• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, yeah my box says Active Boeki too. No AC adaptor but I can use the USB on my HDTV to power it.

Still, complaining to Amazon about this. Can't just sell me a product that is missing parts for the region at full price.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Are all new Classic shipments like this? AC Adapter exclusive first print? Aw yea boys, RARE
I half impulse bought one from Best Buy this Wednesday (needed to mess around though) and it came with cord and AC adapter. Are these people gutting them?

And I wouldn't assume the PAL one would have had Nintendo of AMERICA on the box at all. Nevermind having the SFC design instead.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
It's strange that the power socket is sort of like a UK socket but rotated by 90 degrees? But it's a USA style purple SNES.

Somebody in the USA tweet Nintendo about it?

Last edited:

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I half impulse bought one from Best Buy this Wednesday (needed to mess around though) and it came with cord and AC adapter. Are these people gutting them?

And I wouldn't assume the PAL one would have had Nintendo of AMERICA on the box at all. Nevermind having the SFC design instead.
Amazon is buying these wholesale or something from an international distrubtor then selling them full price as a "Lightning Deal"

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
What PSU do people use?

I'm using a 1.5Amp PSU from an eBook Reader but the unit powers of during some demanding games and infrequently when I hit reset to get back to the menu.

Would a 2Amp PSU help me out?

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon is buying these wholesale or something from an international distrubtor then selling them full price as a "Lightning Deal"
Maybe there's some non-USA or at least NA markets NoA services and they don't give the adapters there? I can see Amazon getting their hands on those.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's better than not being able to get one at all, right..?
Yes but not everyone could power it up my friend isnt hardcore like us. He just wanted to plug it up and play and couldnt do it unless he took his iphone cable out the wall and put it next to his tv outlet. Just a dumb hassle and he should've received one

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yes but not everyone could power it up my friend isnt hardcore like us. He just wanted to plug it up and play and couldnt do it unless he took his iphone cable out the wall and put it next to his tv outlet. Just a dumb hassle and he should've received one

Yeah, of course. But at least now he's secured a SNES Mini and maybe Amazon can send out a power adapter. The hard part's over, is really my point, but Amazon do need to rectify further.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my own this morning and got to hack it effortlessly thanks to the guide. Thanks a lot for the great work!

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Wow ok... yeah thats amazon fault then. So they somehow got shipments from international distributor and start selling it as their own. lol

I wonder if they bought then resold lol

Oh wow~ It's the real McCoy. Your twit pic only showed the UK (?) adapter but now Hero_of_the_Day 's pic not only shows the UK adapter, but A US SNES? O.o
This makes me wonder how this should be handled...

I mean, it's better than not being able to get one at all, right..?
This. I'm happy I finally got my nostalgic US version for retail price.
The USB adapter being taken out and not included isn't cool but my TV powers my SuperFamicom just fine. I'm still going to email Amazon about it though.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
these mario world hacks i posted are savin me from serious boredom, hell yeah

if anyone knows any other good ones that work speak up! can't wait to have a friend over and dive into the zombies ate my neighbors hacks soon as well (or hacks in general really, they're bringing new life to the system for me since i've already beat everything. zelda, or metroid ones worth playing that aren't save state gobblers?)

Last edited:

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Robin, a few more:

Super Caesars Palace = Fine
Super Conflict = Fine
Super High Impact = Fine
Super Off Road: The Baja = Fine
Super Play Action Football = Looks like this needs high res text. Also, team selection screen unusable, but clicking through to game, game plays fine.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Amazon ships PAL games to people in the U.S. all the time too. They just suck as a company.
AFAIK, that's straight-up false advertising.

Edit: I'm outside the US but use US Amazon for a lot. Once they sent me a repackaged game but was still in new condition but I had ordered new; they sent me an actual new one at no cost and since the return cost would have cost them more.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
And some more:

Super RBI = Fine
Super Slam Dunk = Fine
Super Slap Shot = Fine
Super Soccer Champ = Fine
Super Solitaire = Fine
Super Troll Islans = Fine
Super Widget = Fine

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my 8bitdo SFC30 controller and love it. Playing Secret of Evermore again and it brings back so many memories

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Robin, a few more:

Super Caesars Palace = Fine
Super Conflict = Fine
Super High Impact = Fine
Super Off Road: The Baja = Fine
Super Play Action Football = Looks like this needs high res text. Also, team selection screen unusable, but clicking through to game, game plays fine.

