• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Dynamic Designs released an "almost version 1.0" patch for Aretha 2

Dynamic Designs

One of their main hackers - Bongo - decided to retire from romhacking scene, so they released this as-is.

Untested on Canoe

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Could be a fun test.

Just tested and the save/load screens look fine. Not bad for an outdated emulator like ZSNES Canoe

The naming screen was bugged as mentioned in the readme. Not a big deal.

Played some of the intro. Checked out some menus. Did a couple battles.

No immediate issues - can't comment on the other bugs mentioned in the readme.

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
Welp, tonight after playing something like 20 minutes worth of multiplayer Uniracers with friends using Sluffy's latest patch, eventually the music just froze
on a note that just kept playing until the end of the race, after which the game froze on a black screen and had to be restarted. Sounds like his patch had unexpected consequences since it was never tested enough...

Well, this game (with the latest patch) was tested at 100% at "sluffy's time" (by me), so with all the races on the 1P mode (I now have played more than 450 runs) : none issues. I just tested the 2P mode (playing alternatively with one pad then another : not ideal conditions, but I choosed most of time a special part of the course when the other unicycle continued to run without the pad) : played more than 30 minutes/approximately 15 races, tested all the type of races (one lap, multi-laps, stunts), played 2 entire championships (the first and the last/hidden one), tested 2P and VS, tested all type of special effects on the hidden races when a cycle encounter the other. Well... I was unable to reproduce any sort of issue.

I suppose it's possible, but the game is enough confident to play a pretty long time without being stopped. (and even if it would be the case, it's not a big deal since the game keeps the datas in the SRAM for the player's statistics : reset and replay, if it occurs)

Btw, for demi, it could be interesting to add other entries on the canoe's compatibility sheet, more than "working"; "issues"; "not working" : you should add something like "working and tested at 100%" and " issues and tested at 100%"or perhaps another column "comments on testing progression". I, and some other players, have now finished entirely a bunch of games (with all their secrets) and can confirm at nearly 100% a game has effectively none issues at all or has the issues described in the sheet and no other hidden issues ;)

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Btw, for demi, it could be interesting to add other entries on the canoe's compatibility sheet, more than "working"; "issues"; "not working" : you should add something like "working and tested at 100%" and " issues and tested at 100%"or perhaps another column "comments on testing progression". I, and some other players, have now finished entirely a bunch of games (with all their secrets) and can confirm at nearly 100% a game has effectively none issues at all or has the issues described in the sheet and no other hidden issues ;)

Would it be a good idea to add a new column that is something like "verified working" with a checkbox? I'm open to suggestions.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
How do you add borders again? I want to continue my Chrono Trigger playthrough and I believe there is a nice custom Chrono Trigger border right?

I had them installed before but somehow thwy dissapeared?

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
Would it be a good idea to add a new column that is something like "verified working" with a checkbox? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks ! in fact, I don't know exactly how implement the result of a complete play of a snes game with canoe. An ideal situation would have been to add a new column next to the "status" column, with a simple symbol (like a star, as far as it would be possible) when the game was entirely finished/tested, but it would need explanations to fill this new case correctly.
Your idea with a checkbox is a good one, but instead of "verified working", which could lead to misinterpretations (and not correct for verified issues described and no more), you could add the same sort of choices you have on the status column, with something like : 100% complete at 1P ; normal ending (i.e : "the end reached with not all levels done") and/or also maybe "have played several hours with ending not reached". it's a bit complicated terms, so probably the best would be to keep a simple "verified" column with the possibility to add (or choose) a comment. Don't know exactly, especially as I'm not so comfortable with the english language to use succinct and precise terms, sorry ^^"

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Hey all, looking for some help.
Trying to hack my SNES and NES Mini's on a Mac, but neither one will appear in the USB list when I try adding them in Virtual Box. I can add the tablet flashing modes just fine (holding reset), but not the standard Nintendo device when plugged in and powered on. Any tips?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Can you force the USB device to connect to Virtual Box rather than macOS? That's what I had to do with VMware Fusion.

