• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lunch_box

Nov 5, 2017
Apologies if this has been explained previously...

How easy is it to install cps1/2 roms, is there a guide somewhere? I'm familiar with adding new snes games but have not tried (or seen how to) add different cores for emulators etc

Thanks

SWChris

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to wrap my head about the USB Host mod. Do you have to run all games off the USB host if you run it, or can you have some games running off the SNES Classic and some running off a USB stick at the same time? The latter would be ideal for me because I want to play some randomizer roms but I don't want to have a bunch of randomizer roms sitting around on my system when I pull it out of a dusty old box in 10 years. I could have the games I intend to keep on the system, and the ones that are expendable on the USB stick.

I have this vague idea that I could make it work this way with dual booting.... true?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm trying to wrap my head about the USB Host mod. Do you have to run all games off the USB host if you run it, or can you have some games running off the SNES Classic and some running off a USB stick at the same time? The latter would be ideal for me because I want to play some randomizer roms but I don't want to have a bunch of randomizer roms sitting around on my system when I pull it out of a dusty old box in 10 years. I could have the games I intend to keep on the system, and the ones that are expendable on the USB stick.

I have this vague idea that I could make it work this way with dual booting.... true?

Not currently no. All games aside from the built in ROMS get loaded onto USB. Since the SNES Mini is reading the USB for memory instead of the on chip memory and I don't think you can tell the SNES to check both at once

SWChris

Oct 27, 2017
Not currently no. All games aside from the built in ROMS get loaded onto USB. Since the SNES Mini is reading the USB for memory instead of the on chip memory and I don't think you can tell the SNES to check both at once

Okay that's helpful. Thanks. So, assuming the USB host mod is already installed, what happens when I unplug the USB stick and turn on the system? Will I get a C8 error or will it look in the original location for games? Just wanting to check before I spend $10 on a USB adapter for a solution that may not work. :)

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It just looks in the original location. So only thing that happens with no USB is you get the stock SNES Mini

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't get Terranigma to work. I downloaded a pre-patched NTSC version and it loads but it hangs on a black screen after entering your name.

SWChris

Oct 27, 2017
It just looks in the original location. So only thing that happens with no USB is you get the stock SNES Mini
Great! So it's probably worth experimenting with then to see if I can mod the console without the host mod, install the USB Host mod on top, and then add randomizer games to the USB stick. I don't need all my games accessible at once. So I can just unplug the USB drive when I want to play them.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Great! So it's probably worth experimenting with then to see if I can mod the console without the host mod, install the USB Host mod on top, and then add randomizer games to the USB stick. I don't need all my games accessible at once. So I can just unplug the USB drive when I want to play them.

Hmm yeah that might work

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any Game Boy UI themes styled after this?
307664_front.jpg

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've updated our Compatability List to show the correct order for Preset IDs. This is how they show in SFROM Tool, and how they will (hopefully) show in future builds of Hakchi 2 CE. Most of these will auto-populate in SFROM Tool, but where it's an unofficial or uncomfirmed PID it won't. A future patch pack will populate those games too. So in the meantime, just have a quick check what the PID comes up as in SFROM Tool before making your file.

I have to admit I'm confused by this. Why was there a change? I upgraded to Hakchi 2 CE 1.01, but it looks like my PID's are in the old format (eg, my Jurassic Park has PID of A210 in Hakchi, but the Compatibility Chart shows 10A2. I have to go through these custom games and change the PIDs over? I'm not seeing any documentation about this outside of this thread, but it seems like kind of a big deal.

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
I have to admit I'm confused by this. Why was there a change? I upgraded to Hakchi 2 CE 1.01, but it looks like my PID's are in the old format (eg, my Jurassic Park has PID of A210 in Hakchi, but the Compatibility Chart shows 10A2. I have to go through these custom games and change the PIDs over? I'm not seeing any documentation about this outside of this thread, but it seems like kind of a big deal.

It was a preemptive change for a upcoming update for hakchi2 CE. He changed the bytes around to be in the proper order, as what hackchi2 previously and currently uses is the wrong order.

No changes need to be made to sfroms if they already have a preset id set. Either way, in the sfrom it's stored exactly in the order it needs to be. This is just a visual thing that should have been corrected months ago.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
It was a preemptive change for a upcoming update for hakchi2 CE. He changed the bytes around to be in the proper order, as what hackchi2 previously and currently uses is the wrong order.

