• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
I just installed Hakchi the first time and yeah i think i also got the "long reboot". I just installed it a second time and then it worked without a problem (i don't know if doing this a second time could brick the console or something like that tho).

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Encephalon
While I haven't changed my SFCmini from using 2.21f but for my SNESclassic I've been tinkering around with 3.4.1. There is something called "font remount" in the install extra modules menu (IIRC it's actually installed automatically when you hakchi your SFC or SNES). I uninstalled it just to see how much space I'd save etc and forgot about it.
Then I was having some English game titles that weren't displaying properly and the web search indicated that "font remount" resolved a lot of name display issues - and they did! Could work in JP... I've yet to label anything in JP but, you might wanna give 3.4.1 a try if you're still hankering to have your game titles display in Japanese instead of romaji. ファイト!

I just installed Hakchi the first time and yeah i think i also got the "long reboot". I just installed it a second time and then it worked without a problem (i don't know if doing this a second time could brick the console or something like that tho).
Since it worked the second time, you should be fine. Besides, you can re-hakchi your SNES if something goes wrong. It's practically impossible to mess it up permanently. ;)

heisenbrg

Jan 23, 2018
Großfrostheim
No necessarily. You can hack to add the menu button combination, or to add borders, or other QoL improvements.
Yeas, that menu button combination is awesome for really hard games (or bad gamer like me) like Mega Man 2.

And even with that, Zelda 2 was too hard for me. I installed a "easy hack" for it on the NES mini. Now i only have to find an easy hack for Kid Icarus on the NES, because the Continue-Cheat-Code doesn't work for me.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeas, that menu button combination is awesome for really hard games (or bad gamer like me) like Mega Man 2.

And even with that, Zelda 2 was too hard for me. I installed a "easy hack" for it on the NES mini. Now i only have to find an easy hack for Kid Icarus on the NES, because the Continue-Cheat-Code doesn't work for me.

Here's a good tool.

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1054/

It allows you to apply Game Genie codes to the ROM itself, which means you can find GG codes for what you want and patch the ROM to work on the NES Mini without an actual GG.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Encephalon
While I haven't changed my SFCmini from using 2.21f but for my SNESclassic I've been tinkering around with 3.4.1. There is something called "font remount" in the install extra modules menu (IIRC it's actually installed automatically when you hakchi your SFC or SNES). I uninstalled it just to see how much space I'd save etc and forgot about it.
Then I was having some English game titles that weren't displaying properly and the web search indicated that "font remount" resolved a lot of name display issues - and they did! Could work in JP... I've yet to label anything in JP but, you might wanna give 3.4.1 a try if you're still hankering to have your game titles display in Japanese instead of romaji. ファイト!

Since it worked the second time, you should be fine. Besides, you can re-hakchi your SNES if something goes wrong. It's practically impossible to mess it up permanently. ;)

Thanks for letting me know! I'll have to try this out!

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
Quick question: I want to start Final Fantasy Tactics Advance today, but my OTG adapter will arrive (hopefully) at the end of the week. I then want to move my GBA games over to my external USB flash drive. Will i lose my saves moving the games to USB? Should i use the save state function of Retroarch or just the ingame save function?.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I've not updated to CE either, but that's because I'm sticking with what I have on the system before looking into adding more.

The only CE feature I like the look of is the easy editing of the cover art for the original games. I do recall there is a way around that with 2.21f so you don't have to make a copy of each one. Maybe I should try and find that again whenever I go contemplate making some changes to my setup.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot get files to transfer on FTP with 3.4.1. There's no FTP Server on [address] thing to check. I've got FileZilla open and I can navigate the folders. What gives?

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finally got a snes classic and got a chance to try hacking and it was pretty simple, awesome. Sadly the games I was looking forward to playing, didn't work :(. Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma, guess I'll have to look for another versions.

By the way, is there a shortcut on the controller to do 'Reset'? Its pretty annoying having to stand up, go to the console each time I want to play a different game :9

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Wow... I'd been out of the scene for a long while. Just finished updating 25 titles with those Sluffy patches! Uniracers! Rendering Ranger R2! Tin Star! I imagine it has not been said enough... Thank you!

Skimming the thread... something happened with Sluffy? Is he operating under a different alias now? Unfortunate that Earthwork Jim 2 still has issues with Canoe.

How is Star Ocean coming along after its canoe birth? Can Streetfighter Alpha 2 be played via compression now?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got a snes classic and got a chance to try hacking and it was pretty simple, awesome. Sadly the games I was looking forward to playing, didn't work :(. Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma, guess I'll have to look for another versions.

