• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
So I've hacked my Mini and have got it pretty much set up how I want it, but I have a couple of quick quetions:

1. I have 75 games in total and am not using any folders. When I turn the Mini off I get a C8 error and have to turn it on and off again to get it to shutdown. This is the only time I get this error. Is this likely to cause me problems (lost data, potential bricking, in game crashes, etc) if I just leave it like this and live with the annoyance of having to turn on and off everytime, or am I going to have to turn on folders to get rid of the error?

2. Am I a bad person for prefering the CRT filter? It just looks closer to how I remember SNES games looking. I have Retroarch installed although I only use it for one game that had audio problems; does Retroarh have filters that are even better than the built in CRT?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So I've hacked my Mini and have got it pretty much set up how I want it, but I have a couple of quick quetions:

1. I have 75 games in total and am not using any folders. When I turn the Mini off I get a C8 error and have to turn it on and off again to get it to shutdown. This is the only time I get this error. Is this likely to cause me problems (lost data, potential bricking, in game crashes, etc) if I just leave it like this and live with the annoyance of having to turn on and off everytime, or am I going to have to turn on folders to get rid of the error?

2. Am I a bad person for prefering the CRT filter? It just looks closer to how I remember SNES games looking. I have Retroarch installed although I only use it for one game that had audio problems; does Retroarh have filters that are even better than the built in CRT?

1. If you really don't mind the C8 error whenever you're done for the day, it won't actively delete save or anything. There may be stuff it does in an elegent shutdown that isn't being done here, though. Personally I wouldn't take the chance, I'd make folders for that many games.

2. Nope! It's a good filter.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

CRT filter is the truth

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I went ahead and made my first custom box art for an import title and I'm sharing it here. Feel free to share it elsewhere!

Battle Pinball is an awesome and little-known Japan-only Banpresto pinball game from the "Compati Hero Series" featuring licenses for Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Gundam

Ok, here's a quick one I did for the more popular import Umihara Kawase.

I wanted one with Romanji and the one I found was formatted to fill the whole square. To maintain consistency I reformatted it to the traditional box dimensions, added some flair with her foot poking over the frame and added the developer logo, too.

Nice work!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm having a bit of a hard time keeping up with this thread, but in short: should I wait until the next big hackchi update comes out, which supposedly has some of the features you guys are talking about?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks!

Okay, this one took a bit of work. I couldn't find ANY good scans of the art for Super Ultra Baseball 2.

Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 has a cult following in the West because it allows you to play with Ultra League teams that have crazy power ups. There were several sequels in Japan that never came West and they all improved on the first SNES game, though some were merely iterations with licensed players. Super Ultra Baseball 2 is pretty much the pinnacle of the "Ultra League" series on SNES with its gorgeous new engine.

Since Super Ultra Baseball 1, the sequel to Super Baseball Simulator 1.000, is redundant thanks to the superior successor, I used art from that game's box, which was easier to find in a decent resolution, and I created a number '2' and an English subtitle for the logo. You can always play the Western version of Super Baseball Simulator 1.000, which has its own box, if you want the original cult classic. Having all three games on the Mini seems rather superfluous, IMO.

Again, the source assets are terrible when viewed in the web browser but it looks good on the SNES Mini's UI.

There's an English fan translation for this game readily available. Play Super Ultra Baseball 2!!

yXpMJ4a.png

I actually really like the real art for Super Ultra Baseball 2's Japanese box, it's much more exciting to look at. If I can ever find a better scan I might remake this one.

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a bit of a hard time keeping up with this thread, but in short: should I wait until the next big hackchi update comes out, which supposedly has some of the features you guys are talking about?
I know I am. Batch converting will be nice and reduce the time I spend updating my own library.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Real Quick - I just added a whole bunch of SNES games and three of them don't show up on the Mini but Hakchi says they're in the library.

What could I have done wrong? What should I do to fix it?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I went ahead and made my first custom box art for an import title and I'm sharing it here. Feel free to share it elsewhere!

Battle Pinball is an awesome and little-known Japan-only Banpresto pinball game from the "Compati Hero Series" featuring licenses for Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Gundam

Battle%20Pinball%20(J).png

battlepinball2.gif

snes_battle_pinball_2.gif

B2w2OMqEA7BK6s0DfJ5BMCFm_Un6Dk7-rh9Uv-8fmidp1e1vKCLqkOcj-F3TZqEFOadTuDobVIfwz3BF-c7U=w1920-h937

tLGM3LO.png

I based the box on the original Japanese box art with the highest-resolution source image I could find (shown below). Since the Gundam is the most recognizable character in the West I cut him out and re-positioned him over that other guy. The source image is fairly lossy but it looks pretty great when displayed on the SNES Mini!
eTdP6Ih.png

qR3Upv4OqFF4M12td34zc7tCT9C65F8ZMfF51fGXrzATeXf9srilRPxvp0005pnc-yLJKV3PYJgtHSwmQ688=w1920-h937

Sorry I don't have a proper full English logo but maybe one day I'll make one and update it :)

So two things about this post

1 - It looks cool

2 - Clicking around on the dark web landed me on this tweet from optiroc (the guy who gave us Super Famicom Wars english) who is making a tutorial on SNES hacking using Battle Pinball as the game

https://twitter.com/Optiroc/status/953644361300037634

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
Best starting from scratch using Hakchi2 CE and the updated information in the OP. Games, folder art etc. can be transfered from your old hakchi to the CE version.

Edit: Aside from the sfrom tool (Link) there is really not that much of new stuff overall. The basic process didn't change. The rest (Retroarch, custom borders, hmods) is up to your personal taste.
Can I install it over the existing version or do I need to go back to the original state?

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks!

Okay, this one took a bit of work. I couldn't find ANY good scans of the art for Super Ultra Baseball 2.

Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 has a cult following in the West because it allows you to play with Ultra League teams that have crazy power ups. There were several sequels in Japan that never came West and they all improved on the first SNES game, though some were merely iterations with licensed players. Super Ultra Baseball 2 is pretty much the pinnacle of the "Ultra League" series on SNES with its gorgeous new engine.

Since Super Ultra Baseball 1, the sequel to Super Baseball Simulator 1.000, is redundant thanks to the superior successor, I used art from that game's box, which was easier to find in a decent resolution, and I created a number '2' and an English subtitle for the logo. You can always play the Western version of Super Baseball Simulator 1.000, which has its own box, if you want the original cult classic. Having all three games on the Mini seems rather superfluous, IMO.

Again, the source assets are terrible when viewed in the web browser but it looks good on the SNES Mini's UI.

There's an English fan translation for this game readily available. Play Super Ultra Baseball 2!!

I actually really like the real art for Super Ultra Baseball 2's Japanese box, it's much more exciting to look at. If I can ever find a better scan I might remake this one.
This looks kind of crazy, how is the season (if it exists) mode? game compare to Griffey? how 'crazy' are these ultra teams / powerups?

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
The guide you're referring to is usable for basically any hakchi build since the end of last year. I gave it a quick look yesterday and while it is definitely nice to have this small collection of guides, they are focusing mainly on getting you started.

Using DarkAkuma's sfrom tool is strongly promoted in this community to cope with a lot of flaws that remain in hakchi up to this day. It's not really complicated to use but maybe focusing more on 'advanced' users that want their roms as 'Nintendo would have probably made them'. So Robin's OP is a little bit more in depth without being overly complicated.
Cool! Thanks for the explanation! I'll use it from now on then!

Oct 28, 2017
Can I install it over the existing version or do I need to go back to the original state?
I don't think just installing it over the existing version will do it. I tried at first to flash the original kernel with hakchi 2.21f and then just flashing the new kernel of hakchi CE. Didn't work.

What worked for me:
1. Unzip the hakchi CE into a new folder.
2. Just copy your original kernel dump, snes_games and folder art from the hakchi 2.21f directory to the new hakchi CE directory.
(Export your existing saves)
3. Uninstall the old custom kernel and flash your original kernel.
4. Do a factory reset from within the SNES Mini while using the original kernel.
5. Flash the custom kernel of hakchi CE
6. Synchronize your games using hakchi CE.
(Import your existing saves)
7. Do all the rest (Retroarch, custom folders, whatever). ;)

Like I said, it's basically starting from scratch but at least you're not losing the work you put into your games collection and save games. And hopefully you're then all set for any future development since new tools and update will probably come for hakchi CE.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1 - It looks cool

2 - Clicking around on the dark web landed me on this tweet from optiroc (the guy who gave us Super Famicom Wars english) who is making a tutorial on SNES hacking using Battle Pinball as the game

Battle Pinball is amazing! Easily the best 16-bit pinball game, the boards are so active and fun and the physics are surprisingly good for the era.

