• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I have my hakchi2 and complete rom set ready (Box pics and all) for when my SNES arrives next week, i'm so exited.

But i have a quick question, how many games can i have in my SNES allowing at least one game save and not having any performance issues? Also what does the option for "compressed" and "Uncompressed" do in hakchi? What's the difference?

Maybe these were already answered here but the thread is 48 pages long. Thanks in advance.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
- Use the Compressed Save State mod to allow for more space, this squeezes the save states on the classic from 2MB down to a smaller size, a huge benefit if you use save states a lot
- You wont be able to fit every game, but a healthy estimate is 150
- Compressed just compresses the files that the Classic uses to read, allowing for a bit more space - there hasnt really been any reported issues with it being compressed, so just compress all your games

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
Great! Any ideas what these patches are actually changing?

Not really. I mostly just dump them, not investigate them.

I did try sending the ZALttP VC patches to a ROM hacker in the randomizer community, but eventually got sick of asking him if he looked into what the changes do yet.

I've tried investigating some myself. Namely SoM. The only thing I learned from that though was that the SoM patch itself does not enable high res mode in that game. The patch just enables the preset ID to boot the game at all, and that Preset IDs seem solely responsible for high res mode being enabled.

That said, some VC patches are purely just v1.1+ versions of the game that were not released on cartridge. Most are hacks though. Hacks that make the ROM no longer pass its own checksum.

I just strongly suspect that most VC hacks are just tiny edits to better canoe compatibility, like bypassing copy protection checks. Some could just be tiny edits to bring things to modern standards. Like editing a sentence or tile set that was more acceptable in the 90's, but not now. Others may just be bug fixes that weren't worth recompiling the ROM for.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
- Use the Compressed Save State mod to allow for more space, this squeezes the save states on the classic from 2MB down to a smaller size, a huge benefit if you use save states a lot
- Compressed just compresses the files that the Classic uses to read, allowing for a bit more space - there hasnt really been any reported issues with it being compressed, so just compress all your games

Thanks! i will fit about 100 only just top ensure no problems.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. Was lucky to finally able to ge a SNES mini today, receiving it tomorrow. But wondering, is the emulation worth it compare to the NES classic? My NES classic is currently set up with games from nes, snes, gba, gbc, atari, genesis, super famicom and famicom. Will i have better benefits of hacking the snes and make it my primary retro console?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

Robin64 How about this in the OP since it comes up fairly often?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. Was lucky to finally able to ge a SNES mini today, receiving it tomorrow. But wondering, is the emulation worth it compare to the NES classic? My NES classic is currently set up with games from nes, snes, gba, gbc, atari, genesis, super famicom and famicom. Will i have better benefits of hacking the snes and make it my primary retro console?

Answer: No, they're pretty much the same machine. But some people prefer running it natively without any outside emulators, so if you want a pure SNES machine, this is it. I have my NES Classic with just NES games, and my SNES with SNES. I have zero intention of running other machines on it.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Answer: No, they're pretty much the same machine. But some people prefer running it natively without any outside emulators, so if you want a pure SNES machine, this is it. I have my NES Classic with just NES games, and my SNES with SNES. I have zero intention of running other machines on it.

Right on!

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I have my NES Classic with just NES games, and my SNES with SNES. I have zero intention of running other machines on it.

sX78i.gif

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

My sentiments exactly, Though I am experimenting with Game Boy games on NES and GBA games on SNES since I feel those systems are so closely related that they feel like extensions of the home consoles

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

Ok. Ill see if it run a bit better games like Starfox, Doom with the FX chip. Its my only complain about the NES classic, i dont like how they feel on emulators, i feel they are slower as they are use to on the nes mini. Thanks for the info!

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
My sentiments exactly, Though I am experimenting with Game Boy games on NES and GBA games on SNES since I feel those systems are so closely related that they feel like extensions of the home consoles

Yesh might split things up. But i absolutly need a genesis emulator, they are great games on it! Will see how it goes, even thinking about adding storage threw USB but it seem not perfect atm

demi

Oct 27, 2017
When they make a Genesis Classic that isnt made by AtGames I'm more than happy to jump in and have a cute mini-Genesis as well

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you've set a game to run using Canoe you can force it to run in RetroArch by holding down after I press A to load the game. Useful for testing and when you don't want to mess with hakchi2.

But can you force it the other way around?

Edit: hold up after you launch the game

I knew I'd asked this before: https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/issues/716

Wow, didn't know that. Nice option to have if you want to test games between emulators.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
When they make a Genesis Classic that isnt made by AtGames I'm more than happy to jump in and have a cute mini-Genesis as well

I would love if Sega does that. Never had a Genesis myself and I would love to try some of the games with an original controller on an official console.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I would love for somebody to 3D Print a Genesis Shell for an SNES Classic MOBO to fit in lol. It's sad there's zero chance anybody will make a decent Genesis Mini

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

Are the 150 like games are able to fit totally on the main screen or you need to make some folders? On my NES mini, the max i was able to fit without making folder is around 100 at a time, to make sure i dont have error.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
So with all the recent developments around Marvelous, I thought I'd celebrate my making some boxart for it.

7WFU0hE.png
8Nlvn67.png

And since I was in the mood I put something together for Super Famicom Wars (A shout out to pitt_norton's original Super Famicom Wars box art)

5okTO7J.png
AgAM4iF.png

Then I realised there was some boxart I never shared that I made a while back.

v42diG4.png
TAJsdJd.png

Basically since I had to make my own clean version of the Bullet Proof Software logo for the Spike McFang box, I decided to throw together the Yoshi's Cookie box even if it one of the laziest PAL box designs I've seen.

Oh, and just before Christmas pitt_norton asked if I could give NBA Give n Go a go so I gave it a go.

QCK8jDo.png

Now back to lurking as the more recent conversation is a bit over my head ha ha

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

As it should be!

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Couple of questions:

Right now, the way I have the folders setup is that I have four folders at the home screen for different platforms. NES, SNES, Genesis, and GBA are what I have right now. Problem is, when the menu screen has that few options on it, it's kinda glitchy and awkward, with the cursor jumping around in weird ways. Is there a way to fix that?#

Is there a way to disable the RetroArch menu? I don't really need it and it makes it a little more awkward than I would ike.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Error 52 If you mean that you have a total of 4 folder only on a screen, the main screen, when moving folder to folder that it's jumpy, right? If so, yeah, that's the SNES mini for you. It seems unless you have around 12 icons on a single screen or inside a folder, it's just jumpy like that.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of questions:

Right now, the way I have the folders setup is that I have four folders at the home screen for different platforms. NES, SNES, Genesis, and GBA are what I have right now. Problem is, when the menu screen has that few options on it, it's kinda glitchy and awkward, with the cursor jumping around in weird ways. Is there a way to fix that?#

Is there a way to disable the RetroArch menu? I don't really need it and it makes it a little more awkward than I would ike.

Just uncheck it from your gamelist in hakchi.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
I have a question for you mod-wizards out there. Is there a way to add SNES Classic's 4:3 filter to the NES Classic's 4:3 mode?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Heads up for anyone playing Marvelous: it seems to suffer from the same issue that some people were having with another game (I forgot which game it was) where the SRAM doesn't always save properly. I lost a good chunk of progress due to this.

Has anyone else experienced the same?

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, is there a list of games that doesnt work on the snes mini default emulator? I know there is a google doc online which show all the games, but you have to scroll threw all of it to find specific title. Suggestion for the OP, maybe make a list in the OP of games having problems and maybe post a fix if available for it? ( like a saw in one if the page of the thread a fix for star ocean i think where you have to add something in the command line ) . Simple suggestion!