You'll have to do that for each USB device the Mini presents itself as (one per mode)

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
demi

KMFD (the retroarch guy) is going to release a new Retroarch variant that strips all the themes from the program, so it looks and loads like the old retroarch we still have in our SNES Classics. So that means that games will load instantly instead of taking 3-5 seconds like the newer Retroarchs.

Just wanted to let you know in case you want to install Hakchi CE now to get the additional 60-100 megs worth of memory to add more games and you will have the same fast loading Retroarch.

The only downside is that hakchi itself still takes like 5 seconds to load, but to tell you the truth, having the extra memory to add some more games I wanted to add is a nice tradeoff. By the time I grab the controller and go back to my couch, the SNESC is already on the game menu.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How can I enable color on the Gameboy games that are compatible with color (when using the Gameboy Color)? Talking about Pokemon Red and stuff that can be in color.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon Red is not a GBC game. You're thinking about the Super Game Boy which added a few shades of color to monochromatic games.

Oct 27, 2017
How can I enable color on the Gameboy games that are compatible with color (when using the Gameboy Color)? Talking about Pokemon Red and stuff that can be in color.
I'm not familiar with the SNES classic, but on other platforms, you need to use a Retroarch core which supports Super Game Boy emulation. Same Boy and BGB do, while Gambatte doesn't. Gambatte lets you use the "GBC colors"... but they aren't true colors.

See this video:
www.youtube.com

Pokémon Red - Game Boy Player vs Super Game Boy 2

Game Boy games aren't always better on the Game Boy Player. Pokémon Red and Blue are two great examples.The Game Boy Player ignores all the Super Game Boy co...

The Game Boy Player (which behaves like a GBC) applies a generic palette to the game. Every still object is red, everything that moves is green. The Pokémons in battle don't have a specific color - they are all red.

The Super Game Boy one is a true colorization (albeit very basic). The game has a built-in palette and the Super Game Boy "knows" to change colors when you enter a new area, or for the various Pokémons while in battle.

tumblr_ldnrsinI9g1qzvs0a.png

Here you can read an excellent article on the SGB.

The GBC is better for games including a native GBC mode (that is, cross-gen GB/GBC games, which usually came in black cartridges, as opposed to the standard grey cartridges). Like Pokémon Yellow, Gold and Silver. They were developed with the GBC in mind.

www.youtube.com

Pokémon Gold Intro - Game Boy Player vs Super Game Boy 2

Here's a comparison of the Pokémon Gold intro on the Game Boy Player and the Super Game Boy 2. I did this mostly to compare the colors difference.I had to ed...

By the way, you should try this hack. It converts the game into a GBC game, with a true colorization
www.romhacking.net

Pokemon Red Full Color Hack

This is a colorization hack of Pokemon Red and Blue, done entirely using ASM. It takes full advantag

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with the SNES classic, but on other platforms, you need to use a Retroarch core which supports Super Game Boy emulation. Same Boy and BGB do, while Gambatte doesn't. Gambatte lets you use the "GBC colors"... but they aren't true colors.

See this video:
www.youtube.com

Pokémon Red - Game Boy Player vs Super Game Boy 2

Game Boy games aren't always better on the Game Boy Player. Pokémon Red and Blue are two great examples.The Game Boy Player ignores all the Super Game Boy co...

The Game Boy Player (which behaves like a GBC) applies a generic palette to the game. Every still object is red, everything that moves is green. The Pokémons in battle don't have a specific color - they are all red.

The Super Game Boy one is a true colorization (albeit very basic). The game has a built-in palette and the Super Game Boy "knows" to change colors when you enter a new area, or for the various Pokémons while in battle.

tumblr_ldnrsinI9g1qzvs0a.png

Here you can read an excellent article on the SGB.

The GBC is better for games including a native GBC mode (that is, cross-gen GB/GBC games, which usually came in black cartridges, as opposed to the standard grey cartridges). Like Pokémon Yellow, Gold and Silver. They were developed with the GBC in mind.

www.youtube.com

Pokémon Gold Intro - Game Boy Player vs Super Game Boy 2

Here's a comparison of the Pokémon Gold intro on the Game Boy Player and the Super Game Boy 2. I did this mostly to compare the colors difference.I had to ed...