Honestly, it's better than the Crush games.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I want to wrap up my SNES work ....

I have custom folders and art, etc. But I want to make it so all my games have the art I want and organized the way I want. I have been using Hakchi2 (2.21f), but I been told from people here to use daPhies version. What is the easiest/smartest way to do this?

Should I make a new folder with daPhies buil, flash my SNES back to the original way it was and start over with the daPhie version or something?

I am hoping to make this as seemless as I can.

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
I don't think just installing it over the existing version will do it. I tried at first to flash the original kernel with hakchi 2.21f and then just flashing the new kernel of hakchi CE. Didn't work.

What worked for me:
1. Unzip the hakchi CE into a new folder.
2. Just copy your original kernel dump, snes_games and folder art from the hakchi 2.21f directory to the new hakchi CE directory.
(Export your existing saves)
3. Uninstall the old custom kernel and flash your original kernel.
4. Do a factory reset from within the SNES Mini while using the original kernel.
5. Flash the custom kernel of hakchi CE
6. Synchronize your games using hakchi CE.
(Import your existing saves)
7. Do all the rest (Retroarch, custom folders, whatever). ;)

Like I said, it's basically starting from scratch but at least you're not losing the work you put into your games collection and save games. And hopefully you're then all set for any future development since new tools and update will probably come for hakchi CE.
Thanks for taking the time on this write up. Much appreciated.

Oct 25, 2017
So CE1.0.0 has issues with RetroArch if not using latest KMFD v1.7.0, however 1.7.0 currently also has a crashing issue with core overrides and the physical reset button. I'm told this means custom RA borders are a no-no right now.
So this may not be of immediate use for those on the newest updates, but I created a bunch of NativeX3 borders for use with Gameboy Pokemon games based on Super Gameboy.

-Red US
-Blue US
-Green JP
-Yellow Modified
-Gold
-Silver
-Crystal Custom

https://imgur.com/a/IX16V

Sample:

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So CE1.0.0 has issues with RetroArch if not using latest KMFD v1.7.0, however 1.7.0 currently also has a crashing issue with core overrides and the physical reset button. I'm told this means custom RA borders are a no-no right now.
So this may not be of immediate use for those on the newest updates, but I created a bunch of NativeX3 borders for use with Gameboy Pokemon games based on Super Gameboy.

-Red US
-Blue US
-Green JP
-Yellow Modified
-Gold
-Silver
-Crystal Custom

https://imgur.com/a/uE0T4

Sample:

This is great!. Can you make a generic Super Game Boy border?

Oct 25, 2017
This is great!. Can you make a generic Super Game Boy border?
I found one I liked online but I made a few modifications to it myself to make it more to my liking. Three variants:

Generic Background

Park Background

Original Version

Also, here are the custom icons I made for the previously mentioned Pokemon games. As you can see, I'm very much chasing the Super Gameboy theme because that makes it feel more legitimate on my minisnes. I'd like to maintain some minor semblance of authenticity. Doing what I can to sort of imitate the SGB since the actual functionality isn't there.

https://imgur.com/a/3bgHe
Sample

I'm using colored gbc romhacks for red/blue. It may not be the same color as the actual SGB versions but it seems it's as close as I'll get on mini. For Green, it's actually a US-Blue conversion romhack. That hack doesn't add color so without SGB functionality it'll be greyscale, hence the Classic label. The rest have gbc compatiblity.
Hopefully they all end up playing nice with RA.

Last edited:

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
FYI someone has updated ken griffey baseball to 2015, 2016, 2017 and an all time legends roster hack. the same guy also released college slam with 2017 rosters.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
anyone able to get captain america and the avengers to work? arcade version not snes/genesis port. I've tried fba2012 and mame2003 and it didn't work

edit: nvm, got it to work using mam2010 module, still can't get the sega system 32 games to work even though I'm using the mame2003 sys32 module

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I found one I liked online but I made a few modifications to it myself to make it more to my liking. Three variants:

Generic Background

Park Background

Original Version

Also, here are the custom icons I made for the previously mentioned Pokemon games. As you can see, I'm very much chasing the Super Gameboy theme because that makes it feel more legitimate on my minisnes. I'd like to maintain some minor semblance of authenticity. Doing what I can to sort of imitate the SGB since the actual functionality isn't there.