No changes need to be made to sfroms if they already have a preset id set. Either way, in the sfrom it's stored exactly in the order it needs to be. This is just a visual thing that should have been corrected months ago.

So if we migrate to the Hakchi2CE, any PIDs set will be accurate as if we generated one in your SFROM tool?

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
So if we migrate to the Hakchi2CE, any PIDs set will be accurate as if we generated one in your SFROM tool?

I'll take it you mean "accurate byte order", as its stored inside the .sfrom. If so, then yes.

For example, if you input the ID 0xA210 in the current hakchi2 right now, and open the .sfrom with sfrom tool you will see it as 0x10A2. Same with the future hakchi2 CE when it uses sfrom Tool to make its sfroms.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question but it seems like there's several different variations of hackchi. Which one should I be using?

Oct 25, 2017
So, help me out here. I have gambatte and mgba cores installed. If I don't have the mgba core installed, my gameboy games wont even open. Mgba plays like shit with my romhacks, but if I manually close that core after it opens automatically, open gambette core and select my game, the gambatte core works perfectly. I want it to open that core by default from the main menu. However if I add --retroarch --core gambatte to the command line (or --retroarch --gambatte), it doesn't work. It still opens in mgba.

Where did I screw up? I'm on CE 1.0.1 with RA1.7.0-Feb5.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So, help me out here. I have gambatte and mgba cores installed. If I don't have the mgba core installed, my gameboy games wont even open. Mgba plays like shit with my romhacks, but if I manually close that core after it opens automatically, open gambette core and select my game, the gambatte core works perfectly. I want it to open that core by default from the main menu. However if I add --retroarch --core gambatte to the command line (or --retroarch --gambatte), it doesn't work. It still opens in mgba.

Where did I screw up? I'm on CE 1.0.1 with RA1.7.0-Feb5.

Try editing your command line arguments to this

- /bin/gambatte <rom> <clover_args>

That should tell the SNES to run that specific game with that specific emulator. Do that for all games you want to run with Gambatte

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else getting crashes in gambatte when exiting to the snesmini menu?, it is locking up every time for me.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I found this GameBoy based UI: https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/76n9wj/game_boy_classic_edition_skin_mod/

But it isn't really in the style you're after (also I notice they haven't skinned certain UI elements to match the GameBoy aesthetic).

Theming isn't something that's been discussed much on this forum.

I am highly interested in a GBA theme for SNES Classic and GB and GBC theme for NES classic. And also applying said themes to specific folders

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
So just a question. Is the menu text for Seiken Densetsu 3 supposed to look kind of janky like this? I have changed the preset ID to allow for the HD text. So the actual text in conversations look great and all but menu text looks ugly :P

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am highly interested in a GBA theme for SNES Classic and GB and GBC theme for NES classic. And also applying said themes to specific folders

I really want to do a system-specific theme for each system's folder and game border, while also maintaining a cohesion between them, if that's possible. This may not be the best community for discussing and sharing that stuff but I don't participate in other online communities outside Era. If I find any stuff I'll share it, though.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to do a system-specific theme for each system's folder and game border, while also maintaining a cohesion between them, if that's possible. This may not be the best community for discussing and sharing that stuff but I don't participate in other online communities outside Era. If I find any stuff I'll share it, though.
I don't think there'd be anything wrong with discussing theming, it's just no one has shown much interest until now ha ha

If it helps, Robin did post the UI sprite sheet some pages back, so you could look at that.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I got retroarch working but I have some questions.

1) How do you quit a game running in Retroarch? When I hit the reset button nothing happens. When I quit through the Retroarch menu it freezes. If I hit the power switch nothing happens.

The only way I have figured out how to quit a game is to unplug the power cord. Not at all ideal.

2) How do you get MAME/FBA games to load into hakchi? When I add the rom zips it asks me if what file to add from the zip or if I want to add it as an archive. I tried adding as an archive but hakchi doesn't seem to recognize the file as anything.