By the way, you should try this hack. It converts the game into a GBC game, with a true colorization
www.romhacking.net

Pokemon Red Full Color Hack

This is a colorization hack of Pokemon Red and Blue, done entirely using ASM. It takes full advantag
Thank you! I'll read up on it!

That hack looks good. I wonder if it's compatible with the EMU hack or if they'll make a mess together. I might have to try it.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh I thought that putting it into the Gameboy Color did that too? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

No. The GBC didn't add color to monochromatic GB games.

The Super Game Boy did, for games that had SGB support.

Either Gambatte or the mGBA core allows you to run games in SGB mode, but you need to enable that in the RA options.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone play Goemon 3 completely on the SNES Classic?

Someone reported on romhacking that you are not able to complete Stage 5 because some statues you need to push disappear. It is unknown if the issue is with the translation patch or with the SNESClassic. I don't have a save file in that area to test it myself.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Got to be pretty unlikely that the problem is the translation patch. Someone on youtube has done a full playthrough of the translated Goeman 3 already.

The issue happened when he moved the statues, but exited the stage to save, and when he came back, the statues weren't there. That specific process is not something that youtuber did.

If that's the case then it would rule out a translation patch issue.

Not exactly. The last translation patch changed some floor titles somewhere. It's possible that or a previous patch broke something. It's also possible the guy patched the game with the new translation, but reloaded a save state with a previous patch and that could cause issues.
It could also be a canoe issue.

Either way I would like to test it.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thank god for hacking.

Tetris Attack is my favorite puzzle game ever, a big part of it is due to the amazing soundtrack. None of the other Pokemon Puzzle League/Panel de Pon games have even touched the majestic soundtrack Tetris Attack has.

I was watching a video of the Gamecube Japanese exclusive Nintendo Puzzle Collection, which includes a Panel de Pon remake, and even though it roughly has the same soundtrack as the original, the "punchiness" of the SNES' soundchip is lost in that version. Due to licensing issues we will probably never get a re-release of the original Tetris Attack and every other sequel/version is inferior in some way.

So yeah, thank god for hacking so I can have that on my SNES Classic ready for play anytime I want.

P.S.
I have the original cart and an original SNES too, but I would rather have it in storage and just use the SNESC instead.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Thank god for hacking.

Tetris Attack is my favorite puzzle game ever, a big part of it is due to the amazing soundtrack. None of the other Pokemon Puzzle League/Panel de Pon games have even touched the majestic soundtrack Tetris Attack has.

I was watching a video of the Gamecube Japanese exclusive Nintendo Puzzle Collection, which includes a Panel de Pon remake, and even though it roughly has the same soundtrack as the original, the "punchiness" of the SNES' soundchip is lost in that version. Due to licensing issues we will probably never get a re-release of the original Tetris Attack and every other sequel/version is inferior in some way.

So yeah, thank god for hacking so I can have that on my SNES Classic ready for play anytime I want.

P.S.
I have the original cart and an original SNES too, but I would rather have it in storage and just use the SNESC instead.
It's in my top 10 snes games and top 3 puzzle games of all time. What mode do you play? The story mode gets crazy hard at the end.
Funny thing is, it was not the first version of it that I played. When I was a kid, my sister bought me a tiger electronic knock off version of it and I spent countless hours on it. Later I got the snes version and it blew my mind. the soundtrack, sound effects, animation, everything is perfect

Edit: Thinking about it, the device was not really a tiger electronic knock off. It was more like a fake game boy with built in games and no catridge slot. I don't remember if there were any other games as I only played this one. I can't find any info about it online.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's in my top 10 snes games and top 3 puzzle games of all time. What mode do you play? The story mode gets crazy hard at the end.
Funny thing is, it was not the first version of it that I played. When I was a kid, my sister bought me a tiger electronic knock off version of it and I spent countless hours on it. Later I got the snes version and it blew my mind. the soundtrack, sound effects, animation, everything is perfect

Edit: Thinking about it, the device was not really a tiger electronic knock off. It was more like a fake game boy with built in games and no catridge slot. I don't remember if there were any other games as I only played this one. I can't find any info about it online.

