• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nabbed this bad boy from a lightning deal: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBQBZ5F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great on Switch. If I want to use it for the SNES Mini, I assume I'd need a bluetooth adapter? Will any adapter do the trick?

Is there a type where I can connect it to the controller port of the Mini? If not, I'll have to look for a USB extender/hub so I can add both the bluetooth and the memory storage (I'd also be interested in a third port so I can get my arcade stick working too).

StrictFilter

Jan 8, 2018
Nabbed this bad boy from a lightning deal: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBQBZ5F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great on Switch. If I want to use it for the SNES Mini, I assume I'd need a bluetooth adapter? Will any adapter do the trick?

Is there a type where I can connect it to the controller port of the Mini? If not, I'll have to look for a USB extender/hub so I can add both the bluetooth and the memory storage (I'd also be interested in a third port so I can get my arcade stick working too).

Yeah, you'll want an 8bitdo receiver, which hooks up to the controller port.
Like this:
8Bitdo Retro Receiver for SNES Classic, SFC Classic and NES Classic (Bluetooth) - Super NES; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076B995TL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4S4WCbD45WJE7

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, you'll want an 8bitdo receiver, which hooks up to the controller port.
Like this:
8Bitdo Retro Receiver for SNES Classic, SFC Classic and NES Classic (Bluetooth) - Super NES; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076B995TL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4S4WCbD45WJE7

I actually have this receiver, which works with the SNES Classic: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQWUT0Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I use it for 8bitdo's SNES controller. Can the controller I posted also work with the receiver?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this was talked about (this is a large thread and using search ain't helping me) but has anyone been able to rip the games off the SNES Classic and then like... convert them or something so they're the right "format" (sfrom vs sfc or whatever) to use with emulators or flash carts?

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
So I've been playing FF7 and FF9 and I'm really enjoying them with the added speed feature they implemented. I'm interested in playing FF6 with a speed up feature as well. Alright I know purists will scoff at this but I never had the commitment or time to put into these games until now with these features so is there a way to speed up gameplay on SNES Mini currently available?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So I've been playing FF7 and FF9 and I'm really enjoying them with the added speed feature they implemented. I'm interested in playing FF6 with a speed up feature as well. Alright I know purists will scoff at this but I never had the commitment or time to put into these games until now with these features so is there a way to speed up gameplay on SNES Mini currently available?

No, unless you hack it and use retroarch.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this was talked about (this is a large thread and using search ain't helping me) but has anyone been able to rip the games off the SNES Classic and then like... convert them or something so they're the right "format" (sfrom vs sfc or whatever) to use with emulators or flash carts?

But why? All the ROMs where already available before the system came out.
If you're asking because of StarFox 2, then that was already dumped too.

manksalot

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
So I basically agree with you - a person can get the same files from a good recent romset (starfox 2's full final version was released with the snesc). But I can sorta see one reason a person might want to copy their snesc roms, is because they feel like they "own" those roms, and figure they basically purchased a license to have them and emulate them. (Note: I'm not a lawyer and I'm not advocating for this position or saying it's 100% okay, legally speaking - I don't know!) Making a personal copy of files you purchased is a fairly reasonable thing to want to do, and some people just do not want to go through the steps to find a good and recent romset. Which is an ok choice for a person to make. Even if it is probably easier :p

As to JustinH 's original question - you should be able to use hackchi and ftp the files off the snesc, and then you can use these instructions from DarkAkuma over on reddit, and hopefully that'll sort you out.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
So I basically agree with you - a person can get the same files from a good recent romset (starfox 2's full final version was released with the snesc). But I can sorta see one reason a person might want to copy their snesc roms, is because they feel like they "own" those roms, and figure they basically purchased a license to have them and emulate them. (Note: I'm not a lawyer and I'm not advocating for this position or saying it's 100% okay, legally speaking - I don't know!) Making a personal copy of files you purchased is a fairly reasonable thing to want to do, and some people just do not want to go through the steps to find a good and recent romset. Which is an ok choice for a person to make. Even if it is probably easier :p

As to JustinH 's original question - you should be able to use hackchi and ftp the files off the snesc, and then you can use these instructions from DarkAkuma over on reddit, and hopefully that'll sort you out.
Yeah, I'm just the sort that only likes to have roms of games I dumped myself. I was planning on getting a Super NT and don't currently have any Super Nintendo games and thought it'd be nice if I could have some more to play on it when I get it until I get some more carts (the ones that work without extra hardware in the carts I guess). It was super easy to do for the NES so I was hoping I'd be able to do it with the Super Nintendo too.

And thank you manksalot . I do remember just glancing at that page before and I guess not reading it throughly. I saw "python scripts" and didn't see the sfrom2sfc tool linked there. I've already downloaded some other tool from DarkAkuma's website, but it like supposedly goes the other way and I couldn't find a readme for it to see if I could have it do the opposite. Thanks again!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. From the product description:
"
  • Compatible with all 8Bitdo controllers and arcade sticks
"

Awesome, thanks. Good to know I can just try it right away on my SNES without buying another adapter.

