• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

demi

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while since I installed Hackchi (maybe I had version e?), have there been significant updates to it that are worth updating? I have a mac so I have to use virtual box to do it and it's not worth it unless it ends up being a substantial upgrade.
The latest version (2.21f?) works just fine. Jump in

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
Is nobody creating logo-less Switch-type icons anymore?

Those may have been my favorite icons to use on my SNES, such as this one:

earthboundrwjr6.png
I started a few but with finals coming up and everything, I haven't gotten to it again. I probably will do some mid December.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
B4vSVZf.jpg

I didn't get to post my gallery update from yesterday... but I went back and redid some of my earlier boxart efforts, so in my gallery post you can grab

- Updated Lufia 2 boxart, where I better managed to capture the Super Famicom art for US proportions.
- Updated Breath of Fire, which I used (I think most likely, but it also could be concept art) some fantastic quality fanart
- Sonic Blast Man II. where it is now containing the much more in line with the game tone of the Super Famicom art
- Super Buster Bros... with Super Pang art
- I made a US version of my custom SFC Famicom Detective Club Part 2 box art

Enjoy if you want them!

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
- Updated Breath of Fire, which I used (I think most likely, but it also could be concept art) some fantastic quality fanart
mFJzlH2.png
vdgutu.jpg

oh no fam, that's official artwork from the Japanese GBA re-release
Thanks, I was hoping someone would make one for BoF1. Pairs nicely with the one for BoFII made by another member from the BoFII GBA port:

fmkina.png

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
oh no fam, that's official artwork from the Japanese GBA re-release
Thanks, I was hoping someone would make one for BoF1. Pairs nicely with the one for BoFII made by another member from the BoFII GBA port

Oh wow that's cool! I did not know that. The best clean version I found of that BOF art listed it as "fan art" or "concept art" Stupid listings!

...Well, I'm glad you got some use out of it!

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
hIM5IAS.png
XrNgJzP.png

First time I've played around with the 3D tool in Photoshop. I feel the logo came out well.

Took a bit of liberty having the artwork for Live A Live go all the way to the right hand edge, but it looked weird having just a white border to one side.

EDIT: After looking at it for awhile, I felt the need to redo the Seiken Densetsu 3 logo

Last edited:

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, all those alternative boxarts are great. I'm a little lazy but I might just reconnect my snes mini to update to those boxarts.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
fRNLxXp.jpg

Another alternate boxart added to my gallery post... this time for Lost Vikings 2.

I really just don't like the original Playstation 3D model styled cover. Feels alittle off to me haha

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
PAL region had a different bit of art, but it's still not that great.

Better than that CGI nightmare NA got though. Yikes.

(The first game had a really nice render on the cover. What happened?)

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
PAL region? Where's that located? :P

Last edited:

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Understandable, it's the stuff of nightmares. :D Yours is awesome, I'm so using it; thanks!

You're welcome!

PAL region had a different bit of art, but it's still not that great.

Better than that CGI nightmare NA got though. Yikes.

(The first game had a really nice render on the cover. What happened?)

The sequel went multiplatform and ports were contracted for 32-bit systems... I guess the cover was made for parity. Blah!

PAL region? Where's that located? :P
It's where 50% of American SNES Mini Classic owners bought their system from.

Haha... I was gonna say it's the land of pals, banding together against the tyranny of 50hz oppression... and gather round to read the latest issue of Super Play (best SNES magazine ever)

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gentleman, one question. I got the japanese version is there any chance to change the GUI language to English?

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
qQazIOL.jpg

I absolutely adore Tom Dubois' SNES box art for Konami... however his work with them came to an end in 1994 and Konami's boxarts thereafter, lacked a certain gravitas!

So I took a stab at an alternative Adventures of Batman and Robin boxcover. The original cover always looked like a cheap children's book knock off of the show's art style. So I searched and came across a cool painting from the animated series. Theme-wise, it fit perfectly with the Joker's rollercoaster battle in the game - in the first level called "Amused to Death".

I kept the official licensed Batman product holographic seal and I also added some text to the front from the PAL version of the game that reads:

"Criminally insane super-villains have escaped from Arkham Asylum and only one hero stands between them and the destruction of Gotham City!"