By the way, is there a shortcut on the controller to do 'Reset'? Its pretty annoying having to stand up, go to the console each time I want to play a different game :9
Once Hakchi is installed you can reset using the controller (hold Down + Select for a second).
There are patches to make both games work natively. Check Robin's first and second posts for a link to the archive.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They both work fine with some patches. They should be listed in the compatibility sheet that's linked in the OP.
You can hold down "down+Select" to trigger a reset.

Edit: Well, what Psxphile said. lol

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Both games are playable with patches.

Wow thanks! I got Star Ocean working and replaced my uncompressed SFA2 (made with that fiddly original workaround) with the compressed patched version.

Am I to assume when using this sfrom tool that I should patch it first with the Dark Akuma files... then add the translation patches after if needed?

heisenbrg

Jan 23, 2018
Großfrostheim
Sadly the games I was looking forward to playing, didn't work :(. Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma, guess I'll have to look for another versions.
You need to use a emulator for these games from the hakchi mod store. The internal emulator from Nintendo does not work with these games.

Look at the youtube channel "Patton Plays" for videos how you can install these emulators.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
You need to use a emulator for these games from the hakchi mod store. The internal emulator from Nintendo does not work with these games.

Look at the youtube channel "Patton Plays" for videos how you can install these emulators.
Not natively but with certain patches they'll work just fine. I don't use Retroarch and I finished Gaia and currently playing through Terranigma with little to no issues on my classic.

demi

Oct 27, 2017

Lul, stop spreading misinformation. Terranigma and Gaia work just fine.

#CANOEBOYS

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
I've not updated to CE either, but that's because I'm sticking with what I have on the system before looking into adding more.

The only CE feature I like the look of is the easy editing of the cover art for the original games. I do recall there is a way around that with 2.21f so you don't have to make a copy of each one. Maybe I should try and find that again whenever I go contemplate making some changes to my setup.

Yes, it's also possible to edit covers art for original games with 2.21f (without replacing or addingx2 the stock games) a mod was available to do that.

Yes, hold "down+select" trigger the reset, but it's a default configuration, you can change it as you wish : I personally prefer a more hand's ergonomic configuration L+R+down (it allows to not move your left hands contrary to hold select, not considering the select button is too flabby) : worth to use when you have to do a lot of rewinds

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
Next noob question :D. My external storage works.. and im really happy because i didn't knew if the otg cable/usb drive would work. My only problem is that if i add a new game to my usb drive, hakchi will always overwrite all my added games again which takes ages. Is there an easy way that hakchi only adds new games to my usb drive instead of everything over again?.

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
Well, it's pretty old, done by DanTheMan827. I've re-uploaded what is needed here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bxgeFqebp_XueVyi13iTRGfwZ6Q4BsqN/view :

1) unzip the 2 hmod folders
2) Put them manually in the "user mods" folder in your hakchi folder
3) In the "box art" folder of "box art installer.hmod" folder, you can find the 21 original covers and their thumbnails
4) Put here the new cover instead of the old (max 228x204 px), with renaming you new cover with the name of the old one (example : CLV-P-SAAAE)
5) open hakchi2 and install the 2 new mods ---> you covers would have been switched to the new one.

After that, if you want to make new changes, it seems to me you have (unfortunately) to uninstall the mods then steps 4) and 5) again
The originals covers will come back if you uninstall the mods.

Yes, it's pretty complicated compared to the easier CE features ^^''

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Well, it's pretty old, done by DanTheMan827. I've re-uploaded what is needed here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bxgeFqebp_XueVyi13iTRGfwZ6Q4BsqN/view

Cheers, I will give it a go!!! I'd already created some alternate covers for the original games, so I'd really like to use them finally haha Hopefully won't be making new changes after that!

EDIT: Done! Looking sexy~

kctu7c7.jpg

Last edited:

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Once Hakchi is installed you can reset using the controller (hold Down + Select for a second).
There are patches to make both games work natively. Check Robin's first and second posts for a link to the archive.

They both work fine with some patches. They should be listed in the compatibility sheet that's linked in the OP.
You can hold down "down+Select" to trigger a reset.

Edit: Well, what Psxphile said. lol

Yes, it's also possible to edit covers art for original games with 2.21f (without replacing or addingx2 the stock games) a mod was available to do that.

Yes, hold "down+select" trigger the reset, but it's a default configuration, you can change it as you wish : I personally prefer a more hand's ergonomic configuration L+R+down (it allows to not move your left hands contrary to hold select, not considering the select button is too flabby) : worth to use when you have to do a lot of rewinds

Thank you so much for the info! I'll look into getting these games to work :D

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
Cheers, I will give it a go!!! I'd already created some alternate covers for the original games, so I'd really like to use them finally haha Hopefully won't be making new changes after that!