3) Is there any way to save the retroarch settings per game or universally? For example, I want my Game Boy games to have the coloring on auto and the bilinear filter turned off without having to do it manually every time

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So just a question. Is the menu text for Seiken Densetsu 3 supposed to look kind of janky like this? I have changed the preset ID to allow for the HD text. So the actual text in conversations look great and all but menu text looks ugly :P

Could you please take a screenshot using hakchi so I can get a better look. But right now, that looks like low-res text. Are you sure you used 0x1016 (1610 in hakchi) and not 0x1017 (1710 in hakchi)?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found this GameBoy based UI: https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/76n9wj/game_boy_classic_edition_skin_mod/

But it isn't really in the style you're after (also I notice they haven't skinned certain UI elements to match the GameBoy aesthetic).

Theming isn't something that's been discussed much on this forum.

That's still great and good enough for me.

But I feel stupid because I'm not seeing a way to download the files, I just see the imgur link...

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Ohhhh maybe I need to have 1610 in the field instead? I wish the compatibility list should us the actual number to put in instead :P

Well we recommend using .sfrom Tool these days, where the numbers are correct. It's hakchi that has them backwards.

I'd like to clarify, too, that it's not just the correct Preset IDs that .sfrom Tool has over hakchi, there are many aspects of the file format that hakchi gets wrong. The Preset ID is just one thing that's visible to users, but there is a lot more going on under the hood that hakchi also doesn't do right and while your ROMs may well run, it doesn't mean you won't experience problems at some point.

So yes, generate your .sfrom with .sfrom Tool, then import that file into hakchi and never touch the PID window in hakchi ever.

That's still great and good enough for me.

But I feel stupid because I'm not seeing a way to download the files, I just see the imgur link...

http://classicmods.net/repo/gameboy_classic_ui.hmod

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Well we recommend using .sfrom Tool these days, where the numbers are correct. It's hakchi that has them backwards.

I'd like to clarify, too, that it's not just the correct Preset IDs that .sfrom Tool has over hakchi, there are many aspects of the file format that hakchi gets wrong. The Preset ID is just one thing that's visible to users, but there is a lot more going on under the hood that hakchi also doesn't do right and while your ROMs may well run, it doesn't mean you won't experience problems at some point.

So yes, generate your .sfrom with .sfrom Tool, then import that file into hakchi and never touch the PID window in hakchi ever.
Cool. I will do that! Thanks.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Just downloaded .sfrom tool from that site and tried unzipped it to run. Gave me an error upon opening it, hmmm... does the file need to be put into the hakchi folder or something to launch from there or am I missing something?

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What error are you getting? It should launch without a problem after you unzip it. No need to put it into a special folder or anything.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Just downloaded .sfrom tool from that site and tried unzipped it to run. Gave me an error upon opening it, hmmm... does the file need to be put into the hakchi folder or something to launch from there or am I missing something?

Just downloaded it myself to check, works fine. Though for the sake of ease, you might want to put a folder called "sfrom tool" in your hakchi folder, and put the contents in there, just so you know where it always is. But it should run fine anywhere. Try redownloading the file, maybe there was error.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
What error are you getting? It should launch without a problem after you unzip it. No need to put it into a special folder or anything.

Just downloaded it myself to check, works fine. Though for the sake of ease, you might want to put a folder called "sfrom tool" in your hakchi folder, and put the contents in there, just so you know where it always is. But it should run fine anywhere. Try redownloading the file, maybe there was error.

It could be that the app I used to unzip the files isn't the best app? I'm on Windows 10 and use an app called Z Opener to in-zip a RAR file. What's your recommended app to unzip a RAR file on Windows 10?
AMVDk3K.png

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Weird. Did you press anything to make that appear, or was it as soon as it launched? Looks like the checking for updates made it crash, but mine does it fine..

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Ok used WinRAR instead to unzip and now it seems to be working. Stupid Microsoft store and their apps lol...

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so best I can find through google is just that I am supposed to be exiting retroarch games through the retroarch menu, but if it's hanging then what am I doing wrong?

Same problem tested with a Genesis game and a Game Boy game. These are clean roms and the games work fine.

Edit: just tried again using Down + Select, same result. The entire system just freezes and I have to unplug it.

Just to be sure, tested a SNES game (using Canoe) and no problems reseting or exiting the game so this is just retroarch.

Having a hard time finding answers or even people posting the same problem via google.

Last edited:

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Had an issue with Tactics Ogre last night .

Beat the first mission and when it got to my spoils the game glitched, went to a black screen and froze. No button inputs would work. I could still reset and rewind and all that jazz. I just couldn't move past that point.

Bad rom, or something else?