I love this game, one of my favourite carts to plug in from my real collection! You can grapple hook the file away from my galley post!

EDIT:
iTr4H1R.jpg

With Batman on my mind... I have now alternated Batman Returns as well. From the original's sliced up movie stills, here instead, I used the Super Famicom cartridge label for the coverart. I really liked how the Japan office used bold comic book imagery for their packaging of this sweet beat 'em up!

Last edited:

munancho

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whats the drilly with Rock N Roll racing and Uniracers? They done yet?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Done... as in working in Canoe? Might just be games that arent fully working on Canoe. Use Retroarch if it bugs you.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Somehow I managed to snag one today. Should I just mod it right away and add some games? Seems pretty simple.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
qh89nDr.jpg

I just witnessed Illusion of Gaia's SFC cover. Woah It's a thing of beauty, so I jumped right on in for a US box adaption. I may tweak it further down the road once I solve a composition idea I still have. Get it from my gallery post!

Last edited:

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought two of these at the time and now the 2nd one isnt wanted, so I might just keep one as a pure SNES machine, and mod the other to be like a SNES port machine. I mean like running different versions of games that (sort of) came out on the snes. Like Final Fight arcade instead of the port, and so on.

Anyway just curious, whats the actual amount of memory you can use safely for games, is it only 70 meg? That's what my current hakchi wont go over, but ive not used the space mod.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
qh89nDr.jpg

I just witnessed Illusion of Gaia's SFC cover. Woah It's a thing of beauty, so I jumped right on in for a US box adaption. I may tweak it further down the road once I solve a composition idea I still have. Get it from my gallery post!

Those are truly amazing! Just a tiny heads up, post linking seems to be semi-broken for people with different posts per page; however, you can use single post permalinks to get around that: here's the one for your gallery post:
https://www.resetera.com/posts/635247/

Nov 6, 2017
Great thread and great device from Nintendo. I was today finally able to geld hold of a SNES mini and put some more games on the machine. Worked like a charm and the screensaver feature is amazing.

One Question: To play NES Games I need a NES mini, right?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Anyway just curious, whats the actual amount of memory you can use safely for games, is it only 70 meg? That's what my current hakchi wont go over, but ive not used the space mod.

What do you mean your hakchi won't go over that? I have 180 megs worth of games added.

Has anyone figured out how to get Earthworm Jim 2 running without any problems?

Use retroarch.

One Question: To play NES Games I need a NES mini, right?

If you want to play them legally, yes.

If not, then you can add NES (and other consoles) to the SNESC using retroarch. Or you can add the NES Classic kernel to the SNESC and have a dual boot system with SNES and NES.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Retroarch will be invisible, you won't even know it's there unless you press Select+Start in a game to open the RA menu.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
It can be optimised for the platform, hopefully reducing input latency and just generally improving how Retroarch functions on the SNES Mini.
That's kind of awesome then. I knew there were a few minor issues with input lag etc with the current iteration, and I'm sure with the classic bring such a widespread platform that there'll be plenty of support :)

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. But if your VC save is of a completed game, then it's better if you just download an emulator battery save from zophar and import that one to the SNESC.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
@robyn64

Do you know who "owns" the compatibility list? Someone should make a backup of the list and lock it because the other backups are too old and outdated. I made a backup of the current list, but I don't have the ability to lock it, so it gets deleted by who knows who. The reason is because too many idiots screw up the list by removing games and notes. Too many idiots with bad roms reporting glitches, or idiots unknowingly using retroarch removing bug reports because they didn't notice anything with their game. Every couple of days I go through the list and I see names and notes deleted and I have to restore it. But I'm getting tired of it and eventually it's going to turn into a wasteland of bad information when good people stop updating it.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
A friend is going to be installing the emulator tomorrow for me while I'm at work, a few questions:

What are the best known fan translations for DQ V and VI? Does the current version of the emulator automatically come with sharper scanlines? If not how do you add the sharper scanline command? Thanks in advance for answering all this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah, I'm tempted to curate our own Canoe list, to be honest. People here actually understand headers, hacks, and actually testing things.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Does that hmod work permanently now? When it was brand new, your cover files were wiped every time you synced.