• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I was curious: how do you folks arrange your games collection?

I've stuck with the standard A-Z folder system, but I think I want to pick something that's a bit easier to sort out a large games collection. I'm not sure if I should go with genres (RPGs, Actrion, etc), companies (Konami, Capcom) or so on. Is there a way to copy the same game in multiple folders while keeping the same saves and save states across all of them (like Steam)?

Speaking of which, I do wish we had a "recently played" folder that just showed whatever last batch of games you booted up. This is a handy thing Steam also does, and it would be especially handy if consoles had this too (the Switch does this automatically, but lacks a folder option to better sort the games. PS4 and Xbox don't do this either).
Going off memory...
My main screen has games that I'll play anytime even for 5-10minutes.
Then I have folders for action, adventure, Nintendo, sports, shooters, RPGs (not Square or Enix), and lastly one each for Square and Enix. There might be a few more but that's the gist of it.

Nov 23, 2017
Hi there, I was wondering if someone can help.

I have the latest Hakchi CE and I wanted to run my games off my USB drive from San Disk. However, it's stuck at the Knock, Knock Hakchi screen when I boot up the Mini. However, if I run it without the USB, it'll do just fine but without the games i exported to the USB of course. What can I do to resolve this?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I was curious: how do you folks arrange your games collection?

I've stuck with the standard A-Z folder system, but I think I want to pick something that's a bit easier to sort out a large games collection. I'm not sure if I should go with genres (RPGs, Actrion, etc), companies (Konami, Capcom) or so on. Is there a way to copy the same game in multiple folders while keeping the same saves and save states across all of them (like Steam)?

Speaking of which, I do wish we had a "recently played" folder that just showed whatever last batch of games you booted up. This is a handy thing Steam also does, and it would be especially handy if consoles had this too (the Switch does this automatically, but lacks a folder option to better sort the games. PS4 and Xbox don't do this either).

It' okay to leave the menu alone and just play the games.

If you are worrying about that, then you aren't playing it enough.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Hi there, I was wondering if someone can help.

I have the latest Hakchi CE and I wanted to run my games off my USB drive from San Disk. However, it's stuck at the Knock, Knock Hakchi screen when I boot up the Mini. However, if I run it without the USB, it'll do just fine but without the games i exported to the USB of course. What can I do to resolve this?

Try running a chkdsk on the USB drive. Sounds like possible corruption, and usually chkdsk/error checking can fix it.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Wow, that actually worked, lol. I should have originally considered that. Thanks!

It's a fairly common problem! Normally if it can't read off the USB drive, the problem can mean either corruption or a bad OTG device, but since yours was clearly trying to load off if it (by being stuck on knock knock -- you can change that boot screen to something else, by the way!), I knew it was most certainly an issue with the USB drive itself.

Nov 23, 2017
It's a fairly common problem! Normally if it can't read off the USB drive, the problem can mean either corruption or a bad OTG device, but since yours was clearly trying to load off if it (by being stuck on knock knock -- you can change that boot screen to something else, by the way!), I knew it was most certainly an issue with the USB drive itself.
Am I able to disable that screen and just let it be black until the SNES menu loads? Good explanation on the issue.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Am I able to disable that screen and just let it be black until the SNES menu loads? Good explanation on the issue.

Yeah, normally you would hook your system to your PC and in hakchi click Tools --> Boot Splash --> Disable Boot Splash. But since you're using a USB drive, you'll also want to put a file called "boot.png" into your USB:/hakchi/ folder. It has to be a 1280x720 black image. There's actually one of these in your hakchi program's "data" folder called "blankBoot.png". Just copy it over and rename it.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't really tinkered with my SNES Classic is donkey's years, but with the recent news of Kirby's Super Star Stacker getting a translation, I was inspired to put together some icons for it. Tracing that custom logo of theirs was rather time consuming.

uc
uc
uc

I've kept them all here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_GS7fJ9OpQDandDZFhXRXZYN0k

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Haven't really tinkered with my SNES Classic is donkey's years, but with the recent news of Kirby's Super Star Stacker getting a translation, I was inspired to put together some icons for it. Tracing that custom logo of theirs was rather time consuming.

uc
uc
uc

I've kept them all here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_GS7fJ9OpQDandDZFhXRXZYN0k
These are great... thankyou I don't suppose you kept the higher res versions of these art works? I like to have the large originals to hand :)

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What for, no one will fix them for canoe and sluffy's gone.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Yeah, there was evidence a while ago that Canoe was the basis for the Switch emulator. If they are still using the ID system there might be some new nuggets to find.

At the very least all the work done on Canoe here and elsewhere might be used by Switch hackers to add more games to the Switch online service. This has already been done with NES games I think.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes very curious if all the Canoe work can be ported over as well. I don't have a hacked switch unfortunately.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
....or much more likely, some of the *new* ROMs.

The NES release on the Switch has 'Special' versions of a bunch of games. So you can start Gradius halfway through, or Zelda with full hearts and master sword, or whatever. There are lots of weird variants. If Nintendo do some similar releases for the SNES there may end up being a whole host of entirely new ROMs to rip off the system. I have no idea if anyone has done this for the NES, so far. My knowledge on Switch hacking is limited. But SNES is soooooo much more popular, it is more likely to have people trying.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The roms are not the problem, it's the emulator that has the IDs.

