• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
ok i tried this method, opening up nba jam TE, making a save, then using the hakchi interface to export the save, and import it to the hacked update of the game. didn't work, which is weird considering that process works fine on the pc. it seemed the importer wasn't really doing anything at all i don't think, despite also trying to rename the save. hmmmm, can life find a way....any way to convert a pc save from 9x to something the classic can import? or does this seem impossible?

Ok I've seen you post several times about this and you keep trying.

There's no way to transfer a PC emulator SAVE STATE to the SNES Classic and have the native emulator (canoe) recognize that save unless someone makes a converter for you (which would be pretty much impossible). You could theoretically make a save state with Retroarch on your PC and transfer that to the SNESC if you set the game to run with Retroarch too, but someone would have to make a converter for that too even if the SNES9X on the PC is exactly the same version as the one Retroarch uses for the SNESC.

The easiest way is to transfer a BATTERY SAVE (.srm) to the SNESC, but again, that requires a converter. There is one though, but you're on your own on that. If that game you're talking about doesn't have battery saves, then you are screwed.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Anyone know of a good site to get box art from? I'm pretty sure for NES Classic I used the libretro-thumbnails but some of the SNES ones are terrible (Chrono Trigger, in particular).
The built in Google search in hackchi2 works pretty well for me. So I would guess just using google images. Bing images surprisingly is good at giving you different images than Google sometimes.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I've seen you post several times about this and you keep trying.

There's no way to transfer a PC emulator SAVE STATE to the SNES Classic and have the native emulator (canoe) recognize that save unless someone makes a converter for you (which would be pretty much impossible). You could theoretically make a save state with Retroarch on your PC and transfer that to the SNESC if you set the game to run with Retroarch too, but someone would have to make a converter for that too even if the SNES9X on the PC is exactly the same version as the one Retroarch uses for the SNESC.

The easiest way is to transfer a BATTERY SAVE (.srm) to the SNESC, but again, that requires a converter. There is one though, but you're on your own on that. If that game you're talking about doesn't have battery saves, then you are screwed.
yeah a battery save would be fine. i just meant, the hakchi program has an option to export saves, and import them, but it didn't seem to be working. my point was on pc i did this
1) booted jam TE
2) made a battery save with my settings
3) renamed it so the hacked jam would use the save

i tried this exact thing with the import/export feature of hakchi and it just doesn't seem to do anything. i guess ill have to dig around for the converter, i just figured it would be easy since the games obviously use the exact same save data if i could just get the hack to recognize it as i easily did on pc by renaming it, sorry.
(all the hack does is change players pictures and names and stats, it doesn't affect the rom in any other way, it breaks the options mode though that's why on pc i made an initial battery save with my options, i never used save states nba jam TE has a battery feature to keep your record and settings)

i found this i think it's what you were alluding to ill give it a whirl thanx
https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/761m8j/srm_to_canoecloverclvs_converter/

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know of a good site to get box art from? I'm pretty sure for NES Classic I used the libretro-thumbnails but some of the SNES ones are terrible (Chrono Trigger, in particular).
For NA boxes, nintendoage.com is your best bet, though, since they are full scans, they require cropping.

For JPN and European boxart, you'll have to hope someone has made some nice art already. I've been working on European (UK specifically) art myself. They can be found here.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

I just use giant bomb, they have hi res scans of basically every box art for every region and I don't have any issues with cropping or anything when bringing them over

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Is there any reason an EBOOT.PBP that I've created myself won't run? I try to load it, specifying psx on the command line for RetroArch PCSX Rearmed, but all I get is a black screen and am returned to the SNESC menu.

I used PopStationGUI to generate the EBOOT from a cue/bin of my original PS1 game:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/566070-the-hanafuda-jarin-ko-chie

I've had no problems with EBOOTS I've downloaded of other games I own.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I just use giant bomb, they have hi res scans of basically every box art for every region and I don't have any issues with cropping or anything when bringing them over
They can be good for high-res versions of the cover art, but the box art itself is often mock-ups rather than scans:

https://www.giantbomb.com/images/1300-2363818

For example, this PAL version of the F-Zero box is all sorts of wrong; from the odd white border, the wrong Seal of Quality (PAL had a more circular one compared to the more squashed NoA version), to the art being more cropped than the original.

Like I said, as a resource for the art on the cover the site is good, used it myself, but I have had to combine it with scans/photographs found elsewhere.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Is the emulator less accurate than newest Snes9x?

I wonder if it would be better to run this on the SNES Mini instead
On one hand the built-in emulator "canoe" doesn't support 100% of SNES games.

On the other hand RetroArch has a multitude of other features and supports multiple systems.

I generally let canoe handle SNES games, unless there's an issue, at which point I use RetroArch. For other platforms I obviously use RetroArch.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
You forgot to mention the most important issue: the built-in emulator has less input lag.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is the emulator less accurate than newest Snes9x?

I wonder if it would be better to run this on the SNES Mini instead

Depends on the games. For games it fully supports, except Yoshi's Island, the stock emulator is more accurate. For everything else, Snes9x is more accurate. However Snes9x through Retroarch suffers from noticeable input delay which for some people (like me) is totally unacceptable, while others don't even notice. It depends how sensitive you are to delayed controls.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Depends on the games. For games it fully supports, except Yoshi's Island, the stock emulator is more accurate. For everything else, Snes9x is more accurate. However Snes9x through Retroarch suffers from noticeable input delay which for some people (like me) is totally unacceptable, while others don't even notice. It depends how sensitive you are to delayed controls.

Does Retroarch hardware sync option make any difference in input lag?

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
What's the difficulty level of hacking this thing for someone not used to this kind of stuff? I just got my hands on this and would love to plug some of my favorite SNES games that I've owned for 25+ years on this thing (omissions like SimCity, Pilotwings, Populous, ActRaiser).

Is there a video walkthrough? I started reading the steps in the OT, got to something about 'kernals' and felt like the unfrozen caveman. Visual aid tends to help me a lot. :p
Is there a risk of bricking it if I fudge up?

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
What's the difficulty level of hacking this thing for someone not used to this kind of stuff? I just got my hands on this and would love to plug some of my favorite SNES games that I've owned for 25+ years on this thing (omissions like SimCity, Pilotwings, Populous, ActRaiser).

Is there a video walkthrough? I started reading the steps in the OT, got to something about 'kernals' and felt like the unfrozen caveman. Visual aid tends to help me a lot. :p
Is there a risk of bricking it if I fudge up?

Extremely simple. Once you dump the kernel (which only takes a few clicks, and is facilitated by Hakchi2), there is almost no chance of bricking the system. Most of us in this thread were new to the process when we joined.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Extremely simple. Once you dump the kernel (which only takes a few clicks, and is facilitated by Hakchi2), there is almost no chance of bricking the system. Most of us in this thread were new to the process when we joined.

Thanks aidan.
I've gotten to the point where I'm trying to move roms into hakchi, but it's not letting me (trying to drag/drop). Does it matter if they are .sfc files as opposed to .smc?

Edit: Nevermind. Got everything working!!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Mega newb question, but... how do I actually open the hakchi application? I unzipped the file, which created a folder called "hakchi2-2.21f". Inside said folder are about a a hundred different entires, including folders and subfolders. What am I supposed to click on?

I'm also on a Mac, which I read on a different site isn't compatible with hakchi? But nothing in the OP mentioned anything of the sort, and I'm assuming there are plenty of other Mac users here.

I've never attempted anything like this before, which probably explains why I'm already floundering despite only being at step one :P

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Im going to do this over the Xmas break for sure. The dumb thing is I've still only played two of the 21 games that come installed...still need that Gold in Special Cup 100cc though. Stupid Donkey Kong jumping over everything I throw at him.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

(for this post I'm going to use latin numerals, JP for the Japanese versions of the games, and US for the original English SNES releases).

I believe it's the remake of FF3JP (the NES one with job changes that was remade on DS and then ported pretty much everywhere). I don't think there's a port of FF6JP (3US) to PS4.

So to answer the original question, John Frost, they're completely different games. The PS4 one is a remake of FF3JP, while the SNES one was the US rebranding / reenumerating of FF6JP (because 2JP, 3JP and 5JP weren't released outside Japan until years later, and 4JP was rebranded as 2US; confusing, I know). Personally FF6JP is my favorite Final Fantasy, while I didn't enjoy the remade 3JP all that much.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Hey guys, is the SNES version of FF III the best one? I was wondering since I also have the game on PS3.
I think the SNES version is the best, even more so if you patch it with something to get rid of the censoring and bugs.

The PS1 port has terrible load times. The GBA port suffers from the low resolution of its screen, bad quality music, and questionable script changes. The mobile port is basically just a reskinned version of the GBA port, but with SNES music; it still suffers from less screen real estate compared to the SNES, and the performance was hideous in the Windows version I played. The added post-game dungeons in the GBA and mobile ports aren't worth the downgrade.

I believe it's the remake of FFIII (the NES one with job changes that was remade on DS and then ported pretty much everywhere). I don't think there's a port of FFVI (3US) to PS4.
I think they're just referring to the PS1 classic version of Final Fantasy VI on PS3.

The FF3 remake is on PSP, not PS3 or PS4.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Sorry if this had been covered, but do EU/JP (with translation patches) work on the US SNES Mini?

I bought import copies of Terranigma (to complete my Quintet collection) and Front Mission years ago, so I'd also like to add those to my collection on the SNES Mini. Saw the FAQ answer about PAL ROMS, but does that also apply to JP games as well?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So Friday night I finally plan to sit down and hack my 2 snes classics for xmas gifts I'm giving out. Is the link in the op the most up to date list of what is or isn't working? Of what I was planning to add for my sisters Lion king, bust a move, and super bomberman 2 are flagged. Anyone know if the issues those games have are noticeable enough that it would ruin their enjoyment? Or is it a "if you didn't know you wouldn't know" kinda thing?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So Friday night I finally plan to sit down and hack my 2 snes classics for xmas gifts I'm giving out. Is the link in the op the most up to date list of what is or isn't working? Of what I was planning to add for my sisters Lion king, bust a move, and super bomberman 2 are flagged. Anyone know if the issues those games have are noticeable enough that it would ruin their enjoyment? Or is it a "if you didn't know you wouldn't know" kinda thing?

Didn't you read the descriptions from the compatibility list? They say that for Lion King and Bust a Move, they're minor graphical glitches that don't hinder gameplay. For Super Bomberman 2, it says that there might be more slowdown than normal. Most likely a false positive because we've seen countless and countless posts of people forgetting that some SNES games had pretty horrible slowdown going on real hardware.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
None if you are a normal person. A bit if you are sensitive to it.