• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Whenever I want to put a new game onto the machine do I have to put in ALL previous games I've inserted too, or can I just add one here and there willy nilly without worrying about old games/folders?

Every time you add a game, it stays in the hakchi list. So you can keep adding or removing them as you see fit. Just remember that the games you see in hakchi are the games you will sync to the SNESC. So if you somehow delete all your games, it will also delete them from the SNESC.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So using the tool for a PCM patch, or a VC patch, makes the SNESC use less CPU so, it'll have better emulation that way, is what it means?

Allegedly.

Hopefully the MMX2 PCM patch makes the game not slow down so much on certain parts. I wish someone could test it out and see if it helps.

Oct 28, 2017
Every time you add a game, it stays in the hakchi list. So you can keep adding or removing them as you see fit. Just remember that the games you see in hakchi are the games you will sync to the SNESC. So if you somehow delete all your games, it will also delete them from the SNESC.

That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.

So what does that mean for folders? I've stuck a whole bunch of football games into a folder but I could only create said folder after I hit the synch button. Would I need to create that folder the next time I add a game or are all folders saved?

Last edited:

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So I'm interested in DarkAkuma's tool for optimization and best preset purposes, but I've already got a good 60 or so roms on there. Should I just run the tool, and replace whatever hakchi already made with the roms that were optimized by it?

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
It gets rid of the various anti-epilepsy measures if those bother you. For example the power bombs in Contra 3 will look very bright again, and in Donkey Kong Country the screen will flash white whenever Sqwaks turns around, as it used to in the original.

Is the anti-epi thing why theres so much flickering in Yoshi's Island?

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed illusion of Gaia isn't on Dark Akumas patch list, is that game still stuck in its current state with the black bar on the menu screen?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
All the Enix games work with patches now. (NOT using DarkAkuma's tool)

Illusion of Gaia's black bar on the title screen is the only issue, the rest works as intended

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.

So what does that mean for folders? I've stuck a whole bunch of football games into a folder but I could only create said folder after I hit the synch button. Would I need to create that folder the next time I add a game or are all folders saved?

Everything will stay the same. You'll get the folder dialog every time you sync anyway, so you can make changes if you want.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's been years since I've played it so I'm not sure I'd know one way or another. I'll give it a shot though.

You can notice it right away on the water level. Once the mechanical fish comes out, it will get really really slow, specially once it stars shooting. If it doesn't get really slow with the sfrom, then I guess the PCM patch helped.
Please note that there will be some slowdown since it was present on the original hardware too, but it wasn't molasses slow.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is the anti-epi thing why theres so much flickering in Yoshi's Island?

If you're referring to the the glitch with Fuzzies: that's just an emulation bug.

Otherwise I've found that if you add Yoshi's Island yourself, the first top row of pixels keeps flickering. That might be what he's referring to. My guess is that one of the memory patches included with the stock game either fixes it or tells Canoe to simply hide that row.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Otherwise I've found that if you add Yoshi's Island yourself, the first top row of pixels keeps flickering. That might be what he's referring to. My guess is that one of the memory patches included with the stock game either fixes it or tells Canoe to simply hide that row.

I mean with the included ROM it isn't perfect emulation, theres flickering in parts of scenes like in the first few worlds, it's really weird.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Does someone have Tengai Makyou Zero on their Snes mini?

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/79032y/how_to_get_tengai_makyou_zero_aka_far_east_of/

I read some have performane issues with other games because of the new Snes9X core needed to play TMZ...

"So with the new release as of (12-25-2017), I've been messing around with the newest Retroarch and snes9x to get this game to work.

Good news! IT WORKS!

Bad news! The new snes9x causes a bunch of my games that USED to work to not work. These include, but are not limited to: - Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension (now lags) - Super Metroid Redesign (music sound skipping and popping) - Tales of Phantasia (Won't play at all and causes the system to crash)

There are other games that also cause the system to flat out crash as well now. I've since reloaded the old snes9x and retroarch and everything is fine, albetit I don't have TMZ. Any thoughts on this?"

Oct 25, 2017
So I tried using the extra space module but after i turn it on the snes mini won't save any game and throws up a C4 error. Anyone know what I need to do to get it to work?

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
7pAW7ui.jpg

Random Boxart Update:

Happy new Year! I had a spare moment, and just couldn't help myself. I fired up Photoshop and I made an US SNES box adaptation of the Super Famicom cover art for Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers.

If you so desire to use or are new to the SNES Mini hacking community, you can find it and check out other custom arts in my gallery post! Enjoy~

prof.Killjoy

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a mini, a friend got a second one as a gift, and I lucked out! I'm excited and terrified to start messing around with all this stuff...

If all I want to do is add 8 of my favorite games from my collection that aren't on the base classic, (NBA jam TE, Turtles in Time, Chrono Trigger, Tactics Ogre, Mortal Kombat 2, Rock N Roll Racing, Mario All Stars, Sunset Riders), is there a certain method I should be using? Or should I go with what's outlined in the OP?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Just follow the OP, it's pretty foolproof.