I just play vs the computer in super hard mode. Too bad I can barely hear the regular music because the frantic version is always playing and those aren't very good, except this one. I fucking love it.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
demi

New hakchi ce version is going to reduce boot times. So, if the boot time is close to the old hakchi version, will you finally update to gain that extra 100 megs?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There are still legit SNES/NES Classics available if anyone is interested:

www.resetera.com

There are still legit SNES Classic and NES Classics available at reasonable prices

I don't know if people are aware, but there are a TON of SNES/NES Classic knockoffs being sold on Ebay and Amazon that look exactly like the real deal and it's impossible to tell them apart unless you open the system and look at the circuit board. I'm somewhat involved in the Hakchi scene, and...

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm playing my snes on my 42 inch tv and some games look pixelated as fuck. Any way to solve that problem?

Alien VS Predator on my TV does not looks as good as some of those youtube videos I have seen

slashf

Oct 28, 2017
I hacked my snes mini a while ago. And never used again. Now my old pc died, bought a new one, If i wanna to hack again i need to do something diferent?

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I hacked my snes mini a while ago. And never used again. Now my old pc died, bought a new one, If i wanna to hack again i need to do something diferent?
You could use your old hakchi backup if you want, but it's recommended to grab a newer version of HakchiCE and start fresh (with your old games setup and a kernel backup). You can get some really good cover artwork collections (search here for a few). Also, wink wink, search here for 'mega pack' and follow the breadcrumbs.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Still rocking hackchi 2.21f here as well. Don't need anything else unless they find ways to make more games run on Canoe.

You're missing out on an extra 100 megs to add more games.

I'm playing my snes on my 42 inch tv and some games look pixelated as fuck. Any way to solve that problem?

Don't sit too close to the TV, or enable scanlines, or use retroarch for all your games and enable the vaseline filter.

Alien VS Predator on my TV does not looks as good as some of those youtube videos I have seen

You were probably looking at the Arcade version, not the SNES version. Arcade version rocks, SNES version sucks.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Your system is already hacked.

If you were using the old Hakchi2, then you lost your kernel and your games folder when your PC died. If you're were using Hakchi CE, then the kernel is safe inside your system, but you still lost your games folder.

If you're happy with the way your system is now, then you don't have to mess with hakchi again.

But, if you want to add more games or to modify something, then... you'll have to re-add all your games again or else when you sync, all the games in your SNESC will disappear (your saves will be fine, though) because hakchi adds to your SNES whatever you have on the hakchi folder.

Last edited:

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Don't sit too close to the TV, or enable scanlines, or use retroarch for all your games and enable the vaseline filter.

You were probably looking at the Arcade version, not the SNES version. Arcade version rocks, SNES version sucks.

How do I enable the filter in retroarch.

And I have the arcade version of Alien vs Predator. The game was never released on SNES

slashf

Oct 28, 2017
Your system is already hacked.

If you were using the old Hakchi2, then you lost your kernel and your games folder when your PC died. If you're were using Hakchi CE, then the kernel is safe inside your system, but you still lost your games folder.

If you're happy with the way your system is now, then you don't have to mess with hakchi again.

But, if you want to add more games or to modify something, then... you'll have to re-add all your games again or else when you sync, all the games in your SNESC will disappear (your saves will be fine, though) because hakchi adds to your SNES whatever you have on the hakchi folder.
If i wanna hack again, to put and change some games(like some translated pt-br games that i find) i just need to use the same process or need to do something diferent?
MIne is old hackchi, some games didnt run well

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
My og SNES just died on me, so I searched online and was able to find a second hand mini for a reasonable price. The timing was just right, I bet in a few months I wouldn't be able to buy one without paying a small fortune.

Anyway, I'm going to mod it, it's gonna replace my SNES and I have about 50 cartridges for it, so I want to at least have all those games in it. I did some research but I still have some questions:

-I see that there are two versions of Hakchi, should I install CE or 2.3?

-How many additional SNES games will I be able to install? Some people say it could go up to 130 games, others say you can only install 30 more, I'm confused.

-What are some of the best mods to install? I read here about a save state compressor, is it a must have? I don't intend to use save states, does it compress regular save files too?

-I don't intend to use Retroarch for now, since Im only interested in SNES games and I read that Canoe has less input lag, is that true? If I do start using Retroarch, will I be able to boot some games on it and others on Canoe?

-Is a fix for DQIII translation on Canoe available yet? I'm really looking forward to play it, but the compatibility lists I saw listed it as incompatible.

Can anyone help with these? Thanks in advance!

demi

Oct 27, 2017
My og SNES just died on me, so I searched online and was able to find a second hand mini for a reasonable price. The timing was just right, I bet in a few months I wouldn't be able to buy one without paying a small fortune.

Anyway, I'm going to mod it, it's gonna replace my SNES and I have about 50 cartridges for it, so I want to at least have all those games in it. I did some research but I still have some questions:

-How many additional SNES games will I be able to install? Some people say it could go up to 130 games, others say you can only install 30 more, I'm confused.

-What are some of the best mods to install? I read here about a save state compressor, is it a must have? I don't intend to use save states, does it compress regular save files too?

-I don't intend to use Retroarch for now, since Im only interested in SNES games and I read that Canoe has less input lag, is that true? If I do start using Retroarch, will I be able to boot some games on it and others on Canoe?

-Is a fix for DQIII translation on Canoe available yet? I'm really looking forward to play it, but the compatibility lists I saw listed it as incompatible.

From the top:

- Get latest Hakchi CE.

- Latest Hakchi CE freed up like 100mb or something according to ReyVGM so you should be able to put well over 100 games, probably even more so to fit your needs. Plenty of room. If you want EVERYTHING you need to use USB.

- I personally just use the music menu mod (I put on WiiShop music), the save state compressor mod is great if you use save states (cuts from 2MB down to ~700kb) but if you don't plan on using them too much you should be fine.

- Yes Canoe has great performance and input lag for games. I can't talk about RECENT versions of Retroarch however, but it doesn't seem like Retroarch has done much to help with this. Yes you can mix and match Retroarch and Canoe, I believe it's as easy as selecting the game in Hakchi and saying "Use Retroarch Core"

- Yes there is a fix / patch for DQ3 on Canoe. I don't believe anyone has fully completed the game to confirm it 100% works. Maybe you will be the first?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018

• I find that hakchi CE is more user friendly. I usually recommend that people go with that one. Plus you get a little more free space with CE 3.7.0 now.
  • As for how many games you can fit on the internal memory: it depends on which games, since they have different sizes. I think with 3.7.0 you get about 250 MB of space to play with now? That's a good amount of space. 130 games is definitely possible.
  • Your confusion about only putting 30 extra games on there is probably about the limit per folder. You can have multiple folders on the system, and it's recommended to limit it to 30 games in each folder or else you could start getting C8 errors (which basically means the system ran out of memory).
  • Save state compressor is only useful with games running in Canoe, and only if you're using the system's suspend state feature. It'll reduce those files from 2+ MB to around 300 KB. It doesn't touch battery saves, which usually are pretty small anyway.
  • Yes, Canoe has a little less input lag as far as I've been able to tell. And yes, you can have some games run in Canoe and others in Retroarch. It's just changing a command line in hakchi (with CE, you can do this pretty easily by right clicking on the game and choosing "select emulation core").
  • There's been a fix for the DQIII translation for almost 2 years now! This is the compatibility list you want to be looking at. It has the patch info, as well as the preset ID you need to use.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, guys! That's all great!

I've made a list of every SNES game I want in it, and turns out it's only 68 games, so space shouldn't be a problem.

I feel like I'm all set now, Im justing waiting for the console to arrive. It's going to be a long week.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me out here? I'm trying to get the english patched version of Sailor Moon Another Story onto my SNES classic.
- Patched my Sailor Moon japanese rom with the english translation patch. This gave me a .FIG file.
- I tried it on snes9x and it works perfectly.
- Tried to add it to my hacked (via hackchi) SNES Classic and it won't add the .FIG file. Changed the file type to .SFC and it adds and shows up on the system. But when I try to open the game I just get a black screen.
- Other games I've added via hackchi have worked perfectly, but this is the first time I've done it with a patched rom.
- I've tried a version where I remove the "header" (whatever that is) and one where I left it. Both give me the black screen.

Any ideas on how to get it to work? Thanks!

edit - if it makes a difference I hacked my SNES Classic forever ago. Like when the hacks first came out. So maybe I need to update it or something?