Sample

I'm using colored gbc romhacks for red/blue. It may not be the same color as the actual SGB versions but it seems it's as close as I'll get on mini. For Green, it's actually a US-Blue conversion romhack. That hack doesn't add color so without SGB functionality it'll be greyscale, hence the Classic label. The rest have gbc compatiblity.

Badass, I'd totally use these but my GB games are on my NES classic

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
so uh, if i'm still using the old version of hakchi, i should basically flip flop the last 2 digits of the preset ids in the compatability list, right? tbh i don't want to update and fix what isn't broken until things are more advanced and solid, since i'm cool with how it works now. but just to be clear, that's how i use the preset ids now, right?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Generic Background

Park Background

Original Version

Sample

Great stuff!

Is there one unified community online with easily browsable custom Mini art? Like thumbnails & order.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
so uh, if i'm still using the old version of hakchi, i should basically flip flop the last 2 digits of the preset ids in the compatability list, right? tbh i don't want to update and fix what isn't broken until things are more advanced and solid, since i'm cool with how it works now. but just to be clear, that's how i use the preset ids now, right?

Flip each half. So ABCD in the sheet is CDAB in hakchi.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
After reading that there's a mod to change (and maintain) the original artwork for the stock Classic games, I just couldn't help myself. I unretired and went back to the well making alternative boxart mockups for some of the games.

You can check out my other alternates, customs and restorations here in my gallery post!

Without further ado...

k81jBBO.png
KzSTMWC.png
8vGswOR.png
d0PxuJQ.png
NSl7FuX.png

soZcSQC.png
fH1MR0H.png
EgZ8AVO.png

I should have a few more available next weekend! Use if desired...
Wow, one of the best boxart designs I've seen!

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I love them but the Secret of Mana one looks off-ratio. The image looks stretched. They are all rather spiffy though.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Ok my NES mini have problems with GBA game which use a shader that make emulation go very slow. I want to restart everything as fresh, like if i was having an unmodded NES. Do i need ro uninstall first the kernel from hakchi and then put back the original kernel? By uninstalling hakchi, will it delete all the module?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Do i need ro uninstall first the kernel from hakchi and then put back the original kernel? By uninstalling hakchi, will it delete all the module?
yes, and yes.

The uninstall menu item in hakchi will run you through it. Also do a factory reset on the mini afterwards. Backup any saves before you start.

But make sure it's not just the shader making everything go slow. Would be a quick fix to disable it using RetroArch menu.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
yes, and yes.

The uninstall menu item in hakchi will run you through it. Also do a factory reset on the mini afterwards. Backup any saves before you start.

But make sure it's not just the shader making everything go slow. Would be a quick fix to disable it using RetroArch menu.

Ok great thanks! Went threw all of it uninstall, flash everything back, and now reinstalled everything, and now everything is working fine! Oh boy, was wondering what was the bug with by gba games, a default bad shader was always loading, even if i was choosing a different one, saving and quitting. Now it seem fix!

But i think i made a mistake somewhere, Retroarch is no longer appearing in my games menu, i delete it. Im always unchecking it so it doesnt show in the mini, but now, its no longer appearing. Its installed, but not listed. Is there a way to make it reapear in the hakchi menu?

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My friend got a SNES mini so I hacked it for him. He only wanted about 20 or so additional games so I think he had a total of 45. I deactivated the folder preference so they would be all on one menu, but for whatever reason, they're not in alphabetical order. The games all work, but its random how they went all over the place.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
^ pressing Select when in the home menu will change up what order the games appear in, including alphabetical. The randomness is probably due to publisher or date of release order.