Try preset 1610

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Would anyone be interested in donating towards a Japanese Wii U being purchased for the purpose of hacking it and dumping Marvelous so we can get it working in Canoe? Lost Bible III, Super Chinese World, Metal Slader Glory, Wrecking Crew 98, Rudra no Hihou, Tsukikomori, Bishoujo Janshi Suchie-Pai, Super E.D.F., Rushing Beat, Fire Fighting, and Bokujou Monogatari would also be dumped.

Also, 1610 does indeed fix Super Play Football. You get the usual gamma increase on screens with hi-res text, but it's still much better than the blur.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Not sure on the cost. It's DarkAkuma's idea, so more details to come, but just interested to see first if people would be up for it. I'll definitely throw in a few bucks.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Glad this thread is back.

For the new forum: Here's my album of PAL style cover art for the SNES Classic Mini.

Here's covers for the built-in 21 games:

lufcDEd.png
KDCaYIn.png
xrshdl9.png
7CExg9H.png
H8HshNm.png
LdNP4Mr.png
gV0RD1X.png
ieWniVw.png
wrtbOxN.png
wEQakcJ.png
d7ZJSVI.png
cYD85U8.png
4SHZWOy.png
WGTcYyv.png
cbqEapL.png
jj6wq0P.png
029Ne87.png
2EafBZz.png
M7hk4px.png
PIgY7GJ.png
QzIje9Y.png

Examples of covers for other SNES games:

hHOieBU.png
deu55OJ.png
AQ3x5NZ.png
zHeGzoq.png
zRmxGyz.png
Uxz4H03.png
sp8z4To.png
iPEjmFU.png

And even box art for games never officially released here:

bXQSPkK.png
RABlRHe.png
e3uA7k3.png
vYuswoz.png
DaBK4ks.png

There's a lot more box art in the link above.

As a bonus, here's NA versions for Panel De Pon and Sutte Hakkun
Ym137wu.png
gw1GqaW.png

These are excellent! I don't suppose you have a version of the Final Fantasy III cover that instead says "Final Fantasy VI"?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I tried adding a re-translated version of FF6 but no matter what I tried hackchi keeps telling me it's an "incorrect rom type" and refuses to add it, so far it's the only game that has given me trouble. Is this exclusive to the pack in games or something?

Also I was a bit disappointed that there was no source of game covers in the style of the originally included games, but turns out that "switch styled" icons look much nicer to the point I want to change the originals now haha.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's .sfc like the rest actually, that's why I don't understand what's wrong.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I apprecite the help either way!

Anyhow, I re-dumped the game a fourth time, tried .smc and this time it magically worked. Weird.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to plug back in my Classic tonight for the first time since huh... early November? lol

I see that there's now a way to specify a custom border for each game! This is great... Is there a good place to find Borders? I got a couple back in the days but I bet there's a ton more available now

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Robin, ran through some more games:

Time Slip = Fine
Time Trax = Fine
Timon & Pumbaa's Jungle Games = Fine
TKO Super Championship Boxing = Fine
TNN Bass Tournament of Champions = Audio popping on bass instruments, similar to Super Pinball
Tom and Jerry = I'm not seeing any of the graphical glitches in the hud. Played through 3 stages, beat the first boss, played the next stage and nothing. Game works fine for me.
Tommy Moe's Winter Extreme: Skiing & Snowboarding = Fine
Tony Meola's Sidekicks Soccer = Fine
Toys = Fine
Troddlers = Fine
Troy Aikman NFL Football = Fine
True Golf Classics: Wicked 18 = Garbled title screen and in game graphics, but playable
True Golf Classics: Waialae Country Club = Fine
Tuff E Nuff = Fine

