• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

delalaser

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a used snes classic with Hakchi. If I don't have to the original kernel, am I screwed? I can't reset to factory setting w/out it right?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
So I just picked up a Japanese Super Famicom Mini and want to double check - I can use Hakchi2 on this JP console, correct?

Mine came with one of the official JP AC adapters as well. This is actually the first console I've owned from another country. I can't plug this into a US outlet, right? A quick google looks like I'll need a step down converter in order to plug it in to a US outlet, but again, I just want to make sure.

Isn't it just USB? The US adapter can be bought separate, right? Or just plug it into a TV/monitor?

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
So I just picked up a Japanese Super Famicom Mini and want to double check - I can use Hakchi2 on this JP console, correct?

Mine came with one of the official JP AC adapters as well. This is actually the first console I've owned from another country. I can't plug this into a US outlet, right? A quick google looks like I'll need a step down converter in order to plug it in to a US outlet, but again, I just want to make sure.
Most of Japan uses the same voltage as the US. And a good number of USB power adaptors support 100-240V anyway. Just look at the specs on the adaptor.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it just USB? The US adapter can be bought separate, right? Or just plug it into a TV/monitor?

It's just USB, but I just wanted to see if it was feasible to use the adapter it came with, since, well, I already have it. :p

Most of Japan uses the same voltage as the US. And a good number of USB power adaptors support 100-240V anyway. Just look at the specs on the adaptor.
I'll open it up and take a look. Since the adapter had it's own packaging, I thought it might have stated the voltage on the outside of the box.

I appreciate the responses!

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Do you take requests? Because I need a good set of Boxarts for some Sailor Moon games. Not the RPG or the two side-scrolling beat-em-ups, but the puzzle games that came out for the base system (No SuFami Turbo games)

Please and thanks.

I'm not taking requests at the moment but I will take a look at it. You mean you need a US SNES boxart for this title? Only one Sailor Moon puzzle game seemed to have come out.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not taking requests at the moment but I will take a look at it. You mean you need a US SNES boxart for this title? Only one Sailor Moon puzzle game seemed to have come out.

These are the ones i mean:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/580009-bishoujo-senshi-sailor-moon-s-kondo-wa-puzzle-de-oshioki-yo

(Add the end -yo to the url. It wont let me paste it.)

https://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/580008-bishoujo-senshi-sailor-moon-s-kurukkurin

(Same as above, add the last word to the url)

https://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/571387-bishoujo-senshi-sailor-moon-super-s-fuwa-fuwa-panic

XenoKefka

Oct 30, 2017
This thread is great, glad to see it back on ResetERA!

I have a SNES Mini EU region and would like to change its kernel + base ROMs to Japanese region.
Is it possible?
Thanks.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone looking for one? I have one extra I was going to give to my nephew, but my sister doesn't think he's old enough for it (he's 5 and my sister's in-laws got him a leap frog or some bullshit). I can't return it because it's from GameStop over 30 days and I don't want to bother with eBay. I'm asking $95 (cost +$10 shipping). USA/Canada only. PM me.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Had a request for some art sent to me via Twitter, so I'm happy to oblige.

SaXBbiZ.png
ygGE31F.png
v6FYNru.png

They also sent me this link to a website they found with high res boxart:
https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/

Though it does seem a lot of the art is actually reconstructions rather than high quality scans.

But still, it should be useful for cover illustrations from PAL covers.

Also, what was Elite Systems thinking with those white outlines?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Same reproduction boxes as other sites. If you don't mind that they don't match up 100% to the originals, then no problem. But if you want real box scans, nintendoage.com is the only place.
Yeah, but they only seem to have scans of American boxes. Not much use for me.

I've found using photos from eBAY UK is a good way to double check how certain elements align as the reconstructions often fall victim to common mistakes like using the wrong version of the Super Nintendo logo or Seal of Quality.

manksalot

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Myself. That is the only game that matters.
I thought about this for like, two minutes. Here's how'd I'd do it:
Hide original games in hakchi
Make 21 copies of my turtles in time backup image
Before adding to hakchi, rename the image files to match the original 21
Add files to hakchi, add art etc
Sync

There's definitely some other ways you could have fun with this!

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
qQdE6bC.jpg

Using the original art of the SimCity remote controller featured on PC and Super Famicom, I had this image in my head replacing the tornado rocking San Francisco and instead showcasing the SNES' cool little cameo of Bowser being a disaster alert. And now the cover logo matches the title screen logo at least haha

Now uploaded to my gallery post!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Member warned for thread derailing
Where can I buy a SNES Classic!?

This is bullshit, Nintendo.

Haven't seen ine online or in stores, ever. Lies!

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
qQdE6bC.jpg

Using the original art of the SimCity remote controller featured on PC and Super Famicom, I had this image in my head replacing the tornado rocking San Francisco and instead showcasing the SNES' cool little cameo of Bowser being a disaster alert. And now the cover logo matches the title screen logo at least haha

Now uploaded to my gallery post!
Nice work. Though there is an alternative PC cover that has Godzilla on the cover that you could replace with Bowser which also has the appropriate button pressed down.

Where can I buy a SNES Classic!?

This is bullshit, Nintendo.

Haven't seen ine online or in stores, ever. Lies!
Nintendo themselves were selling it on Black Friday.

But this is a hacking thread, not a complain about Nintendo thread.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice work. Though there is an alternative PC cover that has Godzilla on the cover that you could replace with Bowser which also has the appropriate button pressed down.

Nintendo themselves were selling it on Black Friday.

But this is a hacking thread, not a complain about Nintendo thread.
Please point me to the complain about Nintendo thread.

Thank you.

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean by "not using the web installer"? Which installer should I use and where can I find it?
Did anyone brick their console by trying to hack it or is this process pretty safe?

edit: Oh, does it work with older windows versions?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
So I grabbed myself a Japanese Super Famicom Mini, do I need to do anything special to hack it and put it into English? Or is it all just there in Hakchi already?

Ideally I want: my NES Mini for NES games, SNES Mini for SNES games, and SFC Mini for GameBoy, GBC, GBA, and Genesis games.

Mostly because I have so many GB/GBC/GBA games that I've never played because of how much I dislike playing handhelds, and Genesis because I don't think I have any way of playing the handful of Sega games I still have (Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles, Ristar, Sonic Spinball). Since I never had a SFC before I don't feel the weird nagging urge to keep it "pure" like the NES/SNES so I wanna just dump all my other Nintendo system games onto there. I wish I could put DS games on it too but of course that wouldn't work for obvious reasons. I assume it's not strong enough to emulate N64? I can't remember where we were on that the last time I really looked into it.

I wish it didn't require a $300+ hardware mod to allow DS/3DS to send video to a TV ):

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017

I had to copy some random Sailor Moon images from Google for these titles and it makes my SNES classic menu look so... unpolished. Would LOVE if anyone has an interest in boxarts for the puzzle games. I wouldn't turn down boxart for Sailor Moon: Another Story, either.

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to be doing it yet but I want to be prepared for when they simplify the process a little. For adding USB storage, is this the type of USB OTG adapter that I'd need to get? It does have a passthrough for the power and the na separate USB input for the USB Flash Drive.

90 degree Left Angle Micro USB 2.0 OTG Host Adapter M to F with USB Power
It doesn't get much simpler than it is at the moment. USB storage is another story though I guess.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017

Ahhh the perils of late night photoshopping! Thanks for the heads up! The burning city is a bit more dynamic though but I did change the appropriate button to feature Bowser pressed down. I had to use his SMB3 form as the SMW form was a bit less clearcut. Gallery post updated... again

MM7F1Mh.jpg

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't get much simpler than it is at the moment. USB storage is another story though I guess.
Yeah, the hakchi 2 stuff is really simple, I've been doing it since the early days of the NES Mini version.

At the moment, due to how early it is the hakchi-gui process of using a USB drive is more than a little cumbersome. It's just not worth the effort at the moment for me as there are still many issues with it but I'm just wanting get everything ready before they fix all the problems.

Fortunately, I've managed to find videos of people using the same adapters on YouTube.

I also have a couple of couple of tiny USB 2 flash drives a little like this one that haven't been used for ages due to capacity being so small that they aren't a great deal of use for most things.

iu

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Uhh...I'm a noob. What does it mean and how do I do it? ^^
After you add the game to hakchi, select it from the list and press Ctrl-Alt-E and change the preset ID there.

The preset ID is basically what the emulator uses to apply any preconfigured fixes/hacks certain games may need to run properly. They don't always work perfectly, but can some times help get games working.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why the need to input a special code to call up the Preset ID window. I guess to prevent dum-dums from replacing IDs for perfectly working games...

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's not something regular people should have access to. New hakchi versions should have any new ID already added, but since it hasn't been updated in a while, then people are doing it manually.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017

I probably only gonna make one of these so since this was the last release in that puzzle series, here's my take on the SFC cover using the title from the Eng fan translation. Enjoy!

oiG1I3z.png

I wouldn't turn down boxart for Sailor Moon: Another Story, either.

Luckily, there was a clean image of the boxart from the CD soundtrack version... Enjoy!

4nTcirB.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
After you add the game to hakchi, select it from the list and press Ctrl-Alt-E and change the preset ID there.

The preset ID is basically what the emulator uses to apply any preconfigured fixes/hacks certain games may need to run properly. They don't always work perfectly, but can some times help get games working.

Amazing. Thanks for all the help :)

Oct 25, 2017
My god, fuck windows!

I installed parallels on my mac + windows 10. Now, when I want to start hakchi it tells me to install net framework 3.5. I can#t skip it. If I try to install it ....error. windows 10 already has net framework installed (new version) but hakchi won't start without 3.5...what the hell

edit: It worked...finally! Pretty cool!

Last edited: