• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Just de-select the games you don't see yourself playing long term in Hakchi then re-sync, if you have the urge to play then check it again and sync. Even with 150 games on your system you will get choice paralysis very easy.

"So many to pick, what do I want to play... too many options... guess I'll go play something else instead"

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Thanks, but I didn't mean how technically, but how as in how do I decide what game stays and what game goes.
Guess I could start with what games I find most frustrating - even good ones can be impenetarable - though save states can help with that.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I said that though - what do you see yourself keeping on there long term? What did you add out of curiosity, if only to try maybe once or twice?

Even for a curated list 250 is a lot

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Yeah, a lot of it is just pure nostalgia, the comforting feeling of how SNES sprites look. It scratches a very specific itch.
Should be able to get rid of some that don't have that look/feel.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Also depending on whether you are using Retroarch or Canoe (built-in emulator) there may be issues that prevent the game from being fully playable - not sure if you've read up on that before adding these games

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Yeah, even though I was able to get all games up and running with various cores/emulators, not all of them run glitch-free, so I can whittle them down by getting rid of the ones that have glitches.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Yeah, even though I was able to get all games up and running with various cores/emulators, not all of them run glitch-free, so I can whittle them down by getting rid of the ones that have glitches.
Nothing wrong with having a full system. Obviously you need to save room for save states, but it's possible to get 200+ games on the SNES Classic before that becomes an issue (especially with the latest hakchiCE 3.8, which frees up an extra 80ish megabytes of space).

Of the games you do have, hardly ANY need retroarch to run. Check back here and at the compatibility list to see all the hard work that was done to patch them. As you can see from the SFROM Mega Pack, there are at least 290 absolutely classic SNES games that can run on the Classic without Retroarch (many need patches) and without glitches.

Last edited:

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Okay, with some spare time during quarantine, I hacked my SNES mini (and the Genesis one), and now it has 250 games on it!
Not random ones either - curated from games I love, to games I never played and wanted to, including lots of import games, along with some modded games.
But my issue is that 250 is too many, and no I don't have enough space for save-states. I don't really want to go the thumb-drive route, so now I need to whittle down that 250 to about 150 of my favorites. But there's a lot of good stuff even in those weaker 100 games...
So, how would you guys go about paring down the number of games?

Have you tried installing the canoe save state compression mod? It greatly reduces the size of canoe save states. It can be found here. Generally it'll compress a 2 MB save state to 300 KB.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
seems Ganbare Goemon 4 and the Ebisu spin-off game were finally 100% english-translated, but their patches won't be hosted on RHDN due to what happened earlier in the year

what a sad state of affairs

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
seems Ganbare Goemon 4 and the Ebisu spin-off game were finally 100% english-translated, but their patches won't be hosted on RHDN due to what happened earlier in the year

what a sad state of affairs

Has this been stated anywhere? I've noticed they didn't make it to RHDN, but I haven't heard of any reason why. Or if it's RHDN's decision or DDS Translation's decision.

Last edited:

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Can confirm that the three new translations of Goemon all work fine on the SNES Classic (once patched).

The whole debacle over the previous translation was such a sad thing to watch. Though I am extremely appreciative that these translations have been done, I don't think the team doing it deserve much sympathy for the way they responded to criticism. If it's true that they aren't hosting them at romhacking, then they are even more pathetic than I previously thought.

Romhacking came out in full support of the trans community after the last patches caused such an uproar. I can only assume that the team are throwing a tantrum in response to that (if it is true they are not going to host them there).

It's some real 'gamergate' level childish nonsense.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Excusing Transphobia
Their work, their choice

Just like it is your choice to willingly use their work despite sitting here calling them pathetic childish and other sorts of words

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No point in defending the translation group/person, really. They banned me from their Twitter account even though I never said anything. Why was I banned? Because I'm on ResetEra. They consider it "cancer".

I don't agree the way things got so out of control that last time, as if the translator had an agenda to offend certain groups, but demonizing ResetEra and banning anyone that comes from the forum and not hosting the patch on RH (assuming it was his decision) then yeah, that's pretty petty and childish.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
One screenshot in and it's already showcasing exactly why I tend to hate these kinds of fan translations. "Get going!" ... Really? That sounds robotic-literal-translation as fuck. Doesn't fit the intent that you'd expect from something in a game title/title screen. Any professional translator would've used "Let's go!" instead.

Hell, even Google Translate recommends "Let's go!". smh.

Pv7nfR2.png

Last edited:

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Cool I hope you understand then
Yeah I understand that, while their translation work is appreciated, their attitude fucking sucks and I wish they were better. Their work, their choice, absolutely. And my choice is to say their response to genuine criticism was pathetic and childish.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
One screenshot in and it's already showcasing exactly why I tend to hate these kinds of fan translations. "Get going!" ... Really? That sounds robotic-literal-translation as fuck. Doesn't fit the intent that you'd expect from something in a game title/title screen. Any professional translator would've used "Let's go!" instead.

Hell, even Google Translate recommends "Let's go!". smh.

Pv7nfR2.png

Google Translate is wrong, though. You can argue that "Get going!" doesn't sound good, but saying that they're not professional enough and then using Google Translate as your evidence is kind of silly. Not that I really want to defend these guys, but I'd rather criticize them accurately.

Soreyuke is probably being used more like a command, where you're telling someone else to get going. The implication made by using that phrase might be something along the lines of "You've had it easy until now, Ebisumaru, but now you're the one who has to take the lead!" It might sound bad to you as-is, but just rounding it down to "Let's go" would result in a much larger loss of meaning. They probably went through several options for what to call it, and "Get going" sounded okay, retained the proper meaning, and fit within the available space. I might have gone with "Move out!" or "Look alive!" or "Up and at 'em!" or "Sally forth!" or any number of other possible choices, but I think the choice of "Get going" isn't really worth criticism under the circumstances.

A fan translator's job isn't to create a product that perfectly appeals to the target market. If that's what you want, you should be asking Konami to create that product. A fan translator's task is to preserve an existing game in a way that makes it available to more people. It should be expected that the translations will be more direct.

zoboomafoo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can I have a summary of the Goemon translation controversy?

EDIT: Oh so if I understand correctly, some of you are defending their ""right"" to use the word "tranny" in their translation? lol, fuck off.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how you came up with that conclusion, there is already a thread dedicated to the original issue that has nothing to do with these current translations

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Goemon 4 is this one.

The spinoff is called Get Going! Ebisumaru - The Mechanical Maze, and it's a very different game from the Goemon games.
Not quite. There were 4 main Goemon games for the Super Famicom, and then the puzzle spin off. Now all translated:

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018

....I don't see where the disagreement comes from?

But it's good to have all the games listed there, regardless.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
edit: just read your post back and realised I must have misread it originally. oooops. You were of course right

Last edited:

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Wow. Demi received a ban for excusing transphobia in his comments here. Resetera mods are not messing around. Huge respect for standing up for the trans community, and acting on it.

Online forums (and for some reason, gaming forums in particular) can and do easily descend into this kind of dismissive banter, which only hides and therefore enables the very real acts of persecution being dismissed. I hope Demi takes this ban as an opportunity to really consider why his comment was deemed unacceptable, and to rethink why the behaviour and attitude of the translators was toxic and enabling. If he - like the translators - further dismisses why his actions were toxic, and doubles down on his position, he will be doing himself, and the respect he has received in this community a disservice.

It's all about making and retaining a strong community where everyone is welcome. Again, I hold my hands up to the ResetEra mods for putting that first.

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
All the Goemon translations are officially on romhacking. Very glad to see the rumours of their absence were just rumours.
Apparently you can submit patches and updates to RHDN without being the original author of said patches.
RHDN for their part checked with DDS first to see if it was okay to post, and they were fine with it but maintaining them will be the responsibility of the submitter. They def weren't planning to submit it themselves. source

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
what do people like for classic looking bluetooth controllers? 8BitDo seems to have original looking 2.4G controllers, or wild looking BT controllers with sticks and such. I just want an OG looking SNES controller that connects via bluetooth. My only option may be the internal replacement board.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
what do people like for classic looking bluetooth controllers? 8BitDo seems to have original looking 2.4G controllers, or wild looking BT controllers with sticks and such. I just want an OG looking SNES controller that connects via bluetooth. My only option may be the internal replacement board.
The 8bitdo Bluetooth controllers are great. But apparently the 2.4g are better in terms of lag etc.

I have a Bluetooth 8bitdo and an internal Nincade which means I don't have to use a plug in receiver. Has always worked extremely well for me.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017

I have the DIY kits and they're great. It's a better option than their controllers because they haven't quite got the d-pad down for SNES yet.

DiortemX

Nov 28, 2017
Has anyone tried using an NES controller adapter to play zapper games? I saw that neslcdmod.com has patches for NES games to work on modern TVs and I am curious if they could actually be played on an NES Classic.

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried using an NES controller adapter to play zapper games? I saw that neslcdmod.com has patches for NES games to work on modern TVs and I am curious if they could actually be played on an NES Classic.

This wouldn't work for a number of reasons to my understanding, the main one being that the emulator that runs on the classic has no idea what a NES zapper is or how to connect to one.

The patched roms detailed on the above link require an actual NES, or something very close to an actual NES. The NES classic isn't one of those things.

DiortemX

Nov 28, 2017
This wouldn't work for a number of reasons to my understanding, the main one being that the emulator that runs on the classic has no idea what a NES zapper is or how to connect to one.

The patched roms detailed on the above link require an actual NES, or something very close to an actual NES. The NES classic isn't one of those things.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

The switch SNES controllers and the 8bitdo receivers with the latest patch are apparently fully functional, unfortunately they're sold out on nintendo store again.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Not that there was ever a problem with it, but for the sake of full documentation, today's NSO update has confirmed US Super Mario All-Stars' PID to be 10E7. Cheers to DarkAkuma for digging into this.