EDIT: Done! Looking sexy~

Very nice !! If I wouldn't have been in the mood to keep my covers the closest accurate to original covers (even for added games), I would certainly have used yours : among the most successful custom covers I've seen ! :)

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Very nice !! If I wouldn't have been in the mood to keep my covers the closest accurate to original covers (even for added games), I would certainly have used yours : among the most successful custom covers I've seen ! :)

Well, thank you very much! I'm very much a purist too but this SNES classic hacking business unlocked the 90s fanboy in me and I made my 90s teenage hopes and ideals come true haha

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I helped with it yes

Cool~ I wanted to inquire about Neugier (with EN patch).
Your spreadsheet, nor Robin's and sluffy's seem to have anything special listed for the game yet it completely freezes my SNESc when loading the game. Using CE 3.4.1 for this system, I've tried manually patching a JP rom, tried with SFROM tool manually and integrated into CE, and nothing it yielding playable results. This is oddly giving me trouble.
Any ideas?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, well

Neugier requires a header to patch (look under "Patching Information") - http://www.romhacking.net/translations/398/

So the process should be

No-Intro base (which comes headerless)
Use TUSH to apply a header
Apply Translation
Use TUSH to remove header
Add to SNES

I dont use SFROM Tool so this process may be different. I have this game on my SNES so I know it works

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
So I noticed there are more recent versions of hakchi available now. I am on v2.21f (Version 2.0.21.72) and wondering if and HOW I should upgrade?

Is there a benefit? (like playing Terranigma?)

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018
Do you guys think we will ever get fast forward on canoe through modding?

I love replaying old jrpgs, but I just don't have the time to do it without ff anymore.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
So I noticed there are more recent versions of hakchi available now. I am on v2.21f (Version 2.0.21.72) and wondering if and HOW I should upgrade?

Is there a benefit? (like playing Terranigma?)

Terranigma works just fine on 2.21f. There are a lot of Quality of Life changes if you upgrade but nothing will change the built-in emulator and how it functions.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Ok, well

Neugier requires a header to patch (look under "Patching Information") - http://www.romhacking.net/translations/398/

So the process should be

No-Intro base (which comes headerless)
Use TUSH to apply a header
Apply Translation
Use TUSH to remove header
Add to SNES

I dont use SFROM Tool so this process may be different. I have this game on my SNES so I know it works

Yeah I knew it worked as well from my SFCmini (hakchi2.21f), but this is the first game on CE that's giving me actual trouble.
I followed those steps, but oddly enough I get a C7 error (my first ever) when putting it on as a .smc instead of running through with SFROM.

I know you prefer 2.21f and you apply ips patches manually, so I guess you'd only use SFROM if a game needs a specific fix, yea?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Personally yes. I only used the tool for two games -- Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Star Ocean

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's pretty old, done by DanTheMan827. I've re-uploaded what is needed here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bxgeFqebp_XueVyi13iTRGfwZ6Q4BsqN/view :

1) unzip the 2 hmod folders
2) Put them manually in the "user mods" folder in your hakchi folder
3) In the "box art" folder of "box art installer.hmod" folder, you can find the 21 original covers and their thumbnails
4) Put here the new cover instead of the old (max 228x204 px), with renaming you new cover with the name of the old one (example : CLV-P-SAAAE)
5) open hakchi2 and install the 2 new mods ---> you covers would have been switched to the new one.

After that, if you want to make new changes, it seems to me you have (unfortunately) to uninstall the mods then steps 4) and 5) again
The originals covers will come back if you uninstall the mods.

Yes, it's pretty complicated compared to the easier CE features ^^''
Thanks for this. Will look into this when I finish my play-through of FFVI.

rics2980

Oct 28, 2017
Would anyone know why Dragon Quest 3 Super Famicom version with fan patch does not allow me to get past the opening intro? The game boots but my controller isn't responding for some reason. It will just loop over and over so I can't actually play it. :(

Some background, I used to be able to play it but ended up uninstalling/reinstalling hakchi2 CE and now use a newer version. I tried patching the game over again, tried a prepatched one I had, not letting the game run compressed, some other things I cannot think off the top of my head. Thanks

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone know why Dragon Quest 3 Super Famicom version with fan patch does not allow me to get past the opening intro? The game boots but my controller isn't responding for some reason. It will just loop over and over so I can't actually play it. :(

Some background, I used to be able to play it but ended up uninstalling/reinstalling hakchi2 CE and now use a newer version. I tried patching the game over again, tried a prepatched one I had, not letting the game run compressed, some other things I cannot think off the top of my head. Thanks
not compatible with canoe, you need to use retroarch

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
how can i check again when its a different list than the one in the op

maybe you should have just posted the intructions on how to fix it, instead of being a condescending asshole about it