• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked before but is there a simple or easy guide or method to import saves?

The way I play games like DKC or Yoshis Island is that I'll go and play some levels I want to but I can't be bothered finishing it myself.

Lazy I know but I was wondering if it were possible.

It's possible but it requires some tinkering. You can find more info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/761m8j/srm_to_canoecloverclvs_converter/

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to enable analog sticks on my Wii Classic Controller Pro on my hakchi modded SNES Classic? I find it easier using those instead of the D-pad because of my carpal tunnel issues.

I find it weird how the analog sticks are enabled on my NES Classic but not the SNES one.

Last edited:

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
The Bike Daisuki! Hashiriya Tamashii - Rider's Spirits translation works in Canoe, just who came up with having to use B to select stuff and if you use any other button the intro just infinitely loops

demi

Oct 27, 2017
The Bike Daisuki! Hashiriya Tamashii - Rider's Spirits translation works in Canoe, just who came up with having to use B to select stuff and if you use any other button the intro just infinitely loops

Also I saw this report on Robin's sheet from someone, not sure if you can help pinpoint this

Tagging ReyVGM as well if he can help with providing a save

Game is Tactics Ogre

It appears that the game freezes up in Canoe during the fight against the Necromancer at Fort Damsa. There is some intro dialogue, and once the battle begins the Necromancer casts a spell causing damage to the whole party. It freezes up in the middle of this animation.

I converted the save so that it could be used with SNES9x and it worked fine in that emulator.

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
I'm almost betting for Tactics Ogre if the VC patch is used with the translation and the correct preset of 10B9(sfromtool) is used it will work fine

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
For Bike Daisuki! Hashiriya Tamashii - Rider's Spirits yeah the japanese rom works like that in snes9x and higan, its programmed that way

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Just wanted to say hi to sluffy, just in case he is reading this thread.

It is winter once again and we played Winter Gold for our annual winter themed games night. Every time I play this game I think of the amazing work sluffy did in this thread and the unfair treatment he received IRL. All power to you sluffy! I hope you are well.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Did some fiddling, initial findings

- DA's VC patch is looking for Rev 1, while the translation asks for Rev 2. No matter, I used Rev 1 anyway. Imported the save just fine and ran it in Japanese
- The game softlocks after the initial attack. Characters still move, but the attack simply stalls and doesn't finish. Might be related to this attack only?
- Using B910 (10B9) didn't seem to help. 0000 same, 6810 (1068) same.

Unfortunately it looks like this might be impossible to finish on Canoe without maybe exporting to emulator then re-importing - I'd imagine this is an easy fix for a romhacker extraordinaire but alas

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
User Banned (3 Days): Do not discuss piracy on the forum
Real quick, I'm giving my extra SNES mini to my friend for xmas and I want to load some games onto it. My issue is, I want to copy the games and everything I have on my personal one, but the laptop that contained all my hakchi files crashed.

Can I use my personal one to dump the kernel, and copy that kernel onto the one I'm giving him? Without losing any of my data, obviously.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Yes but copying the kernel is useless.

Do you lean you want to give him a mirror copy of your SNESC but without having your hakchi installation to do it properly?

That's possible, but you'll need some command-line Linux skills.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I'm putting hakchi onto the nes classic... But I have a question about retroarch, which I want to use to play nes games the default emulator won't play.

I downloaded a giant pack of retroarch things, but really only want Mesen, I think (i'm overwhelmed really and the tutorial videos don't look like my kmfdmanic retroarch thing) . So I dragged that over and installed it. But do I need a retroarch front end? I don't see where that is.. please help!

edit: Okay, I discovered the mod store... I think I'm starting to feel more confident.. but which is the best nes emulator to use with retroarch? i see there are other options besides mesen, and it almost seems like mesen emulation is experimental?

... Okay, I got to a point where I thought I knew what I was doing. I finally plug the thing in and test it out. I'm at an XMB style thing (which doesn't look like the retroarch I see in the videos, and ... Oh I just have no idea what I'm doing at this point. Is the internet asleep? At least someone tell me I'm a noob or something :(

Last edited:

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I may have been making it more complicated than it needed to be.
I factory reset, I put games all back on. The games were on there and it worked. FDS works by default with nes classic, that's great!

Can someone please tell me how to get the games working that hakchi tells you won't work with default emulator but should work with other emulators?

This time, after a factory reset, all I did was install the latest retroarch neo 1.7.4, and a single core module, mesen.. In trying it, I can't tell if this actually did anything. These are installed according to hakchi, but when running nes classic, it shows no evidence of it, and the games in question still don't work.. I uninstalled the mesen module and instead tried nestopia (which seemed to me to imply it auto boots from selecting a game or something). Still no evidence of anything.

To recap, I just want to do the simple thing of getting the games that don't work in the default emulator, to work. All videos and tutorials are referencing older versions of hakchi, older versions of retroarch... but it appears it should be as easy as installing retroarch and an nes module. Well I did that, but I'm still getting the c6 error on the games in question.

I'd really appreciate the help. This is a gift for my brother for christmas, and I had hoped to solve what seems like ought to be a simple issue. You would save christmas if you could give me a bit of a hand here.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
.. I figured out how to individually boot a single game into an emulator.
It's 3am but I did it.. I also figured out after trying 4 emulators that the only one that will run some of these games without chugging is fceumm. The others can't do goemon 2, can't do gradius 2, etc.

Now, tomorrow I shall go through the entire list and see which ones give me the c6 error so I can adjust the command line for each of those games.. whew boy.
I knew I should have written down each of the problem games when hakchi first suggested there would be an issue.. Now I don't think I can get it to tell me that about these games again unless I uninstall hakchi, and I'm not risking that at this point, so it's trial and error as I go through the list.

So anyone who wants to play games with mappers the classic won't normally play do the following:

- you've already installed hakchi, flashed the kernel, and added the games you want
- install retroarch neo 1.7.4 (find these in hakchi under modules, mod store)
- install fceumm
- in the problem game info, add this to the end of the text in the text field ' --retroarch --core fceumm' (paste this directly after the word 'armet' so that you have that single space separating armet and the '--' before retroarch.

Now you can play gimmick at full speed, super mario bros 2 with simulataneous co-op, and whatever else you were getting that damned error about.

edit: It's my lucky day. My past self actually did record the names of each of the problem files. Christmas is saved!

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a border already made that's just plain black on both sides? Don't want an image heavy border on my OLED.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Hey, I've been following this thread for the last few months. I was finally able to register an account here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to those two SNES compatibility spreadsheets. I do a bit of support for hakchi CE on Discord and often direct people to the compatibility spreadsheets when they want to use Canoe as their primary emulator. Most of my SNES games are running in Canoe as well.

I just tested out the aforementioned Super Robot Wars EX translation on Canoe very briefly and it seemed to run fine, but the intro music had some buzzes here and there that aren't present in SNES9x. It's pretty minor, and I don't know if it surfaces in other music in the game.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I've been following this thread for the last few months. I was finally able to register an account here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to those two SNES compatibility spreadsheets. I do a bit of support for hakchi CE on Discord and often direct people to the compatibility spreadsheets when they want to use Canoe as their primary emulator. Most of my SNES games are running in Canoe as well.

I just tested out the aforementioned Super Robot Wars EX translation on Canoe very briefly and it seemed to run fine, but the intro music had some buzzes here and there that aren't present in SNES9x. It's pretty minor, and I don't know if it surfaces in other music in the game.

It probably has the same issue as Masou-kishin or other games (Choujikuu Valkyrie had this issue) if its "buzzes" - try preset ID EF10 (10EF in SFROM Tool)

demi

Oct 27, 2017
If necessary just use the same settings as SRW Elemental Lords, since it probably uses the same engine / coding

nghiavd

Dec 25, 2018
Hi,
I can confirm that SRW EX works great with presetID EF10. However, it does not seem to save correctly. Whether it's the in map save (which you can load by CONTINUE from the main menu) or the after map save, nothing is found after I reset the game.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tried the game myself to confirm any of this yet, sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in before then

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
Super Robot Wars EX for some reason isn't writing part of the sram correctly and even when i uploaded a working sram it wouldn't load the save. Have no clue where the problem lies.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Found an issue with Goof Troop unfortunately. Doesnt negatively impact the game, just makes it a lot easier.

In the Dark Cave rooms, it should be pitch black like this

goof2.png

But Canoe doesnt seem to use the right layers, so its not entirely pitch black. Tried the Soul Blazer ID (6810 / 1068) and didn't help unfortunately.

d9RhSHz.png

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Sorry that this probably isn't the appropriate thread but it did seem relevant and showed up on the front page while I was looking (thanks demi!).

Does anyone have any controller "extensions" they would recommend or feel are high quality? I don't really care to play either my SNES or my new NES classics with the poor distance from my TV they force upon me... My wife recommended me these but looking on Amazon most get good reviews with the occasional people saying they just plain don't work or break quick, so none of them stand out as being best to me.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry that this probably isn't the appropriate thread but it did seem relevant and showed up on the front page while I was looking (thanks demi!).

Does anyone have any controller "extensions" they would recommend or feel are high quality? I don't really care to play either my SNES or my new NES classics with the poor distance from my TV they force upon me... My wife recommended me these but looking on Amazon most get good reviews with the occasional people saying they just plain don't work or break quick, so none of them stand out as being best to me.
https://www.amazon.com/Orzly-Extension-Controller-Versions-Nintendo/dp/B01N2GAQVX

these look good,

also, when it comes to negative user reviews, unless half the reviews are negative and mention the same thing, they are meaningless, just means they got a dud

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I like that this thread also doubles as a English translation thread for Super Famicom-related releases.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Hacking my SNES Classic has introduced me to so many fan translations. I've added many of them to my system, and I just added The Stories of Ihatovo.

About two weeks ago I decided to add all the Aeon Genesis translations that I could to my system. I already had around 40 of them, but now the number is up to 78. I only skipped games that they themselves said weren't very good, or systems i'm not emulating on my SNES Classic like the Wonderswan or Windows (aside from Cave Story).

Who the hell knows when I'll actually play them.

edit: my currently most-anticipated translation is probably the Super Famicom Goemon games. I loved Legend of the Mystical Ninja and I want to enjoy the other 3 games on that system.

Last edited: