• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any kind of pack of background images for the snes classic?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Alright, thanks guys.

Woh, that's something. So changing it back won't mess something up? Wonder why it's like that in the first place..

edit: Well I did it. I changed it hundreds and hundreds of times. Hope nothing bad comes of it.

You know you could have just selected all the games and batch-modify the command line :P

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hah... aaaa!!! I did think something like that might have been possible, but I wouldn't know where to start. Maybe it would be simpler than I thought. Doh!

Select the games you want, right click, select Core, and there you can batch-modify the command line for all the games you selected.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Very few hacks corrected their checksum, but it's not ever been an issue. No emulators will stop a game with a bad checksum from running, if it stops it's because of something else.
Do you mean in general, or just in regards to SNES emuIation? Because like I said before, Genny roms and emulators tend to be more fickle.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've never had any trouble with roms with bad checksums. You are either using very old emulators, or are using very old roms dumped with iffy methods.

I have lots of translation patched SNES, Genesis, NES, etc., games and I've never had any issues with the games not running due to bad checksums.

If you have a game that doesn't load and it says it has bad checksum, that means the actual ROM dump is bad and not that it's not loading because the checksum is bad.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Guys, can someone test this? I changed the fade in value in Megaman 2 to 1.1 and the sound lag seems to have disappeared?

I shoot and it feels like the sound is instant now. But then again, I didn't really notice there was a lag in the first place, so I might be imagining it.

But can someone check or do a video test comparing the two?

Just in case, here's what the values do:

The left value determines WHEN the video will appear, and the right value determines the fade in of said video.
The higher the left value, the longer it will take for you to see video. The higher the right value, the longer the fadein with take. You'll literally see the screen going from dark to clear if the right value is too high.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
^ I could definitely produce some 60fps videos, what are the two values we want to compare, 3,2 and 1,1?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
^ I could definitely produce some 60fps videos, what are the two values we want to compare, 3,2 and 1,1?

Yes, 3.2 is the default.

I noticed that with 1.1, Megaman 2 has a flash now before the game loads, which is something actual NES games did, but were removed by Nintendo in emulation. The effect still happens with regular PC emulators.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It definitely feels a lot better at 1,1, though I hope that's not some weird psychological thing going on because I expect it to be better. I'm generally not very good at spotting this stuff unless it's super extreme, but for sure it feels different between the two settings.

(Be sure to view at 720p60)

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, why do you get a hakchi logo when going back to the menu? And why does it take so long? In mine, it's instant.

Thanks for the video, I'm not good at noticing these things either. Maybe someone can do a side by side with a timer or something. That's the only way to really tell.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ah ok, I thought it took that long to go back to the menu.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
My global has 3,2 but my individuals say 10,2. Global supersedes right? I can't test it right now because it's 4:30am and I was just browsing while putting my kid back to bed but I'll toss it over to 1,1 and see if it's what we think it is.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You should change the added games to 3.2 too. I already reported it to the hakchi team and apparently for next version the default will be 3.2 for everything, just like the original games.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Both of those settings seems the same to me.... who can we find that's super anal about this sort of thing

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Huh, turns out all mine were still 3,2.

Can't get my NES Mini to be recognized since I haven't attempted anything with it in like 2 years so I guess I'm good.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds a LOT better with the sync set to 1,1.

I'll probably hack my snes again and try dual boot to check this. The sound delay was the only thing that made want to use retroarch with a NES core on SNES OS, rather than dualboot for NES and SNES.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do these value changes have to be applied for each game, or is it a global change that affects all of them?

I'm pretty interested if this actually fixes the sound delay issue. I got over it long ago by having all games run through RetroArch, but I was still bummed that I would have to essentially ignore the default included games. Having the default emulator perform as it should would be convenient, even though there don't seem to be any lag or performance problems using RetroArch (as opposed to SNES, which seems to STILL not run as perfectly as the default Canoe emulator).

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Do these value changes have to be applied for each game, or is it a global change that affects all of them?

I'm pretty interested if this actually fixes the sound delay issue. I got over it long ago by having all games run through RetroArch, but I was still bummed that I would have to essentially ignore the default included games. Having the default emulator perform as it should would be convenient, even though there don't seem to be any lag or performance problems using RetroArch (as opposed to SNES, which seems to STILL not run as perfectly as the default Canoe emulator).
I just did it last night. You click on a game, scroll through the command line to near the end and you should see the "10,2" value and just change the 10 to a 3. As far as I can tell you have to do it individually for each game.

I didn't notice any difference in the in-game audio delay (though I didn't test it thoroughly), it seemed to be more about adjusting the audio fade in when you start or resume a game.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just did it last night. You click on a game, scroll through the command line to near the end and you should see the "10,2" value and just change the 10 to a 3. As far as I can tell you have to do it individually for each game.

I didn't notice any difference in the in-game audio delay (though I didn't test it thoroughly), it seemed to be more about adjusting the audio fade in when you start or resume a game.

With Hakchi CE you can select all the games, select core, then change the command line for every game you picked.

It doesn't adjust the audio, it adjusts the time it takes for the video to appear.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No matter what, I can't run Ilussion of Gain and Power Rangers Fighting Edition

Oct 25, 2017
Got DQ1+2, DQ3, and DQVI working with a bit of effort yesterday. Played DQ1 to the end :)

When I first got mine DQ3 was not working and that made me sad but now that it is, I might have to play it with a controller this time instead of on mobile.

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
No matter what, I can't run Ilussion of Gain and Power Rangers Fighting Edition

They both need patches to work correctly with Canoe. Patches have to be applied on the correct Rom though (prefer the ones from no-intro Romset = (USA) at the end ( (!) is from old Goodsnes set : not entire reliable here)

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
A little ashamed to admit this, but... I started playing Chrono Trigger for the 1st time ever this week. It really is fantastic fun.

I did the same with Terranigma a few weeks ago, and got a little frustrated with it. It's not always clear what you are supposed to be doing, and it disrupts the flow a bit. The menu system is also really horrible.

Chrono Trigger glides along smoothly, and the menu system feels slick and intuitive.

Both games have bags of character, but the music and general atmosphere of Terranigma win out for me. The Chrono Trigger music feels really simplistic and repetitive compared to Terranigma. I appreciate Chrono Trigger's simple story, because the momentum is so good and the diversity of settings and characters. Terranigma's story feels deeper, but undermines itself sometimes with just the way it handles.

Anyway. Just my hot takes on two classic RPGs.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Youre like so wrong on CT music, youre prob still in the early stages. But your hot takes are about right for the most part

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah no Chrono's music is just leaps and bounds above Terranigma it's not even funny. Keep playing Chrono more.

Otherwise they're legit first impressions.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
just keep playing CT, you about to hear some of the bangers which will make you regret your words

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Terranigma (and Illusion of Gaia) are games I wish I would have played at their time of release. I probably would have appreciated them more back then, as I did with Soul Blazer. But I'm glad to have finally played through them both last year.

One day I'll finish Chrono Trigger. I've attempted it a few times, most recently with the DS release. But I've had a hard time with it, because the first few times it was via emulation on PC, which never holds my attention, and I dislike playing games on handheld systems nowadays. Once I get around to it on my SNES Classic, I'm sure I'll properly enjoy it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone here play with the Chrono Trigger + mod? I've always been curious what exactly it adds to the game (allegedly it adds "missing content"), but last I checked it also won't run on Canoe.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Tested Fire Emblem translation. No good unfortunately. Need to use Retroarch just like Project Naga translation.

Aug 18, 2018
Has any one had any issues playing us roms on the super famicom classic? I was playing Mega Man X and when I got to the top portion of the level in Ice Penguin's stage, through using the mech suit to jump up there, I ran into an problem. When I shot that little base, the game took me to the screen that shows me getting the ice shot and then after that it took me back to the intro level. I tried doing the same thing and I got the same error.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Has any one had any issues playing us roms on the super famicom classic? I was playing Mega Man X and when I got to the top portion of the level in Ice Penguin's stage, through using the mech suit to jump up there, I ran into an problem. When I shot that little base, the game took me to the screen that shows me getting the ice shot and then after that it took me back to the intro level. I tried doing the same thing and I got the same error.

That is very weird, but in terms of emulator, it is identical across regions. Do you have a verified good dump of the game?

Edit2: On further inspection, it seems to be a bad dump that is still floating around the internet.