• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Missed that in the OP, thanks.

Bummer that there doesn't seem to be a resource that collects all the custom borders people created (unless they just stopped making them). Would've loved to replace a few of the ones I've grown bored of.

Well I have this page, which has ones people submitted as well as a random selection at the bottom I couldn't tie back to anyone in particular.

http://robin64.co.uk/customborders/

And the auto-generator, of course.

http://robin64.co.uk/autoborder/

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I bought mine a few weeks ago, and hacked it in a single night (I had hacked a friend's NES Classic before, so I knew a little about Hakchi). After following some guides, I also got it working with a USB flash drive and PS3 controller (wired). It's not really complicated, and it's fun to mess with the little console.

Games running with different emulators still launch from the regular UI. No matter the console or emulator, they appear in the menu just like the original SNES games.

How are you using a PS3 controller?

And yes, running games via RA is just like running them with Canoe, but, to tweak anything about a game with RA is that you have to use the old RA interface which is cumbersome.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018

And yes, running games via RA is just like running them with Canoe, but, to tweak anything about a game with RA is that you have to use the old RA interface which is cumbersome.

Is there a newer Retroarch interface than that XMB-style one? Because that's what Retroarch on the NES Classic and SNES Classic is using now. I know that around the time I first hacked my SNES Classic last year, the version of Retroarch available was definitely different from what's out there now, though.

Also, you can use a PS3 controller with an OTG hub.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I bought a USB hub that has 3 USB inputs, one Micro USB output cable that goes into the SNES Classic (or NES, I think that's compatible with the USB host mod too), and one Micro USB power input into which I plugged the cable that came with the console, to power the entire setup. I put a flash drive with the ROMs (exported via Hakchi) into one USB input, and the PS3 controller with its cable into another. Both Retroarch and DraStic (DS emulator) recognize it automatically (although I had to configure the controls manually in the latter), but Canoe games don't. So if you want to use it with SNES games, you'll have to run them through Retroarch.

One thing I noticed is that, in order for the PS3 controller to work properly, it needs to be connected before turning on the console. Also, the first time you launch a game through Retroarch you'll have to press the PS button once, or else it won't work. Afterwards, you won't need to do this again until the next time you turn the system on, meaning that you can change games without having to press it again as long as you don't shut it down. It's strange and I have no idea why it works that way, haha.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
You need to patch the games. Do it manually or use the SFROM Tool + Patches to accomplish this
Thanks - I now see where the removal of compatibility notes is mentioned by Robin's subsequent post at the start of the thread and have set up the SFROM tool in hakchi. Illusion of Gaia's sorted, save for minor graphical issues, but still no dice with Terranigma... I'll see about investigating further when I get the chance, though that may need to wait for next weekend now.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I bought a USB hub that has 3 USB inputs, one Micro USB output cable that goes into the SNES Classic (or NES, I think that's compatible with the USB host mod too), and one Micro USB power input into which I plugged the cable that came with the console, to power the entire setup. I put a flash drive with the ROMs (exported via Hakchi) into one USB input, and the PS3 controller with its cable into another. Both Retroarch and DraStic (DS emulator) recognize it automatically (although I had to configure the controls manually in the latter), but Canoe games don't. So if you want to use it with SNES games, you'll have to run them through Retroarch.

One thing I noticed is that, in order for the PS3 controller to work properly, it needs to be connected before turning on the console. Also, the first time you launch a game through Retroarch you'll have to press the PS button once, or else it won't work. Afterwards, you won't need to do this again until the next time you turn the system on, meaning that you can change games without having to press it again as long as you don't shut it down. It's strange and I have no idea why it works that way, haha.

That's a pretty cool set up. I didn't know multiple USB were possible.
And I guess I finally gotta update my RA cuz the XMB style is so much better. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Thanks - I now see where the removal of compatibility notes is mentioned by Robin's subsequent post at the start of the thread and have set up the SFROM tool in hakchi. Illusion of Gaia's sorted, save for minor graphical issues, but still no dice with Terranigma... I'll see about investigating further when I get the chance, though that may need to wait for next weekend now.