Of those games, all are fine except for Rock n Roll Racing, which exhibits wrong colours on race results screens. Fully playable, though.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Finally got so annoyed with the community compatibility spreadsheet that I made my own. No need to list different versions of games, different ROM dumps, comments about Retroarch being better, and just generally incorrect information all the time. This will list good dumps of just US games unless a game didn't come out in the US, in which case it will list a conversion patch for PAL (and if it works) or a translation patch if one is available (and again if it works). If hakchi doesn't set the correct (or a good) Preset ID, I will list one to use. I will also be testing every single game myself, unless other people want to help as I actually trust ResetEra guys with this sort of thing over random internet people.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...OJTegxhQBdONFTfzZYzyrEQxs/edit#gid=1110385994

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Says I need to request permission. I was helping with the other sheet

What exactly was incorrect about the other sheet? Beyond the noooooobies using bad rom dumps and the people fucking up entries / deleting them

The problem with testing every single game is that there may be issues later on in the game. For example in Mystic Ark (AGTP Translation) one person got errors at certain points in the game, but only at those two specific spots. The rest worked as intended.

I mean I respect the hustle of course

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Maybe. I dunno, I just wanted to have a go. If it gets too much, I'll stop.

But I mean, look at Chrono Trigger on the one out there...

Preset ID 0x0C11 <-- doesn't change anything, why deleting all previous content of the cell? <-- Here's the old notes that were deleted: "Old fixes are "with some minor sound issues but anyway. <-- describe what kind of issues and where/when do they happen. <-- (I did but it was erased :) there are some high pitched noises when you switch either the world map or the menu, but it can be partially fixed with the command -no-lowlatency,

I use the rom dump with the following CRC: 2D206BF7 <-- A previous note said there were some high pitch noises when switching to the map or menus, but after a few hours of play I haven't noticed anything like that. Marking this as working.(Are you using Canoe or retroarch?) <--Please don't delete notes, only add to them. Even if a game is fixed, a note is helpful to others that might have an issue")." End of quote.

12-24 I'm having issues no matter what ROM where it will randomly black out and lock up. (using Canoe)

What?

I just want something a bit more moderated. People from here with experience and understanding of good/bad dumps, Preset IDs, what is and isn't a real issue, if a game boots or not, etc, will of course get permission to edit if they want to help. All I would ask is they they themselves have seen the game boot on their own machine and at least get into gameplay. Obviously very late game issues might not be picked up, but as any do, we can note them.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yea those posts were dumb too (especially Kirby Land 3 and the Mega Mans). I can help it's no big to me either way

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
got a snes mini for xmas and just go around to playing it. by using the op guide will it play NES games? I basically want to put the NES classic games on my SNES

demi

Oct 27, 2017
You would either need to dual boot to the NES Classic firmware (there should be resources about this), or set up Retroarch to play NES on the SNES Classic

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
I just ordered one of the wireless 8bitdo adapters for my wireless SFC30. It was just hanging around not getting much use so I figured what the hell. Anyone else use those yet?

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
I put in an access request also. I'd be happy to help and familiar with preset IDs, good rom dumps and correct checksums.
Would you consider adding rom hacks also or a separate section for them? Or just straight up regular SNES games. I only ask as you've mentioned translation patches

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I put in an access request also. I'd be happy to help and familiar with preset IDs, good rom dumps and correct checksums.
Would you consider adding rom hacks also or a separate section for them? Or just straight up regular SNES games. I only ask as you've mentioned translation patches

Hacks and Translations will have their own tab. I want to have a US tab, Europe tab (which will have additional info about 60hz conversion for that ROM), a Japan tab for pure untouched Japanese games, and then a Hacks/Translations tab.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the clean spreadsheet effort, Robin. Much more digestible and streamlined than the alternative.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Finally got so annoyed with the community compatibility spreadsheet that I made my own. No need to list different versions of games, different ROM dumps, comments about Retroarch being better, and just generally incorrect information all the time. This will list good dumps of just US games unless a game didn't come out in the US, in which case it will list a conversion patch for PAL (and if it works) or a translation patch if one is available (and again if it works). If hakchi doesn't set the correct (or a good) Preset ID, I will list one to use. I will also be testing every single game myself, unless other people want to help as I actually trust ResetEra guys with this sort of thing over random internet people.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...OJTegxhQBdONFTfzZYzyrEQxs/edit#gid=1110385994
This is an amazing effort. Didn't hacked mine yet but intend to do soon.
Thank you.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
You only need to do the reset button when first flashing the machine, or performing config changes that require it. When syncing games you should just need to click Sync and it kicks right in.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Finally getting my hands on one today and excited to dive in. Are all of the imported roms stored on the in-house flash memory? How much space is there?

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017

Thank for that.

I found the other on to be largely unreliable as I get the feeling that some were trying to mess it up. Would it not be better to make it so that only you van update it though? I'm not talking about people on here but if it's a good list it will get out there and it could end up being as hit and miss as the other one.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
In my journeys, I came across a ROM for Mario Paint with joypad controls. Can't link it, but what I have done is make an .ips patch from it. So you can play Mario Paint on your SNES Mini now, if you accept all your drawings will look crap.
Wow nice! Thanks Robin! So this makes me wonder if there are similar "patches" for things like Battle Clash or Bazooka Blitzkrieg...

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I'm super intimidated to try this. I really want to be able to add to this cool device that my wife got me, but very scared I could ruin it. I'm pretty tech savy, but not when it comes to hacking/homebrewing.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody played Mario Paint for the drawing anyway. It was for the fly swatter mini-game (which also probably plays like crap with a joypad)