• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wxMak

Oct 27, 2017
The OP is pointing at Hakchi CE now. Try removing the Cluster Retroarch, then installing the Retroarch from here https://github.com/KMFDManic/NESC-SNESC-Modifications/releases/tag/v2.5-2018-2-10

You can just install _km_retroarch_170_2_10_18.hmod and one of the SNES ones, I'm not sure which is best, but you could try _km_snes9x2016_2_10_18.hmod first. You can drag the individual hmods into the "Install Extra Modules" window.
It worked perfectly. Thank you very much!

And yea the current english patch I am using is more complete. Didn't want to use the old one if I didnt have too.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
gingerbeardman

Sorry for the noob question but, If I want to update to the newest version of hakchi, does this tutorial still work?

http://snesclassicmods.com/how-to-update-hakchi2-for-snes-classic-mini/

(Want to got the CE v1.0.1 version, I'm still on v2.21f)
Yes. pretty much.

Two asides: it may ask you to flash original kernel - there is no need so press No at that prompt. And there may be an extra prompt at the end of the process asking to upgrade your hakchi (the part that lives on your SNESC) - do so.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
In other news sluffy has been busy and made a Canoe patch (to be uploaded soon) for Speedy Gonzales: Los Gatos Bandidos to fix the 6-1 switch issue.

There's a writeup about the how and why. It seems we can expect more hacks to fix compatibility with emulators, with a focus on Canoe.

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.0

Now this is great news. Ask him if he can fix Beavis and Butthead! I wager this is an easy one (Instant death on hit)

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you directly add the sfrom to hakchi or did you overwrite the file? A C7 error also occurs if the file name in hakchi is wrong.

flowsnake

Oct 25, 2017
When I updated from 2.21f to CE the usual way, it told me I only had about 50MB of space. Not sure why, but completely uninstalling and reinstalling fixed it.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I'm up and running, thanks to everyone for the help.

Some tidbits for those trying to run this from a VM:
--- Make sure your laptop is plugged in, especially for a Mac. macOS will under power ports if there is no power
--- If you flash the kernel, then power off the device and repower it back on hakchi wont see it even if the driver is installed. You have to force auto mount in VirtualBox. You can do this as such:
1. Power down the VM
2. Power on the SNES Classic in the debug mode (power+reset)
3. Go to the VM settings > Ports > USB
4. Set the USB mode to 2.0
5. Click on the USB icon with the + and add Onda (snes in the debug mode) as a filter
6. Power off the SNES and repower it back on normally
7. Repeat step 5, but this time for the Nintendo listing

This will allow the VM to auto detect & mount the SNES classic between the modes

Did you directly add the sfrom to hakchi or did you overwrite the file? A C7 error also occurs if the file name in hakchi is wrong.

I converted it, dragged the new sfrom to hakchi and sync. The finale name is just 'super tennis' so i dunno. As I said, it's working when forced with --retroarch so I'm good.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
TarpitCarnivore I've mentioned the double mode thing before, so thanks for listing the steps needed for VirtualBox.

I use VMware Fusion and it prompts you any time a new USB device is connected so it's a bit easier (one click in either SNESC mode)

Filename should be a full path usually ending with a file that has .7z extension?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know how to get in touch with sluffy but there's some comments on his canoe fixes

Got request to fix Beavis and Butthead (Canoe). Asking for a tester since emus don't trigger 1-hit death.

015F9C = 42 00
015FA8 = 42 00

If this works, will explain why it works.

Could someone (de)confirm Super Off Road (Canoe) glitched too?
https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmo...tially_useful_list_of_all_us_ntsc_games_that/

Looks like some Hex values that need to be changed? Would gladly test BnB

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Altered those values for Beavis and Butthead and now, interestingly, the game freezes when you get hit. The music continues, but the actual gameplay is locked up.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
How do you Commodore 64?
I forget if during the totally rad crack screens, those are loading screens or if you're supposed to button past them?
If the former, then how do you make it not emulate actual C64 load times?
If the latter, then how do you make the buttons do things?

Apparently .crt is supposed to be the preferable format? Can you convert others into that somehow?

Install the Vice core for retroarch. Disk swapping doesn't work so your best bets are single disk games or .crt images. People have made .crt images for use with the easy flash physical c64 device. Also C64 GS console will have games changed for menus to work without keyboard. Command line needs changing to c64 instead of d64 or crt.

Virtual keyboard is a bit flaky and seems not to register in certain game menus. You can also map snes controller buttons to keys directly in the retroarch quick menu options section (by setting Controller0 type to joystick). This helps to a point but you soon run out of buttons across various loaders (space, 1, F1, F3 etc...). F9 maps to the Vice virtual keyboard.

In summary it's all a bit of a pain if you want a full library but ok if you just want a few games.

I assume nobody has physical keyboards working through the power slot with a usb splitter? I assume any input device has to come from the front 2 controller ports?

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
SFROM Tool Expanded Support Patch Pack 1.0.4

Some of you may have noticed I've removed all instanced of "Use this patch" from my spreadsheet. The reason for this is that I have made a patch pack for SFROM Tool that will do every one of those things automatically when you add the ROM. So for example, if you add Secret of Evermore, it will set the Preset ID to 0x10EF to fix the audio. If you add Tetris and Dr Mario, it will apply the fix to fit within Canoe's borders. If you add Terranigma, it will apply the SlowROM fix and the NTSC conversion. And so on. I want to help DarkAkuma make SFROM Tool the only thing you'll ever really need, and this is a first step towards doing so.

If you want to add extra patches, such as the Seiken Densetsu 3 translation, then use SFROM Tool's IPS patch function. That is, always add the original ROM first before any hacks, then press F1 to bring up the Advanced Window and choose your IPS patch from there. Try not to load an already patched ROM into SFROM Tool, the checksums will be entirely different and it may not be recognised.

This first version of the pack contains support for the following 57 games:

Additional Preset IDs
Arcade's Greatest Hits - The Atari Collection
The Brainies
Chester Cheetah Wild Wild Quest
Jurassic Park
Secret of Evermore
Seiken Densetsu 3
SimCity 2000
SOS Sink or Swim
Spectre
Super Play Action Football

Canoe Fixes
Actraiser 2
Alien 3
Beavis and Butthead
Cacoma Knight in Bizyland
Dr. Mario
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden 2
Illusion of Gaia
Mario Paint
Mecarobot Golf
Robotrek
Speedy Gonzales
Super Baseball Simulator 1.000
Super Off-Road
Tetris & Dr. Mario

PAL to NTSC
Archer Maclean's Super Dropzone
Asterix
Asterix & Obelix
Cannon Fodder
Daze Before Christmas
Dino Dini's Soccer
Dirt Racer
F1 World Championship Edition
FIFA: Road to World Cup 98
The Humans
Hungry Dinosaurs
Jelly Boy
Kevin Keegan's Player Manager
Kick Off 3: European Challenge
Lucky Luke
Manchester United Championship Soccer
Marko's Magic Football
Micro Machines 2
Might and Magic II
Operation Starfish
Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
Power Drive
Putty Squad
Sensible Soccer European Champions
The Smurfs
The Smurfs Travel the World
Spirou
Super Dany
Super International Cricket
Super Morph
Terranigma
Tintin in Prisoners of the Sun
Tintin in Tibet
Turbo Toons
Virtual Soccer
Waterworld
Winter Gold

Download the pack here and unzip the contents to SFROM Tool's "patches" folder. When the patches have been added, delete the database.xml file from the SFROM Tool's root directory.

Note: Requires SFROM Tool 1.1.0.0 or higher.

Edit: Added the newly created Alien³, Beavis and Butthead, and Speedy Gonzales patches to the .zip file.
Edit: Added Super Off-Road and Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden 2.

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
^ I imagine things get tricky when dealing with headered ROMS or patches that require them. Or does SFROM Tool account for that?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
^ I imagine things get tricky when dealing with headered ROMS or patches that require them. Or does SFROM Tool account for that?

It doesn't, though we did discuss it there didn't seem to be a feasible way to handle them. Headered ROMs are the devil, and any patch that requires one should be burnt at the stake.

However, there is a tool that will remove header requirements from IPS patches. If you get a patch that claims to require a header, run this on it first: https://github.com/heuripedes/ipsbehead/releases

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Alien 3 cursor! This sluffy guy is good!

Dd9ZtcL.png

Last edited:

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
I tried passing along that DBZ:SB2 should be looked into, since I explored it all I can myself and concluded that no preset id alone will help, and there isn't a VC patch. But I guess no luck with that one.

If were talking about personal favorites with issues, then maybe..

pAyN3D0.png

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
SFROM Tool Expanded Support Patch Pack 1.0

Some of you may have noticed I've removed all instanced of "Use this patch" from my spreadsheet. The reason for this is that I have made a patch pack for SFROM Tool that will do every one of those things automatically when you add the ROM. So for example, if you add Secret of Evermore, it will set the Preset ID to 0x10EF to fix the audio. If you add Tetris and Dr Mario, it will apply the fix to fit within Canoe's borders. If you add Terranigma, it will apply the SlowROM fix and the NTSC conversion. And so on. I want to help DarkAkuma make SFROM Tool the only thing you'll ever really need, and this is a first step towards doing so.

