• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Hey, is there a list of games that doesnt work on the snes mini default emulator? I know there is a google doc online which show all the games, but you have to scroll threw all of it to find specific title. Suggestion for the OP, maybe make a list in the OP of games having problems and maybe post a fix if available for it? ( like a saw in one if the page of the thread a fix for star ocean i think where you have to add something in the command line ) . Simple suggestion!

Sounds like just another thing to keep updated to me. Keep all the info in the doc with the link to the doc in the OP imo.

Also seconding the nes mini for nes games and snes mini for snes games. I would love to have a bunch of tiny systems all set up.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm uh... severely tempted to spring for one of those "Sega Genesis Mini" mods purely on aesthetics alone, not knowing a damn thing how to work a Pi.

someone talk me down

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah, I'm uh... severely tempted to spring for one of those "Sega Genesis Mini" mods purely on aesthetics alone, not knowing a damn thing how to work a Pi.

someone talk me down

Setting up a pi is only a bit more difficult than modding your snes mini. If you can handle that, you can setup your pi! Do your research, go slowly and youll do fine.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
I'm trying to play Super Final Match Tennis (Human Entertainment, Japanese) with Canoe and it seems to hang on a black screen if I change any options. Can't seem to reload it after that. Can anybody confirm and/or suggest a workaround? Should I just use RetroArch?

Last edited:

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I'm running NES dualboot and Mega Drive in a subfolder. It works for me. One machine to rule them all.

I am enjoying trying out stuff I have never played and weird Japanese games and Satellaview and FDS only releases and odd multiplayer games that are fun for a couple of rounds.

One day I will probably go pure SNES.

When the Switch eventually gets hacked that will be the ultimate all purpose emulator machine.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like just another thing to keep updated to me. Keep all the info in the doc with the link to the doc in the OP imo.

Also seconding the nes mini for nes games and snes mini for snes games. I would love to have a bunch of tiny systems all set up.

Yeah, i realise it was all there after. There was one on the web, but the link provide is a better doc which give all the info i was looking for.

Im planning to use mysnes mini as a snes and super famicom only system planning to make two folder, and ill use my nes mini for nes, gb, gba, genesis. Might put genesis on my snes, still undecided. One thing i absolutly need is GBA emulation, there are great games on that sydtem, but they take so much memory space.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So that branch of Hakchi that lets use update the original covers without copying the files. Where is the link?

How would I migrate from my current version of Hakchi to it?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

demi

Oct 27, 2017
If it was the miracle cure you're asking for I'm sure it would be spread around more

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
for the new hakchi, copy over the .exe and .pdb file into your folder and run (you can keep the cluster one along side it if you rename it)

for the hmods: uninstall all current hmods, then delete them from user_mods, copy the new ones into user_mods and install those you need/want using hakchi

both only need to be done once (although the hmods do get updates from time to time)

of course always have a backup! so maybe do this on a copy of your hakchi folder

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, has anyone tried these? Is it on par with Canoe games now? And what version of hackchi and Retroarch is needed?

If it's on par now, I can start adding GB/GBA games.

The first guide is legit. It passes the "Super Mario Bros." test for me. If I can play a fast, responsive game of Mario 1, the lag gets a pass. You'll still have problems dodging Mike Tyson's punches, though.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Well, since I had Photoshop open, I decided to make "square" icons for all the games that I made my own logos for. It was a pretty quick task since I basically had all the layers already.

yw5yTtu.png
OkHq1Vv.png
Mb9T6iA.png
QAUzfiW.png
8aUczgM.png

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
And since I was in the mood I put something together for Super Famicom Wars (A shout out to pitt_norton's original Super Famicom Wars box art)

5okTO7J.png
AgAM4iF.png

Where did you find those coloured SFW characters assets?! I'd love a link to those! :)

v42diG4.png
TAJsdJd.png

Basically since I had to make my own clean version of the Bullet Proof Software logo for the Spike McFang box, I decided to throw together the Yoshi's Cookie box even if it one of the laziest PAL box designs I've seen.

Both the PAL Yoshi Cookie box AND the US box are quite lazy! They were trying to make parity with the US SMW box but... well yeah haha

Oh, and just before Christmas pitt_norton asked if I could give NBA Give n Go a go so I gave it a go.

QCK8jDo.png

Now back to lurking as the more recent conversation is a bit over my head ha ha

Awesome work! Knew you could pull off a pristine PAL version cover!

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Where did you find those coloured SFW characters assets?! I'd love a link to those! :)
I manually coloured in the art found from the Nintendo JP site. I'll PM them to you after maintenance. (they look a bit scruffier when not shrunk down).

Those are ace, BGBW. Do you have Star Ocean done? :)
Not yet, but I'll make a note to do it. Googling for some resources I notice one could just crop the official soundtrack for it for a pretty much ready to go square icon.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering. Is the canoe emulator from the snes mini can be install on the nes mini threw retroarch or hakchi?

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. Going to give my one second impression on the snes mini. The CRT filter is just awesome! Jesus, it look so great. Thinking about fitting 50 games , all the best and make it a snes only machine.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
What's the deal with this preset ID? I see some games have it listed in that spreadsheet in the first page.

Do i need to change that to get some of these games working?

How do I change the preset ID?

Example: I am trying to play Heracles 3 on my classic and when the game boots up, it quickly sends me back to the main menu screen.

edit: might have a bad rom.

Last edited:

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
Having a bit of a problem, I'm using a virtual box on my Mac, I have dumped the kernel but when it asks me to install the driver it says it can't detect a NES mini and I can get no further.

I've added the USB devices it's asked for on the Virtual box settings and it can obviously detect it as it dumped the kernel but now I'm blocked...please help :(

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
This has probably been asked, but when I try to add ROMs I get stuck and a window pops up telling me it's waiting for my SNES Classic, and says to connect it, turn it on, and install driver if I haven't. The SNES is connected, turned on, and the driver has been installed(it had to be installed prior to flashing the custom kernel, which I've already done). What am I doing wrong here?

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with this preset ID? I see some games have it listed in that spreadsheet in the first page.

Do i need to change that to get some of these games working?

How do I change the preset ID?

Example: I am trying to play Heracles 3 on my classic and when the game boots up, it quickly sends me back to the main menu screen.

edit: might have a bad rom.

In hakchi, when your game is highlighted, press ctrl - alt - E , i think its important. Iv done it for all the gsme i installed, somfar everythingnis working.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Having a bit of a problem, I'm using a virtual box on my Mac, I have dumped the kernel but when it asks me to install the driver it says it can't detect a NES mini and I can get no further.

I've added the USB devices it's asked for on the Virtual box settings and it can obviously detect it as it dumped the kernel but now I'm blocked...please help :(

This has probably been asked, but when I try to add ROMs I get stuck and a window pops up telling me it's waiting for my SNES Classic, and says to connect it, turn it on, and install driver if I haven't. The SNES is connected, turned on, and the driver has been installed(it had to be installed prior to flashing the custom kernel, which I've already done). What am I doing wrong here?
I get this if I load hakchi with the SNES already switched on. It's best to launch hakchi2 before switching on the SNES.

To fix I simply switch the SNES Mini off and on again whilst hakchi is running.

Using the debug build of hakchi (eg Daphie79's current hakchi) can help as you see error when you get into this state.

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
can any talented boxart makers here make a U.S. Box Art for Dragon Quest Monsters Caravan Heart on GBA? I can't seem to find one online

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to make the CRT filter work on games/ other systems you can install threw retroarch? Im just in love with that snes CRT filter, look way better than the NES mini one and retro arch shaders. Really thinking about making my snes classic my retro console.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
I get this if I load hakchi with the SNES already switched on. It's best to launch hakchi2 before switching on the SNES.

To fix I simply switch the SNES Mini off and on again whilst hakchi is running.

Using the debug build of hakchi (eg Daphie79's current hakchi) can help as you see error when you get into this state.

Thanks sadly it didn't work. I've tried everything I can find online regarding this and doesn't seem to work at all :( oh well.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

Dunno if it work on mac threw virtual , but have you tried Zadig? My pc didnt reconise my nes mini a few days ago, had to install this, and now it work perfectly. Not sure it will work on mac tho.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
Try uninstalling the drivers for the SNES mini in control panel. Try rebooting your pc. Try a different usb port. Try a different usb cable.

Tried that even created a new virtual box but alas.

Dunno if it work on mac threw virtual , but have you tried Zadig? My pc didnt reconise my nes mini a few days ago, had to install this, and now it work perfectly. Not sure it will work on mac tho.

What do I need to do with Zadig? I've seen that mentioned.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Ok, I had to use Lunar.ips to apply the patches. That was my mistake.

Got Tactics Ogre, Heracles 3 and Illusion of Gaia running on my classic. Woot!

With Tactics Ogre, the start up screen is all glitched up to hell, but once you click past to the title screen everything seems fine. I haven't run into any problems. Love this game! I have it on the ps1 and psp, so it's nice to get it back to its roots.

Gotta figure out Terranigma and see if I can find a Super Robot Wars game for this bad boy too.

60 games is the limit if you are not using folders right? Might have to take some of these original games off the list that i will never play.

edit: btw, does anyone have a SMT 1 (and 2) or Super Robot Wars 3 box art image with the classic snes border?

Please and thank you?!

double edit: looks like my copy of srt3 crashes the classic. I also don't see this game on the list. fyi

Last edited:

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Thanks sadly it didn't work. I've tried everything I can find online regarding this and doesn't seem to work at all :( oh well.
OK, the SNESC reports itself as two different USB devices depending on whether you're in normal mode (power on, light on) or kernel flashing mode (power on, light off). You need to make sure your Virtual Machine knows to connect them both. Maybe that's it?

Last edited:

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
OK, the SNESC reports itself as two different USB devices depending on whether you're in normal mode (power on, light on) or kernel flashing mode (power on, light off). You need to make sure your Virtual Machine knows to connect them both. Maybe that's it?

I've put two devices one Nintendo and the other flashing something or another. I have flashed the kernel and dumped it, but yeah now I'm stuck. The zedig didn't work either :(

Man, I feel like this should be straight forward... but Im struggling

Setting it all up was fine ( as I do it all the time for work) but yeah now I'm struggling to get the games on.

I just want to play Turtles :(

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I'm trying to do it on VM on Mac too if that helps, however I can flash the custom kernel and the default kernel, it's just the very last step of actually loading the ROMs on it where I'm stuck. I've tried installing the driver again just for the hell of it, but I really don't think that is the issue since you need to install the driver in the first place to even flash the kernel.

Has anyone been able to successfully do this on Mac yet? Seems like it's still a problem for Mac users.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Well I already had a Windows partition on my Mac so it was pretty straightforward for me.

These are great... Do you have them all stored in a Google drive or something?
Is hosting them in a Google Drive preferable? If so, I'm happy to set one up. At the moment they're just as you see them, imgur links on Era.