• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I would think pretty much the same reasons as ever for using an emulator versus native(ish) hardware: you really need/want save states and are fine with compromising on accuracy. No shame there btw, I know I don't have enough time to play every game I want to, so save states and rewind are great features in my book. Otoh, being able to play stuff like Kirby's DL3 with proper transparency effects is super cool. Congrats on the Super NT, they look sweeeeeet.

Thanks. I probably won't mind the emu quality as much as some hardcore purists (I've been fine with the emulators on Wii but that's also on CRT).
I'm excited about the Super NT but, there's just that nostalgia of the look of the hardware and emu menus that are so nice that makes it hard to say no to getting a SNES CM.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Load the game with retroarch, press Start+Select to enter the retroarch menu, look around the options and select the core you want to load that game with, then look around for the option to save that specific configuration to that specific game.

There's another way that involves modifying the command line in hakchi, but I don't know how to do it. I believe there are youtube videos about it.

Ah ok thanks. If it works that way I'll just do that.

optiroc

Oct 28, 2017
Great job, thank you for the release. Do you have any other projects in the pipeline or was this a one-off?
Good question... :) I have some plans, but these things require a LOT of time and hard work so no promises. Super Famicom Wars has a "sister game" that's not properly hacked yet, you know... Hmm. ;)

zeomax

Oct 28, 2017
But what if I have more than one version of snes9x installed. Like snes9x2002 snes9x2005 and snes9x2010?
Snes9x
/bin/snes9x /usr/share/games/CLV-U-LYCFF/Game_Name.sfrom.7z

Snes9x2002
/bin/snes02 /usr/share/games/CLV-U-LYCFF/Game_Name.sfrom.7z

Snes9x2005
/bin/snes05 /usr/share/games/CLV-U-LYCFF/Game_Name.sfrom.7z

Snes9x2010
/bin/snes10 /usr/share/games/CLV-U-LYCFF/Game_Name.sfrom.7z

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The Super Famicom Wars translation patch is released!

Oh shit! I was browsing the RomHacking thread literally yesterday and bookmarked it to check periodically for its release. And you're the one who made the patch? I didn't even know you're a Reseteran! Thanks a million, man!

Everyone, don't sleep on this patch; he didn't just translate the game, he improved on it! Also remember pitt_norton has a custom NA-style cover for the game in his custom covers gallery.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
So it's been possible to boot the NES Classic "OS" (for lack of a better term) on a SNES Classic for quite some time now. Does anyone know if this works the other way as well? I only have a NES Classic.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Okay so i've been putting together a collection as a present for my partners siblings. One thing I have noticed is every time I update the games, the available space decreases every time. Its not the saves and I can see box art and actual roms actively decreasing space, that is expected but its gone from 230mb total space to 220mb total space to 215mb total space, etc I don't want to start from scratch but is there something I can do to clear any wasted space. There are no save states whatsoever as its not mine so they wouldn't be taking up space. Would reflashing anything fix this?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I might just bite the bullet on this.
With the stock machine: what's the max number of games you can put on it? 62 right? So then, how about folder max? Is it 62 max folders with X-number of games inside each one?
Does any one have any experience using the extra SD card adapter (OTG?)

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I might just bite the bullet on this.
With the stock machine: what's the max number of games you can put on it? 62 right? So then, how about folder max? Is it 62 max folders with X-number of games inside each one?
Does any one have any experience using the extra SD card adapter (OTG?)
It's 62 per folder. If you split your games between folders you can have more than that.

How many you can fit really comes down to how often you'll use save states, as those can eat up the space quickly if you're not careful.

Freewheelin

Nov 1, 2017
So, getting this for Christmas tomorrow and wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1. How do i add other emulators to it? Seen you could do N64 etc which would be quite cool.

2) how many games can I add to the system?

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any bugs or obvious improvements needed in the current build of Hakchi? I'm looking to do my mod one time and never touch it again.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
It's 62 per folder. If you split your games between folders you can have more than that.

How many you can fit really comes down to how often you'll use save states, as those can eat up the space quickly if you're not careful.

So for example, make 10 folders with 10 to 30 games in each etc, as long as they fit in the system memory, that'll work?
(Won't be using save states, have never liked them.)

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Okay so i've been putting together a collection as a present for my partners siblings. One thing I have noticed is every time I update the games, the available space decreases every time. Its not the saves and I can see box art and actual roms actively decreasing space, that is expected but its gone from 230mb total space to 220mb total space to 215mb total space, etc I don't want to start from scratch but is there something I can do to clear any wasted space. There are no save states whatsoever as its not mine so they wouldn't be taking up space. Would reflashing anything fix this?

Box arts will eat space, so make sure you compress them with PNGauntlet. Make sure you are not using some crazy hi-res boxart either. No need to have a 1-meg boxart for something so small.

If you have retroarch or any mod, that will eat up space too.

manksalot

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Are there any bugs or obvious improvements needed in the current build of Hakchi? I'm looking to do my mod one time and never touch it again.
The big one to my mind is if Cluster will add support for the flash drive/USB OTG adapter hmod stuff, that'll get me updating right quick - but if you're not interested in that, you're probably good to go right now.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I only have a MacBook Pro, has there been any strides in making these Classics hackable for people like me without having to run Windows on it? I'm just too lazy to switch the OS.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
You can't have 120 games without using folders. Well, you can, but your system will crash all the time. You need to use folders or pages.
Having more than 62 or 63 games without folders will cause the same issues that occur if you have too many games in one folder.
Thanks.

That's a bit of a shame, maybe I could tidy things up a little by increasing folder sizes over the default size as I'm trying to get rid of the split alphabetised folders up as some folders are split into two folders at the moment, something along the lines of SEC-SUP & SUP-SUP. With a bit of luck I'll be able to reduce that to a single S folder. I'll check after to see how many games there are and what I can do.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Just made a sprite thumbnail for Famicom Wars for those that use them:
6PNWQrC.png

Probably as good a time as any other to remind people of my sprite thumbnail gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwgV6PdDgkbBcDlOazNXVHQyYWc

optiroc

Oct 28, 2017
Oh shit! I was browsing the RomHacking thread literally yesterday and bookmarked it to check periodically for its release. And you're the one who made the patch? I didn't even know you're a Reseteran! Thanks a million, man!

Everyone, don't sleep on this patch; he didn't just translate the game, he improved on it! Also remember pitt_norton has a custom NA-style cover for the game in his custom covers gallery.
Thanks!

I'm not much of a Resetarian to be honest, I was most active on the original forum (ie. not the neo-thing) and mostly along for the ride these days... When threads about 16-bit tech I tend to wake up though. :)

Nice sprite thumbnail, how does the SNESC frontend look with such assets applied to everything?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks!

I'm not much of a Resetarian to be honest, I was most active on the original forum (ie. not the neo-thing) and mostly along for the ride these days... When threads about 16-bit tech I tend to wake up though. :)

Nice sprite thumbnail, how does the SNESC frontend look with such assets applied to everything?

Well that's as good an excuse to re-take screenshots as any, so here they are:
https://imgur.com/a/DK7Ts
Here's the one with Advance Wars:
giB5W8W.png

Open it in full size to better appreciate it. Personally I think it looks amazing, and it's so incredibly useful too. It's like a crazy character select screen.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks.

That's a bit of a shame, maybe I could tidy things up a little by increasing folder sizes over the default size as I'm trying to get rid of the split alphabetised folders up as some folders are split into two folders at the moment, something along the lines of SEC-SUP & SUP-SUP. With a bit of luck I'll be able to reduce that to a single S folder. I'll check after to see how many games there are and what I can do.

62 games will also produce crashes. Hakchi tells you to not have over 40 games per page. And if you don't want the icons on the bottom to go offscreen, then you can't have over 35 games/folder icons on a single page.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
The Super Famicom Wars translation patch is released!

A Merry Christmas to you too! An awesome gift to wake up to!

Indeed! I actually just recently enhanced the boxart with a "Only For Nintendo" label, as it most likely would have had in that release period!

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
My girlfriend bought me a Super Famicom Mini for Christmas!! I'm looking forward to doing a bit of dual-boot trickery

Oct 25, 2017
Got mine today from Amazon and loaded about 20 more games on there

Got my sister one for Christmas and I'm going to talk to her and see if she wants me to add some games for her too.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Uniracer's bug has still not been solved, correct .sfrom format or otherwise.

What the tool will excel at is getting rid of the little annoyances that cluster never bothered with, such as PCM support and minor bugs like the pause sound effect in Pilotwings. Definitely worth using for the more advanced/anal users among us.

A .sfrom is the ROM format that the SNES Classic uses. How we play normal smc/sfc ROMs on a SNESC is that we convert them to a .sfrom.

hakchi2 makes a sfrom when you click "Add More Games" and select a ROM, but when it does so it makes them poorly. Wrong bytes, bytes in wrong places, no PCM audio/SDA graphics, sets wrong Preset IDs or none at all, etc.

This tool addresses all that, but in addition I've compiled a database of patches that turn ROMs into the exact ROM that canoe expects, generally considered compatibility hacks. I call them VC Hacks.

For some this will just be a extra step you can take to feel more confident that the ROMs you install on your SNESC are better quality/more official. For others, some games will only work if created through this tool. (Like SFA2, as I won't be supporting those older .bat file patches anymore.) And for others, they will find it helpful to be able to adjust more settings like player count (for future multi-tap support), volume, etc.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Box arts will eat space, so make sure you compress them with PNGauntlet. Make sure you are not using some crazy hi-res boxart either. No need to have a 1-meg boxart for something so small.

If you have retroarch or any mod, that will eat up space too.
Nah its nothing like that. That uses up available space and you can literally see that data get used when you set thumbnails and such. I'm talking about the maximum space. I'd kinda packed this SNES Mini with a whoooole bunch of stuff but I kept noticing the maximum space drop. Not the space i'm using. Like if I had 120mg used and I dunno, say I edited the developer info, added a 100kb 90% quality JPG (Much smaller then PNGs and high enough quality) and then synced it, suddenly 5mb disappears from my maximum and i'm like "Wtf?"
Its weird. I went in and deleted all the unnecessary mods, hmods and engines for Retroarch so only what is necessary is on there and I saved maybe 5mb all up but i've seen the max space drop a few times and there are no saves on the console as of yet as its meant for someone else and I delete all the sram via save manager after I test a game. It has me scratching my head.

Can I just add a sram file via FTP if I don't want to start a game from scratch that I had been playing via emulator?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Uniracer's bug has still not been solved, correct .sfrom format or otherwise.

What the tool will excel at is getting rid of the little annoyances that cluster never bothered with, such as PCM support and minor bugs like the pause sound effect in Pilotwings. Definitely worth using for the more advanced/anal users among us.
What tool is this? Link?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any way to get the Roms off the mini?

I want to go through ff6 but if I could move the rom back and forth from the Mini to my laptop so I could play a little there, that would be rad

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got a classic for Christmas. Although now that I finally have one, I don't know if I want to actually keep it.

Are there any games on the SNES that are worth playing and don't have remasters/remakes/better versions elsewhere?