If you're seeing graphical issues in Gaia (I assume the black rectangle on the menu?) then it hasn't applied the patch properly. Which would be why Terranigma hasn't worked either.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
If you're seeing graphical issues in Gaia (I assume the black rectangle on the menu?) then it hasn't applied the patch properly. Which would be why Terranigma hasn't worked either.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm seeing. Perhaps I just need to try patching manually rather than via the hakchi plugin, unless you can think of anything else to try in particular. Cheers.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Are you using Hakchi -itself- to patch games or are you using the SFROM Tool addon? You need to download Robin's patches to go along with SFROM Tool as well, the tool by itself doesn't do anything to help.

Alternatively if you are comfortable, you can just patch the files yourself manually. Either way is fine

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Hakchi itself, with the tool and patches in the designated folder, then "enabled" within Hakchi.

Make sure the .cnp patches are in the sfrom_tool/patches folder and not the hakchi/patches folder. That comes up every now and then.

If you're using the debug version of hakchi CE, it'll tell you if the patch is being applied in the command window. Keep in mind it'll only apply the patch when you first add the game to hakchi.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Trying to remove and add some games and having issue here.

I hacked the snes mini using an old computer that I dont have anymore. In the new computer Hakchi did not recognized my snes mini. I am using the latest version 2.31. I flashed the kernel again and everything seemed to go well but when I restart the snes while connected to my pc it's turning on for a few seconds then off. So I can't ftp to retrieve the games I had installed before. What am I doing wrong?

Also I don't see the option in Hakchi to enable sfrom_tool? Did they remove it? How do I patch the games. Sorry but the OP is not very useful in that regard.

Thanks!

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Make sure the .cnp patches are in the sfrom_tool/patches folder and not the hakchi/patches folder. That comes up every now and then.

If you're using the debug version of hakchi CE, it'll tell you if the patch is being applied in the command window. Keep in mind it'll only apply the patch when you first add the game to hakchi.
Thanks - that is indeed where the patch files are; the command window did seem to show the patches applying.

I've now tried using the SFROM tool directly, with different results - Illusion of Gaia's just not running at all (C7 or C8 error), while Terranigma runs, but without sound or music. I think that I may just go back to my RetroPI for these two!

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Thanks
I am using the latest CE version now and getting the same on/off issue. The snes can't stay connected. I also installed the drivers prompted by Hakchi and same issue

Your PC might not be supplying enough power to the SNES. Try a different USB port. Usually a rear USB port is best (if using a desktop) in situations like this.

Thanks - that is indeed where the patch files are; the command window did seem to show the patches applying.

I've now tried using the SFROM tool directly, with different results - Illusion of Gaia's just not running at all (C7 or C8 error), while Terranigma runs, but without sound or music. I think that I may just go back to my RetroPI for these two!

Weird! Any idea what rom set your roms are from? It's generally recommended to go with a No-Intro set.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Found my issue. While connecting my snes mini to my pc I also had the hdmi plugged to a screen and that caused a power issue. Just removing the hdmi cable made it work.

Thanks for the suggestions.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
You probably need to set up some sort of VM on Mac? There have been posts about it probably here and on reddit, but I can't help you unfortunately. Hopefully you have access to a PC

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Is anyone here similarly knowledgeable about the old NES Classic Mini? I picked up and hacked a SNES Mini and had a great, easy experience, but I'd love to get a similar setup for the NES.

I know I can run NES on the SNES Mini, but I prefer to have the actual NES unit for the aesthetic. It's just as easy to hack, right?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It's basically exactly the same process except you don't have border options and don't have to worry about game Preset IDs.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone here similarly knowledgeable about the old NES Classic Mini? I picked up and hacked a SNES Mini and had a great, easy experience, but I'd love to get a similar setup for the NES.

