• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
After upgrading to daphie-hakchi (unzipped to a copy of my hakchi folder and replaced the files), then uninstalling all the modules and installing the newest KFMDM modules, my Retroarch games are not loading. I've also re-synchronized via daphie-hakchi. Command lines look fine and untouched from the upgrade.

Oct 28, 2017
After upgrading to daphie-hakchi (unzipped to a copy of my hakchi folder and replaced the files), then uninstalling all the modules and installing the newest KFMDM modules, my Retroarch games are not loading. I've also re-synchronized via daphie-hakchi. Command lines look fine and untouched from the upgrade.

I'm also in the process of migrating from cluster's hakchi/retroarch to daphie/KFMDM. For the last update of KFMDM there is a hotfix:

1-25-18 HOTFIX UPDATE
ATTENTION:) In order to use the NEW RetroArchs in my Core Set from 1-24-18,
you will need to take the included remote-exec file and OVERWRITE
the current one in your hakchi2 directory.
  1. Control+F
  2. Search for remote exec
  3. Open Containing Directory
  4. Let included one overwrite it
**Then, for anyone with issues running NES/SNES should be back in
action! And, of course, Special Characters will work for USB-HOST!
Directory the remote-exec is in..
hakchi2/mods/mod_hakchi/hakchi/rootfs/bin
Personal thanks to Madmonkey for helping fix this:)
Sincerely, KMFDManic... Sorry for any inconvenience. https://ufile.io/dhacs

Maybe that's what you're looking for to get it running?

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Well I got it to work, had to mess with drivers in VirtualBox but eventually it worked. The advice of waiting until hakchi is running before plugging in and turning on the SNESC also helped, and in the lower left hand corner there is a stop sign shape that if you wait for it to turn green it'll work no problem. Not every time that I connect my SNESC and turn it on does that stop sign turn green, so I do still have to mess around with the drivers whenever this occurs.

Added 25 games to my SNESC, including the other two DKCs, Turtles in Time, and Sunset Riders. Don't know if there are too many more I'm really itching to add, got what I wanted on it.

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
Nope didn't fix it.

I've uninstalled all modules, uninstalled hakchi, flashed to original kernel - then reflashed custom, reinstalled modules and re-synced my games. Seems like everything else is working fine now, outside NES games. NES games completely crash the thing to the point where if I power it off, the power light is still on and my monitor still detects it as HDMI input, I have to disconnect the power completely.

NES cores are still built in to _km_retroarch_170_1_23_18.hmod correct?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
looks like my copy of srt3 crashes the classic. I also don't see this game on the list. fyi

Both the English translation and original Japanese version of this work fine on the SNES Mini.

Note that the translation is old and one of those shitty patches that requires a headered ROM. We tend to not have those around these days because we're not monsters. Use TUSH to add a header to your Japanese ROM, then apply the translation patch, and then use TUSH to remove the header again. It will work fine then.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
My buddy found an SNES Mini for me. Awesome!

Is there a fix for the controller not working right? The R button on one of my controllers is SUPER spotty.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Both the English translation and original Japanese version of this work fine on the SNES Mini.

Note that the translation is old and one of those shitty patches that requires a headered ROM. We tend to not have those around these days because we're not monsters. Use TUSH to add a header to your Japanese ROM, then apply the translation patch, and then use TUSH to remove the header again. It will work fine then.
This looks great. Another game I have totally missed until now.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Happy to say that through a long weekend of testing Star Ocean on the SNES Mini, I haven't had to send a single error report to DarkAkuma. Thus far, it has been perfect.

7kwhiMU.png

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
Another user on reddit is having the exact same problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmo...t_hotfix_for_my_core_set_in_order_to/dtceljv/

I've replied to KFMDM there to see if there's anything they could find out.

KFMDM replied, and I had to change all my /bin/nes to /bin/fceumm to make it work.

With Daphne hakchi, I'm not able to view the original games. I've used the View menu, and "At the top" is ticked, but all I see is the "Custom Games". Actually it looks like they're all missing - they aren't in the folder structure menu or on the actual system itself when I turn it on.

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
With Daphne hakchi, I'm not able to view the original games. I've used the View menu, and "At the top" is ticked, but all I see is the "Custom Games". Actually it looks like they're all missing - they aren't in the folder structure menu or on the actual system itself when I turn it on.

Used File>Restore Original Games and that cleared it up.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Hey all~
Just an heads up that, with the remaining balance of various VC purchases for canoe research etc, if someone wanted to provide an eshop code, the 1,000points combined with the balance would enable 2 titles to be bought.
And DarkAkuma , what should be next on the list if there's a contribution?

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
Hey all~
Just an heads up that, with the remaining balance of various VC purchases for canoe research etc, if someone wanted to provide an eshop code, the 1,000points combined with the balance would enable 2 titles to be bought.
And DarkAkuma , what should be next on the list if there's a contribution?

In order of importance:
  1. Metal Slader Glory: Director's Cut
  2. Super Chinese World
  3. Demon's Blazon: Makaimura Monsho-hen
SCW I think I have a good guess for its preset id, but that part of the list is hard to predict with complete confidence. I have zero clue where Demons Blazon is, but since the English NTSC version is verified it will probably be least useful for people. MSG:DC is both hard to guess, but doesn't have a E-NTSC version. Of course, all 3 are unknown if they have VC patches.

Everything after that is pretty much equal as I have strong enough guesses for their Preset IDs, just no dumps to know if there are VC patches.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is this what Marvelous is supposed to look like in the SFROM tool?

d22o6gL.jpg

That is from an un-patched un-headered clean japanese rom. So I dunno why SFROM tool isn't recognizing it

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Happy to say that through a long weekend of testing Star Ocean on the SNES Mini, I haven't had to send a single error report to DarkAkuma. Thus far, it has been perfect.

7kwhiMU.png

Nice!

Just need this, Phantasia, robotrek and terranigma on my classic and I think it will be complete.

Also, what's the issue with marvelous? Haven't dived too far in it, but I didn't do much and I didn't notice any issues.

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
Is this what Marvelous is supposed to look like in the SFROM tool?

d22o6gL.jpg

That is from an un-patched un-headered clean japanese rom. So I dunno why SFROM tool isn't recognizing it

Yes. I take it you mean how the ROMs header name next to "Game" looks weird. That's normal. A lot of Japanese games show up like that because they used a different charset.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Just need this, Phantasia, robotrek and terranigma on my classic and I think it will be complete.

Also, what's the issue with marvelous? Haven't dived too far in it, but I didn't do much and I didn't notice any issues.

Well Robotrek and Terranigma already work just fine.

Marvelous has an issue where if you have a border enabled, it uses up some CPU and slightly affects the game. It's perfect otherwise, though.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Nice!

Unless DarkAkuma (after Star Ocean I'll just take his word as gospel on what's not going to work) says otherwise I dont think Phantasia is going to work anytime soon. I'd love to be surprised though

Robotrek and Terranigma have patches that make them work, so figure it out and play them instead

Marvelous' issue was that it had blurry text. Not LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE but annoying. Thankfully it's been resolved as long as you provide the PresetID and the -no-lowlatency tag. So there are no issues with it anymore.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Word.

I know terranigma and trek work. I just need to get rid of some games to stay under the 60 game limit.

Phantasia is the coup. No worries. I'm enjoying these gems, and having fun tinkering with the classic in the meantime.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Any reason why you are limiting yourself? Just not interested in having multiple pages?

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Yeah. I'm not too familiar with everything related with the classic and what it's capable of, but without folders isn't 60 games on the front end all it can contain without causing issues?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure, sorry.

But it's not difficult to sort out multiple folder/pages.

I use these settings for mine

Original games in root -> Automatic in subfolder

Games Per Page: 30

So what this does is leave the default games first, then has a folder titled "More Games"

From here it sorts them alphabetically 30 games each (or more depending on how you prefer)

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have audio here, so maybe they mention it, but it looks like they're playing all the games on actual hardware? I can see the N64 and the Dreamcast, though I can't see what their SNES pad is connected to.
They're playing Royal Rumble on a SNES mini, the other games are being played on their actual hardware tho, you are right.

Having played this game a ton as a kid, the names and the meters glitching out is totally the SNES mini's fault.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Some for the list.

Smash Tennis (PAL to NTSC-U patched)
has a vertically stretched screen.