It works great on the Switch: playing Octopath with a SNES-style controller really adds to the retro experience.

The only thing I don't like is that it seems I can't use the controller to wake the Switch up from Sleep Mode, which also means I have to change the grip order to make the SNES controller the primary controller every time.

Don't suppose anyone knows if there's a way around that?

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Awesome, thanks. Good to know I can just try it right away on my SNES without buying another adapter.

It works great on the Switch: playing Octopath with a SNES-style controller really adds to the retro experience.

The only thing I don't like is that it seems I can't use the controller to wake the Switch up from Sleep Mode, which also means I have to change the grip order to make the SNES controller the primary controller every time.

Don't suppose anyone knows if there's a way around that?
You just have to power the switch on yourself. Then the controller should sync immediately, even before you go into the main menu.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So something weird is going on with my SNES mini. I hadn't used it in over a year, but today I decided to upgrade from Daphne's hackchi2 v2.21 to CE v3.5.3. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, but then I tested it and I notice none of the newly added games worked, only the ones I imported from the past build, the new ones just kick me back to the main menu.

I also noticed that the reset shortcut won't work despite having the setting on, it's pretty weird. I even tried changing the button combination to no avail. I even tried a factory reset, deleted all traces of hackchi2 and installed CE from scratch, synced the games again and nope, nothing. I'm pretty lost.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
So something weird is going on with my SNES mini. I hadn't used it in over a year, but today I decided to upgrade from Daphne's hackchi2 v2.21 to CE v3.5.3. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, but then I tested it and I notice none of the newly added games worked, only the ones I imported from the past build, the new ones just kick me back to the main menu.

I also noticed that the reset shortcut won't work despite having the setting on, it's pretty weird. I even tried changing the button combination to no avail. I even tried a factory reset, deleted all traces of hackchi2 and installed CE from scratch, synced the games again and nope, nothing. I'm pretty lost.
Are you syncing to NAND or using external USB?

Though you did a full reinstall and started again, I would recommend doing that one more time, but maybe slightly differently.

Do a backup of all your save games in hakchiCE (1st install). Install another copy of HakchiCE to its own brand new folder (new install), with no games. Copy your kernel image from 1st install DUMP folder to the new DUMP folder. Load up HakchiCE new install and do a full uninstall and reinstall of the kernel. Now this is the bit that might help: open up the folder containing the 1st install of HakchiCE. Open up the games_snes folder. Do a search in this folder for *.sfrom.7z This should load all your game files. Now load up the HakchiCE new install and drag all these SFROMs into the new install. You can then go through and make sure all the game info and artwork is sorted out (there's a way to auto load all the old artwork too, do a search for *.png -small in the location above, this should load all your artwork. Copy these to the folder in HakchiCE new install labelled art or something (sorry, can't remember). In hakchiCE you can search this folder to allocate the art if you right click all your new games).

Now do a full sync, and you can even import your saved games if you want at this point. Hopefully everything will be working.

A couple of other things you might look into: this tutorial from PattonPlays covers the transition from one hakchi to the other. This recent post on reddit has some cryptic clues to follow to a goldmine.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018
Wait, are you saying that you're playing PS1 games on a SNES? How?

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
PS1 and N64 truly are the 'lost' console generation, imho. I tend to feel that the games on both those systems now look awful and are clunky as heck to play. It's a shame

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
PS1 and N64 truly are the 'lost' console generation, imho. I tend to feel that the games on both those systems now look awful and are clunky as heck to play. It's a shame
Since Saturn had a lot of 2d games (and a few 60fps 3d fighting games), I really like going back to many of those games.

Playstation had some great 2d games too. Maybe less so for n64 though.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you syncing to NAND or using external USB?

Though you did a full reinstall and started again, I would recommend doing that one more time, but maybe slightly differently.

Do a backup of all your save games in hakchiCE (1st install). Install another copy of HakchiCE to its own brand new folder (new install), with no games. Copy your kernel image from 1st install DUMP folder to the new DUMP folder. Load up HakchiCE new install and do a full uninstall and reinstall of the kernel. Now this is the bit that might help: open up the folder containing the 1st install of HakchiCE. Open up the games_snes folder. Do a search in this folder for *.sfrom.7z This should load all your game files. Now load up the HakchiCE new install and drag all these SFROMs into the new install. You can then go through and make sure all the game info and artwork is sorted out (there's a way to auto load all the old artwork too, do a search for *.png -small in the location above, this should load all your artwork. Copy these to the folder in HakchiCE new install labelled art or something (sorry, can't remember). In hakchiCE you can search this folder to allocate the art if you right click all your new games).

Now do a full sync, and you can even import your saved games if you want at this point. Hopefully everything will be working.

A couple of other things you might look into: this tutorial from PattonPlays covers the transition from one hakchi to the other. This recent post on reddit has some cryptic clues to follow to a goldmine.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply, that worked out perfectly! For some reason hakchi refused to recognize my box arts with your method, even when I correctly prepared the SNES folder and all, so that took a while, but it's just a small annoyance since I kept them well organized anyway.

Now I'm getting an error C8 on shudown for some reason, though I hear that may be due to having too many games? I have 68 displayed and don't like to use folders. But again, that's a small annoyance, no big deal.

Also that "goldmine" is plenty useful as well lol.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you so much for the detailed reply, that worked out perfectly! For some reason hakchi refused to recognize my box arts with your method, even when I correctly prepared the SNES folder and all, so that took a while, but it's just a small annoyance since I kept them well organized anyway.

Now I'm getting an error C8 on shudown for some reason, though I hear that may be due to having too many games? I have 68 displayed and don't like to use folders. But again, that's a small annoyance, no big deal.

Also that "goldmine" is plenty useful as well lol.

Having more than 40 anything in a directory will cause C8.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I have 68 displayed and don't like to use folders. But again, that's a small annoyance, no big deal.
I wouldn't recommend keeping a C8 shutdown. It means having to redo the settings everytime you boot, and can cause other issues. I made a selection of cover images to be used for folders. I personally use them in conjunction with br1ans image pack, and my machine looks, and navigates real nice. (there's also square cover art for many games here, but not everyone likes square format).

yKn9f3Hm.png

You can separate games into genres, like I do. Or just have one folder for like 'Games I don't play much' and keep 40ish games right there on the main screen.

Last edited:

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Sorry to bump for a very silly question, I could not find a concrete answer for this ...

Recently I hacked my SNES Classic for the first time using 2.21f, added the games I wanted etc, ... all seems to work great.
Now I want to add a few more games; I understand that this implies resync of all the games I already added, correct? my question is, what happens to battery saves and to savestates that I have on the SNES when I resync with Hakchi?
You came to the right place... this is home of the 2.21f fan club :-D

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's not a fix, that's a nuisance. Gradius 3 would be impossible without the slowdown.

Oct 27, 2017
Hello guys! I've a question, the thread is quite large, so, apologies if this has been asked before. I've been gaming with my modded snes mini for a while now, and want to include some new games. However, I don't want to lose my save states (or "suspended points"). Is there any way to add more games without losing my game progress?

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Hello guys! I've a question, the thread is quite large, so, apologies if this has been asked before. I've been gaming with my modded snes mini for a while now, and want to include some new games. However, I don't want to lose my save states (or "suspended points"). Is there any way to add more games without losing my game progress?
Your save states won't get deleted when you add games. They shouldn't do, anyway. Load up HakchiCE and use it to backup your kernel and then install the custom one. At this stage you should be able to go to the save states menu in the program and do a backup, just in case. Then you can add your games etc. If you want to save yourself a lot of time, check out this post on reddit and do some bold googling.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I love all the activity around SNES at the moment... This looks promising:

Someone's Working To Fix SNES Shooter Gradius III's Slowdown Issues

What other chip/reprogramming overhauls like this would you like to see?

I'd love if they could do this with Super Castlevania IV. Some parts of that game absolutely crawl when a lot is happening onscreen, like that room with the spinny background and the bridge that crumbles into bats as you cross it.

Anyway, the Gradius III patch is out and it works in Canoe with a preset ID of 109C!

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Nice. I was playing Ghouls n' Ghosts today and thinking this hack would do wonders (even the 'restoration' patched version isn't perfect)

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Good, stop cheating. You wanted no slowdown, you get a harder game. Them's the tradeoffs

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Have you tried other PIDs and the special byte combos?

No, not yet. Just confirming what a few other commenters said in that reddit thread. I hadn't tested a suspend point when I first played, but this morning I did and yeah, the Vic Viper becomes a garbled mess and so do the powerups. Maybe other things do as well when you progress through the level.

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
When I first reported this issue on the reddit thread I've already tested before that, several combinations with an extra-byte of 0B and several non-SA1 preset ID. But, 8010, 7F10, 3A10, 3C10 and 3D10 (the 2 first, konami preset ID and the 3 last, Gradius 3 preset ID) lead to exactly the same (bad) result. The rewind feature is particularly useful for this type of game, but now you clearly can't use it. Play it as if you have an original SNES with an hack Rom : don't cheat with a cheating game ^^
Btw, a lot of other sprites are glitched (not only power items or ship) like the Sand dragons for example

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Since this SA1 version of Gradius II doesn't work on the SD2SNES and causes these issues on Canoe with save states, I'd say we are dealing with a beta release here. Worth letting the dev know, he seems pretty responsive to feedback. Maybe you arkiokin are a good person to send him a message, since you tried all the presets etc.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Since this SA1 version of Gradius II doesn't work on the SD2SNES and causes these issues on Canoe with save states, I'd say we are dealing with a beta release here. Worth letting the dev know, he seems pretty responsive to feedback. Maybe you arkiokin are a good person to send him a message, since you tried all the presets etc.

I played through the entire first level on an SD2SNES, It runs fine