• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
What Robin64 said.

I bought the SNES Mini because the original was my first love console and I sold that over half a lifetime ago. So I wanted to play it again, and the fact this comes with two of the official controllers sealed the deal. It's so much better playing games with the proper controller. I try to do that whenever I emulate.

I added games because I can, and I thought it should have Pilotwings and Sensible Soccer on it as there two SNES games I still play regularly.

Also very important is that this feels like a console rather than a computer running an emulator. It's a very well put together package. It's the same reason I don't game on PC but only on dedicated consoles (and mobile).

Finally, I'm guilty of adding non-SNES games to my device, from a variety of other 8-bit and 16-bit systems. But if you didn't know that you'd think they were all SNES games.

Oct 28, 2017
Just a last thought for today:

Some years ago, at least from my point of view, it was still all about 'getting the games', resulting in bad rom dumps, dozen versions of the same game, crappy translations attempts, and so on.

Trying to play the games as they were intended to, either by upgrading/upscaling original hardware or at least getting the emulation as close to the original as possible, maybe adding realistic scanlines or crt effects, seems like a newer trend to me. Maybe developing from a pure gamer to a person interested in the history of all this is part of it.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a last thought for today:

Some years ago, at least from my point of view, it was still all about 'getting the games', resulting in bad rom dumps, dozen versions of the same game, crappy translations attempts, and so on.

Trying to play the games as they were intended to, either by upgrading/upscaling original hardware or at least getting the emulation as close to the original as possible, maybe adding realistic scanlines or crt effects, seems like a newer trend to me. Maybe developing from a pure gamer to a person interested in the history of all this is part of it.

That's true. Used to be I would dump a ton of roms in a folder with a bunch of bracketed tags and no intention of play the vast majority of them.

These days I'm far more interested in a curated selection of the best and favorite games with a nice presentation. Having the boxart to browse is also far more appealing than scrolling through a text list of titles. It somehow makes it feel more "real," makes the collection feel more satisfying have.

I wish you could have the manual scans linked to each game, too. Some of the old manuals were really nice and really cool. Hell, you needed to read a lot of them for context and set-up. Lots of great art and personality.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
We have a lot of Canoe purists here, that's for sure. It's a bit sad when you see a potentially good dev at helping figure things out just give up and go "Retroarch solves all". Don't want a Retroarch box, I have a PC for that.

Agree 100% and I'm glad the community here is dedicated to getting the most out of Canoe. If I had my way all SNES games would be 100% compatible with Canoe. I was a bit sad when people got Retroarch working on the NES classic and people gave up trying to fix game compatibility on that machine. To this day Batman Return of the Joker still doesn't work on the NES Mini native emulator and nobody cares. Don't get me wrong I am glad we have Retroarch for the games that absolutely won't run on Canoe like Tales of Phantasia. But that shouldn't be an excuse to just give up on Canoe

trinitron

Oct 28, 2017
Also agreeing with Robin64. The collectible "console" with the controllers. I tried the bitdo controllers, it just isn't the same to me. While it isn't fully accurate emulation, I like the other touches that Nintendo added. I am interested in Canoe only and keeping it within that experience environment. I am not going to be interested in playing these classic games constantly so this allows for me to also see it as a collectible even put away.

Separately, I really hope something gets figured out regarding the Dragon Quest III translation patch one day. I'd like to have the full trilogy playable via Canoe one day.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also agreeing with Robin64. The collectible "console" with the controllers. I tried the bitdo controllers, it just isn't the same to me. While it isn't fully accurate emulation, I like the other touches that Nintendo added. I am interested in Canoe only and keeping it within that experience environment. I am not going to be interested in playing these classic games constantly so this allows for me to also see it as a collectible even put away.

Separately, I really hope something gets figured out regarding the Dragon Quest III translation patch one day. I'd like to have the full trilogy playable via Canoe one day.

The 8bitdo SNES30 *is* excellent, though. Best third party repro I've found. I can't wait to get my receiver for my SNES mini.

Btw, I didn't see the English patched Shiren the Wanderer on the compatibility list. Is it working? It's like the only thing I care about.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Agree 100% and I'm glad the community here is dedicated to getting the most out of Canoe. If I had my way all SNES games would be 100% compatible with Canoe. I was a bit sad when people got Retroarch working on the NES classic and people gave up trying to fix game compatibility on that machine. To this day Batman Return of the Joker still doesn't work on the NES Mini native emulator and nobody cares. Don't get me wrong I am glad we have Retroarch for the games that absolutely won't run on Canoe like Tales of Phantasia. But that shouldn't be an excuse to just give up on Canoe
I'm dedicated enough that I won't even install Retroarch on it. Nope nope nope.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed that. What is this crap? Should be optional, don't tarnish my SNES Mini like that... Ugh.