I know I can run NES on the SNES Mini, but I prefer to have the actual NES unit for the aesthetic. It's just as easy to hack, right?

It's also worth noting that the NES emulator does have a slight delay in audio and some games will not work due to mappers (but at least 98% of all games will run just fine). It doesnt bother me personally but it can be one of those things where if you notice it then it will bother you. In this case, other emulators like FCEUMM are apparently good choices to run instead.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Also, the 4:3 scaling on the NES Mini isn't as good as the SNES Minis and you get pixel shimmer as games scroll. Other emulators don't have this problem.

Man, thinking about it, kachikachi is not great.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Also, the 4:3 scaling on the NES Mini isn't as good as the SNES Minis and you get pixel shimmer as games scroll. Other emulators don't have this problem.

Man, thinking about it, kachikachi is not great.

It's excellent for a plug and play device I think. I'd rather not deal with the spiderweb that is Retroarch, so the internal emulators suit me fine

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Oh I still use it too. Still slowly working through testing all the games. Inferior in many ways it may be, but it's still the official method and as such I will defend it til the day I die.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's also worth noting that the NES emulator does have a slight delay in audio and some games will not work due to mappers (but at least 98% of all games will run just fine). It doesnt bother me personally but it can be one of those things where if you notice it then it will bother you. In this case, other emulators like FCEUMM are apparently good choices to run instead.

I've been playing the NES Classic a lot lately and I have not noticed any sound lag at all. Maybe if I compare them to the original I could tell, but without doing that, it all seems and plays perfect for me.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm pretty happy with how things are for my system. Not doing anything elaborate, as I'm content with the guts the base emulator offers. And I'm not going overboard with dumping a shitload of games to the system either, as I'm limiting myself to games that either didn't have an official NA release or will never be re-released in their original format. (Such as NBA Jam or Goof Troop.)

I'm going to add four additional boarders (three of which are my own design, and one is heavily inspired by one of the boarders from that SNES/GB cartridge), and I'll dig around to see if there are any QOL additions that complement the base SNES Classic.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I've been playing the NES Classic a lot lately and I have not noticed any sound lag at all. Maybe if I compare them to the original I could tell, but without doing that, it all seems and plays perfect for me.

It's the kind of thing I really only noticed in Mega Man at first. Also, because I played the hell out of Castlevania as a kid, I immediately realized the chain whip sound was wrong too (as in, slightly different from the original game). Not a dealbreaker for most people, but it got me to switch to fceumm.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Question:

If I install retroarch on my snes mini, can I still choose to run some games with canoe? or is it pointless.
Does canoe run the games it supports better?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Question:

If I install retroarch on my snes mini, can I still choose to run some games with canoe? or is it pointless.
Does canoe run the games it supports better?

Yes. The commandline dictates what the game runs with. You can have a combination of both.

And yes, Canoe runs the games it supports better, namely by having almost nonexistent input lag.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
You can do both.

The short answer is yes it is pointless as Retroarch can generally run games better, where Canoe might struggle or not run, and is much more configurable (almost labyrinthian).

The long answer is Canoe has the benefit of lower input lag and ease of setup and use. (this wound up shorter than the short answer)

Ultimately it is all preference. But yes you can run both - Retroarch can run games that Canoe cannot run or support very well.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks

Is the input lag the same as like running on a raspberry pi or worse?

Depending on your Pi settings, usually worse.

emaKcVJ.png

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone verify if it's possible to run the Super Metroid and A Link to the Past combo randomizer on the classic?

Tried adding it but all I got was a black screen. Not sure if I made a mistake somewhere or if it's incompatible.

zeomax

Oct 28, 2017
I have noticed that some added games uses "/var/games/xxx" as a path and other have "/usr/share/games/xxx".
All games works so what is the difference between this two?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm sure everyone has seen that Sega revealed their Mini console in Japan. Looks amazing and comes out this year.