If you want to add extra patches, such as the Seiken Densetsu 3 translation, then use SFROM Tool's IPS patch function. That is, always add the original ROM first before any hacks, then press F1 to bring up the Advanced Window and choose your IPS patch from there. Try not to load an already patched ROM into SFROM Tool, the checksums will be entirely different and it may not be recognised.

This first verison of the pack contains support for the following 56 games:

Additional Preset IDs
Arcade's Greatest Hits - The Atari Collection
The Brainies
Chester Cheetah Wild Wild Quest
Jurassic Park
Secret of Evermore
Seiken Densetsu 3
SimCity 2000
SOS Sink or Swim
Spectre
Super Play Action Football

Canoe Fixes
Actraiser 2
Alien 3
Cacoma Knight in Bizyland
Dr. Mario
Illusion of Gaia
Mario Paint
Mecarobot Golf
Robotrek
Super Baseball Simulator 1.000
Tetris & Dr. Mario

PAL to NTSC
Archer Maclean's Super Dropzone
Asterix
Asterix & Obelix
Cannon Fodder
Daze Before Christmas
Dino Dini's Soccer
Dirt Racer
F1 World Championship Edition
FIFA: Road to World Cup 98
The Humans
Hungry Dinosaurs
Jelly Boy
Kevin Keegan's Player Manager
Kick Off 3: European Challenge
Lucky Luke
Manchester United Championship Soccer
Marko's Magic Football
Micro Machines 2
Might and Magic II
Operation Starfish
Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
Power Drive
Putty Squad
Sensible Soccer European Champions
The Smurfs
The Smurfs Travel the World
Spirou
Super Dany
Super International Cricket
Super Morph
Terranigma
Tintin in Prisoners of the Sun
Tintin in Tibet
Turbo Toons
Virtual Soccer
Waterworld
Winter Gold

Download the pack here and unzip the contents to SFROM Tool's "patches" folder. When the patches have been added, delete the database.xml file from the SFROM Tool's root directory.

Note: Requires SFROM Tool 1.1.0.0 or higher.

Happy to see that you can finally release this! ! =)

LegendofTrey

Oct 27, 2017
If I update my Hackchi to the newest version (currently on 2.20) will it mess up anything with my SNES classic that was modded on 2.20?

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to change the CRT Filter to be more like the one on the NES? This may be an unpopular opinion but I actually preferred the blurrier, composite-like filter on the NES. The SNES one looks kind of "wrong" but I can't quite put my finger on it.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
SFROM Tool Expanded Support Patch Pack 1.0

This first version of the pack contains support for the following 57 games:

This is awesome! Thanks, Robin.

Quick question: I've noticed that the "Canoe Fix" patches don't show up as check box items in the tool, in the same way that, say, the NTSC patch for Terranigma or the VC/PCM patches show up. Are they just applied automatically?

Edit: I was making an Illusion of Gaia sfrom, if that matters.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Edit: I was making an Illusion of Gaia sfrom, if that matters.

Illusion of Gaia should just tick the SlowROM Fix box. That should be enough for it. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Edit: Woops, I messed up the header name that SFROM was looking for. Updated the .zip with the fixed patch now, just redownload it (and delete database.xml).

Last edited:

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
The SlowRom box wasn't being ticked. So, I double checked your patch files, and it seems like the patch is missing? In your notes, Illusion of Gaia is listed as SNS-JQ, but there's no corresponding .cnp file.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
An ooooooooold post reply here. But just wondering whether anyone knew of any packs of SNES sprites already out there? Robin's pack is also fantastic. Looking to fill in some blanks in the collection - especially in the weirder Japanese titles category.

I don't think anyone besides Robin and myself (inspired by him) have even thought of doing these. :)

If it's only a couple games you need, post their titles and I might cook some for you. Otherwise, I can teach you how to do them yourself if you want, it's pretty easy.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Robin64 I read the note you left on your doc about Super Off Road. I don't know about the game in Canoe because I'm not going to add it (I'm tapped out), but if you play the game on emulators, the computer will use Nitros immediately and constantly. It's really easy to test because the game takes place in one screen, so you constantly see what the computer does.

So if you have the game on Canoe and the computer is not using Nitros a few seconds after you start, then there's a problem.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any known work arounds yet for the issues with Hakchi and Ryzen processors?
I tried to hack my SNES Mini over the weekend and just got "Could not write to USB" errors the whole time, which apparently is because of my Ryzen CPU?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
People reporting ways they got it working here. Worth a shot.
Thanks! Got it working.
For some reason this guy's fix also worked for me.

Yeah drivers are installed. So I fiddled around with it. Tried all 10 usb ports on my PC with the cable no luck. Then I unplugged my keyboard, retried a USB 2.0 port and it worked. No idea how or why but I was happy.

Unplugged the SNES Mini, unplugged my keyboard, plugged the SNES Mini back in and it all worked fine. Bizarre.