New goal, find out how to remove this without reverting back to old builds.
Yah I hate this screen. Do we know whether or not its just a JPG somewhere that we can swap out? Or is it generated real time?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yah I hate this screen. Do we know whether or not its just a JPG somewhere that we can swap out? Or is it generated real time?

It's a PNG you can swap out

How-to Edit the Splash Screen
This will show you how to change the "hakchi" boot screen when you turn on your console.

1. Create a 1280x720 image titled "boot.png" and place it inside the "hakchi" folder of the USB drive. Here is an example splash screen that you can use:

boot.png

Edit: Instructions for USB Drive because previously the splashscreen only came with the USB Host mod

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't like the hakchi knock knock boot up screen. Super annoying. Is that supposed to be there every time? Went back to daphie's.

Huh? I've never seen that. Was hakchi updated or something to add whatever that is? Any footage of it?

*edit*
Ah, I see it's not hakchi's fault, but the USB Host mod.

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So where do I put that on my Mini? I'd rock that image. Is it only for USB?

Only for USB, The splash screen only exists to make up for the delay in the Mini accessing the USB drive upon boot. I don't know why Hakchi CE puts the bootscreen there for Non USB Host users. But there must be a way to replace it

Huh? I've never seen that. Was hakchi updated or something to add whatever that is? Any footage of it?

Before if you modded your Mini to work with USB you'd get that screen since the Mini would now need to check and access data on an external drive when it was booted. Seems Hakchi CE installs the screen by default for some reason

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I just removed the splash screen code entirely. Don't need that rubbish.

To do that, FTP in, browse to /etc/preinit.d and delete the p7010_bootlogo file.

Ah, I see it's not hakchi's fault, but the USB Host mod.

Not just USB mod, it's part of the CE fork of hakchi too, for normal users. Had to get rid of it. Already a few comments on their Reddit post about the option to turn it off, too.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Echoing back the Canoe love here. I have never spent so much time or had so much fun emulating stuff before. There has just been something about that little bit of official Nintendo hardware that has pushed me to seek out the gems and fall into the community spirit. Great to be on the ride with y'all.

The only reason I might usb mod is to play some of the MSU soundtrack edits. Otherwise it's Canoe all the way.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, but it's not in normal hakchi. That's the one I have. I thought it was something added to that one.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have one more annoying question for now because I'm having trouble finding the answer through Google.

So when it comes to MAME what should I expect when it comes to compatability, performance and accuracy?

My main desire would be for CPS1/2 games (NeoGeo being well-covered on other platforms through ACA/VC). Maybe some other gems like Ninja Baseball Bat Man.

The impression I'm getting from searching is to use the FBA core + romset.

I assume you can use custom covers, borders and stuff for each game, too, right?

Also, I haven't seen TurboGrafx come up, is that supported?

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
So the guide in OP says I need to make .sfroms out of my rom files with a tool before adding games but this guide doesn't mention anything about having to do that, it doesn't even mention .sfrom.

http://snesclassicmods.com/how-to-add-more-games-to-snes-classic-mini/

So which is the more accurate guide as of now?
I havent tested CE edition yet, but i believe the guide you linked is for older versions.... And maybe they are talking about SFrom tool to add games that will be edited to get Canoe compatibility, but yet again, I'm not sure...

Oct 28, 2017
I havent tested CE edition yet, but i believe the guide you linked is for older versions.... And maybe they are talking about SFrom tool to add games that will be edited to get Canoe compatibility, but yet again, I'm not sure...
The guide you're referring to is usable for basically any hakchi build since the end of last year. I gave it a quick look yesterday and while it is definitely nice to have this small collection of guides, they are focusing mainly on getting you started.

Using DarkAkuma's sfrom tool is strongly promoted in this community to cope with a lot of flaws that remain in hakchi up to this day. It's not really complicated to use but maybe focusing more on 'advanced' users that want their roms as 'Nintendo would have probably made them'. So Robin's OP is a little bit more in depth without being overly complicated.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The guide you're referring to is usable for basically any hakchi build since the end of last year. I gave it a quick look yesterday and while it is definitely nice to have this small collection of guides, they are focusing mainly on getting you started.

Using DarkAkuma's sfrom tool is strongly promoted in this community to cope with a lot of flaws that remain in hakchi up to this day. It's not really complicated to use but maybe focusing more on 'advanced' users that want their roms as 'Nintendo would have probably made them'. So Robin's OP is a little bit more in depth without being overly complicated.

Can you explain a little more about what you mean by that?

What is the purpose of .sfrom, is it the required file extension or a recommended one?

What should I do if I want to create sub folders for NES, Genesis, GB, GBA & MAME?

