• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 6, 2017
A couple days ago, I was putzing around in RetroArch's menu after pausing Metroid Zero Mission. I can't remember what I was messing with (I believe it was related to video configurations, potentially something with boot settings?), but all of a sudden the screen glitched out, super pixel-y and seemingly broken. The messages that appear in the bottom left corner relating to ports were all stacking on top of each other. Now, every time I try to boot a game from Retroarch, nothing happens and any input from the controller results in those stacked messages again.

Do I need to re-install my custom core, or reinstall retroarch?

Nov 23, 2017
I'm trying to run DBZ Super Butoden 1 and 2 on canoe but every time I click on the game, it just boots me back to the menu almost instantly. Is there some sort of code I should be adding?

Last edited:

rics2980

Oct 28, 2017
I did use --retroarch as I know Canoe didn't run it(at the time it seems?). I was able to play it before but once I did a uninstall/reinstall of hakchi I had problems with DQ3.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I do not use Retroarch so unfortunately I can't help with issues relating to it, sorry.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I'm trying to run DBZ Super Butoden 1 and 2 on canoe but every time I click on the game, it just boots me back to the menu almost instantly. Is there some sort of code I should be adding?

In my experience, that happens when either - you only have RA installed without any cores or, if you haven't specified which core for the game to use.

In CE, right-click the game and it should be the bottom option to chose the core or program for that particular game.
Also, you can edit the command line if doing that didn't quite work.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Next noob question :D. My external storage works.. and im really happy because i didn't knew if the otg cable/usb drive would work. My only problem is that if i add a new game to my usb drive, hakchi will always overwrite all my added games again which takes ages. Is there an easy way that hakchi only adds new games to my usb drive instead of everything over again?.
The latest CE will avoid that to a degree but the only real solution is to not change your games as often. Just play them, you know?

Last edited:

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Well I've now got my SNES classic as streamlined as can be: A collection of the best titles, best translations, best QOL patches, interesting nostalgic takes, unreleased titles, hidden gem and oddities. Everything running natively on Canoe. A perfect little time capsule.

But I just couldn't help myself but get a headstart on some N64 custom boxart covers! I just figured if I put them out there on here... Nintendo should be bound to announce the N64 Classic anyday now... Just trying to make the stars align... you know.

1C7hHn4.png
HOOZBwK.png
Z1hetAh.png

S0i6Oec.png
EPZA1SI.png
WxL75Ns.png

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow thanks! I got Star Ocean working and replaced my uncompressed SFA2 (made with that fiddly original workaround) with the compressed patched version.

Am I to assume when using this sfrom tool that I should patch it first with the Dark Akuma files... then add the translation patches after if needed?

How did you get Star Ocean to work? When I try to boot it up, I just get a black screen.

Are there better translated versions of Breath of Fire 2, out there? Because I d/l the original and the translation is rough.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Well I've now got my SNES classic as streamlined as can be: A collection of the best titles, best translations, best QOL patches, interesting nostalgic takes, unreleased titles, hidden gem and oddities. Everything running natively on Canoe. A perfect little time capsule.
I'm curious how your system turned out: what titles, what translations, QOL patches etc. Care to list them (so I can improve my machine)? :D

But I just couldn't help myself but get a headstart on some N64 custom boxart covers! I just figured if I put them out there on here... Nintendo should be bound to announce the N64 Classic anyday now... Just trying to make the stars align... you know.

1C7hHn4.png
HOOZBwK.png
Z1hetAh.png

S0i6Oec.png
EPZA1SI.png
WxL75Ns.png
Dream on, dream on, dream until your dreams come true :) :( :)

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
When we get a N64 Classic hopefully homebrew will be a lot easier since there's a lot less custom chips to worry about so the stock emulator should hopefully run a fair decent number of games.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm about to start Earthbound, we still don't have an epilepsy filter disable yet, right?
Keeping my system clover only, but might make an exception.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017

1C7hHn4.png
HOOZBwK.png
Z1hetAh.png

S0i6Oec.png
EPZA1SI.png
WxL75Ns.png
Nice work.

No idea what I'll do for the PAL N64 boxes as, unlike the SNES designs, I have less nostalgia for those designs.

And when you look at what we got for many games:

7661336.3.jpg

The results weren't great. I don't know if someone at NoE was trying to be funny by giving the boxes big black borders to reflect the poor 50Hz conversions we'd get.

Cropping out the black borders might be the easiest.

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone. How decently do PSX games run on the mini snes? Do you all prefer running PSX games on the mini snes or the mini nes?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I figure 2D games like Mega Man X4 would probably run fine, but games like Gran Turismo or even Chrono Cross would struggle a bit.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Someone recently posted about an SNES add-on that plugs into the console and lets you play carts. Can't seem to find it anymore :-/

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Nice work.

No idea what I'll do for the PAL N64 boxes as, unlike the SNES designs, I have less nostalgia for those designs.

And when you look at what we got for many games:

7661336.3.jpg

The results weren't great. I don't know if someone at NoE was trying to be funny by giving the boxes big black borders to reflect the poor 50Hz conversions we'd get.

Cropping out the black borders might be the easiest.

You won't believe how many European Nintendo distributors tried to curb this shit before launch. We begged SCN would get AUS PAL box art instead of NOE PAL box art, but NOE wouldn't budge. They insisted on operational efficiency in making Europe a single region. Nobody would explain the thinking behind this crap design, but it was clear that towards the end of the generation even NOE had started to hate their own design, as very late NOE PAL games got really cool box art.

Late cycle NOE PAL box art:

11981-perfect-dark-nintendo-64-front-cover.jpg

cover_medium.jpg

51eAdm1k1uL.jpg

12363_front.jpg

The downside is that being as incompetent in design as NOE were, they didn't create a grid or template for this design style, so the Nintendo 64 logo was different size and different place in all the late boxes.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
You won't believe how many European Nintendo distributors tried to curb this shit before launch. We begged SCN would get AUS PAL box art instead of NOE PAL box art, but NOE wouldn't budge. They insisted on operational efficiency in making Europe a single region. Nobody would explain the thinking behind this crap design, but it was clear that towards the end of the generation even NOE had started to hate their own design, as very late NOE PAL games got really cool box art.

Late cycle NOE PAL box art:

11981-perfect-dark-nintendo-64-front-cover.jpg

cover_medium.jpg

51eAdm1k1uL.jpg

12363_front.jpg

The downside is that being as incompetent in design as NOE were, they didn't create a grid or template for this design style, so the Nintendo 64 logo was different size and different place in all the late boxes.
Interesting to hear their was blowback back then. I can understand wanting conformity but they did it is such an awful way. I think only Ocarina of Time managed to make it work and that's only cos the main illustration had a black background so you don't really think about the black border (I admit, I rather like the solid gold logo on black look). The fact the "Only For" sticker isn't even in the corner of the box, but the illustration shows how silly it was.

Those later design do look much better. Shame there's literally no fixed design between them apart from those the icons on the righthand side. Even the word "PAL" jumps around ha ha

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone. So yesterday I picked up both a NES and SNES Classic at a little hole in the wall (read: tiny) classic game store I just happened to walk into and I'm interested in adding a few games to them. At least my SNES Classic as it's the one missing a few of my favorites.

I'm just curious how safe this is. Like is it a risk these days? Would I be able to revert easily if I somehow brick it? Or is it not a risk anymore?

Like I just want to add the other two DKC games (Come on, how could they not be included? They gave us the first and every Mario and Zelda. Makes little sense to leave out at least 2.) and Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Like they didn't give enough Kirby out of the box.) and I'd be pretty set. Maybe All-Stars for completion's sake and having options. And if I hack my NES Classic I'd literally only need to add Fire 'n' Ice and I'd be happy. (Maybe also Dragon Warrior for the hell of it.)

I have access to a virtual machine running Windows 7 to run the tool so I'm all set. I just don't want to break my new toy before I even get to enjoy it enough.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
There was never a risk. It's pretty much unbrickable and you can always easily restore to factory settings if you mess something up.
Wow really? If it's really that easy, I think I know why I might try to do tonight. My list of childhood favorites is relatively small and the Classics both covered like 95% of them. So I just need to add the few outliers and I'll be happy as a clam.

Thanks! I'll definitely update when I do it. Now all I need to do is order some controller extension cables. (Seriously can't believe you even have to. How Nintendo could think 3-4 feet is enough is really crazy.)

Edit: Having trouble updating the .NET framework required to even run the program. Windows Update won't install it. Edit 2: Okay, finally got it. The latest 4.7 wouldn't download from MS but the required 4.6 version worked fine. Program is running. Time to connect up my Classic and try it out!

Edit 3: I'm getting a "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation" error when I try to install the custom kernel. How do I fix this? I'm on Windows 7.

Last edited:

heisenbrg

Jan 23, 2018
Großfrostheim
Hey everyone. So yesterday I picked up both a NES and SNES Classic at a little hole in the wall (read: tiny) classic game store I just happened to walk into and I'm interested in adding a few games to them. At least my SNES Classic as it's the one missing a few of my favorites.

I know i already said that before here, but the youtube channel "Patton Plays" helped me so much with hakchi CE, everyone new to hakchi should watch his videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTCjNJnRY7v5-V2SNTqwPRyyJyom9tmMM

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I know i already said that before here, but the youtube channel "Patton Plays" helped me so much with hakchi CE, everyone new to hakchi should watch his videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTCjNJnRY7v5-V2SNTqwPRyyJyom9tmMM
I'll check them out as soon as I figure out my INF file problem which seems to be a Windows problem and not a Hakchi or Classic problem. From what I can tell, Windows 7 isn't recognizing my Classic when I connect it and doesn't create a file that's needed or something? I don't know. And I don't get why it isn't creating the file. And Googling isn't helping. I hope I don't need Windows 10 for this.

heisenbrg

Jan 23, 2018
Großfrostheim
From what I can tell, Windows 7 isn't recognizing my Classic when I connect it and doesn't create a file that's needed or something?
Did you try a different USB cable? I had the problem that two of my (cheap) USB cables didn't worked. Luckily i found a USB cable with a higher quality and it worked with that. I have no idea why. But maybe some cheap cables are only for charging the devices?

I had the same problem with two cheap USB sticks and the USB-mode from hakchi. I needed a better Sandisk USB stick for the USB mode.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Did you try a different USB cable? I had the problem that two of my (cheap) USB cables didn't worked. Luckily i found a USB cable with a higher quality and it worked with that. I have no idea why. But maybe some cheap cables are only for charging the devices?

I had the same problem with two cheap USB sticks and the USB-mode from hakchi. I needed a better Sandisk USB stick for the USB mode.
It's the one that came with it. And it's the only USB cable I have that would work on it. I don't have USB-C devices.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I finally installed Hackchi after months of procrastination, but I noticed some games have an audio stutter

Doom has a very choppy soundtrack, where DKC2 seems to have an audio skip every once in a while. Are these known issues?

EDIT: Sim City and Mario All-Stars are refusing to even launch as well

Last edited:

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I finally installed Hackchi after months of procrastination, but I noticed some games have an audio stutter

Doom has a very choppy soundtrack, where DKC2 seems to have an audio skip every once in a while. Are these known issues?

EDIT: Sim City and Mario All-Stars are refusing to even launch as well

Yes the audio skip issue is known, along with some pitch warping here and there, especially during screen transitions for some reason. Even on a stock SNES Classic, Yoshi's Island skips audio when transitioning from the attract mode to title screen, Mario RPG often has wobbly pitch when accessing the menu screen, etc...

It's a shortcoming of the bundled emulator so nothing can be done about it other than using RetroArch.

Simcity and Mario All Stars should work fine, so most likely your roms are borked.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Yes the audio skip issue is known, along with some pitch warping here and there, especially during screen transitions for some reason. Even on a stock SNES Classic, Yoshi's Island skips audio when transitioning from the attract mode to title screen, Mario RPG often has wobbly pitch when accessing the menu screen, etc...

It's a shortcoming of the bundled emulator so nothing can be done about it other than using RetroArch.

Simcity and Mario All Stars should work fine, so most likely your roms are borked.
That's a shame.

Thanks for the info! I feared it was an issue on my end during the installation. I'll look into using Retroarch

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
But RetroArch has some pretty nasty input lag going, so if that's a concern to you I would stick with the very occasional very minor sound skips!
Appreciate the heads up! In that case, maybe I will stick with the standard emulator

Would un-compressing the game size help with those issues? I also noticed on Hackchi there's a setting enabled by default that converts ROMs to SFROMs automatically. Should I leave that unchecked?

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
I never noticed any audio skip on all of these games (I finished DKC2 at 100% on canoe), and never on the dozen of games I already finished at 100% on the mini (at least for games which are known to work fine with canoe, needed a patch or not). In fact the only similar issue I had was on yoshi's Island (also finished at 100%) on some transition screens, with minor sound distorsions, but it was a result for the installation of one of these useless hmod : once I've uninstalled it, no problem left. Used hakchi2 2.21f and no use of SFROM tool.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I never noticed any audio skip on all of these games (I finished DKC2 at 100% on canoe), and never on the dozen of games I already finished at 100% on the mini (at least for games which are known to work fine with canoe, needed a patch or not). In fact the only similar issue I had was on yoshi's Island (also finished at 100%) on some transition screens, with minor sound distorsions, but it was a result for the installation of one of these useless hmod : once I've uninstalled it, no problem left. Used hakchi2 2.21f and no use of SFROM tool.

Which hmod?

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Okay so.. I bought an OTG micro USB.. err.. thing, and a 16gb stick. I got my SNES mini back to factory settings and tried to add hakchi CE and everything seemed fine in the program itself. I'd done this for damn near every update of hakchi prior to CE so I wasn't too worried. I added all the necessary roms and command lines for each different platform so it runs the correct core in retroarch. Seemed like I was all set so I turned on the SNES mini and black screen.. nothing.

So before I mess with this any further, can someone maybe make me a list or a small guide on what order to do things in? It would be much appreciated and I can link the parts I purchased. It just doesn't seem to want to boot up or work at all anymore :(

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018

The custom filters if I correct remember. Anyway, it's somehow of logic that adding and adding things on the original should lead to some issues. For example, all CE versions before the 3.4.1 triggered some graphical glitch on some games (abnormal flickering contrast, even on stock games, but only noticeable in some use of TV display : 2.21f had never triggered any of these issues)