• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
What's the drama? What's C2M? I missed all this.

It's a device that allows you to plug carts into your SNES Mini and play them. However, the following has been stolen and is part of the software for the device:
  • hakchi2 CE. This is the core program that allows users to modify their SNES Mini and add ROMs. There is a legal method of including this, as it is licensed under the GNU General Public License v3.0, but he doesn't seem to have followed these guidelines at all.
  • Retroarch cores. These are included as is. No links, no source, nothing. Again, I am sure there is a way to properly license these, but that hasn't been done.
  • Preset ID List. This was months of work, decompiling old Virtual Console titles to get some of these codes. However, most were found through tedious testing. It was a case of figuring out where a certain game might fall in the list, and then testing a range of codes til a positive result was achieved.
  • VC Patches. These are patches for games that Nintendo got working on either Virtual Console or the SNES Mini, but usually both. They often updated a game to a version beyond their last cart version. For users wanting "perfect" ROMs, you would need these, though in truth very few people use them. Nonetheless, DarkAkuma spent a great deal of time comparing VC releases with cart releases and making patches where needed. (Amusingly, they also included his custom Star Ocean patch. This was based on how Nintendo got Street Fighter Alpha 2 working, but was far bigger. But because they don't have proper SFROM creation in this package, the patch does nothing.)
  • Canoe Fix Patches. There are well over 250 of these at this point. Early ones were made by myself and other members of Era and Reddit, but it was sluffy who swooped in and made a great deal of these. It took literal months to get to where we are, with many users testing and recording results for sluffy while he toiled away. The entire process is still up for all to see in a 3000 post thread here. These simply make games boot run on the SNES Mini's default emulator, or clear up bugs. For example, Super Off-Road's RNG isn't random on the SNES Mini, so sluffy programmed a new routine. Also linked seperately on the spreadsheet.
  • PAL to NTSC Patches. Most of these come from the linked site, though a few were tweaked and added to Canoe Fix Patches instead, such as Theme Park which would display dots everywhere.
  • Artwork by reddit user "br1an".
Basically, he has included all of this without permission. Yes, we offer it all for free to download, but that's not the point. This guy has just bundled all of the above together and is making money from it. Suffice to say, many people involved are pretty angry.

Last edited:

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
It's a device that allows you to plug carts into your SNES Mini and play them. However, the following has been stolen and is part of the software for the device
Damn. Looks like the guy overstepped the mark seriously. Why wouldn't he recognise everyone's work? I mean. The hardware bit he can take his credit. But a thanks here and there is really easy.

Bad karma.

Hope it all gets sorted out.

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, is there anything out there that let's me use the Wii pro controller as the default controller? I know it's compatible but the NES classic manual says it only works as the second player controller. Can this big changed?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Woke up to this message.

Hello Robin64

I am one of the C2M devs. I was made aware part way through last week that we left a bunch of patches in our buildtree from during our IPS support and testing phase. It is my duty this week to look into this and sort it out.

Let me start by apologizing on behalf of myself and C2M for the inclusion of these patches without permission. I did attempt to contact you a few months ago when I was working on the IPS patch support for C2M, but never heard back. Once I completed the IPS patching I forgot about persuing contact with you as I was busy with one of the many other parts of C2M that I had to work on. It was not my plan to leave the patches in the buildtree without permission.

I was actually planning on testing each patch to even see if they were needed etc before adding them to the main buildtree, but ran out of time before the first versions had to be released. I am looking back at them today and I see that I even left the NES test patches in the SNES dir!

Again I am sorry this occurred and am now asking for your permission to include the canoe fix patches in the C2M software pack. If there are others who I need to contact to ask permission about various patches, please direct me to them so I can do so. I understand if you or others don't wish to give permission to include the patches. If we don't get permission and I find that there are games that do not work on any emulator for SNES Classic (we aren't locked to just using canoe) then I will spend the time myself to try and get them working. Of course in this case I will do what anyone would and look for clues whereever I can including in any publicly released patches. I won't just include the patches though I will write my own version of them.

Also just to make things clear, when people buy C2M they are paying for the hardware, the software is provided as a free pack that anyone can download, even people who do not own a C2M device. So we are not charging any money for software or patches etc.

Yours sincerely
c2m_guy

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at what you listed above "we left a bunch of patches in our buildtree" seems like a bit of an understatement.

Oct 28, 2017
If they are serious, nothing would be easier than giving this community here (and in any case people like Robin, Sluffy and so on) credit on their page where they are offering their 'free' packs. Even linking to this thread for anybody who would like to understand what he's slamming onto the device shouldn't be that of a problem.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Just a list of names and a message indicating how the work was completed and that it is public domain and NOT for sale would be enough. Maintaining the respect of a community is not difficult.

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
I emailed C2M days ago... Still not response...

They never "attempt to contact me a few months ago" either...

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Considering the size of cds and how aaa games used to fill them, I'm guessing 8gb internal memory, so a nice space for some eboot.pbp conversions.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

Porting the emulator just makes sense. This is maybe where the audio improvements come in that were reported here a while back?

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Well, is it really THAT bad of a thing? They were probably planning to use that emulator across many future devices and it seems to be built off of the VC work anyway given the preset IDs and VC patches often clearing up issues.

I wish they fixed that hideous CRT filter while they were at it though. And put up the manuals at least as something to read online because, seriously, some games like Pro Wrestling can make no sense without anything offered.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't Nintendo continue to use the emulators they've been developing? Good grief my arse.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure, but it seems less compatible than the NES Mini right now. Case in point, Battletoads has some errors on the Switch that it doesn't have on the NES Mini.

Since the NES Classic uses a custom-made emulator, I'm thinking Nintendo maybe reverted to their previous VC emulator, and fixed the brightness in the process?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Kohler tweeted that the Genesis Classic by SEGA is delayed and is now under development by japanese studio and not AtGames

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Huh? How about that. It really does seem like it's just the NES/SNES Classic emulator put onto the switch, doesn't it?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Who didn't see this coming? My instant thought was "I wonder if we can hack it..."

Same here, in fact you guys hacking it would be my motivation to get one, I have 20 or so ps1 games lying around that are unlikely to make the base and I'd love to put on it(since it's easy to rip cds

Also regarding the nesonline emulator being the classics, wouldn't that also be fodder for Snes sooner rather than later since they can reuse the existing framework

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think a good thing about NES app being based on the NES Classic's emulator is that Nintendo will be constantly adding games to the service and so will be updating compatibility as more games are added. Me might possibly get official Nintendo made patches in the future.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
RE: PS1
Honestly if we can hack it, I'd probably make it a SquareSoft PS1 RPG Machine. Hopefully they're a little more prevalent than the Nintendo offerings at launch.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Well the NES emulator on the Switch has at least improved both audio quality and the 4:3 mode no longer has pixel shimmer when scrolling.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
The SNES app for Switch won't be long. I have my fingers crossed. And all the hard work this community and others did the get SNES apps working on Canoe will come in handy for SNES porting.

SO GOOD

Now they just have to figure out a way to stop Nintendo from banning hackers.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if the hackers didn't reliably run to cheat in games I'd be... sympathetic to that viewpoint. As is I'd rather get a new Switch and hack the old one wide open for offline use if I was to go that route.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
A question regarding the NES/Famicom mini, is there a way to fiddle around with its filters? I'd like to have the CRT filter approximate the one from the SNES mini by removing the wobble distortion, but what the resources I've found only seem to show being able to change the SNES filters or through Retroarch.