Ultimately that's where I want to end up using USB expansion.

For now I really just want to focus on SNES. I'll probably move on to the other emulators in the order I wrote above.

Also, the limit for displayed games is 63, right? So I need subfolders for SNES to go beyond that, right?

Oct 28, 2017
Can you explain a little more about what you mean by that?
Sure, I'll try.

First, for the folders. My way of doing it is setting the folder options in hakchi (settings --> pages/folder structure) to 'custom - show folders manager every time'. This way, whenever you synchronize with the SNES Mini, hakchi will let you create your own folder structure. Creating new folders for different systems is then up to you. You have to do it only once though.

The limit for displayed games in a folder is around 63, right. But I would choose a significantly lower number like around 50 or even lower. Some users experiened problems when having 63 large games in a folder for example.

.sfrom is the required file extension for canoe, the built in SNES Mini emulator. Both hakchi and the sfrom tool create those files from 'regular' rom files. But the sfrom tool is doing it in a better way.

DarkAkuma himself pretty much explained all of this on his page when he released the tool. I link to it here for further reference.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I'll try.

First, for the folders. My way of doing it is setting the folder options in hakchi (settings --> pages/folder structure) to 'custom - show folders manager every time'. This way, whenever you synchronize with the SNES Mini, hakchi will let you create your own folder structure. Creating new folders for different systems is then up to you. You have to do it only once though.

The limit for displayed games in a folder ist around 63, right. But I would choose a significantly lower number like around 50 or even lower. Some users experiened problems when having 63 large games in a folder for example.

.sfrom is the required file extension for canoe, the built in SNES Mini emulator. Both hakchi and the sfrom tool create those files from 'regular' rom files. But the sfrom tool is doing it in a better way.

DarkAkuma himself pretty much explained all of this on his page when he released the tool. I link to it here for further reference.
Thanks a ton, friend! Very helpful!

I'm gonna get on it in a few minutes!

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I've updated our Compatability List to show the correct order for Preset IDs. This is how they show in SFROM Tool, and how they will (hopefully) show in future builds of Hakchi 2 CE. Most of these will auto-populate in SFROM Tool, but where it's an unofficial or uncomfirmed PID it won't. A future patch pack will populate those games too. So in the meantime, just have a quick check what the PID comes up as in SFROM Tool before making your file.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What Robin64 said.

I bought the SNES Mini because the original was my first love console and I sold that over half a lifetime ago. So I wanted to play it again, and the fact this comes with two of the official controllers sealed the deal. It's so much better playing games with the proper controller. I try to do that whenever I emulate.

I added games because I can, and I thought it should have Pilotwings and Sensible Soccer on it as there two SNES games I still play regularly.

Also very important is that this feels like a console rather than a computer running an emulator. It's a very well put together package. It's the same reason I don't game on PC but only on dedicated consoles (and mobile).

Finally, I'm guilty of adding non-SNES games to my device, from a variety of other 8-bit and 16-bit systems. But if you didn't know that you'd think they were all SNES games.

What do you mean? Did you use custom boxes or icons?

Personally, I can recognize a Genesis game from a SNES game pretty easily, from the color palette to the sound chip.

SNES was my first home console as a kid, after the Game Boy. I never had any of the Sega systems until I got my own job and bought a Dreamcast on clearance. I distinctly remember feeling that my SNES was generally superior to my friends' Genesis consoles but I was still envious of a lot of their games, especially Sonic. Those FM bass lines are so iconic to Sega, IMO, and I can recognize that sound chip almost instantly.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The "Super Nintendo" bit is only so pixelly because its actually a 64 x 16 sized logo, then blown up to TV sizes. The packed.png file is what controls the UI, and it's pretty small, so there isn't too much you can do with it. That said, I'm sure someone could at least make the Super Nintendo bit a bit less pixelly than it is, even with the constraints.

Here it is if anyone wants to tinker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zveMD-praZ2nWiMSquSXwOA_XAEV2tlc
Yeah, gave it a quick go and, as you say, it's so small rerizing you own logo is going to come out pixely too. Best option would be to erase it completely if you don't like it. Though, if you like the logo there, at least for PAL system, one advantage of editing that file is moving the logo up one pixel so it doesn't overlap the light grey line.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went ahead and made my first custom box art for an import title and I'm sharing it here. Feel free to share it elsewhere!

