of time patching games, boxart and other settings that I don't want to have to start over.

My USB card and dongle comes in today, so if someone could kindly link me the guide to get the external storage working, I'd appreciate it.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Pretty sure we've been able to hide games since the first release. In fact I know we have because one of the first things I did was replace FFIII with FFVI.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
May I ask whether the game : Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden (1) Japanese Version is working well or not ?

I do not test it myself because I don't have the system yet. But if this game is working well, I will get the system for playing this game.

Thank you very much indeed.

The european version was reported working just fine. If nobody beats me to it, I'll test the JPN version specifically after work tonight.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Recently playing some of the stock games (and I've checked on a friend's unmodded system too, it's not hakchi), I've noticed that even some of those seem to reach some of Canoe's limits and cause little sound glitches. In Super Mario RPG, whenever you open the X menu, it often happens that the audio's pitch drops/skews ever slightly during the transition. In Yoshi's Island, there is a tiny audio skip/pop whenever the attract mode transitions back to the Title Screen.

They're not dealbreakers or anything mind you, but it's kind of disappointing to not have *perfect* emulation of those games when it's so damn close.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
You'll trigger byuu if you consider Canoe remotely close to perfect emulation

I know Canoe is far from perfect. We know for a fact that it's hacky as hell. But what I mean is that the end-result of the stock games being on there is near flawless save for those tiny sound glitches and the infamous touch fuzzy background glitch. I've yet to find any other inaccuracy problem in any of the stock games.

Oct 25, 2017
So, I guess my SFC Mini is in a bit of a weird spot, and I don't know how to fix it.

I tried going for the multiboot option, but found that once I booted into the Famicom Mini FW, I got stuck there -- I couldn't get back to SFC, and trying to open Hakchi would only let me flash the SFC side of things, but not let me get back to it. Trying to modify the FC side left me with no joy; it would just complain that I was using an SFC, not an FC.

So after lots of trying to clear off Hakchi altogether, I've got it booting into fully stock SFC, no added games nor the English mod, but if I try to flash the custom firmware onto it, the SFC will go straight to "Shutting Down", without doing anything else. So clearly, I've somehow fucked up something that Hakchi uses, but not Stock, but don't know how to fix that.
Regarding this issue, does anyone know a way to fully "clean" hakchi? Or a way to just resolve it going straight to "Shutting Down..." on boot if I install the hakchi kernel?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone test this alleged Chrono Trigger issue? Make sure you use its official ID.

A reddit guy:
"I've just got an issue on Chrono Trigger. If you keep entering on menu (press X) and quit afterwards (press B) repeatedly the song that is playing hangs."

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Can anyone test this alleged Chrono Trigger issue? Make sure you use its official ID.

A reddit guy:
"I've just got an issue on Chrono Trigger. If you keep entering on menu (press X) and quit afterwards (press B) repeatedly the song that is playing hangs."

My first response would be "Well don't do that, then."

I'm home in a few, I'll check it out.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My first response would be "Well don't do that, then."

I'm home in a few, I'll check it out.

Saw this reply on reddit regarding soul blazer:
"Because nobody has confirmed if it affects the ending cutscene or not yet."

I have that note in my doc because every game that fixed C7 crashes by ID 1068, also had missing backgrounds during cutscenes. But sluffy said that those games, even using ID 0000, had there no been crashes, the cutscenes would still be missing the backgrounds. Thus, it's not an ID 1068 created issue. So Soul Blazer should be fine since it never had C7 crashes or missing cutscene backgrounds in the first place. I still have that note because I still want to check it out just to be absolutely certain. The save I've posted before has a portal to the last boss if you want to test it out yourself since I won't be able to do any testing until I fix my TV.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I'll check it too, though I've already put a .cnp in the Pack now, considering it ret 2 go as I figured it would be something like that.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ok. Just enter the orange portal and choose "move", go to the area on top of the map, and take the right portal. That should drop you right before the last boss' entrance. Make sure you equip the latest armor since that save is wearing a different one.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Ramblings of a friend trying the Chrono Trigger thing:

Nothing yet, but I'm not sure why it would even, because the music doesn't change when you bring up the menu
Hah, I see what the problem is and I bet it's not canoe related
I made it happen by hammering X and B as I went over a music load transition
It's possible to keep it from playing the new song while you're on the menu and once, but only once, I got it to never bring the new tune up
I would be astonished if that's Canoe only, frankly, and even if it was... NBF
Well even trying, I've only made it happen once
Oooh, that's interesting
That time I got the song to start halfway through by sitting on a silent menu for ages and then backing out
But we're talking dozens of attempts at playing the game in a non-standard way here

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I did the Chrono Trigger thing after reading that post too. It's a non-issue and I couldnt even reproduce it.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Man, people find the strangest shit. I swear some people just play games with the intention of breaking them. They should be beta testers and make actual money by fucking around.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not really, because they do it to get to the end faster (so it's justified). I'm talking about people that just like fucking around and breaking stuff.

Why would that Chrono guy find that issue if he wasn't fucking around? Why would you repeatedly enter and exit the menu while on a screen transition where the music just happened to change? It's just weird.

That's the kind of people companies want to test their games :P

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Well we should make sure that issue is never fixed so his experience with Chrono Trigger is absolutely unbearable