• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
Real quick questions here:

1. Is it possible to brick the SNES?
2. How good is this instructional video to setup hackchi?

Edit: I also use a Mac... does this matter regarding setup?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Real quick questions here:

1. Is it possible to brick the SNES?
2. How good is this instructional video to setup hackchi?

Edit: I also use a Mac... does this matter regarding setup?

Only thing I'd add is you'll probably want to choose to dump the factory kernel first, as this is basically the safest way to avoid bricking the system. Basically, if anything were to go wrong, flash back to factory settings and your SNES will act like you've not done a thing to it. See the OP of this thread for more details.

As for Mac, well hakchi is a Windows only application, so you'll need a way to run Windows for it. I personally dual boot so I just run a native Windows environment, but others have used a virtual machine version of Windows with no problems.

I also notice he doesn't really cover the problem of thumbnails going off the screen if you add too many games. For that you'll need to find the games folder if your Hakchi directory and manually replace the thumbnail image files for each game with smaller images.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I also notice he doesn't really cover the problem of thumbnails going off the screen if you add too many games. For that you'll need to find the games folder if your Hakchi directory and manually replace the thumbnail image files for each game with smaller images.

Or just don't put over 30 games in a folder.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
As I can get a SFC Mini fairly easily compared to the impossible to find SNES Mini, I too would really like to know this is someone does.
So I grabbed myself a Japanese Super Famicom Mini, do I need to do anything special to hack it and put it into English? Or is it all just there in Hakchi already?

Ideally I want: my NES Mini for NES games, SNES Mini for SNES games, and SFC Mini for GameBoy, GBC, GBA, and Genesis games.

Mostly because I have so many GB/GBC/GBA games that I've never played because of how much I dislike playing handhelds, and Genesis because I don't think I have any way of playing the handful of Sega games I still have (Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles, Ristar, Sonic Spinball). Since I never had a SFC before I don't feel the weird nagging urge to keep it "pure" like the NES/SNES so I wanna just dump all my other Nintendo system games onto there. I wish I could put DS games on it too but of course that wouldn't work for obvious reasons. I assume it's not strong enough to emulate N64? I can't remember where we were on that the last time I really looked into it.

I wish it didn't require a $300+ hardware mod to allow DS/3DS to send video to a TV ):

Unless someone has made an english translation patch for the japanese snes mini kernel, which is a no afaik, then you would have to obtain a back up copy of an english language kernel, which is copyrighted and thus illegal to distribute outside of personal use..

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Weekend update:

TuQjbzn.jpg

- Alternate boxarts for Alien 3 (bluray poster looked nice - thought I's use it), Sim City, Soldiers of Fortune (with The Chaos Engine artwork and styled logo), Super Adventure Island (to sit nicely next to Super Adventure IsIand 2 on your menu), Super Turrican 2 re-tweaked, International Superstar Soccer Deluxe was reconstructed, adjusted and slightly altered (for your health)
- Some Sailor Moon boxart requests
- Secret of Evermore, Goof Troop boxart restorations (previous updates got a re-tweak as well)
- ... and some sort of posting glitch ;)

Edit: Forgot to link haha!! Find them at my gallery post!

Last edited:

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Unless someone has made an english translation patch for the japanese snes mini kernel, which is a no afaik, then you would have to obtain a back up copy of an english language kernel, which is copyrighted and thus illegal to distribute outside of personal use..

So more than likely, no translation patches will be made because anyone who wants to do this will just find a way to get a US or EU kernel back-up...

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been able to figure out how to get that smoother 4:3 scaling that the SNES Classic has into the NES Classic via hack to essentially eliminate shimmer?

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure everybody will have different opinions but I'm just wondering which filter people consider to be the most accurate in terms of scanlines? I've been watching a few videos on YouTube, which I know isn't perfect but I'm really liking the look of ZFAST CRT, what do people think about this filter in terms of SNES games? I will only be playing SNES games on this so it doesn't really matter how it works with other platforms.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
So I grabbed myself a Japanese Super Famicom Mini, do I need to do anything special to hack it and put it into English? Or is it all just there in Hakchi already?
There's a mod you can download to patch it in Hakchi. I'm on mobile at the moment so I can't link it, but it is possible. I just did it myself. It's nice since that means it'll still say Super Famicom at the bottom compared to having to install the European version.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

Well I'm not interested in doing anything illegal, would using the kernel from my own US SNES Mini be OK?

There's a mod you can download to patch it in Hakchi. I'm on mobile at the moment so I can't link it, but it is possible. I just did it myself. It's nice since that means it'll still say Super Famicom at the bottom compared to having to install the European version.
Oh snap, awesome!

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Little off topic here but when do you thik we wil see a n64 min?
Personally, I think 2019. They said that SNES Mini was gonna be through the end of 2017 and then the NES Mini reprint is next summer/fall. While I suppose they could have the NES and N64 Mini on the market at the same time, I don't think they will.

Here ya go:

http://www.rendezvo.us/snes/sfc_eng_menu_hack-0.4.hmod

In Hakchi, select Modules, then Install Extra Modules and check it off. It should then flash your SFC Mini with the patch module.
Awesome, thank you!!

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
They extended the SNESC to 2018 too.
Ah yeah that's right. I could MAYBE see them doing a GameBoy Classic, if that's a thing, since it's "not competing" as a handheld VS console, in 2018. But I think their plans got switched around when the NES Mini situation blew up in their face. N64 Mini totally would have been 2018 otherwise IMO.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
How do you add more games? Just connect the snes to the PC, start Hakchi and add them?!
If you're starting from scratch you'll need to flash the custom kernel too. See the OP for instructions.

If you've already done all that, yep, it's just a case of adding games to Hakchi, plugging in your SNES and syncing it.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, topped out at about 80 games and I'm out of space. :(

Finally got the MAME roms to work though, so I have pretty much all I want.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even touching my Ps4 or Switch anymore.
Here I am...25 years later....playing Super Nintendo and having fun with the best games ever made. Most of these games still look amazing. Easy to play, easy controls....just fun to play. I'm feeling like 25 years younger....watching Takeshi's Castle on TV, playing Pokemon on my GameBoy...etc. Thank you Nintendo.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Chrono Trigger for the first time through this, bought it a while ago on Wii but never got around to playing it, wow, game holds up REALLY well.

DanMagz

Oct 27, 2017
I need some help getting CPS1 and CPS2 games running. I've followed guides on youtube to no avail. I've been trying to get Captain Commando and Alien Vs. Predator running. Can anyone help?

Last edited:

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
I'm not going to be doing it yet but I want to be prepared for when they simplify the process a little. For adding USB storage, is this the type of USB OTG adapter that I'd need to get? It does have a passthrough for the power and the na separate USB input for the USB Flash Drive.

90 degree Left Angle Micro USB 2.0 OTG Host Adapter M to F with USB Power - Amazon.co.uk

41Iyg%2BEUc%2BL._SX425_.jpg

41Aob05IzFL._SX425_.jpg

Wait.. will this actually work?! Like plug and play just add USB storage?

SP33Dl2acer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's this about a usb storage hack for SNES Mini? Will that be part of Hakchi in the future?
Wait.. will this actually work?! Like plug and play just add USB storage?
Been reading up on it and I'm quite excited how it's looking on this front. It's a little more complicated than just using Hakchi to import more games directly to the Classic, but there's talks that it will be integrated directly into Hakchi at some point. You'll need an OTG Micro USB passthrough adapter to do it. The one that Glenn Gould asked about should work. Look up USB-HOST Expandable Storage Modification.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Chrono Trigger for the first time through this, bought it a while ago on Wii but never got around to playing it, wow, game holds up REALLY well.

Playing Earthbound for the first time....wow.....WOW.
Graphics really don't matter (to me at least). This game is fantastic.

Yes, both of these games are among the best games on SNES if you ask me. You're both going to experience a lot of great moments. It's great to see these old games being enjoyed 20-25 years later. I myself just finished FFVI for the first time. Amazing journey.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are there people still attempting to make certain non-working games working on Canoe? Still holding out hope for Treasure of the Rudras.

I still don't want to use Retroarch on account if its lagginess and rewind feature not working, though I recall that there were plans to update it as well.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Eventually, I expect some games to work better with some preset ID someone found, or maybe a hack or two to make something work, but as for someone or some group working diligently to make some or all of the more popular games work? There is none. The boom and excitement already passed.

optiroc

Oct 28, 2017
So.. what exactly is keeping Uniracers/Unirally from working on Snes Mini, even on Retroarch?
It relies on *very* precise timed writes to the "stuff" in the hardware that dictates how/where sprites are displayed. So I guess Canoe isn't precise enough.

(However, I suppose it should "work" but display some garbage... Does it not boot at all?)

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, it does. I didn't play it until well after the heyday of the SNES, playing it on a PC emulator years later. Then again on the DS release.

I played through it again a couple of years ago using the MSU1 mod on an actual SNES and, man, that game is good. I feel pretty comfortable saying it is my favorite game ever at this point. And I really dislike silent protagonists, so that is saying something.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
(However, I suppose it should "work" but display some garbage... Does it not boot at all?)

It boots and runs nicely other than the fact that when the rival unicycle is meant to be off-screen, it draws it in the center of the screen instead. When he's on-screen properly, it gets the location right.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Eventually, I expect some games to work better with some preset ID someone found, or maybe a hack or two to make something work, but as for someone or some group working diligently to make some or all of the more popular games work? There is none. The boom and excitement already passed.

I wish I had programming knowledge/hacking experience because I would be the chosen one. I'm still all boom and excite haha

Zornography

Oct 29, 2017
I currently own an SNES Classic and a Super Famicom Mini, is there a way to duplicate the SNES Classic memory and just move it onto the Super Famicom Mini so everything is in English? I just want to do this correctly.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Not as long as it exists as an expanded ROM, since Canoe doesn't support those. Should work in Retroarch?
I haven't had issues yet, but i'm not too far in

It boots and runs nicely other than the fact that when the rival unicycle is meant to be off-screen, it draws it in the center of the screen instead. When he's on-screen properly, it gets the location right.
Damn! I was going to put that on my partners sibling's SNES Mini but that offscreen position centering makes it look ALLLLL fucked up. I hope it gets a fix at some point though i'm not sure how it would

The Giant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list of other consoles that can be playable on the nes/snes mini? I know that gb/gbc/gba, master system, mega drive, game gear and pc engine work.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Weird, for some reason my non-SNES savestates all show 0:00 as timestamp now, no matter how long I've played. I've been replaying Mother 3 before and it kept the time neatly from savestate to savestate until now.
Since the GBC and PCE games have the same problem I'm guessing it's a retroarch issue. Any solutions to fixing this?