Make sure you don't lose your friend's original kernel, if he ever wants to hack the machine himself he's probably going to need it.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017

Battle%20Pinball%20(J).png

battlepinball2.gif

snes_battle_pinball_2.gif

B2w2OMqEA7BK6s0DfJ5BMCFm_Un6Dk7-rh9Uv-8fmidp1e1vKCLqkOcj-F3TZqEFOadTuDobVIfwz3BF-c7U=w1920-h937

tLGM3LO.png

I based the box on the original Japanese box art with the highest-resolution source image I could find (shown below). Since the Gundam is the most recognizable character in the West I cut him out and re-positioned him over that other guy. The source image is fairly lossy but it looks pretty great when displayed on the SNES Mini!
eTdP6Ih.png

qR3Upv4OqFF4M12td34zc7tCT9C65F8ZMfF51fGXrzATeXf9srilRPxvp0005pnc-yLJKV3PYJgtHSwmQ688=w1920-h937

Sorry I don't have a proper full English logo but maybe one day I'll make one and update it :)

Woah, this looks cool! I need to try this game out.
I spent a good while trying to get the other elusive, JP-only pinball game Jaki Crush working but didn't have any shred of luck. If anyone else wants to give it a shot, I'd love to see what it yields.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
But i think i made a mistake somewhere, Retroarch is no longer appearing in my games menu, i delete it. Im always unchecking it so it doesnt show in the mini, but now, its no longer appearing. Its installed, but not listed. Is there a way to make it reapear in the hakchi menu?
It doesn't usually appear in the list of games. Why do you want it to appear there? Have you installed it as a hmod? If so that's enough.

But, if you really want an icon for it you have to install a separate item to get the RetroArch icon in your SNES mini UI.

In Manic's pack it's at: _km_Xtras > Hakchi2 > CloverApp-ForSNES.zip

Add that as if it's a game.

But you don't need it to show in your games menu. It's installed as a hmod so it's available for you to use. Check the uninstall hmods menu whilst your SNESC mini is connected and on and you will see what hmods you have on it.

Last edited:

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't usually appear in the list of games. Why do you want it to appear there? Have you installed it as a hmod? If so that's enough.

But, if you really want an icon for it you have to install a separate item to get the RetroArch icon in your SNES mini UI.

In Manic's pack it's at: _km_Xtras > Hakchi2 > CloverApp-ForSNES.zip

Add that as if it's a game.

But you don't need it to show in your games menu. It's installed as a hmod so it's available for you to use. Check the uninstall hmods menu whilst your SNESC mini is connected and on and you will see what hmods you have on it.

Oh ok. Dont know why but when at first i installed retroarch on my NES mini a few months ago, it was appearing as a game in my gamelist. Guess its not important to have it there then. Thanks!

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have Robotron 2084 (arcade) running correctly with control? I tried the Mame2010 version and I cannot bind controls because retroarch won't surface the controls I need to bind (different from normal arcade games with L/R/U/D and buttons).

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Woah, this looks cool! I need to try this game out.
I spent a good while trying to get the other elusive, JP-only pinball game Jaki Crush working but didn't have any shred of luck. If anyone else wants to give it a shot, I'd love to see what it yields.

I'm a huge pinball nerd and I had never heard of this game until very recently. It's one of the best digital pinball games I've played! The physics are shockingly good for a SNES game and the tables are so imaginative and packed with fun stuff. Better than the Crush games, IMO.

Since the license basically kills the game from ever coming over here I fear most people will never play it and never even kmow it exists.

Here's a good question for you guys: What are your *must have* imports that have fan translations or don't need one? SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, GBA.

Last edited:

optiroc

Oct 28, 2017

1 - It looks cool

Cheers! Definitely a game that hasn't got much attention despite being a lot of fun!

Initially I thought it would be fun to make a simple hack that save the high scores (and have WAY lower default scores!), and why not translate the text while I'm at it... :)

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have Robotron 2084 (arcade) running correctly with control? I tried the Mame2010 version and I cannot bind controls because retroarch won't surface the controls I need to bind (different from normal arcade games with L/R/U/D and buttons).

Yes. I used MAME2003 and didn't need to rebind. Uses the button as right stick and works surprisingly well.

I found that about 50% games don't work on MAME2003. Stuff after like 1988 run too slow like Outrun. Will take what In can get. Also use the Retroarch latency fix settings recommended in this thread.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I used MAME2003 and didn't need to rebind. Uses the button as right stick and works surprisingly well.

I found that about 50% games don't work on MAME2003. Stuff after like 1988 run too slow like Outrun. Will take what In can get. Also use the Retroarch latency fix settings recommended in this thread.

Thanks very much!