If you take one of the modified SNES Classic games (like Kirby 3) and replace it with a regular ROM, it will still show the modifications because it's the ID that has the modifications.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
1188017397302.gif

Yup. Very curious if they fixed that.
Still, if they gave it a pass on Classic they might not bother to fix it on Switch.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
What if they just end up being ROM fixes instead of an updated Canoe? Cuz if Canoe is updated, would that even be possible to use or port to the SNESc?

We don't know anything until it's out so we're just guessing. But I'm sure there will be interest in this by switch hackers when it's released. If it is Canoe based, there is information readily available already for them to work from.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
....or much more likely, some of the *new* ROMs.

The NES release on the Switch has 'Special' versions of a bunch of games. So you can start Gradius halfway through, or Zelda with full hearts and master sword, or whatever. There are lots of weird variants. If Nintendo do some similar releases for the SNES there may end up being a whole host of entirely new ROMs to rip off the system. I have no idea if anyone has done this for the NES, so far. My knowledge on Switch hacking is limited. But SNES is soooooo much more popular, it is more likely to have people trying.
The Special versions are just modified savestates that are packed with the original rom. The roms themselves are completely identical to the regular ones. You can easily check it if you dump the game from your Switch. I was actually curious if it would be possible to import these savestates into the NES Mini, but the format seems to be different.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So initial reports from the Switch SNES thread are that the touch fuzzy get dizzy bug has been fixed! I really hope someone can find a way to bring that to the SNES Classic!

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Won't happen unless there is a way to replace canoe with something else.

No one cares about actually improving Canoe, they just care about retroarch and having 10,000 games they will never play.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Some initial findings by DarkAkuma:

Ok. I've finally dumped this stuff and... heres the current Preset ID's of note.

0x123E = Stunt Race FX
0x1241 = Super Soccer
0x1244 = Wild Trax (this isn't confirmed yet, but its VERY likely)
0x1262 = Joe & Mac 2 (Likely to behave like 0x0000 on SNESC)
0x1266 = Super Tennis (Likely to behave like 0x0000 on SNESC)

VC patches? No. No patches at all for any of those it. Not even PCM. I'll check the other game later.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Got one little thing.

Stunt Race FX's PID is now confirmed to be 123E (1244 for Wild Trax), and using that on the SNES Mini means you don't have to use the "-boost-fx 1.25" argument, it just works fine with the PID.

Super Family Tennis is 124A but sadly does nothing on the SNES Mini. Way out of the PIDs that thing supports and into Switch exclusive ones now.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Got one little thing.

Stunt Race FX's PID is now confirmed to be 123E (1244 for Wild Trax), and using that on the SNES Mini means you don't have to use the "-boost-fx 1.25" argument, it just works fine with the PID.

Super Family Tennis is 124A but sadly does nothing on the SNES Mini. Way out of the PIDs that thing supports and into Switch exclusive ones now.

Whoa thanks Robin! At least some good thing came out of it! This is great because even the boostfx trick didn't entirely fix Stunt Race FX! I never bothered to report it but I found that if you have existing best times for courses, the best times panel would still glitch in some places!

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Whoa thanks Robin! At least some good thing came out of it! This is great because even the boostfx trick didn't entirely fix Stunt Race FX! I never bothered to report it but I found that if you have existing best times for courses, the best times panel would still glitch in some places!

Oh that's interesting! Can you see if the PID fixes that too? No reason it shouldn't, but let's be double sure.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Oh that's interesting! Can you see if the PID fixes that too? No reason it shouldn't, but let's be double sure.

I tried the new preset ID, completed a whole class, looked at all the time record pages, no glitches! :D

On a side I suspect that using the boostfx command made it possible to get faster times than normally possible, because all the times I'm getting now are way inferior than the ones on record. Guess I might have to scrap the save ram and start over!

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Someone made a translation for Power Soukoban. It seems like a game that you can play without english anyway, but it doesn't hurt to make it more official. It's basically a simple block pushing puzzle game with enemies that can attack you.
Not sure if there is much difference, but a more finalised translation patch for this has gone on the main romhacking site: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/4985/

Works fine on Canoe

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The SFROM format is fairly updated too. No longer has a header before the ROM, and doesn't include PCM data any more.

Super easy to get new games working in the SNES app on Switch if you hack your machine, but it's not something I'm going to do. Too much data gets sent to Nintendo, and I know we're going to get more games "regularly" anyway.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The SFROM format is fairly updated too. No longer has a header before the ROM, and doesn't include PCM data any more.

Super easy to get new games working in the SNES app on Switch if you hack your machine, but it's not something I'm going to do. Too much data gets sent to Nintendo, and I know we're going to get more games "regularly" anyway.

Yeah I'm not going to do that either until the Switch reaches its end of life and I won't mind getting it banned from online. But then I'm going to turn it into the ultimate home/portable emulation machine.

I guess there's no hope of extracting the Canoe core on the Switch and somehow importing that to the SNES Classic and add it the way we people add Retroarch?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah I'm not going to do that either until the Switch reaches its end of life and I won't mind getting it banned from online. But then I'm going to turn it into the ultimate home/portable emulation machine.

I guess there's no hope of extracting the Canoe core on the Switch and somehow importing that to the SNES Classic and add it the way we people add Retroarch?

Keep in mind Switch is much more powerful hardware than the SNES Classic. The Switch version of Canoe likely wouldn't be compatible with the SNES Classic hardware, and it's reasonable to assume that Nintendo got as much performance out of the Mini hardware that they could for the games they wanted to put on it.
A backport seems unlikely