Super Final Match Tennis (NTSC-J)
breaks when saving options

Masters: Harukanaru Augusta 2 (NTSC-J)
Masters New: Harukanaru Augusta 3 (NTSC-J)

both have corrupt graphics in game. snes9x2005 is the only thing I can use to play these two.

World Class Rugby (PAL to NTSC patched)
Pitch colour is corrupted, white rather than green

World Class Rugby 2: Kokunai Gekitou Hen '93
OK, same game only with fewer, Japanese teams

Happy to try other preset IDs if there have been similar issues with other games?

Last edited:

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Does Illusion of Gaia with the fix work on the native emulator or only RetroArch? I thought it was fixed but got a message when adding it saying I need RetroArch.

For me was in the native, if i click "yes" when i have the prompt in hakchi to install an additional emulator the ROM doesn't run in my SNES mini.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

Clix

Banned
Illusion of Gaia works just fine natively, but Cluster happily ignored my github submission from October 11th last year so hakchi still says it doesn't work.

These days, use .sfrom Tool to make .sfrom files and then add them to daphie's build of hakchi.

Okay, excellent! Thank you!

Another question or two. One, last night I was checking the compatibility list and going through my library. I noticed that games I have not had any issues, at least on the surface, had preset ID's on the list while they were 0000 on Hakchi. Should I change them to the preset ID's in the list then to be on the safe side?

Last question, after applying the Terranigma patch, do I do anything else? As in, the patch also converts it to NTSC?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Word.

I know terranigma and trek work. I just need to get rid of some games to stay under the 60 game limit.

Phantasia is the coup. No worries. I'm enjoying these gems, and having fun tinkering with the classic in the meantime.

There's no 60 game limit. If you have 60 games in one page/folder, all you are setting up yourself is to get C8 crashes. You need to keep fewer than 40 games per page to avoid issues. And if you want the icons on the bottom to not go offscreen, then it has to be less than 30.

So don't being silly and add folders already.

You can always use the Custom folder option to set up folders anyway you want. You can change their name, appearance, and where to place them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Just wanted to remind everyone about the awesome SNES Classic Club: ERA Edition. It had barely begun on the other site before we had to move, but it was already excellent, now over on ResetEra it's even better.

Each month, members tackle one of the 21 SNES Mini games together. So far we've had Super Mario World, F-Zero, Super Ghouls'n Ghosts, Link to the Past, and EarthBound. For February, we will be playing through Super Castlevania IV.

Additionally, each game has three challenges for you to beat. Beating them earns slick looking trophies for you own personal game shelf, an example of which is below. Don't worry if you've missed games, you can still go back and earn the trophies! This is something I intend to do as I myself have been sadly absent from the whole thing since the move.

So pop into the latest thread, say hi, and get earning. :)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/snes-classic-club-era-edition-earthbound.13079/

Example shelf:

ZD5uuZv.jpg

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
There's no 60 game limit. If you have 60 games in one page/folder, all you are setting up yourself is to get C8 crashes. You need to keep fewer than 40 games per page to avoid issues. And if you want the icons on the bottom to not go offscreen, then it has to be less than 30.

You can always use the Custom folder option to set up folders anyway you want. You can change their name, appearance, and where to place them.

Oh. Ahhh.

Well then.

Time to get creative.

I've gotten the c8 crash when trying to open games before. Maybe my too many games thing was causing the problem, not...what I thought was a bad rom.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

Its for folders your talking about? Cause i have set mine atm as a snes only system, 50 games, no folder, and havent had any issue yet. Even considering trying to go to 60. I just dont want folders.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
What are the top 5 games you've discovered while using hakchi?
Nice topic. Your list is good!

Favourite discoveries...

Winter Gold
Seriously stylish Super FX winter sports game with support for pass the controller multi-player. Easily the best game we've discovered by pure accident.

T&E SOFT golf games (MD)
I'd just finished Golf Story and was hungry for more. My search for good golf games initially started with SNES but the MD versions of these golf games are simply superb.

Super Final Match Tennis
Great tennis game. More depth and charm than Super Tennis at the expense of a slightly steeper difficulty/learning curve.

The Firemen
Same developer as the above. Just a really nice game with a novel concept.

That's 4

Games that I'll finally get around to clearing from my backlog...

Super Pang
Plok
Trodders
Goof Troop
Flashback (MD)

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London