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Robin64 Well, my Wii U is JP and fully hacked. If you wanted to chat about doing some eshop purchases, let me know. ;)
How to get .tik from your legit eshop game. (It's really easy)

1. You need tik2SD installed on your Wii U SD card - opens in homebrew channel
2. Load up tik2SD and dump the tickets for your games.
3. Eject SD card from Wii U and add to PC. You can find a tik2SD folder, inside are the tickets
4. Now we need to find the specific .tik you are interested in. Download WiiU_Ticket_Info and load it.
5. On the right choose 'show filename in results'
6. At the top point it to the tik2SD folder on your SD card
7. Click 'Get info for all tickets'
8. Click 'Save info to text' and save this .txt file somewhere
9. Inside that text file do a search for the specific game you are interested in (Japanese characters maybe?). You will find a section for that game with its own 'Title ID' and 'Title Key' AND the location of its ticket on your SD card.
10. Save the 'Title ID' and 'Title Key' into their own .txt file. Save this somewhere safe.
11. Go and find the specific .tik file on your sd card (as pointed out in step 9)
12. Copy this .tik file to the same location as your new title id/key .txt file.
13. That's it! These two files contain everything you need to make legit backups of your legit games.​

Let me know if there's any problems.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
How many SNES games is it possible to fit reliably on the mini?
Thanks.

I have about 150 with a reasonable amount set aside for saves. If you use the Save State Compression Mod you could probably squeeze in at least 200 comfortably.

This assumes you are using NO retroarch or other mods, and just the Canoe emulator.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I have about 150 with a reasonable amount set aside for saves. If you use the Save State Compression Mod you could probably squeeze in at least 200 comfortably.

This assumes you are using NO retroarch or other mods, and just the Canoe emulator.
I am using the compression mod, and it makes a huge difference. I have retroarch for just a few SNES titles and Mega Drive. I also have dual boot NES installed. My dual boot NES and all my mega drive games are stored on the hidden NAND to save about 45mb space on the main NAND.

On the SNES side I have 200 SNES games and about 40 Mega Drive. On the NES side I have about 60 games. With all that I am still looking at about 80mb free for saves or future games (Cluster hides about 30mb as a safety buffer, which I include in that figure).

Basically there are a lot of ways to squeeze more out of that 500mb

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Had some cool talk with DarkAkuma today, I think you guys will be pleased with some future developments.

While chatting, he taught me a little bit about the .sfrom Tool workings and how to make .cnp files. As his program only supports official Preset IDs, there are a bunch remaining where the community have discovered Preset IDs that work for other games, such as 10EF removing sound errors in a bunch of games. Well I've made a .cnp file which you just need to put in the "Patches" folder, and importing one of those games will now apply the working PID as well assign it the proper Product ID (instead of saying WUP-JXXY).

Unzip the .cnp from this file here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1COcDLAmwRU1h2lwKZvVBnGOQ_TlD2orE
and
Grab .sfrom Tool from here: http://darkakuma.z-net.us/p/sfromtool.html

Also, keep your eye on daphie's builds of hakchi2. I think this is where we'll be going moving forward.
https://github.com/daPhie79/hakchi2/releases

Last edited:

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Had some cool talk with DarkAkuma today, I think you guys will be pleased with some future developments.

While chatting, he taught me a little bit about the .sfrom Tool workings and how to make .cnp files. ...
Nice... what are your thoughts on pre-existing collections? I already have 200 games added to my SNESc and the idea of doing SFROM tool on all of them is a bit much. Which games would benefit from the process?

I am hoping when daphie incorporates SFROM tool into her build you'll be able to redo all the old games, update presets automatically and stuff like that.

Deleted member 26746

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hello I'm trying to run a Tetris game with the "hold piece" in the snes mini... the only game I found is The New Tetris for N64 but I don't know how to config mupen64 or the other one to make it run at decent speed...

Anyone can share with me the optimal config for the N64 emu for the snes mini or if exist any other Tetris game that uses the the "hold piece" mechanic that I can run on the snes mini??

thanks in advance