Battle Pinball is an awesome and little-known Japan-only Banpresto pinball game from the "Compati Hero Series" featuring licenses for Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Gundam

Battle%20Pinball%20(J).png

battlepinball2.gif

snes_battle_pinball_2.gif

B2w2OMqEA7BK6s0DfJ5BMCFm_Un6Dk7-rh9Uv-8fmidp1e1vKCLqkOcj-F3TZqEFOadTuDobVIfwz3BF-c7U=w1920-h937

tLGM3LO.png

I based the box on the original Japanese box art with the highest-resolution source image I could find (shown below). Since the Gundam is the most recognizable character in the West I cut him out and re-positioned him over that other guy. The source image is fairly lossy but it looks pretty great when displayed on the SNES Mini!
eTdP6Ih.png

qR3Upv4OqFF4M12td34zc7tCT9C65F8ZMfF51fGXrzATeXf9srilRPxvp0005pnc-yLJKV3PYJgtHSwmQ688=w1920-h937

Sorry I don't have a proper full English logo but maybe one day I'll make one and update it :)

Last edited:

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
I was all over this stuff when I first purchased my SNES Mini, but now I'm a bit lost. I see there is a new version of Hakchi2 CE. Anything I should know going to it and should I be installing it over the old v2.21f?

Oct 28, 2017
I was all over this stuff when I first purchased my SNES Mini, but now I'm a bit lost. I see there is a new version of Hakchi2 CE. Anything I should know going to it and should I be installing it over the old v2.21f?
Best starting from scratch using Hakchi2 CE and the updated information in the OP. Games, folder art etc. can be transfered from your old hakchi to the CE version.

Edit: Aside from the sfrom tool (Link) there is really not that much of new stuff overall. The basic process didn't change. The rest (Retroarch, custom borders, hmods) is up to your personal taste.

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
I've updated our Compatability List to show the correct order for Preset IDs. This is how they show in SFROM Tool, and how they will (hopefully) show in future builds of Hakchi 2 CE. Most of these will auto-populate in SFROM Tool, but where it's an unofficial or uncomfirmed PID it won't. A future patch pack will populate those games too. So in the meantime, just have a quick check what the PID comes up as in SFROM Tool before making your file.

Very nice! =)

I've waited far to long to see sheets adopting the proper order for the preset id bytes! I figured my improved preset id list alone would have forced hakchi2 to be updated to use the proper order, but that never happened, so instead everyone just continued using that ass backwards order because "that's what hakchi2 uses"...

Now if only the other list would update the same...

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Well the other list tends to just copy what mine says these days, so it won't be long. ;)

(Bitchy? You bet.)

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, here's a quick one I did for the more popular import Umihara Kawase.

I wanted one with Romanji and the one I found was formatted to fill the whole square. To maintain consistency I reformatted it to the traditional box dimensions, added some flair with her foot poking over the frame and added the developer logo, too.

My version:
bxHcbQ2.png

iavj8br_aTU3SHymmTOhLZ2jURH6sThHzxhYXwQ45sRIwVdVWaZoJZAg2E3uuB2-YiOMn82Bg6fAmJUk1ad3=w1920-h937

Original version:

IISs5FJuGr3CLG9qLre2njfw0_QeNmdvUUnihtibbGMncJOXFG0QoS180rtS3sGvhd14gEfEQcNXNLhUCU44=w1920-h937

MPMwaEL.png

I'm willing do to requests if possible!

Edit: Hmmm. I think the base template I'm using for the box frame is a bit on the skinny side. The height dimensions should be taller with more black frame. I'll mess with it later.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Very nice! =)

I've waited far to long to see sheets adopting the proper order for the preset id bytes! I figured my improved preset id list alone would have forced hakchi2 to be updated to use the proper order, but that never happened, so instead everyone just continued using that ass backwards order because "that's what hakchi2 uses"...

Now if only the other list would update the same...

Its because everyone uses Cluster's tool that the numbers stay that way. Even these new forks aren't using your method. Not sure what you're expecting with how information is presented.

There's a lot of stamping of feet lately and it's pretty awkward. Feelin that community love

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sorry, I'm late to this. Just hacked it the other night and got some games up and running.
I'm confused about the 63 game thing though. So, can I set up multiple folders each with less than 63 games? If so, how do I set up folders?
Could I have a folder with just NES games? Is there still a limit for those? Would I need to set up a separate emulator for NES games?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I'm late to this. Just hacked it the other night and got some games up and running.
I'm confused about the 63 game thing though. So, can I set up multiple folders each with less than 63 games? If so, how do I set up folders?
Could I have a folder with just NES games? Is there still a limit for those? Would I need to set up a separate emulator for NES games?

From what I understand there is a folder manager in Hakchi2 and you can distribute the games as you please.
You do need retoarch + cores for everything that isn't SNES. you still browse and boot the games from the stock UI, tho

I don't understand the difference between folders and pages or how to manually move games where you want them.

For example, I want to put all of my SNES import games in a seperate folder.

I did find these custom folder icons
https://imgur.com/a/xrJrZ

OK I found a video tutorial but it's from october

Last edited: