• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sushigod7

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a step by step process on applying patches for Terranigma? I have the NTSC patched ROM the preset is right but no sound still. I know I'm just missing a step any tips? edit: I'm guessing I need to do an additional patch that isn't in the rom? idk

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So what happened to Terra? Rush job?

Couldn't really say. Different hacker, different priorities. But yeah, they changed the font then basically left it at that. They didn't realign it in text boxes, so everything is shoved over to the left with the right hand side of boxes empty. They didn't adjust menu pointer positions.

(They also didn't rewrite the script to take advantage of the new space like FuSoYa did with Secret of Mana, but that's entirely a preference thing)

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Couldn't really say. Different hacker, different priorities. But yeah, they changed the font then basically left it at that. They didn't realign it in text boxes, so everything is shoved over to the left with the right hand side of boxes empty. They didn't adjust menu pointer positions.

(They also didn't rewrite the script to take advantage of the new space like FuSoYa did with Secret of Mana, but that's entirely a preference thing)
Since you're familiar with both versions, you prefer the original, yeah?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I played through Terranigma last year without the font fix and thought it was perfectly fine, but I haven't even seen what it looks like with the fix.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Since you're familiar with both versions, you prefer the original, yeah?

Yeah, absolutely.

I played through Terranigma last year without the font fix and thought it was perfectly fine, but I haven't even seen what it looks like with the fix.

It's quite nice, but has the problems I mentioned. I think it needs a bit more work, but that's not likely to happen.

P6CG15d.png

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
The preset ID 9C10 is added by default in hakchi for this game (as SA-1 was detected and 9C10 was a base for that on the first hakchi versions), but a ton of other configuration SA-1 preset ID/extra byte value give the same result.
However, in all cases, the save state/rewind feature make this game glitched. I contacted the creator and he send me this kind answer : a bunch of test wait after that (if some players do these before I had time to make them all, it shoud be also appreciate ;) ) :

https://github.com/VitorVilela7/SA1-Root/issues/1

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Has anyone tried the SA-1 Mario World patch? See if that exhibits similar problems.

And I don't mean hacks that also use the SA-1 patch, as they may do more, but a vanilla Mario World with the SA-1 patch only.

Krozur

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a question that perhaps someone can answer. I've tried searching on Reddit and Google and couldn't find a solution. I'm using RetroArch and playing the FF Advance games. There is some nice choppiness with the music whenever you get in an airship on FF4A. Is there any setting I can tweak on the emulator to fix that or is that just a limitation of the emulator and the mini?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
The preset ID 9C10 is added by default in hakchi for this game (as SA-1 was detected and 9C10 was a base for that on the first hakchi versions), but a ton of other configuration SA-1 preset ID/extra byte value give the same result.
However, in all cases, the save state/rewind feature make this game glitched. I contacted the creator and he send me this kind answer : a bunch of test wait after that (if some players do these before I had time to make them all, it shoud be also appreciate ;) ) :

https://github.com/VitorVilela7/SA1-Root/issues/1

I'm at work, but it sounds like you just assigned the task to yourself. If it can help understand even a little bit how Canoe works that is a huge step forward

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
I'm at work, but it sounds like you just assigned the task to yourself. If it can help understand even a little bit how Canoe works that is a huge step forward

I can't do these tests now too, (have to wait some few hours yet), but indeed the most important result should be some steps more (even small steps) to better understand Canoe and maybe lead to other fixes in the future ?

EDIT : Ok, tested a lot of things (new pid/extrabyte value/ add command line arguments) : no results and I could'n seriously tested what it was suggested, just because save states on Canoe need to quit the game, and if you quit and resume it, well it's always glitched CQFD....
Just to mentionned funny things like Kirby's 3 preset ID : you can't be touched and can not touch in return (the ransom of invincibility) but with also a game more glitched than ever. Or extra-byte value at 06 : you recover almost the same slowdowns the original game had (it was known this value lead to graphical slowdown but it's a bit unexpected with this patch)

Last edited:

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
So I have a question that perhaps someone can answer. I've tried searching on Reddit and Google and couldn't find a solution. I'm using RetroArch and playing the FF Advance games. There is some nice choppiness with the music whenever you get in an airship on FF4A. Is there any setting I can tweak on the emulator to fix that or is that just a limitation of the emulator and the mini?

Are you using mGBA? There are a number of GBA games that cannot run full speed in mGBA on the NES/SNES Classic. For these, you usually want to use gpSP. But in order to use the gpSP core, you also need to have the GBA bios installed on the system.

Krozur

Oct 27, 2017
Are you using mGBA? There are a number of GBA games that cannot run full speed in mGBA on the NES/SNES Classic. For these, you usually want to use gpSP. But in order to use the gpSP core, you also need to have the GBA bios installed on the system.

I am using mGBA, I'll look into gpSP.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I modded by SNES classic with hakchi2 two years ago, I wanted the to keep the built-in UI so I didn't use retroarch (sp). It was a bummer that half the games I flashed didn't work (Knights of the Round, Tetris Attack, Street Fighter Alpha 2) but at the time I didn't know any other options.

• Is there an updated step by step guide to flashing your SNES classic from 2019?

• Do any of the hakchi updates fix game compatibility?

• If not, is there a singular place to find all the necessary patches for each game to work on canoe?

I found a Google Doc on Reddit but it only lists a game as "currently working" without any distinction for whether it needs a patch or where to find that patch. And if the rom is mistitled then is there something that fixes it?

Sorry and thank you to anyone that points me in the right direction here. If nothing here has a good answer, I'm open to starting from scratch and using retroarch.

Last edited:

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I modded by SNES classic with hakchi2 two years ago, I wanted the to keep the built-in UI so I didn't use retroarch (sp). It was a bummer that half the games I flashed didn't work (Knights of the Round, Tetris Attack, Street Fighter Alpha 2) but at the time I didn't know any other options.

• Is there an updated step by step guide to flashing your SNES classic from 2019?

• Do any of the hakchi updates fix game compatibility?

• If not, is there a singular place to find all the necessary patches for each game to work on canoe?

I found a Google Doc on Reddit but it only lists a game as "currently working" without any distinction for whether it needs a patch or where to find that patch. And if the rom is mistitled then is there something that fixes it?

Sorry and thank you to anyone that points me in the right direction here. If nothing here has a good answer, I'm open to starting from scratch and using retroarch.

Beyond what Robin64 has said about where to find patches, there are still some games that won't run on Canoe and you'll need Retroarch +SNES9x for those. It seems to be a common assumption that putting Retroarch on the console replaces the NES/SNES Classic's UI, but that is not the case. You simply launch the game from the same UI like any other game; the system then launches it in Retroarch.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Beyond what Robin64 has said about where to find patches, there are still some games that won't run on Canoe and you'll need Retroarch +SNES9x for those. It seems to be a common assumption that putting Retroarch on the console replaces the NES/SNES Classic's UI, but that is not the case. You simply launch the game from the same UI like any other game; the system then launches it in Retroarch.
Ok thank you, I may search for a Retroarch install guide and start from scratch. Using my 8bitdo SN30Pro controller has helped me rediscover my love for the SNES classic. Shame about the input lag, heh.

Screw Retroarch. And hakchi updates did nothing to fix compatibility.
Go here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...h8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y/htmlview?sle=true#
Download the patch for the game you want to fix.

This is the list that I was referring to as not being helpful to my particular issue. The games that don't work for me aren't referenced as needing a patch (ie Tetris Attack just simply reads as "working") so I assumed that my issues were beyond what was presented in this doc. I'll reference some of the urls in the description at the top of the spreadsheet and dig a little bit deeper.

Good chance that I'm a dummy and just missed a vital detail haha.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Make sure you have good ROMs, too. There are so many floating around out there that are just shite, and while they "work fine" on emulators, Canoe is more picky. The no-intro pack is what you want to find.

My Tetris Attack works fine and its CRC-32 is 6C128210.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Make sure you have good ROMs, too. There are so many floating around out there that are just shite, and while they "work fine" on emulators, Canoe is more picky. The no-intro pack is what you want to find.
Ha, yeah my rom collection was shared by my friend about 15-20 years ago.

I've never heard of "intro" or "no-intro" roms, assuming it doesn't mean roms that have a homemade intro like a small few GBA roms used to? I don't have any like that, I don't think I've ever seen that in a SNES rom before.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I did put a little note up top on that document

- If a game is marked as working and you still have issues loading, double check your ROM (no-intro preferred) or patching method for headers (headers = bad).

Is there something confusing about what I said? Should I make the font bigger? Bolder?

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Sadly, I use Retroarch for a few games that don't play nice with Canoe... Earthworm Jim 2, NHL 96, Puzzle Bobble (Bust a Move), Super Family Tennis, Ganbare! Daiku no Gen-san... and then I have it for MSU games and non-snes games, obviously

demi

Oct 27, 2017
It's suggested to use Retroarch for incompatible games, but to me it's just bloat when Canoe runs 90% of games I want to play anyway. I will live without a few games (or play them on the myriad of devices already running emulators...)

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I did put a little note up top on that document

Is there something confusing about what I said? Should I make the font bigger? Bolder?
No, that wasn't confusing (outside of me not initially knowing what no-intro means). I think it's just difficult to tell when a rom just needs to patched (after being able to use it for 20 years on my PC Emulators). I'm still struggling to learn what patch I need.

Nah, "no-intro" refers to a group that curates and packages releases of only the good ROMs. Though it is called that because their initial goal was to remove those GBA intros that you refer to.

http://www.no-intro.org/
Ah, that makes sense- thank you!

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Oh god what have I done....

As some of you suggested, I redownloaded many of my roms.

I also re-read through that Google doc and some of this comments in this thread. It sounded like my best bet was to download SFROM Tool from DarkAkuma, download the patch pack and extract them into the patch folder, open individual roms in the SFROM program and re-save each of them as an SFROM file before adding to hakchi.

I did this for every single game I have. It took me hours. I then re-flashed my SNES Classic and booted it up. Everything looked great.

Nope. Only 4 of 25 games work now. Almost every single game I added now boots with a black screen and a "C7: An Error has occurred" message when I try to restart. Even games that used to work on my last flash now no longer work. I also cannot turn off my SNES Classic. Instead I get a "C8: An Error has occurred" message and it just stays on.

Is there an easy process that I can run every single rom through as a failsafe? It's clear to me that converting every rom as an SFrom with DarkAkuma is not a "catch all" method. I also tried to find "no-intro" versions. Outside of a massive 3gig file, I couldn't find anything that seemed to help (it's still downloading 4 hours later). I found this Dato-Matic website through the spreadsheet and No Intro but I don't want to mess with it yet until I know which options I should check off.

I'm so frustrated.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god what have I done....

As some of you suggested, I redownloaded many of my roms.

I also re-read through that Google doc and some of this comments in this thread. It sounded like my best bet was to download SFROM Tool from DarkAkuma, download the patch pack and extract them into the patch folder, open individual roms in the SFROM program and re-save each of them as an SFROM file before adding to hakchi.

I did this for every single game I have. It took me hours. I then re-flashed my SNES Classic and booted it up. Everything looked great.

Nope. Only 4 of 25 games work now. Almost every single game I added now boots with a black screen and a "C7: An Error has occurred" message when I try to restart. Even games that used to work on my last flash now no longer work. I also cannot turn off my SNES Classic. Instead I get a "C8: An Error has occurred" message and it just stays on.

Is there an easy process that I can run every single rom through as a failsafe? It's clear to me that converting every rom as an SFrom with DarkAkuma is not a "catch all" method. I also tried to find "no-intro" versions. Outside of a massive 3gig file, I couldn't find anything that seemed to help (it's still downloading 4 hours later). I found this Dato-Matic website through the spreadsheet and No Intro but I don't want to mess with it yet until I know which options I should check off.

I'm so frustrated.

You should really look up something like "SFROM Pack" on sites like, I don't know, archive.org.

What you're downloading is probably a complete romset so it's ok in that they're clean versions of the roms, but it has a lot of games that you're not interested in (and that's why it's so big)

Whatever you do, you should start from scratch. And be careful with the amount of games you have on any given folder. You shouldn't see more than 60 games per "page"

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You should really look up something like "SFROM Pack" on sites like, I don't know, archive.org.

What you're downloading is probably a complete romset so it's ok in that they're clean versions of the roms, but it has a lot of games that you're not interested in (and that's why it's so big)

Whatever you do, you should start from scratch. And be careful with the amount of games you have on any given folder. You shouldn't see more than 60 games per "page"

No more than 40 per page/folder. 60 games will definitely give you C8 errors.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
There is so much confusion around SNES Classic hacking, and the bloodshed is getting more and more tedious.

I have been thinking for a while of writing my own guide, and trying to make it as comprehensive as 3ds.hacks.guide is for hacking 3DS systems. But I just don't have the time to put into doing the whole thing myself. I was wondering...

Would anyone here be interested in working on something with me? We can break down a proposed guide into sections (like 3ds.hacks.guide) and have a focus on Canoe and SFROM Tool, with retroarch spinning off and pointing to modmyclassic.com or whatever. Once we decide what the guide needs to contain, we can delegate between us and write a section each. It just needs a very simple HTML structure (or be built on a simple WordPress install), and I wouldn't have thought it would need more than 10 branching pages. I have server space we could use, and I would even buy a URL.

So, page 1 would say 'Have you hacked your SNES classic before? yes or no', and that would create two options to go to, and another branch might say 'Do you want more than 100 games on your system? use external USB / don't use USB' etc. It's not brain surgery, but the sheer amount of time wasted helping people is insane. The 3DS modding community is a fantastic model for this, and 3ds.hacks.guide is now just the go to guide for everyone.

Who would help me out with this?

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
3ds hacking requires much more than a snes classic, lol. You dont need to build a site to tell them "install hackhi. Then run it. Youre done" because it really is that simple. Also that Patton guy made like zillion youtubes already.

Some people just arent, well, savvy enough. You could build your little site and people would probably STILL screw it up. Just look at the people on the reddit posting about flashing the wrong kernel???? Like how? Lmao. You cant save everyone. Those people should just pay people like me to do it for them and be done with it. Thats how business works baby.

As for DarkAkuma, hes kind of a grumpy old man stuck in his ways. I dont use his tool and feel theres no immediate need to use his tool unless specified. But I do give people the option and point people to where they can learn more about it and come to their own conclusion. If anything, a youtube or site explaining how to use his tool should be made because THAT is what is most confusing for people. Also he doesnt really seem up to date on current updates like most of us, going by his recent posts in that thread.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I disagree. I think the main confusion comes from how badly the Reddit page is moderated (i.e. not at all) and the focus of the HakchiCE crew on all that playstation and retroarch stuff.

3DS hacking is more technically difficult. But there are a lot more individual choices when playing around with a classic.

If I was new coming into this, I would figure it out, but I would also make some mistakes along the way. It is confusing, and there's no solid guide through the woods.

DarkAkuma's work has gone a long way to making this process easy and extendable. I personally think his main mistake was insisting on the order of the preset ID, therefore conflicting with the original hakchi and creating all sorts of unnecessary headaches. But I guess you can't take the perfectionism out of some people.

I still think a guide site would be good.